Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jaguar S-Type

Comments

• lisat4lisat4 Posts: 8
    #1. If the hood is not flush with the edge of the nose facia, you can fix this yourself! Just open the hood and on each side of the front cross member, you will notice a threaded post with a rubber disc on top.These act as postive stops,you can turn them up or down which ever is required to make the edge of the hood rest flush with the front facia.If the hood is off from side to side.The gap between the side edge of the hood with the edge of the fenders.I would have the dealer make this adjustment!

The front edge of our S-Type the day I got it home from the dealer,was about 1/8th inch off from the edge of the front facia on the passenger side of the car.It took several tries but my husband got it perfect,turning the post in and out closing the hood checking and turn the post again close the hood check over again and again till you get right!

The Bridgestone`s are not responible for the stiff ride,you must remember that you purchased a luxury SPORTS sedan. The S-Type is intended to ride a little stiffer than most luxury sedans.Within its class that being luxury SPORTS sedans.It has one of the best rides that we`ve experienced.Better than Cadillac STS,BMW-528i,Lexus GS300,Mercedes E320 and its own cousin the Lincoln LS.

The vibration in the steering wheel my husband noticed on a recent trip we made from Michigan > Las Vegas.We clocked 4600 miles in 2-weeks with our S-Type and came home very pleased with the car. He said he noticed a slight vibration in the steering wheel which could be felt and seen between 65-75 mph cruising the interstates.Some of these highways had pavement as smooth as silk,he said so it has to be the car.He intends on taking this up with the dealer,when he takes it in with a few other little problems. I let you know if the service dept corrects this and what was done.

The Power Moonroof has not been a problem at all on our S-Type.I am sure the dealer will take care of this,sounds like something is loose or the rubber weather seal strip is bad and may have to be replaced.

SURE HOPE I WAS ABLE TO HELP OUT SOME!

As for the Wood Kit let it go, the car has plenty of wood trim as it is! What do you want a luxury sports sedan or a hunting lodge up north!
  • Thanks for the help. Hood problem fixed. Turns out that there are 2 "catches" for the hood and if you do not close it properly, one side looks misaligned. After reading all of the vibation comments, my gut tells me it's not the tires...perhaps bushings.

As for the wood kit, I just want to hide the cheap plastic around the radio. Really a shame that Jaguar didn't finish it off properly.

Got an answer on the sunroof from another Jag site-caused by the roof and the deflector. Lube apparently solves the problem.
  • I have experienced a series of rattles and squeaks on my 4.0 w/ sports pkg. My dealer has worked very hard to fix all the rattles and he has lubricated door mouldings to successfully stop some squeaks. The car is now almost as quiet as my '98 GS 300 - which has never been "treated for rattles" in 2.5 years.

I had the proverbial vibration at 75-85 on my 4.0 - quite bad. The dealer re-balanced all tires (Pirelli P-Zero's) at 2000 miles and improved the situation about 80%, but it was still there at 80-85 - a little nagging vibration. I was convinced that this vibration is "tire related". I took it back to the dealer at 5000 miles who advised that the tires were really the responsibility of Pirelli and that they would take my car to the Pirelli dealer for me that day (Discount Tire, BTW). When I got the car back that same day, I took it for a freeway spin and the vibration was worse - now showing up at 70-75 and disappearing at 90! I decided to take it to another Discount Tire store where I had bought a set of Pirelli P6000 SportVeloce's for my wife's GS 300. I paid them about $48.00 ($12.00/tire), and they said they would do it right. They worked on these tires for 1.5 hrs and as of this moment, my car is about as smooth as our GS 300 at any speed - No vibration in the steering wheel/column. I'm elated with this result.

Discount Tire advised that these tires "will move" or vibrate themselves if not aligned on the wheel in a certain position. Sounds strange to me, but the dealer said something similar the one and only time he tried to balance them. Discount also advised that the previous balancing was 1/2 oz. off on most of the tires. They deflated all the tires and rotated them by as much as 180 deg., re-mounted and re-balanced. Then they inflated the tires to factory pressures which they advise is important as these tires are ultra-high performance tires similar to "racing" tires.

In any case, the result has been excellent and now worth the effort.

One thing to note is "flat spots". These tires will indeed get flat spots when sitting for several days - maybe just for some hours. I made sure that my tires were "hot" just before this last balance by running them about 20 miles on the freeway. I then went straight to the Discount Tire store and just waited for them to do the job. A bit of a hassle, and I do not know if balancing when warm has anything to do with it, but the result was worth it.

It just seems to me that these ultra high performance tires are difficult to balance due to their construction. On the bushings, etc., I do not believe the S-type has any such problem. I really believe all the vibration problems, at least in models above VIN about 50xxx, are tire related. I hope others can get satisfaction as I have done.
  • marsha7marsha7 Posts: 3,676
    Since you mentioned it, could you compare and contrast your opinions of the S-type vs. the GS300? Quality, power, MPG, handling, interior design, maintenance, warranty problems, all the usual questions. To jump from Lexus to Jag is quite a jump. What made you do it?

Thanks for your time.
  • i just got done reading Edmunds' first look at the new jag x-type, and i gotta say im a little upset at the use of ford engines in all models of this car. both of the trim levels uses a ford duratec engine, u cant get a jag engine at all in the new x-type. and also the interior has gone cold and uninspiring. looks much like a german car. no beautiful leather or wood. Connolly leather and burl walnut wood trim is what makes Jaguar a Jaguar. i hope the bigwigs in england know what they're doing over there. it looks like they're turning jaguar into an upscale ford.

i have nothing against ford, or even those of you who drive a s-type 3.0, which uses a ford engine. i just think Jaguar needs to remain independent as possible if they want to keep the image that makes Jaguar the most prestigeous cars out there(aside from Bentley/RR).
  • rea98drea98d Posts: 982
    The engines are only part ford. The valvetrain and heads are entirely Jaguar developed. As far as Jag engines go, I beleive the old straight-6 AJ6 engine was the last "pure" Jaguar engine, and while it was a good one, the ford derived 4.0 V-8 and 3.0 V-6 are great engines in their own right. And while it would be nice if Ford could give Jaguar cars made of 100% Jag-unique components, from a financial standpoint that simply isn't an option. The S-Type, LS, and Thunderbird are all on the same DEW98 platform (Ford's code name for it), and the mustang and XJ8 are soon to be built on that same chassis. If it were simply a Jag platform, Ford would only have two cars returning their investment in this new platform, instead of six. As it is, Ford is doing all they can to keep Jaguar's image unique, and still trying to turn a profit on the billions invested in the British automaker. It may not be the best way of doing it, but it beats sticking the leaping kitty on the hood of a Continental and trying to tell people it's a Jag.
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,747
    The X-type is a small car - similar to the BMW 3-series and intended to be a direct competitor which would explain the germanic characteristics. I doubt very seriously that the Jag straight 6 would fit in the X-type, so they would have had to develop a totally new engine or use the duratec block. As rea98 said, it has Jaguar heads and other components that differentiate it from it's Ford brethren.

The 3.0L duratec V6 in the S-type is much more advanced than the one in the LS which is yet more advanced than the version in the Taurus. About all they share is the casting for the block.
  • What makes you think that the X-type does not have the wood and connolly leather? The entire dash is covered in wood, and there is plenty of the connelly leather as well. The interior is very similar to the XK and XJ.
  • My 2000 4.0 s-type has been great mechanically. A few cosmetic issues - biggest annoyance being the black moldings between the door windows. They get cracks in them - hairline - have to look to see them. The dealer replaced one and a few months later they developed on another panel. This time they are ordering the part - a new one coming in on the 2001 - maybe a different material? Baby the car - no car wash yet in 8 months - can't believe it is something I'm doing. Look at yours for these hairline cracks and tell me if you got them!
  • the dash of the x type is covered (in the pics released a few weeks ago) in dark stained wood. i think the pics are too small to see the dark grain of the wood, but it isnt shiny plastic. this must be a sporty interior version of the car, sort of like the 1995-1999 XJR sedas, with black stained wood and black leather seats. i'd expect the normal non sport versions to have the same color schemes as the XJ and S type.
  • I have my new 2001 3.0 S type for a month now. I really love the car, the way it looks, handles, etc. But early on I read about someone having a terrible smell when they turn on the A.C., so bad that Jaguar gave them a new car! Well when I first turn on my A.C. I too get a horrible smell that eventually clears after 10 minutes or so. I assume it has to due with the "newness" of the car and the ducts or tubing involved in the A.C. cooling system. Anyone else have this problem?
  • I've had a new 2000 3.0 S-Type for a couple of months. I've also noticed a very strong odor (a kind of a gasoline odor) within seconds after starting the car. The odor goes away within a few minutes. I'd love to find out what's causing it (and, more importantly, if it's going to continue to be a problem).
  • Just a note to invite anyone interested in the most active S-Type discussion group on the Internet: The Jaguar Aficionados Group (JAG).
    It is free to all. You may sign up at:
    http://www.markofwestminster.com/signup.html
    You may just read or actively participate.
    Steve
  • I'm considering purchasing a Jaguar S-type 4.0. Unfortunately the closet Jaguar dealer is in North Carolina about 1 1/2 to 2 hours away. Does anyone know if other dealers (i.e. Lincoln) would be able to work on service maintenance or repairs? I'm reluctant to purchase a vehicle where the closet dealer is in another state, but I really do love this car!! Any response would be welcome.
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,747
    The vast majority of the Jag and Lincoln parts are different so I doubt if you could count on a Lincoln dealer for warranty service. Check with the Jag dealer about local service. There may be another authorized repair center in your area other than a dealer.
  • Black moulding between windows-- My S-type Jag has less than 4000 miles, also has hairline stress cracks on the black moulding - driver side is much worse than the passenger side. The finish is beginning to crack off. I'll call my dealer tomorrow and hope something can be done. Love the car.
  • i heard that the present interior is going to be replaced, but when?
    also, when is the station wagon coming out?
  • mvargo1mvargo1 Posts: 298
    I understand that no major changes will take place untill after the introduction of the x-tpye next year and the new XJ the year after that.
  • I would consider Nalley Jaguar in Atlanta before I looked elsewhere. They are great!! I have purchased two Jaguars from them. The sales staff is professional and the service can't be beat. Give them a try. Ask for Bob Lowey. The integrity of this dealership is a model for the whole industry.
    Routine maintenence can be done anywhere. Warrenty work must be done at a Jaguar dealer. However, inquire at several dealers and see if any of the offer valet pick up and delivery for service appts. Here in PA we pick up and deliver all of our service customeres vehicles if they don't feel like stopping by for service. Also roadside assistance will take care of towing the car to the nearest dealer in a dire situation.
  • marsha7 wrote on Oct 29:

"Since you mentioned it, could you compare and contrast your opinions of the -type s. the GS300? Quality, power, MPG, handling, interior design, maintenance, warranty problems, all the usual questions. To jump from nexus to Jag is quite a jump. What made you do it?"

To answer:

I am fortunate to have a company executive car program that allows me to change cars in this category every 2 years. I was extremely pleased with the 98 nexus AS 300 but had never owned a Jag, so I thought Why not?

The 4.0 -type is a great handling/driving car compared to the AS 300 - more power, hugs the road, allows you to "feel" the road, etc. I do not know the AS 400/430, so can't make this comparison. The Jag is also a "cooker" compared to the nexus. The interiors are similar quality and feel, but the Jag has a bit more wood. Still, the Lexus is a much higher quality car vs. the Jag. The main problems I have had with the Jag are related to rattles and squeaks which have been numerous although none real serious. This car is assembled very "loose" compared to the Lexus. The dash has been most problematic with the door panels and the seats being less of a problem. The Jag dealer has been very helpful to solve these problems as they arise, but they seem to keep on coming - but not as fast as at first. There may be hope on this front. I also had a "shimmy" at 75-80 which many owners have reported. A good high speed balance at the local Pirelli dealer (at my own expense) finally fixed this problem. I experienced none of these problems with the Lexus, which my wife still owns and loves (and so do I).

As for mileage, the GS 300 got about 17 in town and 24 on the highway. The Jag gets 2 mpg less on both counts.

I would say my relationship with the Jag S-type 4.0 has been "love-hate". I love the way it drives and the way it looks and feels. And it is a Jag after all. I hate the poor assembly quality although it is improving with age and dealer fixes of the rattles. I will wait and see how the 2002 model is rated in these categories before getting another Jag S-type. I also know what to look for concerning "fit" and quality of the interior components, so it will be quite a bit easier to learn if Jag quality is still improving - which it has done under Ford management up to now.

If I am not absolutely certain of improvements, I will most likely get another GS, perhaps the 430. I do not like the BMW 540, Audi A-6, or the Mercedes 320/430 as well as I do the Jag S or the GS cars, although these are very fine cars indeed.

Hope this helps you guys to make a decision.

Brant
  • I have a 2000 4.0 type that posts "Engine in Fail Safe Mode" on the message board on the dash when it is started in cold weather (below 25 degrees). After car has warmed up, message no longer appears upon re-starting.
    Also, the amber engine icon on the dash is continually lit. I have had the problem checked by two dealers, but they can find no problem.
    Anyone have any ideas?
    MF
  • mpyles1mpyles1 Posts: 90
    I'm the guy who had to replace his first 2000 S-Type 4.0 after 22 days because it was delivered with a broken engine mount, transmission leak, and switched wheels. The replacement car is on its second transmission, second audio head unit, and third engine control module . . . all replaced within the first 10,000 miles.

It's now got 23,000 miles on it, and here's a longer-term quality update. The ball joints had to be changed because of a recall. The original ones had not been properly heat-treated. Ever since their replacement, the car makes an odd thunking noise going over even minor bumps. When turning on the headlights, the dashboard lights now sometimes fail to come on. Usually switching the headlights on and off a few times will bring the dashboard lights up, but not always. The slide-out drawer that holds the phone no longer raises on its springs. I have to lift it upright by hand and hold it steady with one hand while I punch in numbers with another. The leather on the center console armrest is wearing out around the stitching. And the transmission is again experiencing very long delays (over 5 seconds) in engaging reverse.

By contrast, my 1999 Lexus RX300 remains flawless, and my 1996 Miata has had only one very minor repair (a loose door locking arm). Jaguar/Ford quality is an insult to their customers. I'm on the waiting list for a new Lexus SC430 and will NEVER drive another Jaguar.
    I`ve had my 3.0 S-Type for 9-months and 8500 miles. Only problems I1ve had so far is a slight vibration in the steering wheel when cruising at 65-70 mph and a problem with the Cassette Player Ejection. I`am very satisfied with the quality so far and very satisfied with my dealers service dept. I tend to beleive Mercedes, BMW, Lexus or even Audi do not build perfect cars. In the mid-size luxury sedan segment the Jaguar S-Type more than holds its own!
    plus it better looking than anything Lexus has ever put on the road
    You're right about the looks. I'd just rather not spend so much time looking at it in a service bay.
    Just returned from the North American International Auto Show in Detroit. After studying dozens of luxury cars, Jaguar wins hands down! The winners are in Mid-size luxury sedan the S-Type, in Full-size luxury sedan the XJ-8 and in Luxury sportscar the XK-8 Convertible. These three not only win based on Styling, Quality of Materials, Construction and Structurial Integrity, but they represent the best overall value within they`re respective segments! Lexus thumbs down! Infiniti thumbs down! Acura TL super value within Compact Luxury segemt! Mercedes Benz E320 nearest runnerup to the S-Type, but $6-7,000.00 higher than the S-Type sticker price. Audi A6 2.7 Turbo and Cadillac Seville also decent runnerups to the S-Type. Mercedes Benz SL convertible close runnerup to Jaguar XK-8 convertible! Lincoln Town Car Cartier Edition close runnerup to Jaguar XJ-8 sedan. Lincoln LS super value in entry level luxury car! By far and away BEST!-Compact luxury sedan the Mercedes Benz C-Class! Jaguars on one heck of a roll, I just hope they don`t mess it up! This summer they`re coming out with they`re brand new Jaguar X-Type which give BMW-3 series and the Mercedes Benz C-Class a real good run for the money! Keep it up Jag! You seem to really be getting your act together!
    How do you make comparative judgements on "construction and structural integrity" at an auto show other than by accepting the manufacturers' hype at face value?
  • marsha7marsha7 Posts: 3,676
    I was driving on the interstate behind both a Ford Taurus and a Jag S-type...please don't shoot me, but the rear end view of the Jag looks too much like the rear of the Taurus...I know that Ford owns Jag, and that some parts are similar to the LS, but why does the S-type look like the taurus?