Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Colorado and GMC Canyon ABS Fault Issues

Comments

• I too am having problems with my front end on my 2006 chevy colorado 3.5 liter. I am not very savvy with vehicle mechanics but my brakes grind (feels like gears grinding teeth in my brake pedal and it is audible also) sometimes when I come to a stop and the truck almost does not stop. This happens almost every time I hit a bump while applying the brakes.It is very scary when this happens because the brakes seem to stop doing their job!! My abs light has never come on, and in the past few days, my front passenger tire has developed a whine when I'm accelerating. The front end alignment on this truck is total crap too! i have been through 2 sets of tires and have 56000 miles on this truck! I do NOT have the money to fix this, especially if all of this is a recurring problem. What is the deal!!?!? I will be moving about 650 miles next week with a 6X12 trailer and hope I dont have any problems with this because I'll prolly end up over a cliff cuz Im moving from flat Louisiana to mountainous Tennessee! If I do, this is a written testimony of what prolly happened to me.
  • 1chief1chief Posts: 1
    I have an 05 Colorado. It has the 3.5 liter engine and standard shift. I am having ABS Traction Fault issues. The error displays in the odometer area displaying the fault for no apparent reason. It comes on and goes off when it wants. The truck loses power as the traction control kicks in when the error displays. It will go off when I turn off the truck, or sometimes when driving down the road. Is this situation dangerous to drive with?. I have a long trip to take in a couple weeks, can I drive this vehicle? I bought it new and was delivered with a crack/ chip in the windshield. The first year I had it, the heater core went bad, the third year the steering knuckle had to be replaced,the fourth year I had fuel emissions error issues. When I start the truck, sometimes it will stumble/hesitate when I put it in gear and start to accelerate. Now I have ABS Traction Fault issues. I wanted to keep this truck, but now I don't know. What do I do? Gm seems to have a lot of issues with these vehicles needing addressed.
  • n9cvn9cv Posts: 30
    I have the same issue. I took mine to my friendly and expensive GM dealer. After paying an expensive diagnostic fee I was told the ABS controller is shot because they can not talk to it at all with their scan tool. They wanted an exorbitant price for a new ABS controller so I left. I have been driving it that way ever since. I'd take it to another dealer but figure I'll just be out another $100 for another non-answer. I'm thinking it is a wheel sensor and not the controller. These have a poor record of failing wheel sensors. Mine works sometimes for hours and other times it fails in the first few minutes. I'd like to fix it before winter because I like the traction control in the snow.
  • HappsterHappster Posts: 30
    You've probably long since resolved your issue, but in the event others need an answer, I note that the ABS sensors in the front hubs are very tempermental. I replaced my rotors and had to remove the hub from the halfshaft. The sensor is press fit into the hub in the hole where the halfshaft installs. I dinged the sensor putting it back together-barely scratched the metal. But I ended up with the same issues you're having. Replaced it and it has been fine. It was only about $60 at Auto Zone, but a bit of a pain to install. You have to take the hub off the halfshaft. I cheated by unbolting the ball joints from the A-arms, which saved me from having the smash them with a separator. That usually ends badly, particularly for higher mileage trucks.
  • n9cvn9cv Posts: 30
    Thanks for the information. I'm was also guessing that the failure is in the front sensors. I have not pulled or looked at them yet. I have a 2WD so the half shafts are not a problem. My scanner does not do ABS so I was hoping to get it scanned to tell me what side to look at. After my wasted trip and money with GM getting it scanned I gave up on that approach. I'll concentrate on the front sensors when I go back to work on it again..

Thanks.
  • I just got my 2004 Colorado Back from the shop for my ABS system! They had to replace both Hubs assemblies! It cost me $1,223.14 I had to replace my fan resistor two week ago! I did it myself so it was only $28.31! GM needs to do something about this!!!
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,004
    n9cv,
    I apologize for your frustrations. Can you please email me your VIN? I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • firefighter5firefighter5 Posts: 2
    edited July 2011
    My Vin # is IGCDT136048127479.... $ 1,223.14 for 2 front Hub assemblies! Now I have noticed that my right back up light has a short in it! All these things are happening at the same time!! I have never had so much trouble with a vehicle! I know it's a 2004 but It's just got 80,000 miles on it. I had to replace my catalytic converter at 37,000 miles and yes it was still under warranty but still.. Whats next? this is my only vehicle!!
  • I have had issues with my front breaks ever since I purchased my 2006 colorado new. The pad/rotors did not well correctly and I ended up with severe noise from the breaks which I had check out at the dealer and of course "there was not problem". I finally decided to replace the rotors and pad myself but because of the design of the front hubs it's not the easiest thing to do and I didn't want to damage the ABS sensor, so I finally just put on new pads to hold me over and reduce the noise issues. I did that last year and just this week my ABS Fault started showing up. Every time I touch the breaks the ABS kicks in and finally it goes to ABS Fault. As with every other story on here, as soon as I turn the truck off/on it resets and is fine for a little while. I have had to replace almost every exterior light on this truck 3 times. I have had to fix the Fan resistor as well. These trucks have some serious issues of which GM does not care to address.

Now with the ABS Fault issue it seems that I'm only one in a long line of people having this issue. As with the others, I don't want to spend $1000+ getting my truck repaired. It only has 67k miles and if I had the money to get rid of the damn thing I would, but it's almost paid for and I can't afford to go buy a new truck.

So would I be best to just get new ABS Sensors for the front wheels and change those out when I get the brakes done? I realize it would be good for GM to have this on record but at the same time it's very frustrating to spend $100 to get screwed even more...

Also what's the best way to get the front hubs off so I can replace the rotors? i've seen a 2x4 trick that several people posted but everyone said to be careful about the ABS sensors. Guess that's not an issue if I'm going to replace them anyway.
  • buyusbuyus Posts: 4
    I replaced my hubs and ABS sensors last week and discovered that the passenger side ABS sensor had gotten road debris lodged in it causing damage to it. One thing the dealers won't tell you is that you can buy the just the sensors instead of spending the big money on the bearing hubs. They are 1/4 the cost of the hub assemblies. Great instructions at 355nation.net/forum. Just search "front hub replacement". You will need some heavy duty tools and this will help with sensor replacement too although it doesn't address that specifically.
    Hope this helps,
    Don
  • Well looks like I'm not the only one. I too have a colorado and last night at 38,001 miles my fault light came on also. I hate to think about how much this is going to cost, why at 38k, why is everyone having the same problem as I and chevy has not taken care of it? Do i go out and buy A Toyota? Oh that's right I have an 88 toyota p/u and have never had a problem with that, shame on you American made cars.
  • I've got an 06 Colorado with 22,000 miles. ABS fault alarm has been going off and on for the past few day. At 22k this shouldn't happen. Just wanted to vent my frustration, maybe GM will recall.
    pgallenstein,
    I apologize for your frustrations. Can you please email me your VIN? Have your spoke with your local GM dealer? I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • kmartickmartic Posts: 12
    My advice to everyone is to save your money,live with the abs issues and don't hold out any hope for help from the online customer service. Have replaced 5 front hubs and abs sensors. The bearings last a short time even if you are careful to torque the hubs to specs. The sensors are a joke and start acting up almost immediately and at all different times and conditions. The last fan resister just went again after 3 months of very little use because the truck can't stay on the road it is always breaking. Just finished complete brake system repair,and I mean complete down to all new hardware,wheel cylinders, calipers, rotors, hoses,everything. It has been less than a 1000 miles and the pass. front is hanging, abs is again intermittent and now the tranny is starting to bang into second. This is on a truck with 69000 miles now. Wait to you get to work on the rear brakes with the engineering marvel, horseshoe shaped brake shoe spring anchor. I swear that GM's engineers must be smoking something, or there must be a special tool for this peach of an idea. Customer service is not really concerned just pretends. Has anyone had GM help them out and solved just the brake issues on these nitemare systems? Good luck everyone I am looking to go Ford, can't keep this frustrating piece of design incompetence much longer!!!!!!
  • Its terrible that so many people are having the same ABS problem with no resolution from the manufacturer. I bought the truck because it was "very reliable" and only had 15000 miles on it. Now with just over 25000 there is a problem with it which equals 4 of my monthly payments! I can't afford to fix it and there is no warranty because I'm the second owner. No brakes can mean dead drivers, even though I only drive 3-4 miles a day its still a concern.
  • I filed a safety complaint with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), hoping that GM will realize there is a defect. I don't know if will do any good but it doesn't hurt to try.
  • kmartickmartic Posts: 12
    What was the procedure for filing the complaint as I would like to also. Everyone who owns one of these gems should too. Thanks,Keith
    thatoneryguy,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle. I would encourage you to have the vehicle diagnosed by your local GM dealership. Please keep me posted when the problem has been taken care of.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • pgallensteinpgallenstein Posts: 14
    edited August 2011
    Here is the link for filing a complaint. https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
    I just got my Colorado back from dealership and it was diagnosed with a defective left front speed sensor. I was given an estimate on best & worst case scenario to fix ($320/$700). Technician also told me that they have never had a "best case scenario." He told me that this was a defect in the Colorado's. He actually used the word "defect". I chose not to fix, I just don't think this should happen on any vehicle with 22k. I hope more people will file complaints and maybe GM will do a recall.