Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Colorado and GMC Canyon ABS Fault Issues

Comments

• I'm having a similar problem with my 06 Colorado. I had my front brakes replaced this past Feb. even though my truck only had 38k miles on it. Cost about $750. The guys at the repair place said the brakes on my truck take a ton of labor to take apart and this was the main reason for the repairs costing so much.

A few months later the ABS fault light blinked on. It turned off after shutting off the truck but after another couple of days it turned back on again. Around this time the ABS started to engage when I was just coming to a stop when only going about 10 MPH. I took the truck back into the shop and was told it would cost only about $50 for new ABS sensors but taking the brake system apart would be another 6 hours of labor and probably cost about $800.

I wish I could do these repairs myself but I can't. I wish I could afford to just get it fixed, but how much money will I have to put into this truck to fix a problem GM seemed to create (based on the amount of similar complaints here). So, for now, I just drive with the ABS randomly going off. This is what my repair shop, unofficially, told me to do. They even thought it was a rip off.
  • I have a 2005 Colorado with 42,000 miles. ABS Fault light comes on often, and usually resets after turning the truck off and then on. Does anyone know if there's a recall for this issue ?
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,055
    mrdadrox,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle. Have you had the vehicle diagnosed by a GM dealership? Were you planning on having the vehicle fixed? Please keep me posted.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • lynnie63lynnie63 Posts: 7
    edited September 2011
    I am so glad to have found this forum while researching what is going on with my 2006 Colorado. I am having the very same problems as all of you with my ABS brakes and in general many electrical issues. I have never replaced so many bulbs in a truck as this one! I had a blower replaced in 2008 and this past year the wiring harness to the blower melted and had to get wiring redone. As for the ABS I took it to two places and one told me it was ABS sensor the other told me to pull the fuse! When I took the fuse out it seemed that although my warning lights were on I didn't have any problems with the ABS brakes engaging, or perhaps it was coincidence. I am not any bit mechanically inclined to know much of fixing vehicles and other than check my tire pressure, check oil and fluids and fill my gas tank I have to be at the mercy of mechanics. Yesterday my ABS brakes engaged once again going down my side street at about 20-25mph, no lights came on my dash and after shutting the vehicle off and restarting it I am fine once again. I do a lot of traveling with my truck and I am getting worried about the safety of my vehicle. I can't afford to spend the money for new ABS sensors and especially if it might not even be the problem. This is my first Chevy and I think the last. The last time I took it to the dealer the ABS lights on the dash weren't on and it was fine so they couldn't do anything about it. I have told them about all the electrical problems and they don't even seem concerned. I would like to stay tuned here on this forum to see what we can do to get this resolved. Thanks for listening!
    robbinsfamily,

I would be happy to see if your vehicle has a recall. Please email us your VIN and current mileage.

You can get my email by clicking on gmcustsvc.

Thank you,
    lynnie63,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle. When was the last time you have taken your vehicle to the dealership and what is the name of the dealer?

Thank you,
  • lynnie63lynnie63 Posts: 7
    edited September 2011
    Thanks Caron. The last time I brought my truck to the dealership was May 17th 2011. At the time I was having problems with my ABS but since the warning lights weren't on they didn't see any problem.(cost $36.00) I also was experiencing problems with my heater/ac blower (blower only worked on highest setting) and had the heater blower resistor and connector replaced. They told me that the wiring had actually melted! Is this normal?? The dealership is Hight, Farmington ME.

On May 6th I brought my truck to Midas where I currently live and they did the diagnostic stating that the ABS sensor on the right front wheel was bad and it was about an 800.00 job! (why didn't Hight see that on the 17th?) I went somewhere else and they told me to take out the fuse and it bought me quite a bit of time! Fuse has been back in for quite a while now since I had to take the truck for inspection and didn't want all the lights on my dash!
    lynnie63,

I would like to set up a case with GM Customer Assistance. In order to start the process I will need your complete contact information (including full name, mailing address and phone number), VIN and current mileage sent to me in an email. Also, could you please provide a description of the problems you are experiencing or just include your user name from the forum?

You can get my email by clicking on gmcustsvc.

Thank you,
  • cdsoundzdjcdsoundzdj Posts: 4
    edited September 2011
    I had it replaced at my local garage as the dealership kept giving me the run-around about my brakes not needing repair. The hub was replaced as was the sensor about 8 months ago. I just recently had my front brakes replaced for the first time since I purchased the truck and the ABS fault resumed randomly showing up . . . again.

What concerns me the most is that the ABS is actually kicking in without me even applying the brake at all. This to me is a safety issue. My concern grows even more as winter approaches and I live in the northeast where snow is heavy. 98% of the time it happens within the first few miles of driving, and as of recent I noticed that if I put the truck in neutral and turn it off and restart it, the ABS activating stops and the fault does NOT register.

It appears that I am not alone with this problem and hope you can assist get it resolved.

Thanks in advance for your assistance and I apologize for not posting back sooner as I am caring for my 81 year old father-in-law.
    cdsoundzdj,

I completely understand. What I would like to do is set up a case with GM Customer Assistance. In order to start the process I will need your complete contact information (including full name, mailing address and phone number), VIN, current mileage and the involved dealership sent to me in an email. Also, could you please provide a brief description of the problems you are experiencing?

Thank you,
  • I have an 2006 Colorado ext. cab with 38050 miles on it. the abs alarm started to alarm off and on about 2 months ago. i can not get it to a shop before the alarm goes off . i have had the abs checked for codes The codes are c0035,c0040,c0899,u1064, i can understand the battery code as i had to have the battery replaced at 35,000 miles. i cannot afford a lot of expense to repair as i am on a fixed income i need to know just what needs to be repaired. thanks bear3985
  • what is the email address that i send this information to thanks bear3985
    bear3985,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle. Unfortunately, I am unable to diagnose the vehicle. I would encourage you to take your vehicle into your local GM dealership as they are better qualified to diagnose the vehicle.

Thank you,
  • What is the email address to send my info to?

Is this it? socialmedia@gm.com
    cdsoundzdj,
    That is the correct email. Please put your Edmunds user name is the subject line. Thank you!
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • I'm having the same ABS fault problems on my 2005 Chevy Colorado. Its not clear to me from reading through this forum including the answers from the GM service representative whether or not this is a safety issue. If there is a design flaw I'm hoping GM steps up and does the right thing informing Colorado owners of this problem.
  • kmartickmartic Posts: 12
    As I have been following these brake problems for some time I always see GM responses about starting cases. I would like to know if anyone has had GM actually help them. It seems all that gets done is to advise owners to take the truck to a dealership for repair at exorbitant costs. Please respond if anyone has actually been helped by GM for these defaults
    jerseyswamp,
    I apologize for your frustrations. If you would email me with your VIN, current mileage, and involved dealer I would be happy to look into this for you. I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • The deal GM offered me was, I pay labor cost & GM pays parts cost. Doesn't that sound like GM admitting a faulty part? I felt I had no option and accepted their offer. Labor cost was $181.40. So yes GM did help but not to my satisfaction. My vehicle only had 22k on it.
  • gthomas74gthomas74 Posts: 1
    edited October 2011
    I was just wondering of those who have had there bad speed sensor replaced how much did it cost to replace it? I am told it will be 530.00 to replace cause it takes about three hours to install it properly.