Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Equinox No Start Problems

Comments

• gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,057
    mas29,
    Can you please email me your contact information (including a good number to reach you), VIN, current mileage, involved dealer, and a break down of what you are/ have experienced. I apologize for your frustrations.
    Have a great weekend.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • runoxrunox Posts: 153
    Yea, the batt charge is simple enough, but these new Noxes have fickle electrical systems driven by software programs. You cannot believe how many computer are on board. While the batt charge gets on the move temporarily, you have to have those computer reprogrammed.
    rocketbob,
    What is the status of your vehicle? Have your issues been resolved?
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • rocketbobrocketbob Posts: 23
    Well, its been over 2 weeks and my new battery hasn't arrived. Just
    been getting automated phonecalls telling me it is on backorder. I am
    sure the dealer could go down to Canadian Tire and pick one up but
    GM probably wouldn't reimburse the dealer.

So far the old battery hasn't gone dead again and everything but the
    power seat memory seems to be working.
    rocketbob,
    Can you please email me directly; just include your Edmunds name. Thanks! Have a great weekend!
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • We have a five month old equinox and have to have it charged twice in three past weeks from road side assistance. We are scheduled to take it to the dealers in two days.
    Is it a bad battery, a need to reprogram the computer, a short.
    I am nervous that the problem won't get resolved. Some told me I should have bought a honda CRV
    I hope the dealership doesn't give me a run around.
    A new car not starting sucks!
  • We have the same problem and it sucks.
  • I have the battery drain on our 2011 equinox, going to the dealer tomorrow.
  • We have the same problem on our 2011, going to the dealer tomorrow.
  • caskabcaskab Posts: 4
    I had the same problem w/ my 2011 Equinox. It is the BCM (body control Computer Module) that needs to be reprogrammed. There is a GM TSB Tech Service Bulletin that has GM reprogram the module and recharge the battery. You will be fin after that!!
  • Thanks for you post. I told the service person what you said, at the dealership, but they insisted that the TSB didn't exist and replaced the battery insisting it was a bad battery.
  • For our 2011 they the dealer insisted it was a bad battery and replaced that. Time will tell now
    There is a GM update for this issue based on your VIN #. If battery dies again, then bring back to dealership (or go to another) & have them do a parasitic drain test to see if battery drain is occuring . If so, then a BCM reprogram is needed (along w/ recharging battery). Pre & post drain test showed a significant difference in milliamp draw before after the BCM reprogram on my 2011 Equinox.
  • Unfortunately the no start happened again this a.m. when my wife went out to go to a medical appointment. No lights were left on and she didn't drive it over the weekend, used our chevy impala, which has never had a no start issue.
    It happened in November when we were out of state, the dealer loooked at it and couldn't find any thing wrong.
    GM is monitoring, still this is definately when I wished we had bought a different vehcile.........
    They had put a new battery in it after the second no start, saying it was the battery . Maybe time to trade in and go with a honda or toyota.....
    Bummer city as now if have to have gm roadside tow it into the dealer and without car for how long............ bummer......
    THE PROBLEM IS WITH YOUR BCM - BODY CONTROL MODULE COMPUTER. IT WILL NEED TO BE REPROGRAMMED BY YOUR DEALERSHIP. THE BCM IS NOT GOING FULLY INTO A "SLEEP" MODE WHEN YOU TURN OF/LOCK THE VEHICLE. IT IS MAKING CALLS FOR THINGS LIKE ROLL UP THE BACK WINDOW, UNLOCK THE DOORS, ETC WHICH IS CAUSING A DRAIN ON THE BATTERY. YOUR DEALERSHIP SHOULD BE AWARE OF THIS ISSUE. IT WILL TAKE APPROXIMATELY 3 HOURS TO REPROGRAM & RECHARGE YOUR BATTERY.
    THE SAME THING HAPPENED TO MY 2011 EQUINOX 2 TIMES AND AFTER A BIT OF WEB RESEARCH, I FIGURED THIS TO BE THE ISSUE. MY DEALERSHIP CONCURRED, DID THE REPROGRAM/CHARGE & LIFE HAS BEEN GOOD EVER SINCE!!
  • I told the dealer this information, and they insisted the problem was another, read that second, bad battery! So they replaced the battery.
    We are letting the car sit for a week or so and if you are correct that there is a battery drain, then it won't start, then we will go to a different chevy dealer for service. This dealership, won't consider this information.
  • ray80ray80 Posts: 1,233
    There is a TSB applicable to some 11's that deals with cabin lighting not turning off and causing drain. There is always some drain when not in use, long times without starting vehicle can cause troubles also.
  • Thank you for your post.
    I took the car to another dealer's service department and they seem more open to possibilities other than another "bad battery" as cause of no starts.
    The G.M. customer service department have been very nice, monitoring the situation and communicating with me and the dealer service departments.

PS How long of car not in use, sitting, is considered a drain where the car wont' start? Out of the 4 no starts we have had with the vehicle, two were where the car sat for a couple of days.
  • ray80ray80 Posts: 1,233
    I believe somewhere along the line I saw something that was meant for dealers and suggested they should start the vehicles on the lot at least once every 2 weeks. Of course as batteries age that time might get shorter, but a couple days and no start indicates a problem somewhere.
  • The second dealerships service department has determined that the the BCM (body control Computer Module) needs to be replaced. This makes total sense to me and I am hopeful that this will stop the drain which was causing the car's batteries to "go Bad".