Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cadillac DeVille

Comments

• lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    Actually, I'm surprised at how inexpensive repairs are on my aging '94 Deville - even at the Cadillac dealer.
  • sonjaabsonjaab Member Posts: 1,057
    HELLO ALL
    The boss just returned from FLA. She had the
    oil changed in Daytona at Caddy dealer
    78.00 OUCH !!!! 8 quarts of Valvoline
    synthetic 5w30 they used. (Yes i know it
    holds 8.1 qts.) On the way home 1500 miles
    it used 3 quarts..When i have it done here
    any old 10w30 will do and it only uses 1
    quart every 1000 miles or so. Hiway miles too.
    But a 1996 pushing 60K trouble free miles.
    Can't ask for much more.
    Anyone else use synthetic oils and have
    higher than usual oil consumption ????
  • etharmonetharmon Member Posts: 399
    78.00 for an oil change??? I hope this included some other things. Northstar V8s do use more oil than an average engine(7.5 quarts) but that shouldn't cause the oil change to be that much. It's typically about $30 for an oil and filter change on my father's 95 Aurora at the dealer and it uses the same 7.5 quarts that a Cadillac does.
    Neverminb the last posts, re-reading your earlier post you said it was synthetic which will cost more, although 78.00 still seems high.
    Sure wish my new scanner didn't go to college
    with the kid this year...Or i would scan it
    in here..Still can't believe it.
    But this is the same Caddy dealer in Daytona
    that guessed part swapping on my old 90 Deville
    to the tune of $1400 to find out why it died
    on the road in 1995...They towed it in 3 times
    They replaced plugs, wires,crank sensor ,fuel
    pump, filter, and a bunch of other stuff too.
    It turned out to be a rotted gas line....

Why she went back I'll never know........Geo
  • 456ttt456ttt Member Posts: 13
    I have 26,000 miles on my 2000 DTS. I use Castrol Full Synthetic oil. I change the oil every 10,000 miles and add 1 quart at the 5,000 mile interval, but that's about it. Still have a shakey engine, but GM tells me they expect a fix in about another 30 days.
  • sweetjeldoradosweetjeldorado Member Posts: 94
    In Car Connections news for April 26, 2001, the Deville was rated #2 for most satisfactory vehicle, behind the Lexus LS 430, out of all the vehicles and topped out Lexus except the LS.

I believe they were talking about quality control and reliability issues for the first four or five months of ownership for 2001.

J "CaddyLac"
    Oil change for my 1994 Deville done at 3,000 mile intervals using Pennzoil 10W30 only costs me around $15.00 for five quarts and an AC Delco Gold filter. I do it myself.
    You don't have a Northstar do you ?
    New quick change oil place just opened
    up the street from me. 19.99 for LOF.
    My truck needs a oil change will check
    them out today.....Then take the Caddie
    down too...Want to see if the guy knows
    to put in 8 quarts or not..Probably should
    tell him in advance. God knows the boss
    never checks the oil !!...LOL..........Geo
  • hbr2hbr2 Member Posts: 1
    Have 2000 Deville. At 75 to 80 mph does not handle wind well - either cross winds or head winds. Anybody else have this problem? If so, any remedy?

hbr2
    I have the 4.9 litre V-8. Not a bad engine. Can do 100 MPH effortlessly. No problems after 83,500+ miles.
  • dwight53dwight53 Member Posts: 19
    Was the NAV system available in 2000 or only in 2001, wondering if I could pick up a low mile used Cad with NAV. Any Suggestions? I have a 99 Lexus 400 and don't like the ride as much as large American cars.
    Got the bill right here 8 Ots. Valvoline syn.
    $50.80..Delco filter ONLY 8.50...Lube and labor
    $5.50.?????? $4.00 shop fee $6.80 tax
    Total $75.60 OUCH OUCH OUCH.......
    PLUS 1.50 for washer solvent ..YUP 78.00
    While out this evening I stopped by the Cadillac dealer to take a look at some of their used cars. Found a beautiful 1997 Deville Concours. The dealership was closed but someone left the car unlocked so I hopped inside. The color combination was great. It was pearl red with the beechwood interior and it had chrome wheels. It also had sunroof, cd changer, and the factory integrated cellular phone. The mileage posted was 56,xxx but as with many used cars no price was posted. Needless to say, I am tempted. The lease on my 98 Intrigue is almost up and after sitting in that Caddy, I think I'm willing to take the risk with a used luxury car over a new Intrigue or similar car. Any ideas on what a 97 Councours(or ETC) with average mileage will run. I'll check the paper tomorrow and see if that one is listed and I may give the dealer a call Monday.
    try www.idaa.com It shows auction prices
    in Idaho. Don't know where you are but
    it might give a rough idea on the real world
    auction prices. You know them dealers won't
    cut ya no break !!!.............Geo
    To Isel, Brentwood, Cliff and the other
    salesmen who post here. Its just some of
    those OTHER GUYS you have to watch out for.
    Your in a great spot. Lease almost up. Turn in
    that car, get back your security and damage
    deposit (if any). Get out the paper and look
    for a nice Eldo that gramps and gramma wanna
    sell outrite. Most have spent the winter in
    FLA. and don't have a scratch on them..Just
    line up a extended warranty and see the bank
    loan people.....Good for you. You will love
    that Caddy....300 horse rocket ship...
  • jimmys1jimmys1 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 97' DeVille. I bought it new four years ago and I have had it back to the dealer over ten times because the windshield wipers start "chattering" across the windshield. It does not do this in high speed, only on regular speed. It is extremely annoying.

The dealer replaced the wipers numerous times. They cleaned the windshield in the body shop numerous times and they finally installed an entirely new windshield. The problems lessened but it is still there. If I clean the windshield and the wipers every other day it lessens the problem. I have never seen this on any other auto. Any ideas?
  • ericmaronericmaron Member Posts: 2
    I soon hope to be receiving my mother's '96 Deville with only 40,000 miles on it; the car runs great, looks great, etc One question I have, considering the leap in gas prices expected this summer, is what gas mileage others with a '96 have been receiving?
  • pathy57pathy57 Member Posts: 25
    In response to ericmaron I have had an 89, 92 and now a 95 Caddy and mileage has been very good for this size car. I get 28 on hwy with air, cruise and averaging 70 or 75. Puddle jumping in town for a whole tank I get about 22, 23 never less that 20. I only use premium and that sometimes is high but for the comfort and safety I will pay the difference. Good Luck with your new venture, I predict it will not be your last Caddy.
  • harleybillharleybill Member Posts: 23
    He etharmon

I was in the caddy dealership today and saw the red concurs up on the spinner. It looks great.
    I had a red 77 old delta 88 coup 350 v8 a few years ago. I could not drive that car on the interstate without getting a ticket. Tennessee State Troopers would cross the median to get me in my red 2 door coup.

I went to appalachacola bay on vacation this past week. 250 miles into the trip; south of atlanta, oil began blowing out of the right seam where the hood meets the fender. I pulled off the road and raised the hood. I had the oil changed and the etch did not put the oil cap back on the motor. Oil was all over the place. Up in the insulation pad, battery, serpentine belt and even puddle in front of the radiator. I really got upset.

I called the dealer and told him to go get this guy so I could personally thank him for this. I turned the car in today for clean up and a new oil change and the etch laid out of work today. I guess he did not want to meet me in PERSON!!!

codgers is going to make him clean the engine. I dropped off the car and the dealer is going to make him personally clean the engine compartment. I suggested he use a toothbrush and a [non-permissible content removed] load of Q tips. (My old Army training coming to mind.)

Check out the STS's in the back. They have some really good looking Sevilles and a White Diamond Concours also.

Harleybill
    That bright red does worry me with the cops. Knock on wood, I've been lucky with my red Intrigue but it is not as bright as the Pearl Red. I did see that row of 98 and 99 Sevilles up there by the used car showroom and they also had a few Eldorados that looked nice. Now a Pearl Red Eldo Touring Coupe would really get me intertested. That stinks that the goon forgot to put your oil cap back on. This happened to a friend of mine who got his oil changed at one of these Jiffy lube type places once.
  • bearmerbearmer Member Posts: 37
    Somebody on the Vettenet mailing list used to call it Arrest-me Red. I think the best name I've seen is Slut-lipstick Red.
  • bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    And can tell me how many grease zerks there are on my 95 Deville Concours?

Last time I think I found only 4, on the steering linkage.

Is this all there are?
  • svconcourssvconcours Member Posts: 2
    Bolivar, there are only 4 grease fittings I grease on my 97 Concours, 2 for the tie rod ends and 2 for the ball joints. I just checked in my service manual just to make sure there aren't any more, and those are the only ones shown. Hope this helps!
    I had enough with the small problems with the 2000 DTS so I swapped it for a 2001 DHS. I used the $2,000 Cadillac coupon and Cadillac put in another $2,000 beacuse of all the problems I had with it. The DHS seems to be a much smoother riding car, gets much better gas mileage (about 2 to 3 MPG better) and has more ammenities (I do miss the 17" wheels).
    Caddy obviously got the message about the bad design on the visors for the 2000 and early 2001 DeVille's. My new 2001 (built in late March)has the new visors (they "hand down" about 3/4" lower and therefore can be turned up higher on the window and don't limit visibility. I don't have any idea if you can get Caddy to replace the old typw with the new ones as a "cust sat" change.
    Hello all
    Haven't posted in weeks..Took the Deville and
    my truck to that 19.95 oil change place.Had
    the oil changed in both . The guy didn't know
    the northstar took 8 qts. Had to show him the
    owners manual. He didn't look too good. I think
    he might of screwed up on a couple of other
    caddies and put in only 5 qts!!!!
    Only charged me 19.99 plus tax. I showed him
    my $78.00 oil change bill from the caddy dealer
    in Daytona FL. He laughed...............Geo
    I thought my 96 Deville only had 60k plus
    miles on it . As i haven't seen it in months
    as the boss had it in Fla. Its got 75K now
    I need my glasses checked !!!!!!!!!!
    Why does the Northstar use 8 qts instead of 5?
  • gserep1gserep1 Member Posts: 92
    Hello,
    The Northstar Engine has such a big oil pan because the Northstar design requires LOTS of oil in the engine cavities at all times. There are a lot of complex internals on these engines. I would hate to count the number of intricate pieces. All of these parts need lots of oil volume under terrific pressure. I realized that when my service writer told me that there are 4 camshafts, with 32 lobes for 32 valves and followers. Absolutely the worst thing that you could do to this engine is to run it out of oil. That would be a costly mistake. Plus this thing can turn 7000 rpm before it reaches its' limiter. At that speed, a lot of oil is up top lubricating and cooling, and testing showed that nothing would be in the pan if there was only 5 quarts in the system...(oil starvation).

I use the maintenance monitor in the car, instead of the regular old 3000 mile rule. The car knows best when the oil needs to be changed. 8 quarts is a lot of oil and money. Get the most usage and save time and money. Change only at 3000 miles if all of the driving is in the city. My maintenance monitor reflects city driving by the speed in which the oil percentage numbers go down towards 0. The numbers stay higher for a longer period of time when driven on the highway.

Thanks again,
    GSEREP1
    Because mine like many others uses 1 qt.
    every 1000 miles. You need them 8 qts.
    Had synthetic 5w30 put in in Fla. and it
    used 3 qts. in 1500 miles....yikes !!!!!!!
  • sweetjeldoradosweetjeldorado Member Posts: 94
    I sense that you and your boss are pretty close. I could not imagine having my boss drive my car and put that many miles on it. Your boss must be cool like hell. Wish mine was. :-)

gserep1,

On average of mile intervals between oil changes, how often do you have to change the oil between miles if mostly interstate driven depending on complex internals of the engines of smaller compact cars to large luxury cars? Is the same case for SUVs and diesel engines also reply or you would have to treat them differently? I kind of learn something, from you where you stated, that in city driving mostly, oil changes should be done every 3,000 miles on the dot.

J "CaddyLac"
    That Caddy is her car. She goes to Fla every
    year with her friends. As we are older, kids
    gone........ And i need a rest too.
    I just got a new Chevy 2500 4x4 x-cab last week
    so i haven't posted much and we have been bustin
    tail to open our motel in Alexandria Bay NY
    for the summer. She runs that in summer. I run
    our bar & rest in syr. ny all year....
    But she did go out and buy me a new bedliner
    and tonneau cover.................
    You know what they say about the old blue
    hairs in the CADDY !!!!! Geo
  • robh3robh3 Member Posts: 157
    Sounds like you are happy with your '01 DHS vs the '00 DTS. Did you think to see if they'd swap you a set of 17" rims for your DHS? I can't say I have ever seen them on anything other than a DTS, however lots of progressive Caddy dealerships will accommodate wheel preferences for their clients. You might check if that is the one thing about the DHS that might nag at you during your ownership...

In fact, I'd have to say the the DHS is a rare breed. I have seen very few. Seems I see either the base Deville or the DTS.
  • bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    The real reason it takes 8 quarts is when it was first introduced Cadillac had a huge advertizing campaign about how it could be run for up to 50 miles without water.

Remember that?

Only way for a motor to do that was to have a huge oil supply to help absorb the heat when run without water. My 95 has a section in the owners manual about doing this. Don't know if they still have this in the newer ones. Manual says in BIG BOLD LETTERS that you must change the oil as soon as possible if you drive without water.

So, in my humble opinion, the 8 quart design is mainly advertizing crap.

P.S. Just greased and changed oil. Whoever responded about grease zerks - you were correct - 2 at end of steering linkage, 2 on lower ball joints, total of 4. Wonder what Caddy gets for greasing them, $19.99 at least?

Threw in 7 quarts. Just barely on the dipstick. Added the 8th quart. Shows exactly half quart low. Should I go for 8 1/2????????
    You wanna have a laugh about a oil change ?
    Read my posts #457 and #465
    .....Geo
    Does the Northstar take Mobil 1? Is synthetic oil reccommended for the Northstar? Why 5W30? . Seems like a lightweight oil. I use 10W30 in my 1994 Deville with 4.9 V-8.
    Check out this link! Should this be a cause for alarm among Cadillac afficianados?

http://www.msnbc.com/news/575713.asp?cp1=1

When the boss had Valvoline 5-30 Synthetic
    put in in Fla. My 96 norstar used 3 Qts. in 1500
    miles !! My 90 4.9 went to 120K and never used
    a drop of dino oil. Had the 96 changed a couple
    of weeks ago with reg 10w30 dino haven't checked
    it on consumption yet. I hope its back to its
    usual 1 qt in 1000 miles . If not it may be new
    car time. Maybe thats why the ol' ball and chain
    has beeen so nice to me lately..Didn't beef at
    all about my new truck.....But like i said i keep
    my cars to 100k plus but the truck has to go
    every 3-4 years as i work the tar out of it....Geo
  • svconcourssvconcours Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I had responded to you on the zerk fittings. On the oil, the stick should be at or near the top with 8 qts, and at the midpoint at 7.5 qts. I checked with the dealer when I bought my car 4 years ago and a service writer said 7.5 qts is at mid-stick (I only put in 7.5 qts because for some reason my particular car uses more oil if I fill to 8, and for my 97, 7.5 is the listed capacity with filter so I'm comfortable with that). If after 8 qts the stick isn't near the top, assuming there are no leaks, you might want to check to be sure the car is on an absolutely level surface (e.g. some garages are not level although they look like it). A very slight grade will cause the stick to read low if the car is pointed uphill, because the stick is at the front of the sump. Another possibility is the brand of filter you use, the factory AC PF58 is slightly shorter than at least one brand I know of so if your filter is bigger it could make the reading slightly lower (but I doubt it). Sorry for the long answer, hope it helps.
    I don't think the Northstar is the only modern day engine out there that requires more than 5 qts., is it?

I new someone who had an early '80's vintage Mercedes, and his required 8 qts of oil. He found out the hard way when he took it to Jiffy Lube and they only put in 5 qts. His engine siezed up!
    Hello all
    96 Deville 75500k northstar used about 1/2 qt.
    dino oil in 500 miles...
    Yup back to 1 qt. 1000 miles......
    runs good looks better......
    WOULD I EVER BUY ANYTHING ELSE ??.......NAH!!!!!
    ...GEO
    ps EXCEPT FOR MY TRUCK !!!!
    Hey by the way ..Anybody using reg. gas and
    having pinging and stalling problems????
    My girl is too cheap to put premium $225 in our 96
    I changed the plugs to one range colder (AC s)
    Pinging gone with regular gas..But not as much
    power... Geo
  • mdm4mdm4 Member Posts: 33
    This message is in reply to message # 479 placed by user 456ttt. I received two nasty replies from Cadillac, one from Peter Koenig and the other from Stephen Johnson. They both are with the the GM Internet Response Center. Basically they said just because the design was changed in 2001 in no way means that the 2000 visors are defective. I plan on pursuing this issue, but I suspect that it will be a waste of my time.

What gets me is the fact that I recently received a coupon worth $2,000 towards the purchase of a 2001 Deville. Does Cadillac really think unsatisfied customers will come back? I would think that a simple visor upgrade to make a current customer happy would make sense to Cadillac, I guess not. They do not understand the simple concept of repeat business.
    ...I'll take it! I'm in the market for a new Deville!
    Exactly what did they say that was "nasty"? In what way are the "new" 2001 visors different? Do you honestly think that Mercedes or BMW or Lexus would change out the sun visors if the new ones had a completely different design and anchoring system? I might be wrong, but I don't think so.

I asked for new seat belts on the front seats of my '99 STS and the dealer changed them for '01 seat belts no problem, but the "new" seat belts use the exact same fittings to attach to the car. Have you asked your dealer if this can be done with the sun visors?
  • sunbird3200sunbird3200 Member Posts: 12
    My parents have a 97 cadillac deville with 36k miles on it. This morning it wouldn't start. Lights are on and everything but when you turn the key it just clicks. Headlights are on too. Is this the starter or what.
  • RobberbarronRobberbarron Member Posts: 39
    It still could be a low battery. When the battery on my Continental started going, If I let the car sit for a day it wouldn't start. There was still enough juice to run all the lights and electronics, but not enough to turn the engine.

-Robberbarron
    If that '96 Deville has its original battery, it's probably due for a replacement. The average lifespan of a battery is 5 to 6 years.