Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cadillac DeVille

Comments

• gserep1gserep1 Posts: 92
    Hello,
    The Northstar Engine has such a big oil pan because the Northstar design requires LOTS of oil in the engine cavities at all times. There are a lot of complex internals on these engines. I would hate to count the number of intricate pieces. All of these parts need lots of oil volume under terrific pressure. I realized that when my service writer told me that there are 4 camshafts, with 32 lobes for 32 valves and followers. Absolutely the worst thing that you could do to this engine is to run it out of oil. That would be a costly mistake. Plus this thing can turn 7000 rpm before it reaches its' limiter. At that speed, a lot of oil is up top lubricating and cooling, and testing showed that nothing would be in the pan if there was only 5 quarts in the system...(oil starvation).

I use the maintenance monitor in the car, instead of the regular old 3000 mile rule. The car knows best when the oil needs to be changed. 8 quarts is a lot of oil and money. Get the most usage and save time and money. Change only at 3000 miles if all of the driving is in the city. My maintenance monitor reflects city driving by the speed in which the oil percentage numbers go down towards 0. The numbers stay higher for a longer period of time when driven on the highway.

Thanks again,
    GSEREP1
  • sonjaabsonjaab Posts: 1,057
    Because mine like many others uses 1 qt.
    every 1000 miles. You need them 8 qts.
    Had synthetic 5w30 put in in Fla. and it
    used 3 qts. in 1500 miles....yikes !!!!!!!
  • I sense that you and your boss are pretty close. I could not imagine having my boss drive my car and put that many miles on it. Your boss must be cool like hell. Wish mine was. :-)

gserep1,

On average of mile intervals between oil changes, how often do you have to change the oil between miles if mostly interstate driven depending on complex internals of the engines of smaller compact cars to large luxury cars? Is the same case for SUVs and diesel engines also reply or you would have to treat them differently? I kind of learn something, from you where you stated, that in city driving mostly, oil changes should be done every 3,000 miles on the dot.

J "CaddyLac"
    That Caddy is her car. She goes to Fla every
    year with her friends. As we are older, kids
    gone........ And i need a rest too.
    I just got a new Chevy 2500 4x4 x-cab last week
    so i haven't posted much and we have been bustin
    tail to open our motel in Alexandria Bay NY
    for the summer. She runs that in summer. I run
    our bar & rest in syr. ny all year....
    But she did go out and buy me a new bedliner
    and tonneau cover.................
    You know what they say about the old blue
    hairs in the CADDY !!!!! Geo
  • robh3robh3 Posts: 157
    Sounds like you are happy with your '01 DHS vs the '00 DTS. Did you think to see if they'd swap you a set of 17" rims for your DHS? I can't say I have ever seen them on anything other than a DTS, however lots of progressive Caddy dealerships will accommodate wheel preferences for their clients. You might check if that is the one thing about the DHS that might nag at you during your ownership...

In fact, I'd have to say the the DHS is a rare breed. I have seen very few. Seems I see either the base Deville or the DTS.
  • bolivarbolivar Posts: 2,316
    The real reason it takes 8 quarts is when it was first introduced Cadillac had a huge advertizing campaign about how it could be run for up to 50 miles without water.

Remember that?

Only way for a motor to do that was to have a huge oil supply to help absorb the heat when run without water. My 95 has a section in the owners manual about doing this. Don't know if they still have this in the newer ones. Manual says in BIG BOLD LETTERS that you must change the oil as soon as possible if you drive without water.

So, in my humble opinion, the 8 quart design is mainly advertizing crap.

P.S. Just greased and changed oil. Whoever responded about grease zerks - you were correct - 2 at end of steering linkage, 2 on lower ball joints, total of 4. Wonder what Caddy gets for greasing them, $19.99 at least?

Threw in 7 quarts. Just barely on the dipstick. Added the 8th quart. Shows exactly half quart low. Should I go for 8 1/2????????
    You wanna have a laugh about a oil change ?
    Read my posts #457 and #465
    .....Geo
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,197
    Does the Northstar take Mobil 1? Is synthetic oil reccommended for the Northstar? Why 5W30? . Seems like a lightweight oil. I use 10W30 in my 1994 Deville with 4.9 V-8.
    Check out this link! Should this be a cause for alarm among Cadillac afficianados?

http://www.msnbc.com/news/575713.asp?cp1=1

When the boss had Valvoline 5-30 Synthetic
    put in in Fla. My 96 norstar used 3 Qts. in 1500
    miles !! My 90 4.9 went to 120K and never used
    a drop of dino oil. Had the 96 changed a couple
    of weeks ago with reg 10w30 dino haven't checked
    it on consumption yet. I hope its back to its
    usual 1 qt in 1000 miles . If not it may be new
    car time. Maybe thats why the ol' ball and chain
    has beeen so nice to me lately..Didn't beef at
    all about my new truck.....But like i said i keep
    my cars to 100k plus but the truck has to go
    every 3-4 years as i work the tar out of it....Geo
  • svconcourssvconcours Posts: 2
    Hi, I had responded to you on the zerk fittings. On the oil, the stick should be at or near the top with 8 qts, and at the midpoint at 7.5 qts. I checked with the dealer when I bought my car 4 years ago and a service writer said 7.5 qts is at mid-stick (I only put in 7.5 qts because for some reason my particular car uses more oil if I fill to 8, and for my 97, 7.5 is the listed capacity with filter so I'm comfortable with that). If after 8 qts the stick isn't near the top, assuming there are no leaks, you might want to check to be sure the car is on an absolutely level surface (e.g. some garages are not level although they look like it). A very slight grade will cause the stick to read low if the car is pointed uphill, because the stick is at the front of the sump. Another possibility is the brand of filter you use, the factory AC PF58 is slightly shorter than at least one brand I know of so if your filter is bigger it could make the reading slightly lower (but I doubt it). Sorry for the long answer, hope it helps.
    I don't think the Northstar is the only modern day engine out there that requires more than 5 qts., is it?

I new someone who had an early '80's vintage Mercedes, and his required 8 qts of oil. He found out the hard way when he took it to Jiffy Lube and they only put in 5 qts. His engine siezed up!
    Hello all
    96 Deville 75500k northstar used about 1/2 qt.
    dino oil in 500 miles...
    Yup back to 1 qt. 1000 miles......
    runs good looks better......
    WOULD I EVER BUY ANYTHING ELSE ??.......NAH!!!!!
    ...GEO
    ps EXCEPT FOR MY TRUCK !!!!
    Hey by the way ..Anybody using reg. gas and
    having pinging and stalling problems????
    My girl is too cheap to put premium $225 in our 96
    I changed the plugs to one range colder (AC s)
    Pinging gone with regular gas..But not as much
    power... Geo
  • mdm4mdm4 Posts: 33
    This message is in reply to message # 479 placed by user 456ttt. I received two nasty replies from Cadillac, one from Peter Koenig and the other from Stephen Johnson. They both are with the the GM Internet Response Center. Basically they said just because the design was changed in 2001 in no way means that the 2000 visors are defective. I plan on pursuing this issue, but I suspect that it will be a waste of my time.

What gets me is the fact that I recently received a coupon worth $2,000 towards the purchase of a 2001 Deville. Does Cadillac really think unsatisfied customers will come back? I would think that a simple visor upgrade to make a current customer happy would make sense to Cadillac, I guess not. They do not understand the simple concept of repeat business.
    ...I'll take it! I'm in the market for a new Deville!
    Exactly what did they say that was "nasty"? In what way are the "new" 2001 visors different? Do you honestly think that Mercedes or BMW or Lexus would change out the sun visors if the new ones had a completely different design and anchoring system? I might be wrong, but I don't think so.

I asked for new seat belts on the front seats of my '99 STS and the dealer changed them for '01 seat belts no problem, but the "new" seat belts use the exact same fittings to attach to the car. Have you asked your dealer if this can be done with the sun visors?
  • My parents have a 97 cadillac deville with 36k miles on it. This morning it wouldn't start. Lights are on and everything but when you turn the key it just clicks. Headlights are on too. Is this the starter or what.
  • It still could be a low battery. When the battery on my Continental started going, If I let the car sit for a day it wouldn't start. There was still enough juice to run all the lights and electronics, but not enough to turn the engine.

-Robberbarron
    If that '96 Deville has its original battery, it's probably due for a replacement. The average lifespan of a battery is 5 to 6 years.
  • arcoatesarcoates Posts: 221
    I just want to congratulate the DTS for being named to the list of contenders for the world's best sedan inthe ROBB Reports best of issue. That's quite a feat, considering the BMW 7 was left off. The DTS is a considerable jump from the previous DeVille's and someone like the ROBB taking notice proves that~ A.R.
  • I think that $2000 is worth more then the hassle of putting new visors in the car. If it's that important to you, take the $2000 and go get a new Deville.

-Robberbarron
    I was not aware the DTS nomination for "best sedan" in the Robb Report. Just being nominated say a lot!

Do you know what the criteria is they are using for the judging/selection?
  • Is the article, currently, available at news stands?

J "CaddyLac"
  • arcoatesarcoates Posts: 221
    It is available on newstands. It is their annual best of edition. I don't know what the criteria are, but I can tell you the DTS is in elite company such as the winner, Bentley Arnage Red Label, MB S-Class, Audi S8, Lexus LS430 and the Jaguar XJ8. I will save you the $10.00 and read you the statement:

"Cadillac hasn't left the building. It's making a comeback, and the DeVille DTS is the star of the show. A 300-hp V-8 and road-sensing suspension reinstate the superior performance of Cadillac's finer years. Outside, the DeVille DTS has a leaner, chiseled, contemporary appearance. Inside, the old disco-era look of the dashboard has been replaced by European styling. Classic Cadillac staples, such as the spacious trunk and interior, remain".

Congrats Cadillac~ A.R.
  • Thanks.

J "CaddyLac"
  • mosaixmosaix Posts: 106
    Hey guys, I'm looking to buy a new car soon and have always wanted a luxury car. I've found a 1997 Deville Concours with 58K for $21,900. It is completely loaded including Onstar and the integrated hands-free cell phone with steering wheel controls, sunroof, cd changer, the works. It's beautiful too, pearl red with the chrome wheels. What do you guys think of the price? It's at a Cadillac dealer and appears to be one that has been traded in for a new model. I haven't driven it yet and I wanted some ideas on price when I go into the dealership if I do. The listed price seems decent considering the how much the car was when new, but I'm not sure. I know dealers usually start out asking high prices on used cars expecting low ball offers and then work up from there. I could drive it and it could turn out to be a bomb, but it looks to be in excellent shape and typically a dealer like that will not keep used models in poor shape. Heck, they've got this one up on a rack in front of their used lot.
  • theyustheyus Posts: 3
    We bought the DTS 15 months ago. Dealer has been telling us the rough idle problem will be solved with a software fix. Well, after waiting for 15 months, my wife asked another dealer near her office about this problem (during a routine oil job). This dealer went ahead with:

Replace intake and exhaust camshafts per TSBVSS20010048
    Reprogram PCM

All together, I counted 15 parts. Looks like a very expensive warranty job. Anyway, the 2000 DTS now runs real well and NO ROUGH IDLE. We are now happy.
  • larry0605larry0605 Posts: 3
    The Mileage on my 2000 DTS has progressively dropped from an average of around 19 MPG to 16.4 MPG. I noticed the difference when I had a warranty loaner 275HP Deville(cruise button died) and got 22.8 MPG driving the same type of roads. I asked the service guy about it and
    he asked what octane gas I was using. I told him 87 as called for. He replied that they
    were finding out that the car needed at least 89 octane to prevent "carbonization". He said if I
    brought it in they would "de-carbonize" it under warranty. the car only has 15,000
    miles. Am I being feed a line of bull or is this real?
  • captainjcaptainj Posts: 31
    what's the most reliable used Cadillac to buy? I don't need any extras or features, I just want a full-size smooth riding car for everyday use. Thanks.