Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cadillac DeVille

Comments

• bremertongbremertong Posts: 436
    THERE YOU GO GETTING PERSONAL AGAIN! Rahter than discussing the product and performance.
  • sls002sls002 Posts: 2,788
    that the steering wheel buttons are located such that they are easy to push unintentionally. This does not mean that the system does not work well. However, it may not be easy for some to use properly. Post # 2114 is probably right.
  • dispencer1dispencer1 Posts: 489
    You are right - it is easy to push the wrong buttons -I kind of liked the cruise control on the stalk. It didn't interfere with the stereo buttons.
  • dispencer1dispencer1 Posts: 489
    I've asked this question before. Does anyone know of any major changes to the DTS in the near future (2008-9 for instance)?
    The 2006 still kept the old 2000 body. Nothing wrong with it but I wondered if Cadillac had any plans to do a completely new DTS.
    This is what I know: the new DTS is sharing with the new Lucerne. Both have the same basic body. The wheelbase on the new DTS is slightly longer than last years DeVille, so the body has been updated or re-engineered. However, the body is basically the 1995 Aurora body design.

They are working on a zeta platform, which will be the platform for the Camaro and GTO. There will also be some RWD sedans based on that platform. Rumor has it that there will be a Chevy, probably replacing the current Impala. Buick will probably get a RWD sedan, which will replace the Lucerne I think, or the LaCrosse. However, the LaCrosse is probably going to be replaced with an epsilon-2 (next generation epsilon) platform, so the RWD Buick will probably replace the Lucerne.

So, if the Lucerne drops the FWD DTS platform, then what will Cadillac do? My guess is that they could build a longer wheelbase sigma platform DTS. That car would be a longer, bigger STS, with a bigger price tag. I think putting the DTS on a platform shared with Chevy is not a good plan. The current FWD DTS/Lucerne will probably see production at least through the 2008 model year.
  • I need space and want some comfort along with it. I'm seriously considering an '03-'05 DeVille for my <$30k investment. Could I get some opinions on the pros/cons of these vehicles.

One specific detail...I have a tough time getting comfortable in many vehicles. I'm 6'5" tall. I usually prefer good quality split-bench type seats even to high end bucket seats. (I like to have space to stretch my long legs off to the side on occasion.)

I'd also consider opinions regarding other options within this price range.

Thanks.
  • bremertongbremertong Posts: 436
    I own a 2004 Deville and am quite satisfied with it. Recently bought a second car and among the ones I considered that you might consider (taking your height in to account and need for a big comfortable car) along with Deville are
    Lincoln Town Car, probably could find a 2005 for under $30k. Also consider the Ford Crown Victoria and Mercury Grand Marque which you could get for for under $30k and perhaps new. The Crown Victoria and Grand Marque are the best large sedan values on the market IMO. Best wishes and let us know what you decide.
  • 04cad04cad Posts: 131
    Hi if you want to get a buy,,, look at your local Cadillac dealers for 2005 program cars with less than 20,000 miles with a four year 50,000 mile factory warranty asking around $25,000 dollars. I have one and am looking to trade for another soon. With the balance of the warranty you can be sure you are taken care of in the unlikely event a major problem occurs. Also the 2006 program cars are starting to show up on lots too. Bob
  • geo9geo9 Posts: 739
    AMEN to that Bob ! Around my area of Syracuse NY
    05 DeVilles (ex-rentals) with around 25 k miles are
    being advertised at $23,999 at several dealers!!!!!!!!!!!
    A sweet Caddy for the price of a used v-6 cam/cord
    appliance mobile............

I note that CTS used prices are running strong at
    $23k and up for 04 models................

Heck, another local mega dealer has 05 Impalas (ex-rentals)
    at $10,995
  • I am using a crashed 1992 Sedan DeVille as a motor donor. The alternator has a 3 wire plug going to a coil/relay unit in the passenger side front fender (in front of the wheel). Does anyone know what this is for? I've purchased a Haynes manual & they don't speak of it. :confuse:
  • bolivarbolivar Posts: 2,316
    Wild, wild guess - a heated windshield?
    Heated windshields were an option in 1992.
  • Really!?!? I see the ECM output for heated windshield.....
    I need an input for my "charging" sensor. Didn't know if it should go to one of the three "post" wires that ran down to the assembly by the front wheel or where it should go. Just on the B+ terminal maybe??? hmmmm, don't know.
    thanks for the help though.
  • fatpunkfatpunk Posts: 4
    ok i have a 79 deville project car......in pretty good condition the paint is rough but thats about it...i am looking to do a few things to the 425 to liven it up a little and i plan to have a dark gray paint scheme with blacked out windows and american racing torque thrust 2 gray wheels dual exhaust and a few other things...only question i suppose is there any easy way to lower the 79's an inch or 2? i have looked around and i cant find lowering springs or anything...any help would be much appreciated :)
    FP..............that 425 is NOT a hotrod motor !!!!!!!!
    Pounding on it will only result in major engine damage.
    Its made for crusing and NOT racing !!!!!!!!!!

The rocker arms are riding double on a cheap u shaped
    stamped "steel" band that holds them together. The
    cheap steel snaps and you end up with a few bent push
    rods and possible bent valves.
    Unlike other GM v-8s where each seperate rocker arm is
    held by itself to a stud and nut in the head which can
    take high RPM abuse !

Now if that Cad had a Buick 307 or a Chevy/Olds 350-402
    you could mod away..............

When I had my Fleetwood 75 with the 425 my young cousins
    took it out and pounded on it and snapped that rocker arm
    tray with major valvetrain damage I warned them about
    it too.........knuckleheads !!!!!!!!!!!!! :cry:

I have NO problems pounding on my 03 Deville with the N-star. But a older caddy with a 425/368 your asking for
    trouble.

Good luck and keep us posted !..................
    no my friend you misunderstand me i have no desire to pound on it at all...i will use it for cruising but in the process of doing the other things to it i want to add a little power and make it sound better and such. i appreciate the info and concern but i have no intention of racing it or beating on it....just getting a little more power out of it just to have it more or less....cheers
    Performance mod. stuff is simply NOT manufactured for
    a 425 anymore pure and simple. Possibly a big aftermarket
    carb, a breakerless ignition conversion kit and maybe
    a fancy open element air cleaner are about the only
    "performance" mods you could do to the motor itself.

Check out Jegs, eldebrock, holley, hurst, crane cams etc. on line and you will see what I mean.

Now if you owned a machine shop and reworked the
    valve train arrangment plus other internal mods.....
    But then your spending MAJOR bucks.
    A small or big block high performance GM crate motor
    is a great option for performace applications.
    Spending 4 to 5 thousand is not out of the question.
    see although i do appreciate the input...i am aware of what is out there for the engine...i planned on a open air filter/ catless exhaust/bigger carb/ few simple things....the only thing i was really asking initially was whats the best way to lower the 79. i have done alot of research on everything else about the car (had it for about a year now) just never really got a good answer on the lowering question....i always get some jackass kid saying "just cut the springs" i was wondering if there were any other known ways to lower the 79 an inch or 2....not looking for a low rider just a more agressive lower look....but like i said i appreciate all the info you provided geo...thanks for being helpful. *cheers* :)
    As far as lowering your Deville cutting the front
    coil springs or installing a spring compressor (poor
    choice) is the only way to drop the front.

As far as the rear depending on if you have coil or
    leaf springs. If coil again cutting the spring or
    using a spring compressor are your only options.
    if you have leafs you could remove a leaf or 2 (thru
    the trial or error method. There are even ways to
    "reverse" the spring order to lower the rear.

Have you done any Google searches on lowering a car?
    Theres prob. a lot of sites out there..........

Even check out http://www.cadillacforums.com
    they have a complete Caddy mod thread over there and
    some folks that could point you in the right direction.

Good Luck and keep us posted !.................geo :)
  • bolivarbolivar Posts: 2,316
    I know nothing about lowering a car.

But couldn't you get an inch or so with low profile tires?

What rim and tires that would fit and give a lower profile - I can't help you.