Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2011-12 Optima

Comments

• backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,682
    The Optima is a totally different design than the Sorento. How can you project the 57 safety-related complaints from the Sorento to the Optima?

The Camry, and Toyotas in general, have how many NTSB complaints over the past few years? How many recalls? And you say that Kias are junk? Funny.
  • Toyota doesn't have a history of making junk. I think in the future we'll see what happened with them to be a blip on their screen. Can't say the same for hyundai/kia. I see tons of old toyotas on the road that are decades old. I can't say the same for this brand. I was hoping that would have changed by now. Doesn't appear to be the case.

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.f22002f/67
  • All I can do is shake my head. You quite obviously have a bias (against the brand, against "stealerships", against options packages, comparing the Optima to the Sportage when the two have very little in common other than the nameplate...whatever) and nothing anyone says or does is going to change your mind. Fine. If we respect your opinion, will you respect ours? (Doubtful) You just sat there and talked about how you see all these old Toyotas and not a make such as Kia. They've barely even been in this country for 10 years, hardly a fair comparison. Although if I may add a true account, one of my best friends has a 1st gen Rio hatchback which, despite her lack of maintenance, continues to run to this day. But of course, this doesn't interest you because you've got your heart set on bashing the brand.
  • So you don't like packages. That's a fine statement. However, I can't follow your logic on thinking the current Kia Optima is bad. Frankly, I'm not emotional or loyal to any car brand. I don't like Toyota any more or less today than I did years ago. I've always found them a bit overpriced and always found an alternative thus far. I still may buy one in the future if they produce something that fits my wants at a good price.

All said and done, you can buy a base Kia and install a solid aftermarket sunroof in it if that's all you want. Chances are you will still come out way ahead in money spent then if you tried to get a comparable camry, accord, passat, whatever else.

If you really believe car companies' quality doesn't change (improve and take a hit) from model to model and year to year, you are truly naive.
  • dash5dash5 Posts: 417
    Almost as if this latest review was a direct rebuttal to you:

http://auto.ocregister.com/2011/01/21/review-2011-kia-optima-seems-like-cinderel- la/50358/

It’s one thing knowing that the Optima has features aplenty and a robust powertrain to boot, but the question remains, Will buyers of a midsize family sedan want to be associated with a Kia? I think the smart ones will.

Buyers may have found themselves in a similar situation decades ago with then young-to-America automakers named Honda, Toyota and Nissan, and things have worked out pretty well for them. Now, perhaps not too ironically, it is with the likes of the Honda Accord, Toyota Camry and Nissan Altima that the Optima is competing with.

Kia now appears to be in a similar situation as its Japanese rivals were in the 1980s as Kia Motors America grows its sales and its cars earn consideration as the automaker turns out well-designed, well-made products that offer great value.
  • gregg_vwgregg_vw Posts: 2,415
    You sure are a pleasant guy. What turned you so sour on life? BTW, you have no idea whatsoever of how reliable a heated steering wheel might or might not be. Doesn't stop you from ranting about it though. Keep it up. Keeps the thread entertaining.
  • mtnman1mtnman1 Westerville, OhioPosts: 382
    edited January 2011
    I got one for you since you are so convinced that Toyota is so much better. To do a fair comparison I looked up the 2010 Rav4 since the 2010 Sorento was never made and Kia was selling it at least the beginning of 2010. NTSB complaints for the Rav4 were 104!!! Seems the Sorento is a better vehicle if you base your decision on a whole vehicle line on this. By the way the latest CR ranks the Sorento number 1 in the Mid Sized Suv category. Hmm better than the rest. Must mean Kia is making the best vehicles overall. :P
  • snowallergysnowallergy Posts: 130
    edited January 2011
    Toyota has gone downhill of late. No argument there. That doesn't mean I'm going to jump off a cliff and spend 24k for a Kia. :lemon:

I will say (and have said) the optima is one fine looking car. I just don't feel anything's changed when I drive one or hyundai for that matter. We'll see I guess. Using that warranty is a hassle from what I've read. No one ever asked me for any documentation when I went for toyota warranty work. Of course I didn't have to go in but once or twice.

I'm a former ASE certified tech and have a degree in the automotive field. I can feel a cheaply made drive train when I drive one. And that is how I'd describe kia/hyundai. Also toyota's new camry's transmission doesn't feel right either. I just don't get the need for 6 speed transmissions on ANY car. Adds complexity and they all seem to be constantly hunting gears. I wouldn't buy a toyota now either. The falling value of the dollar will limit all of our choices as time goes on.
  • trainer1366trainer1366 Posts: 24
    edited January 2011
    I can feel a cheaply made drive train when I drive one. And that is how I'd describe kia/hyundai.

WHEN have you test driven a Kia? You stated previously that you haven't. You READ about the Kia warranty being a hassle? LMBO All talk and no action...

As a former and present Optima owner, I used the warranty on my 2004 Kia Optima without a single problem. Documentation was NOT required nor requested from the dealership, either. The dealership repaired it without a hitch.

Snowallergy, you tend to flip/flop when your points are disputed by fact. I read your comments on the Sonata forum where you stated that you want Hyundai/Kia to be successful, but I doubt it. Now, you are uncertain about your adored Toyota. It seems that you really don't like foreign cars; if so, go buy a Ford and be happy. :)

The automotive industry changes to meet the needs/want of its' consumers, not auto mechanics as you should know, so if Kia or Hyundai doesn't float your boat, WHAT CAR DOES?

I think Toyota and Honda are fine autos; I'm a former Camry and present Accord owner too. But I happen to believe, based on actually owning 2 Kias, that Kia is now the standard for automotive reliability, design and affordability. Every dog has his day and Toyota/Honda are old dogs now.
  • j2jj2j Posts: 147
    "I guess Kia saves money by limiting their options. I think one of the salespeople said Kia is to Hyundai in a similar way as Scion is to Toyota. Makes sense. Great car."

- Evidently, by that comment, the saleperson has no idea what he/she was talking about.
    "There are 57 NTSB complaints about the 2011 kia sorento. Since this car is just now hitting the streets, I think we'll see the same here. No longer interested. "

- In its 1st model year, the outgoing Honda Odyssey had 5 RECALLS; I guess that made the Odyssey (widely considered the best minivan) "junk."

"I dodged a bullet then and it appears this time as well. Kia and hyundai are STILL junk after another decade."

- Funny, Hyundai has been rated (for years) by both Consumer Reports and JD Power to have better reliability than Nissan, Mazda or Subaru; I guess that makes those Japanese brands "junk" (not even including Mitsu or Suzuki), and AutoBild of Germany, which does the most comprehensive analysis of reliability in the industry, rates Hyundai no. 1.
    "Toyota doesn't have a history of making junk. I think in the future we'll see what happened with them to be a blip on their screen. Can't say the same for hyundai/kia. I see tons of old toyotas on the road that are decades old."

- Sure they do. Back during the 1960s/70s, Toyotas, Datsuns and Hondas were widely looked down upon as cheap, Japanese rust-prone tin cans.

And uh, the reason why one doesn't see nearly as many older Hyundais (or Kias for that matter) - going back 2 generations, is b/c they sold only a fraction of what Toyota sold, so there weren't that many on the road to begin with.

I can't recall the last the time I saw an older Lexus GS (much less a new one) or SC; which mostly has to do w/ the small amount that were sold (relatively).
    "Using that warranty is a hassle from what I've read. No one ever asked me for any documentation when I went for toyota warranty work. Of course I didn't have to go in but once or twice."

- And yet, according to a JD Power CSI study (which covers service/repair work during the 1st 3 years of ownership), Hyundai is rated above average and tied w/ Ford.

Hyundai's CSI rating is above that for Honda, Scion, Mitsu, Toyota, Subaru, Nissan, Mazda and Suzuki.

Kia's CSI rating is just below Honda's and above all the other Japanese nameplates.

http://businesscenter.jdpower.com/news/pressrelease.aspx?ID=2010021

"I'm a former ASE certified tech and have a degree in the automotive field. I can feel a cheaply made drive train when I drive one. And that is how I'd describe kia/hyundai. Also toyota's new camry's transmission doesn't feel right either. I just don't get the need for 6 speed transmissions on ANY car."

- For someone who purportedly was an ASE certified tech, you don't seem to know much about transmissions.

1st off, the Hyundai/Kia 6 spd AT has been roundly praised by the automotive press for its smoothness.

Also, transmissions w/ 6 or more spds allow for increased fuel efficiency and when tuned properly can be quite quick in its shifts.

Sorry, but your posts have a certain stink about them.
  • Obviously, snow is a sourpuss on the Korean makes. I would wager he/she is a sourpuss on a great many things :lemon: :blush: .

Maybe snow just likes being a contrarian. If 1000 people say they like something, maybe its fun being the 1 person telling everyone else they are wrong. Whatever floats one's boat I suppose.

I've never owned a Kia, Hyundai, or Toyota. I'd also never say I wouldn't ever buy one. That's just ignorance.

The Optima is well received at the very start and I hope it remains so this year. Maybe it will be my first Kia.
  • mickeyrommickeyrom Posts: 936
    The 2011 Optima is not the first good KIA.Ever since they introduced the second generation in 2006(2006.5 model) Optimas have been very good cars.Had mine since Nov of 2006 and we love it.
  • Snowallergy, you tend to flip/flop when your points are disputed by fact. ------------------------

So if I post that I haven't test driven an Optima that means I'm locked into that for life??? Wow. That's special. I test drove one a week or two after that post. I guess I should have gotten your permission or informed you that I had?

Just so you know, I love my camry. But it was built in Japan by Japaneese people. I doubt I'll ever buy another car made by american hands. Sad to say since I served this country proudly. I am no longer as proud. So, Ford? No thanks. Too scared of unions and crack heads.
  • A salesperson that doesn't know what they're talking about? Say it isn't so.. I no longer care. Kia and hyundai will show themselves for what they are. I'll just sit back and wait. I'll be sure to jump in at that time of course. It's all sizzle and no steak from what I can see.
  • Also, transmissions w/ 6 or more spds allow for increased fuel efficiency and when tuned properly can be quite quick in its shifts.

==================

Uh... My 01 camry has a 4 speed transmission and the car is 10 years old. It weighs the same as this car and gets the same gas mileage 10 years after it was built. Try again?
  • bamacarbamacar Posts: 749
    Not according to the EPA your 2001 Camry 4 sp auto gets 29/20 in today's EPA mileage numbers. The Kia 6 speed gets 34/24.

That is pretty good considering the Kia has 64 more horsepower, is 2 inches longer, 2 inches wider, and weighs 180 pounds more. It has 5.5 cubic feet more interior room and 1.3 cubic feet more cargo space.

You tried again and failed. Next.
  • mowacamowaca Posts: 8
    I haven't driven a Sonata yet; I've tried out an Optima EX and a TSX. They have similar engines but I can't believe how much stuff you get on the Optima for the price with better performance and fuel economy and a bigger car. I think the seats on the TSX are nicer, but that's about it. Should I try the Sonata? Any other differences I should know about?