Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jaguar S-Type

Comments

• rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,477
    Congrats!
    Sounds like a very nice car indeed.
    Once you have driven it on the highway at least a couple of times, could you post the MPG you are seeing at, say, 65 - 75 / 80 mph?
    Thanks,
    - Ray
    Wondering how the 6-speed trans helps in this situation compared to the Lincoln LS8 . . .
  • msteirmsteir Posts: 1
    I have just had to replace front sway bar bushings at cost of over $300 even though my car has virually all highway miles and is only 2 years old. I understand Jaguar has had problems with bushings on S-Type and had to redesign several times. Has anyone had similar problems? Jaguar denied my appeal for warranty coverage and refuses to admit problem or cover cost.
  • mfprmfpr Posts: 41
    On two trips, on relatively flat Interstate, traveling between 65-75 MPH, I recorded around 31 MPG. I am amazed at the fuel efficiency of the 4.2L engine and 6-speed transmission. Prior to my S-Type, I had an X-Type 3.0 manual transmission, and the S-Type gets better mileage.
  • rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,477
    Wow - VERY cool!
    The deep O/D 6th must really help!
    Thanks,
    - Ray
    Who cannot currently match those numbers . . .
  • merrelmerrel Posts: 45
    My wife had a 2001 Jag S and just got a new 2003. What a difference. Both 6 cyl. The 2003 has much better ride and suspension. That stupid emergency brake next to passenger seat has been taken away thank goodness. The new dash is a smaller version of the XJ8 and looks more like a Jag. The trade in diff was too much but so is the new 2003. If you're gonna buy a used S buy a used '03 not the 01 or 02. Major changes for the better. '01 and '02 is identical.
  • ivyfchuivyfchu Posts: 21
    I am thinking about getting a 2003 s-type and cannot decide whether to get a v6 or v8. Is the acceleration for the v6 (auto trans) sufficient?
  • bhill2bhill2 Posts: 1,275
    IMHO you should go for the v8. It's not that the v6 is inadequate, that's a matter of personal taste and you would have to decide. But the v8 is just a sweet, smooth, powerful engine, and I wouldn't want to give that up.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv, 2001 Jaguar XK cnv, 1985 MB 380SE (the best of the lot)

Thanks for the advice. I was leaning towards the v8 anyway. One other question - Is the standard stereo system good enough? I really don't want to spend more money to get the premium sound. Also, does anyone know what the 2004 upgrades on the S-types will be?
  • It's interesting to read all the posts on the S-Type Jaguar. My family always had Jags and I am familiar with good mechanics. But I've read that since Ford took over, the Jag. has fewer problems. I've found several 2003s for sale and they all seem to be hovering at an asking price of about 48,000-51,000. Does this sound all right? This is with the Alpine sound system, the Nav. System, a Sports pack., and a moonroof. Any comments? I am on the brink of plunking down my money. Oh, has anyone used Jaguar financing? It's either that or my Credit Union....but I'd love to hear what you think. Thanks. D.
  • It's interesting to read all the posts on the S-Type Jaguar. My family always had Jags and I am familiar with good mechanics. But I've read that since Ford took over, the Jag. has fewer problems. I've found several 2003s for sale and they all seem to be hovering at an asking price of about 48,000-51,000. Does this sound all right? This is with the Alpine sound system, the Nav. System, a Sports pack., and a moon roof. Any comments? I am on the brink of plunking down my money. Oh, has anyone used Jaguar financing? It's either that or my Credit Union, but I'd love to hear what you think. Thanks. D.
  • http://www.imakenews.com/autospies/e_article000179084.cfm

Well, it looks like the magazines have finally decided to actually test the cars instead of just relying upon who advertizes the most in their publications! The "S" stands for "Superior." I've been saying this all along...

Here's the cover of one of the magazines that says how the S-type is the top car in its class:

http://a298.g.akamai.net/7/298/5382/082903015613/www.eletra.com/a- utospies/word_images/9964712_image001.jpg
  • Will she be happy with her purchase? The car drives like a dream. She has previously owned a RX 300 and wanted to switch to something with more sporty handling. Is the 2003 model improved in reliability and handling than previous year's models?
  • My wife purchased a 2003 4.2L S-type last week. When examining the back of the car in the garage, I noticed that rust is starting to form around the top of both tailpipes on what I think is the muffler.

Is this acceptable for a $50,000 car? Should I be able to get the dealer to fix this under warranty? The car only has 180 miles on it!
  • I own a 2000 S-type Jaguar 3.0 and am looking for a technical workshop manual on CD rom.
    Thanks for your help.
    Jean-Pierre Greengrass
    Paris - France

greengrass@wanadoo.fr
  • the car is selling for 20k I think it may have been wrecked, I was going to go check it out to see how it ran, what do u guys think of me buying a jag like this, are repairs expense? I don't plan to keep the car long...maybe 6 mons..let me know, thanks!
  • bob550kbob550k Posts: 148
    Two weeks ago I bought a Navigator, nice car but not for me. It is currently for sale.

So I've been looking at and test driving 2000 4.0 S types. Why do some of the cars have small strips of chrome below the head lights and some are color keyed to match the paint? I'm trying to figure out how to easily spot the sport package. I know about the seven spoke wheels but some non sport pack cars have the wheels. Is there an easy way to spot the sport pack other than the wheels? These cars drive very well and the V8 has nice power. Also, how do I determine the optional stereo (without listening to it)? I will be buying one but I'm learning about the car right now.

Thanks
    I just got quoted for the following:

2003 S-Type 4.2L
    with xenon head lights
    39 month lease
    10k miles per year
    $650 a month with no money down

This sounds like a decent deal but do you think I can get something better?
  • s852s852 Posts: 1,051
    I may be looking at spending about $30K on a car next year. I figure I should be able to get a nice certified 2001 S-type 4.0 lease return with 30-40K miles and the 6 year 100K miles Jaguar used car warranty. I would plan on driving it for around 2 years and then selling it while it still had over a year of the remaining warranty available to a future buyer.
    Are 2001's recommended used cars?
    Should this be better than just buying or leasing a new 2004 X-type 3.0 for 3 years and having a brand new car instead with lower maintenance costs?
  • ctjagctjag Posts: 1
    Dealer claims that this is a "quirk" in this and other Jaguar models. Slowly removing pressure from brake pedal produces a "rubbing Squeal", sorry very hard to describe sounds. Only when releasing pressure on pedal and if you tap the brake you can cause the sound to continue to occur. Sound is louder inside the vehicle than on the outside. Any thoughts or similar experiences. Thanks