Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cadillac DeVille

Comments

• bolivarbolivar Posts: 2,316
    Well, I think you have quite a bit wrong here.

If he truly has blown head gaskets on a Northstar, there is more to it than replacing the gaskets and using new head bolts.

He will have to have the motor pulled. This is the only way to make the following repair because you cannot reach the rear head to do this.

The heads have to be pulled. (If you do this, do both heads.) Just unscrewing the head bolts will many times damage more of the bolts, stripping the alumium threads. Then the motor has to be 'Timeserted'. This is a package which has a metal jig (which can be reused, shops that have done this before will already have this) which is bolted to the motor and all the bolt holes are drilled out. Then threads are re-tapped into the holes. Then a special Timesert insert is screwed in. Then the head can be put back on with a new gasket and new bolts, which screw into the new insert. The heads themselves usually are fine, they are almost bulletproof, there is no milling needed. Then the motor can be put back in.

This is usually around a $3,000 job. The main part is labor. Pulling the motor (and transmission together), drilling, tapping, assembly and then putting the motor back into the car. Parts are only something like $500-$750 or so, including a Timesert kit and the needed gaskets, etc.

When you are looking at a $6,000 car (1999 Deville), you really need to think about putting $3,000 into it. A lot of beautiful Cadillacs are scrapped because of the cost of a head job.
  • i have a 87 sedan deville that wont start .it just stoped one day .it has 90,000 miles 4.1 engine, has spark.its getting fuel. local dealer told me its proly the cam shaft .i just got the vehicle so no real history .i have tried moving the timing around i can get it to where it sounds like its going to start but doesnt. any one have a idea about this ?
  • walterm3walterm3 Posts: 8
    My DTS is approaching 100,000 miles - time for tune up. What else should I expect or need other than engine tune up? Do the electronic shocks wear out like the older shocks/struts?
    What are you expecting to service? What does your owner's manual say?

If it were mine, I would do:
    -Plugs
    -Plug wires (may not have these, may be coil-on-plug)
    -Coolant
    -Drain transmission fluid (don't flush. But be sure whoever does this knows there is a second plug after you pull the pan that need to be pulled.)
  • walterm3walterm3 Posts: 8
    Perhaps I should have been more spcific - What can I expect the Cadillac Service Manager to suggest needs to be done at 100,000 miles. Again- are shocks/struts on the agenda?
    He may suggest that any liquid near the car, including your Slushy drink in the cup holder be changed.

Rotate the air in the tires.

The liquid change should include the turn signal fluid.

Grease the muffler bearings.

What's so hard about looking at the service items in the owner's manual for the 100,000 service?

The list I previously gave should cover it.

I can't say much about the struts. Is the car banging when going over bumps? If so, there my be a need for struts, or other suspension components, such as sway bar linkages. If the struts are electronically controlled, there will be sensor in there that tell the computer if they are working ok. If they are not, there will be a check engine light turned on and/or a message displayed in your Display Information Condition (DIC) on your dash.
  • brendansbrendans Posts: 1
    99 Caddy Deville. the trunk release and fuel door release have stopped working, no clicking noise either. remote key buttons won't open them either. doors do open with remote. I've replaced the radio/phone and convenc fuses in the trunk but it didn't help. could it be another fuse ? or something else?
    brendans
    Does your have the 'Valet' button in the edge of the glove box?

If so, you may have pushed this. It disables opening the trunk.
  • 2008200820082008 Posts: 1
    I own a 98 caddy deville my headlights come on by themselves only in daytime when I put the car in gear only and at night they dont come at all and my dash says headlights suggested does any one no whats my problem
  • sls002sls002 Posts: 2,788
    I think that the in the daytime you see the daylight running lights. Are you sure that the automatic headlights on switch is turned on? If it is then it has failed.
  • Hey does anyone know how to change the steering wheel of a 98 cadillac without having th airbag deploy???
  • mopajimopaji Posts: 1
    My wife was pulling out of a parking spot in her 2001 Honda Civic and bumped my brother's 2001 DeVille rear bumper. She looked for damage and saw none so she came home. Now, he says that she caused $1,600.00 worth of damage because she cracked his bumper. Mind you, the Honda had just been painted not even two months prior and still had no scuffs or anything. My question is, could she have caused that much damage while not getting even a scratch on her little civic?

Thanks for any and all input!
    Easily.

If a crack in the bumper cover was actually found, and the underlying 5mph bumper guarding structure was damaged, and then the painting of a new bumper cover - easily $1,600 to cover repairing all of this.
    Yes, the damage was certainly there. However, the damage could have been someone else who bumped into it at an earlier time and drove off without reporting.
    I just responded to the question if damage to a rear bumper could come to $1,600.

Now there is another position as to the possibility that the damage could be repaired for less.......

I've seen repair estimates for the same damage vary by almost 100% of a lower estimate.
    Until the bumper is taken apart the extent of the damage is not known. Usually the insurance company will require more than one estimate, or may have their adjuster do the esitmate. The plastic part that is cracked will probably need to be replaced and this part is probably expensive. If it is repairable, then the cost should be less, but $1500 is not a lot for body damage these days.
    I should have responded to your post. The damage to the DeVille is probably real. However your question is valid as to whether the Civic caused it or if it was already there from some previous impact. How hard was the "bump"?
  • railerrailer Posts: 1
    Hello, I'm new to this forum and new to Cadillac's. I recently purchased a used 1997 Cadillac DeVille. I have a problem starting my 1997 Cadillac DeVille (mileage approx 100,000) in the morning when the engine is cold and morning temperatures are around 50 degrees. (I don't have a problem starting the vehicle in the evening when outside temperatures are above 70 degrees.) Once started, the vehicle runs fine. The problem is getting it started. I took the vehicle to a local repair shop and they said no problems showed up on the computer. They indicated that pressure is lost overnight in the fuel line and they suggested replacing the fuel pump and fuel filter and clean injectors for $1100. Has anyone had similar problems? Will their recommended solutions solve my problem? By the way, this sounds a little expensive! Thanks in advance for all responses!
    It could be a leaking Fuel Pressure Regulator (FPR).

Are you somewhat 'handy' around the motor? It's pretty easy to check for a leak. The FPR is about $60, and can be replaced easily also.
  • pagarpagar Posts: 1
    This is first time I'm on this forum. I inherited 98 deville northstar with 45,000 miles. Gas is killing me...17 mpg ave. What about regular gas and octane additive? I don't want to ruin the car. Like new. Should I even attempt it or just be safe and use high test???