Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Colorado and GMC Canyon ABS Fault Issues

Comments

• gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Posts: 1,964
    edited February 2012
    Thank you for that information, Mr. Overdorf,

I believe I have found your file in our database using your VIN. Has your address changed since September of 2009 (when you last had a request open with us)? I have opened a new case, and for your records that number is 71-1039872072.

If you would please send us an email verifying your current address and phone number, and if you would please also include your current mileage on the Colorado, we will move forward from there.

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • Where had you gotten your brakes checked? If it was with a GM dealership, we'd be happy to follow up with them and learn more for you.

Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • My breaks were checked at a local garage. I can arrange to have the breaks checked at Kenny Ross's in Somerset, PA, where I bought the truck. I'm just not willing to pay them double the money to fix the ABS that a regular garage would charge half of. I also printed all the complaints to take a long to Kenny Ross's. I will be going this Saturday, Feb 18. I'm truly thinking of trading this truck if some type of arrangement can't be made. My last vehicle was a 98 Ford Ranger that ran great and lasted me years (and was much cheaper). This is quite ridicoulous that this has not been a recall with all the complaints from owners.
  • Please keep us posted on how the visit goes tomorrow, tammy72. If you would like to get a Service Request set up at all through us, please send us an email (include your name/Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and dealership) at the address in my profile.

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • kpokpo Posts: 24
    Sarah, 2-18-2012 12:12AM
    Since you have advised Colorado owners to take their pickup to a GM/ Chevy dealer to 'look' at the problem, I am curious as to what one should expect from said company.
    Is there a recall on the ABS system yet?
    If a person decides to take his /her Colorado to a Chevy dealer for this ABS issue (and many others that seem to be universal), what are the agreed arrangements between parties for payment, service, diagnostics and resolution followup? Is the GM company going to step up with integrity or just talk a game?
    Ken / KPO
  • I went to the Kenny Ross dealership this morning to find out why the abs fault light is on and my brake pedel gets hard and will not stop me until the ABS fault light comes on. Well like everyone else on this forum, both sensors need replaced. Surprise!!! I will be taking action to this problem. This is definately a safety issue. I bought this crew cab truck because I have a new granddaughter and needed something with a back seat, and I always drove trucks. I wish I would have kept my 1998 Ford Ranger. At least there were never any major problems with it. I also noticed none of the GM reps on here talk about the safety issue. When there is snow on the road, the truck slides real quick when the abs is acting up. This entire forum will be on my attorneys desk come next week. I don't mess around when it comes to my family!
  • n9cvn9cv Posts: 30
    It is interesting that BOTH sensors are bad at exactly the same time. I question the diagnosis.
  • I stood there right beside them as they hooked the computer up ( which at first kept getting commication lost due to bad connection) right abs code, then left abs code. I took the fuse out this morning. I will be dealing with this my own way. Once again, the subject of a recall is ignored. This is frustrating to me. But if interested, you can call Kenny Ross in Somerset and speak to Tom Ling. He's the service rep that did the diagnosis.
  • I was involved (and at fault) for an accident on Feb 23, 2012, While on the way home, i rear ended a vehicle, but when i realized i was approaching a stopped vehicle, i pressed the brake pedal and felt a very hard vibration, (it felt like a jack hammer in the pedal), and the brakes did not engage and i hit them, This is the second time this has happened in a chevrolet made truck. i drive a 2006 chevy colorado xtreme, i heard there was a recall on something to do with the brake system, but looking online i have not found anything, after the accident, my truck was still driveable, and the brakes worked fine. I have not had any problems with them before, but the same thing happened 12 years ago in my new s-10. can anyone offer any insight as to why this has happened, or if it is faulty manufacturer parts? i bought the truck from a chevy dealership in SC and have only had the truck for 5 months. the truck has 51k miles on it and is still under warranty at this moment.
  • i forgot to mention the abs engaged 30-35mph, i spoke to a mechanic at a dealership and he told me that it was the abs, and it was doing what it was intended to do, i told him how fast i was going, and what it did, with the jack hammering in the pedal, and felt that it did not slow down at all, and he said the abs acts as a foot pump on a much faster level, and that when it senses a lock up the abs comes on and frees the wheel to avoid and control loss, i asked him at my vehicles discretion considering i was not going very fast, that it takes it upon itself to compromise my ability to stop rather than lose control, and he said he would nto use the term compromise, and he ahd to go becuase they were short handed.
  • Im starting to really regret buying this truck thinking about it now, my airbag was not deployed either, at a 35 mph accident, im going to talk to an attorney this morning after i go to Gm to find out why my airbag did not deploy, im going to have some pitures taken, im really freaked out about getting back into this truck.
    I hate to tell you this but that is how ABS works. To test it go out on a wet street with no one around and slam on the brakes. It should vibrate the brake pedal as it applies the brakes.

Sorry....
  • We're glad to hear that you're okay after this accident, ladsonscdad26. If we could get a Service Request started for you (I see that your airbags did not deploy), please send us an email at the address located in my profile with: your name/Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your dealership, as well as any further details you may wish to include about the incident.

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • im no mechanic by any means, but through the mechanics i have talked to at maximum 35mph under normal braking conditions, the abs should not have activated, im not sure which is why i am here. im just trying to get some clarity on the issue.
    Sarah, 2-24-2012
    After expressing the same ABS issues, I replied to your request for my info (please send us an email at the address located in my profile with: your name/Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your dealership,etc.), but have not heard from you. What does that mean?
    Ken,
    KPO
  • Good morning,
    I've been checking my inbox and haven't seen an email from you. I'm sorry about that! Would you mind please resending it to me? Or if you wanted to try sending the information to socialmedia@gm.com, that would work as well. Again, I'm sorry for the delay and am not sure why the email would not go through.

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    OK,

I have engaged ABS at 55 mph and at 10 mph under panic stops on multiple GM vehicles. I also tow some very heavy trailers with trailer brakes and I use the ABS trigger point on the Colorado ABS to adjust the rear brake controller for maximum effectiveness without locking up the trailer wheels.

I do not know where your 35 mph figure comes from. I googled ABS speed and ABS engagement speed plus several other iterations and found nothing.

From experience I think that ABS engages at all speeds and I can not find anything in writing to disprove this.

Good Luck
    Sarah,
    I re-sent this to you and "social media":
    The answers to your request:
    Ken Overdorf/ KPO/ ...68226297/ don't have a dealer that I can call "your (my) dealer".
    I look forward to hearing from Christina or Sarah. Check Service Bulletin#04-08-57-004A for starters.
    I'll Try Quigley Chevy (Bally, PA) for a dealer.
    KPO
  • Thank you for your patience, Mr. Overdorf. Christina just confirmed that she received your email and will be getting back with you at some point this afternoon/evening.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • rjs777rjs777 Posts: 1
    Again my wifes crew cab 2005 Colorado is back in the garage with brake problems FOR THE SECOND time, I was told that the Rotors, Hubs and sensors will be replaced and this should eliminate the ABS issues, needless to say after 3 close calls with the system activating at normal driving speed!! Once this work is complete I will not be comfortable with my wife driving it but I have made up my mind that 1) I am seeking legal advice regarding this issue. 2) Will be in contact with the Ohio Attorney General regarding this issue and 3) Possibly making contact with a news action team to bring this out in the open, what has to happen before something is corrected properly? Someone being injured or a fatality?? I have had enough of the lame excuses, would a GM rep put a member of their family behind the wheel of a potentially unsafe vehicle??? You be the judge...