Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Equinox No Start Problems

2008 Equinox sport, the battery has completely discharged causing a no start situation. This has happened three seperate times in the last month. No indication of why or when this condition will happen. After the first two times our GM dealer replaced the alternator and it has happened one more time since then. Is anyone else having this issue? There have been quite a few in our city with this same problem according to the boosting company. GM doesn't seem to be sure of the cause or remedy.

Comments

• That's interesting you say that - I have an 09 and within the first 5 months (4000km) the battery completed died. Battery was replaced, and it's been running fine since. No other issues with the vehicle.

How many months/weeks have you went before these episodes occurred?

One other question for you.. O/T.. have you ever experienced a "popping" noise in the front end between 15-20km/h after a cold start? Some owners have experienced this sound and seems to be common with all models, but GM can't figure out what it is.

Thanks.
  • tps2tps2 Posts: 2
    We've had the Equinox since July, 2008 and 44,000 kms on it when this battery discharge began.

Apparently GM has a bulletin on this, #02-06-03-008D, they refer to diagnosis of the battery and/or generator. My generator has been replaced and it has happened once since then. So, am seeking advice ...

We haven't experienced the "popping" sound in the front end in our 2008 Equinox.
  • rvothrvoth Posts: 147
    I have a 2008 LT equinox and experienced the same thing with only 4800 km. The battery was replaced and had at least one cell that was shorting out and reducing it's capacity. The Voltage output on the dash was 13.8 to 14.4 volts operating normally so GM replaced the battery and all has been well, they must received a bad batch (poor quality) of batteries. Easy fix . :shades:
  • As I went to drive my new 2011 Chevy Equinox for the first time (it had not been driven for 10 days since driving it home from the dealer, though I did move it once just to drive it into my garage), I first noticed the doors did not unlock using the keyless entry. I then unlocked the door using the key, then once inside I tried to start the ignition but everything was 'locked up', no lights, no nothing. Also, the key could not be released from the ignition. I'm thinking it has to do with the security system because I did see red flashing lights inside on the dash when I tried to open the locked door. After discussing this with the dealer service guy, he said the car needs to be towed back to the dealer. I also called the toll free Chevy number hoping they could tell me how to resolve this problem without the car being towed, but they could not so they connected me with Roadside Assistance who has scheduled a tow in a few days. Has anyone else had this problem?
  • ray80ray80 Posts: 1,240
    Don't have one of these but symptoms are familiar. Its not the security system, its the battery charge that is causing no start. There may be an unintended parasitic drain that is root cause.
  • Thanks Ray80! We think you are right because the Hazard lights don't work either.
    Just to add a little info. Todays vehicles tend to use power from battery even when turned off. Extended periods of not running them and battery will lose its charge. Should be able to go 10 days though, unless the one time you did start it it was very cold and it only ran a few minutes .
  • @Ray80, it turned out to be exactly what you said, 'battery drain'. The dealer recharged the battery and also repaired the battery drain problem which was a Recall Notice I received about the same time! Thanks again for your excellent advice!
  • I've had mine a little over one month and have had it into the dealer 3 times now and is going back in again for software problems they tell me. First time they reprogramed the BCM to shut off interior lights that light up the CD slot, cup holders(GM letter said it could run battery down after a prolonged non-use). Second time BCM lost communication with rear liftgate and it wouldn't open. Third time, today the engine light came on after filling with gas and could not correct it with multiple removal and replacement of gas cap. Again dealer corrected the BCM. Now he wants the car all day to correct other software problems unknown to me. Now after reading blogs I fear what is to come. Grrrrr Have always been a GM person and now maybe I should have bought that Honda or Toyota.
  • Have or had the same issue with the failure to start with the IP 'CHECKING'. Dealer diagnosis problem and made some changes. This is before the service bulletin was released. Problem still happens but not as frequently. The problem with the key removal is not related to security, but the steering wheel position, where it is just tight against the ignition lock. Just move the steering wheel left or right. No tow needed.
  • nab66nab66 Posts: 4
    we bought a 2007 nox. have always been a GM family. have had nothing but problems. wheel bearings and a/c at 6K miles. replaced a/c twice more since then. in the shop 7 times for stabilitrak, 3 times for brakes, one EGR valve. rear defrost has never worked right, dealer says its fine. read hatch struts dont work worth a crap. have banged my head MANY times. the dealer said it is an engineering flaw. the dash has worked loose twice now, it squeaks all the time. now the turn signal doesn't shut off after turning. it only has 44K miles on it. I'm now trying to decide on a honda or subaru before something else goes wrong.....
  • dan235dan235 Posts: 1
    What was the recall notice on the battery? I have 2300 miles on my 2011 equinox and tonight the battery was dead for the second time since I bought the car. I had the car jump started 2 weeks ago and it ran fine until tonight I tried to start the car for the first time today and it wouldn't. It seems like I have an intermittent drain on the battery.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,068
    godspeed,
    Is the dealer still working to fix this issue for you?
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    nab66,
    I apologize for your experience and frustration. Can you please email me with your VIN, current mileage and involved dealer? I would like to look into your situation for you.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • mas29mas29 Posts: 1
    We have had our 2011 Equinox for just about 3 months. We have interior fabric pulling out from over the rear passenger window. It intermittently doesn't start....but you never know when. The first time it was about 2 weeks old. Not what I want in a new car. Then our BCM went out on a trip from Colorado to S.Carolina when the windshield wipers turned on high by themselves and could not be regulated, we lost our dim headlights, the security light went on and the tail lights stayed on even when the care was off. Ultimately we had to leave the car in Topeka and use a loaner from the dealer there to finish our trip. (If you live in near Topeka and need your Chevy serviced, the folks at Ed Bozarth Chev. rock!) We picked the car up, drove back to Colorado without incident and the next morning the Equinox did not start again. We had it towed to the dealer, (an hour away) got another loaner and after a week they told me there was nothing wrong with it. We picked it up, drove it home and when I went to use it two hours later....it didn't start. We tried it about a dozen times and then called GM Central for yet another tow. About an hour later, we tried it, just because we really couldn't believe it and it started. We canceled the tow because without a problem there is nothing the dealer can do. I have not received any recall letter re: battery drain. I'm intrigued to know more and welcome any input. Now I head out early for anything I need to do and hope my new car will start. This is obviously not acceptible. Gee, if GM can't figure this out, perhaps a bunch of cranky, unhappy Equinox owners can figure it out for them. Funny, the only other problematic car I've ever owned was a Chevy Lumina Van. I now think I've learned my lesson.
  • rocketbobrocketbob Posts: 23
    Same problem. I have a 2 month old 2011 Terrain that wouldn't start yesterday. I called Onstar and got a jump start. I drove to the dealer and the service rep immediately scheduled a BCM re program.

The mechanic who was working on the car also told me the battery was low
    and wanted me to stay until he charged it. I was in a hurry so I said I would
    wait an hour. He came back a half hour later and said the battery was
    defective and had to be replaced. None in stock so I have to go back next week

After talking with the tow truck driver, the service rep , the mechanic and
    several salesmen, they indicate dead batteries are common due to all the electrical equipment and computer modules on new GM cars drawing current even when vehicle is turned off.

What irritates me is that this problem must have been known for some time
    for a Service Bulletin to have been issued so why was the problem not fixed at the factory or addressed at the dealership when the car was
    delivered. It also leaves the question that whether the alternator is inadequate to put out enough current to run all the accessories and recharge the battery when the car is running!
  • osrvosrv Posts: 2
    Batteries are strange animals... unpredictable.
    It seems that no one knows how to troubleshoot problems any more. It's replace, replace, replace, at your expense.
    Try this.... Remove the NEGATIVE battery cable at the battery.
    Connect a battery charger to the battery. POS first and NEG last.
    Allow the battery to charge for one hour. If the charger has a working ameter, the meter will display about a 10 Amp charge at first, slowly diminishing to zero charge as the battery is charged fully. This is normal for a GOOD battery. Defective batteries either don't take a charge or show full in a few minutes.
    Disconnect the charger and re-attach the NEG battery cable.
    If your battery discharges, say over night, this usually means there is a serious voltage draw ( bad alt, partially shorted hot all the time wire/s), anything that will suck a battery down. If there is no voltage draw down, the battery is probably bad.
    You should not post your email addy in a message, to easy for spaamers to get ahold of it. Anyway, while Lady08 suggested it was a recall, it may in reality been a service bulletin. I know of one other case where the amient lighting did not shut off when it should have and caused the battery to drain. There is a service bulletin for that Sorry I don't have a number/
  • caskabcaskab Posts: 4
    Your other post mentions a GM service bulletin# regarding the battery drain problem.
    When did you receive service bulletin? Is there any service bulletin # associated with this I can reference to my dealership? How did the dealer repair the drain problem? I just had the same dead battery problem this morning with my 2011 Equinox!
    dan235,
    If you will email me your VIN and question I will look into recall information for you.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    mas29,
    Can you please email me your contact information (including a good number to reach you), VIN, current mileage, involved dealer, and a break down of what you are/ have experienced. I apologize for your frustrations.
    Have a great weekend.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • runoxrunox Posts: 153
    Yea, the batt charge is simple enough, but these new Noxes have fickle electrical systems driven by software programs. You cannot believe how many computer are on board. While the batt charge gets on the move temporarily, you have to have those computer reprogrammed.
    rocketbob,
    What is the status of your vehicle? Have your issues been resolved?
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • rocketbobrocketbob Posts: 23
    Well, its been over 2 weeks and my new battery hasn't arrived. Just
    been getting automated phonecalls telling me it is on backorder. I am
    sure the dealer could go down to Canadian Tire and pick one up but
    GM probably wouldn't reimburse the dealer.

So far the old battery hasn't gone dead again and everything but the
    power seat memory seems to be working.
    rocketbob,
    Can you please email me directly; just include your Edmunds name. Thanks! Have a great weekend!
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • We have a five month old equinox and have to have it charged twice in three past weeks from road side assistance. We are scheduled to take it to the dealers in two days.
    Is it a bad battery, a need to reprogram the computer, a short.
    I am nervous that the problem won't get resolved. Some told me I should have bought a honda CRV
    I hope the dealership doesn't give me a run around.
    A new car not starting sucks!
  • We have the same problem and it sucks.
  • I have the battery drain on our 2011 equinox, going to the dealer tomorrow.
  • We have the same problem on our 2011, going to the dealer tomorrow.
  • caskabcaskab Posts: 4
    I had the same problem w/ my 2011 Equinox. It is the BCM (body control Computer Module) that needs to be reprogrammed. There is a GM TSB Tech Service Bulletin that has GM reprogram the module and recharge the battery. You will be fin after that!!