Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jaguar S-Type

Comments

• Don't panic. The same thing happened to me in my Olds 98 when I was much younger. Turned out to be a gasket in the steering pump!
  • At what cost can man fix it. How do you convince a wife the vehicle is safe when it end up on the wrong side of the road with no steering! We love the car, however we have no confidence in the one we purchased. The dealer said the "rack assembly" failed and will take ten day's to get the part from England. The car was purchased for the wife who wanted a Lexus and now she is scared to even get back in it with our young daughter.

Thanks to all for your comments
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,665
    I understand her being reluctant but you have to explain how rare this type of failure is and that they're replacing the entire steering rack to fix it. Take it out and really work the steering when you get it back. How would she feel if a tire had blown out at 70 mph and all the tires were replaced with new ones and inspected very carefully? She'll probably get over it but those first few days may be tough - especially if she wanted the Lexus to begin with. This just might be her excuse. If so, just get it over with and trade it for the Lexus. If she ain't happy - you ain't happy!
  • kinleykinley Posts: 854
    He only married one of them. It is more economical in the long run to buy her what she wants as it is cheaper than a divorce. "If Mama ain't happy, nobody is happy" is a truism. Let her develop the Lexus dealer's patience.
  • rocxsrocxs Posts: 1
    Through a business transaction, We have come to own a brand new, 2003, S type with 700 miles. I have the original purchase order, including all taxes and dealer b.s. the price was $57553. What is the retail value of this car if I attempt to sell it myself? What is the wholesale value of the car through an auction or to a high end dealer?

The car is in Tampa, FL. Anybody interested?
    I would guess you might be able to get $50K private party for it (assuming $57K didn't include taxes). As for wholesale just take it to a dealer or call them and get a price. You won't find much data for such a new vehicle on the web. My guess is a dealer might only give you $45K for it but that's just a guess.
  • This is basically a Lincoln, right? Are repair and maintenance costs (e.g., brakes, radiator flush, tranny) about the same as a Lincoln (ford)? Thanks.
    No, this isn't "just a Lincoln". Even though they share a jointly developed 'platform' and basic engine blocks they are totally different vehicles. Different engines, different interiors, different suspensions, different exterior. The number of actual shared components is extremely small - probably less than 20%.

It's a Jag and the maintenance is no different than any other Jag. And I'm a Lincoln LS owner, not a S-type owner, so I'm not biased.
  • Yes, you can get the same car with more interior room for $9k less. Why are you all paying the extra? Is it styling, quality of build (really, with this much extra I could make the interior look like a BMW, and the exterior like a Boxter) or prestige value (who will unabashedly admit to the latter)
        Looks to me like the Marketers are trying to put one over on us. Death to the phrase "going up-market"!
        Also, who votes for the 3.0 V6 to be replaced by a 3.4 V6? - - it is simply too small for the weight it has to pull!
  • kinleykinley Posts: 854
    But, in Reno it's a lot handier. What is the handyness of repair rating of rare cars in remote locations?
  • Anyone know what stock Alpine model is installed in the S-Type? I am interested in adding XM radio but I don't know if it can connect to the current Alpine or do I have to replace it? Also any idea where to get the communication system if my dealer does not sell the car with one?

Thanks
  • I am looking for a 2003 S Type 4.2 ebony with tan interior, nav system, alpine sound, heated seats, xenon lights. Does yours match?
  • There is an archived discussion ending on 08/19/02 on the above topic. I am now in the market for one or the other. Should I request that topic be reopened or just start here?
    What questions do you have? This is really a personal choice and not something that can be debated (although many try). Which model(s)? 525, 530, 540, M5? 3.0 or 4.2 S-type? What are your priorities? You can't go wrong with either one.
  • I'm a dealer.. and I wholesale a LOT of used S-Types (I just bought 5 of them last week for example). So, figure I have about 15 pass through my hands a month.. times, say, 3 years... I've probably handled over 350-400 being a tad conservative.

I have NEVER seen that problem. EVER.

But here's what I have seen:

A 2000 LS400 caught on fire at an auction.
    A Rolls Royce with low miles that had been fanatically maintained throw a rod.
    A 2003 Honda Accord with a bad transmission.

ANYTHING can break on ANY car. Hope the above is some consolation.. I'm sure the car will be fine.

Bill
  • Is it a 4.0?? If so it can't be a 2003. 2003s use the 4.2L engine!

What options does it have? Color combo? etc?

I can give you an idea of market if I have some more info...

Bill
  • Bill! You're back! I'm so happy to see you!
  • Good to be back!

Wait till you get to drive the X350 :D
  • A chance to drive any Jag is a treat! :-D