Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jaguar S-Type

Comments

• cerocceroc Posts: 2
    Ford doesn't allow X Plan on Jaguars, but I'm not sure about A Plan.
  • I have a 2001 S-Type 3.0 and recently brought the car in for the ball joint inspection. The ball joints were inspected/replaced? and since then recently when I went over a small pot hole I thought the wheel fell off! It made such a loud noise that I couldn't wait to pull into my garage to check the wheels. It happened twice. At first it sounded like the front right wheel then the back wheel or trunk???
    Mark snowed in in N.Y..
  • mvargo1mvargo1 Posts: 298
    I've sold Jaguars on X-plan. So unless this is a new policy I believe you are in error.
  • giowagiowa Posts: 599
    Check out the 4/01 issue of Motor Trend, page 152. Have a 1-year test update of 2000 Jag S-type. They noted that their car "had its front suspension tightened to eliminate a slight clunking noise".
  • but it's a 99 Mitsubishi Diamante I bought new about 18 months ago.

The noise was from the trunk area and would occur when I hit a pot hole or went over a speed bump, and could be replicated by bouncing the rear of a car at a standstill. We showed it to the service manager at the dealer, and he reported that a "coil needed to be rebedded" on the suspension. They were able to fix it quickly.

Hope this helps...
  • pluskinpluskin Posts: 79
    A-plan and X-plan purchases are allowed for every brand associated with FoMoCo, except for Aston Martin. Certain vehicles may not be eligible, because of demand. No dealer has to sell you anything under the plan.
  • jago6jago6 Posts: 2
    The engine light came on in our S type so we took it to the dealer. They said the light came on because mice had chewed some of the wires in the engine. We don't keep the car in our garage. The service guy said that he has seen a disproportional amount of S types with this problem and thinks that maybe there is something in the engine that attracts mice. We have lived here for 9 years and have never had this problem nor have any of our neighbors. Has anyone else heard of this problem?
  • giowagiowa Posts: 599
    take some solace in that the mice have great taste in cars. They go for the classier Jags. At least they are leaving my '00 Lincoln LS8 alone. Maybe they are attracted to the real wood? Guess I should be glad I have plastic?
  • cartesiocartesio Posts: 36
    Interesting story. My neighbor has a new XJ but keeps an '88 Eldorado for snow. A few years ago, the Cadillac wouldn't start. Turned out that squirrels had eaten most of the insulation in the engine compartment, and also had built nests there! (It sits outside.) So, your experience is not unheard of....
    Happy motoring anyway!
  • marsha7marsha7 Posts: 3,666
    you had better be nice to the squirrels, or we will re-classify a rain puddle into a wetland and anchor your car there forever:):):):):)
  • 67106710 Posts: 2
    Answer to post #97 ceroc...heard that 02's interior will feature new dash/instruments... along the lines of the forthcoming X type.... also all the new safety features in the X type will probably be incorporated in the X's,i.. side curtain airbags..it would only make sense.... perhaps Jag will get the interior back to tradition. Too bad it wasn't done right when the car was released. For more info. try jagtalk.com
  • ourjagourjag Posts: 10
    The last time I took our S-Type into the dealership in early Febuary for service. I was sitting in the service dept. customer waiting lounge and overheard a Ford Motor excutive discussing the X-Plan with one of the dealers new car salesmen. I didn`t catch it all but it sounds as if Ford had done away with the X-Plan. But they had replaced it with a new program which I can not remember the name. The Ford excutive and the dealers salesman were discussing the details of the new program, which I didn`t really catch! It did sound as though substantial changes had been made in comparsion to the former X-Plan. So if your planning to purchase a Jaguar via this route, you should first contact Jaguar Motorcars or Ford Motor Company or your local Jaguar dealer. Good Luck! An S-Type is sure a lot of Honey for the Money and if your able to purchase through either Fords A or ?-Plans you`ll get $5,000.00-$6,000.00 off sticker! WOW! even more Honey for the Money!!!!!
  • harriettharriett Posts: 3
    Has anyone else had battery problems after leaving their car sit for 10 days or so?. I hate to have to rely on a "maintainer" as suggested.
  • i am considering purchasing a new 3.0 S-type. If you own one, i would like your opinion.
    We have had our S-Type 10-months and 9000 miles. Have experienced one minor recall and two minor warranty claims of our own. Handling Excellent, 3.0 liter 24 Valve DOHC V-6 Engine More Than Adaquate Power, Ride slightly firm but still that of a road car! Slightly firm because it is tagged and designed as a mid-sized luxury SPORTS sedan. Brakes the very BEST! Interior contemporary styling high quality leather and wood trim second to none in its segment that being mid-sized luxury sedans. I would rate Mercedes Benz E320 2nd best interior in this segment and Mercedes E320 cost $6-7,000.00 higher than the S-Type equally equipped. Go with the standard suspension with 16 inch wheels and tires Bridgestone Turanza`s. Heard you`ll catch hell with the Sports Pkg that includes Pirelli 17 inch low/profile tires and 17 inch Sports rims. I`ve heard the Pirelli`s don`t go in snow besides the low/profile tires diminish the Highway Ride of the S-Type! Things have slowed down with the economy and cars sales in general so right now you can really get a nice deal on a 2001 Jaguar 3.0 S-type. Then you can join me as a fellow teamster behind the wheel of the most BEAUTIFUL & ELEGANT Mid-sized Luxury Sports sedan in the entire universe! Lexus GS-300, Acura RL, Infiniti Q45, BMW 528i, Audi A6, Mercedes Benz E320 and Cadillac Seville EAT your GAS tanks OUT!!!!
  • praxis1praxis1 Posts: 2
    Hi, have a 99 S-type for almost 2 years and so far so good, but I'm only 5'6 and would like the power seat to go higher a little more. Would appreciate information if an adjustment could be done or maybe if a aftermarket product is available to solve the probelm.

tks
  • The thunking started several months ago. The mechanic, in order to fix this problem, tightened the shock tower nuts. That did nothing and the thunking continued. When I brought the car back to the mechanic he replaced the rear shocks. As of this date the thunking continues.

Has anybody had any success in getting rid of this thunking noise. It's really disconcerting - I feel the bottom of the car is going to drop out.
  • icdchessicdchess Posts: 83
    If you own or are considering an S-Type (or X-Type), you may wish to visit a VERY active discussion board which concentrates on those two models. There are now over 1000 members!

It is completely free and no one will try to sell you anything (thank goodness). It's Jagtalk.com

http://www.Jagtalk.com

Steve
  • im_brentwoodim_brentwood Posts: 4,883
    Hmm... that's surprising...

The wood in my 95 Vanden Plas with 121K ungaraged also mostly FL miles is still nice and dark...

Ditto our 97 XJ6 with 56K.. that's also a Florida car.

Odd... it used to be a problem but I hear they are using a new process. Seems to be working!

Bill
    95,97,99 sedans..
    We purchased our 2000 Jaguar S-Type in April 2000 and it is the BEST! mid-sized luxury sports sedan in the world!!!