Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jaguar S-Type

Comments

• rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,576
    Post was chopped - continued:

But most telling is probably that this is the only sedan I have driven in 10 years that makes me even think that such changes might (MIGHT) be worth looking at. And if my year end bonus comes in at 10 times what I expect. . .

The General Sales Manager offered me an “extended test drive”. Hmmmm . . .

Cheers,
    - Ray
    Pondering alternatives . . .

Links:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=31&article- - _id=594&page_number=1

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?print_page=y&section_- - id=31&article_id=594&page_number=1&preview=

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=39&article- - _id=1893

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedan/112_0207_jaguarstyper/
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,310
    Well, Ray, once again you've generated a very useful treatise.

Being a "buy & hold" kind of car person, I'm keeping my manual LS for the forseeable future. You, on the other hand, move around a bit and give us lucid descriptions of why. Thank you.

However, if I ever choose to spend the kind of money the S-R costs (which is highly unlikely), I would really, really (really) expect it to continue providing the kind of performance you so eloquently describe for well in excess of 100K miles.

. . .without multiple "free" (but enormously time-consuming & intrusive) visits to the dealer to remedy warranty "issues."

. . .without huge expense for mission-critical hardware repair, after the warranty runs out. I'm more willing than most to do without extraneous crap that packs up (in fact, I usually don't want it in the first place), but have a lot of trouble tolerating engine or (especially) transmission problems, or anything else that renders the vehicle dead beside the road, or extremely uncomfortable (windows that fall down in cold and/or rainy weather, for example).

That said, keep the posts in the various boards coming. I can continue my Elmer Fudd approach to car ownership while living vicariously through you.

Good luck!
    "I would really, really (really) expect it to continue providing the kind of performance you so eloquently describe for well in excess of 100K miles. " - cdnpinhead

I share the concern about reliability.

Two things:

1 – I have confirmed that the Jag dealer does, in fact, provide a loaner for all service as long as the vehicle is under warrantee. Lost time / inconvenience is an issue for me.

2 – The quality of Jaguars appears to be improving. This link indicates that Jaguar certainly is expending significant time and effort and $$s in the persuit of quality. Although quality does not necessarily equate to (long term) reliabilioty – Jaguar certainly seems headed in the right direction. . .

http://www.jdpower.com/special/powerreport/jaguar/JaguarSPR.pdf

Cheers,

- Ray

Potential Jag owner . . .
    "Being a "buy & hold" kind of car person"

If I did buy any car this expensive, I would likely become one.

- Ray

WELL aware of what frequent change costs . . .
    My dealer insisted (?) that I take his S-Type R - 3,400 mile 'demo' - for a day.

(See my review from a couple of weeks ago - 20 minute drive of this same car.)

Input on what I should be watching for / should not miss = welcome.

Thanks,

- Ray

Resistance (may be) futile . . .
  • I am interested in buying a used s type which has run less than 30.000 miles. Appreciate it very much if any one could advice whether its worth buying an s type or not. These reviews has really scared me.....Any idea about the s types from 2003 & up.?? Thank you for your time. drchef
  • xkssxkss Posts: 722
    It would likely use the new XJ's aluminum chassis which is 60 % stiffer than its predecessor and 40 per cent lighter than that of the equivalent steel body:

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/jk/images/04jagxjbody.jpg

Future aluminum S-Type?

http://www.jaguarracing.wz.cz/Ruzne/s2007_2.jpg

http://forums.mg-rover.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=15752

I think the grille of that car needs to be smaller but I like it a lot.
    A note: 2005 S-Types use 6 speed ZF automatic transmissions.
    S-Types from 2003 are much improved. The V-8 engine has more power, less emissions, and is smoother. It uses a ZF 6 speed automatic transmission.

2003 S-Types have a 10 % more rigid chassis than pre-2003 S-Types. The S-Type R has an additional brace by the rear subframe which makes it an additional 7 % more rigid.

2003 S-Types basically have an all-new front suspension and a highly modified rear suspension. More aluminum is used in the suspension.

2003 S-Types have a much better interior.
  • I have fallen in love with the jag s type 4.2. Tell me if reliability has improved on this car since the 03 make over. Would you buy a certified off lease or perhaps release one. Money is not a huge issue but I would love not to get stuck with a worthless 6 year old S with no warranty. Also How are the deals at the end of the years on left over new ones.

Thanks
    2005s would be the best to get. The have an aluminum hood.
    They have an aluminum hood. 2005s have some suspension revisions along with a slightly revised interior and exterior.
  • louvglouvg Posts: 1
    I am considering purchasing a 2002 S-Type with 21K miles on it. Can anyone please provide me some feedback as to the reliability I can expect from this car? Thanks.
  • He Louvg,

Not sure where you're, but I bought my 2002 Jag S-Type in Souther Cal last month, I've really done my research and homework and got a pretty good deal (you might want to talk to Terry in Smart Shopper's forum too).

2002 Jag S-Type 3.0
    28,500 miles
    Listed Price: $29,900
    Got it for: $26,400
    Platinum Exterior/Black interior
    Options: Premium Package, Sports Package, Premium Sound, Moonroof, Navigation, Memory Seat.
    Jag Select Edition, 6 year, 100,000 mile warranty. The basic warranty pays the maintinance up to 40,000 miles.

I can't believe how many people thought I've bought a brand new car, when they saw the car their first reaction was that I've bought a brand new Jag! The car's really well maintained, and the leather actually looks very new. I've been getting a lot of praise and I absolutely love the car. It's really beautiful and the elegant line is stunning.

So far I've not had any problem except for the front window that makes squaky noise, which the dealer told me they would take care of. Jaguar's customer service has also been very excellent, they were friendly and willing to negotiate. Before I bought the car I've heard a lot of rumors about Jag's reliability, I've hesitated and I've decided on the Select Edition (which ranks #1 by Inteli Choice), it's probably a good idea even though my Jag has been flawless.

Anyway- happy car shopping!
  • drchefdrchef Posts: 2
    Thank you xkss for your reply. I am gonna start the hunt soon after filing my taxes.I really like this cat very much!!!
  • vitzyvitzy Posts: 1
    My 2000 S-type developed a miss in the number 4 cylinder. Can anyone tell me the location of the number 4 cylinder. This has been a great car - 93,000 miles with minimal maintenance. Love the vehicle.
  • Ok so I just purchased a 2000 S-Type with 92k miles. Although I have only had it for 3 days, it has already given me an awful experience. Last night I come home and park on my drive way wich is slightly up-hill. This morning I turn the egnition on and what do you know??!!... can't get it to move from Park.. it is just stuck there. I called road side assistance and they said to have someone rock the car back and forth while I try to put in in reverse. This was ridiculouse. It was literaly locked on Park because I had parked it up-hill. Anyone ever heard of this??.. anyway.. I had to have my car towed to Jaguar because now I can't get positioned to any other gear.
    what do you think of this?

I think the next S-Type would look nice with a front end like that of the 2001 Jaguar R Coupe.

I hope the next S-Type uses the new XJ's aluminum chassis. The new XJ's aluminum chassis is 40 % lighter and 60 % stiffer than if it were steel. Aluminum construction helps the 2005 Jaguar Super V8, the flagship XJ, weigh over 800 pounds less than a BMW 760Li.

• Hello All,
    I just traded my x type for a 2002 SType 4.0. It is loaded with Dynamic stability control, and a Navigation system. so far I LOVE it. Can anyone tell me where I got to get new CD for the Navigation, or is there a NATIONAL CD for all areas versus the Zoned one I have today?.
    Thank you all....
  • pripri Posts: 9
    Looks like a Bugatti.

PRI
    as well as the 2001 Jaguar R Coupe and the 2003 Jaguar RD-6.
  • trktrk Posts: 1
    Yes. I have heard of this. Please ask Jaguar for definitive info. since your car was at the dealer. Apparently this is somewhat common. That is, the car wil get stuck in park if it "settles" after shifted into "Park." The word "cables" was used?

AAA can lift your rear wheels ... retension the drivetrain if-you-will ... and off you go.

Ain't happened to me though.
  • Aparrently the "cable" was stuck on park. They said to make sure and use the hand break before setting the car on park because it can lock if I don't do it in this order. It's silly. I never had a problem like this with any other car I've ever owned.
    The next Jaguar S-Type will likely use the new XJ's aluminum chassis. The car shown has styling cues from the 2001 Jaguar R Coupe and the 2003 Jaguar RD-6. What do you think of it?

• tcjefftcjeff Posts: 23
    When my mother's S-type locked up yesterday, the "helpful" AAA driver she called muscled the gear selector trying to move it out of Park and broke the cable that connects the gear selector to the transmission. The repair bill is $1750 and now the dealer tells us to always set the parking brake before putting the car into Park. Is this generally known by other S-type owners? Parking on a slope and not setting the parking brake first is what causes this problem, the dealer informed us, but it is rare for my mother to park on any kind of slope! Strange.
  • fowler3fowler3 Posts: 1,919
    I have heard to do that with all AT cars: Set the brake first to take the strain off of the AT. It can be level or on a hill, doesn't matter. Ever notice when you turn the ignition off and it's in Park it will move slightly? That contributes to lockups too.

Pilots have a standard routine they go through starting a plane and shutting it down. It is always considered "flying" (moving) until the engine is shutdown, that's why you can't get up and start to leave on airliners at gates -- everything has to be OFF. In the same way, you should think of your sport sedans as more than just a car and have a shutdown routine which includes setting the handbrake first and then the AT in Park. Actually, shutdown all electronics first (lights, radio, etc.), then set the handbrake, then the AT, then shut the engine down (ignition off). Additionally, what this routine does is let the A/C evaporate condensed moisture, which prevents mold/bacteria build-up causing bad odors, as well as other problems. You aren't driving a plain old car -- you are driving an F-16 on wheels. ;)

The other reason to set the handbrake first: ATs can slip into gear and at idle move the car if it is left unattended momentarily. With the brake set movement is prevented. Safety precaution!

fowler3
  • pluviouspluvious Posts: 7
    I'm shopping for a Jaguar S-Type 3.0 and I was hoping for some tips to get the best deal from the dealer. I'm looking at both purchasing and leasing. Any suggestions on how to approach this?

Also, they have a 2003 S-Type 3.0 fully loaded with 17K miles for $28K. Is this a good deal?

Your input is appreciated.
  • pluviouspluvious Posts: 7
    fowler3, that is some great information. Thanks!