Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cadillac DeVille

Comments

• andrew47andrew47 Posts: 14
    I can't wait to do the same thing. What kind of repairs has your 98 needed? I know they can be expensive for the caddy. My main concern with these otherwise awesome cars is the issue of reliability and cost of repairs. Thanks again.
  • I purchased the 98 in January of 2000 as it came off lease with 30k. The generator was replaced so far under warranty, but nothing else.

I did replace the torque converter on the 95 at about 72k. That was $800.00 .

I had a real surprise at l20k. The four struts were worn out . GM has a patent on them and the 4 struts replaced was $2200.00.

I am definitely going to get out of my caddys now before replacing struts.

harleybill
    knoxville, tennessee
    Thanks. Overall, it seems as though the pros still outweigh the cons. Do you think the struts on the '98 will have a problem, too? Still, this happened after 120k for the '95. That's not ridiculous or anything. Today, I saw what I think was a '96 Fleetwood. Holy cow, what a monster! It was beautiful in a scary kind of way. Would you recommed this car? Also, I was reading about the standard stereo equipment for the '98 Concours and d'Elegance. Jesus! 11 speakers. Tell me about yours. Thanks again.
  • etharmonetharmon Posts: 399
    Unless you like land yauchts, stick with the Deville over the Fleetwood. The Fleetwood is 100% old school Caddy which is not all a bad thing, but I personlly would prefer the Northstar V8 and better handling.
    I think you're right. Do you know anything about the reports of extreme complications modifying the stereos for Caddys? I heard the entire electrical system is tied to the stereo, so any changes are nearly impossible.
    I don't know much about modifying Cadillac radios. I wouldn't think it would involve the entire electrical system.
  • jgmilbergjgmilberg Posts: 872
    The northstar uses belts. No need to change for a good long time. Motor should not need any maint. other than oil and belts for 100K.
  • ccraigheccraighe Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2000 DHS new last April. Get a roaring noise usually at highway speed. Sounds like tire noise that you hear if you drift off the expressway, but much softer. Seems to be temperature related because it was noticed last summer, then went away but returned when I was in Florida in February. Has anyone experienced a similar problem? My dealer has not been able to diagnosis the problem.
    The Northstar V8's overhead cams are driven by chains, not belts. The only thing that is belt driven are the accessories like the A/C compressor, alternator, P/S pump, and water pump.
  • b4zb4z Posts: 3,372
    My olds/caddy dealer just got in 35 Devilles, STSs, Escalades and Auroras. I asked the Gm if they were a fleet purchase and he told me that they were going to the Hootie and the Blowfish after the Masters charity tournament at Kiawah Island.
    After that they are going to to the Heritage at Hilton Head, then they will be sold.
    I looked at the Escalade and the gauges look incredible. Didn't like the front end though.
  • ashur1ashur1 Posts: 8
    Hey, Just an update on my Cadillac experience. I have been speaking with someone who I believe works for GM's (contracted out to Sitel) customer assistance 'program'. They answer the phone 'GM executive offices'. He indicates that the field representative wants to talk to me about my car. I want the idle fixed! I want someone at GM to care that I have had a real bad experience with this car. I want some token gesture. Well, I have been waiting to speak with the field rep for a couple of weeks now. I am getting worked up again. I know that letters sent to the Chairman will end up at the same location the calls are answered. So, I'm still telling everyone about me experience. Just yesterday I had a colleauge ride with me. He loved my car but thought the quality issues were terrible. Said he would never buy a Cadillac. Of course he is predisposed to Lexus. I have been driving the DHS for just over a year and I am still waiting for that new car good feeling. Of course I did get that calendar... Oh yes, and the grill badge. I envy all of you who have had a good experience... Thanks for reading.
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,067
    I have purchased two new Cadillacs and my experience with the dealer had a lot to do with my decision. I purchased my first new Cadillac at the age of 24 - a 1989 Cadillac Brougham. I know it's unusual for a 24-year old to buy a new Cadillac, but I've always dreamed of having a new Cadillac since I saw a neighbor's black 1963 Sedan de Ville when I was three years-old.

The salesman at the first dealer I visited had a very snooty attitude like "who is this kid and why is he wasting my time." I had a perfectly good 1987 Chevrolet Caprice Classic for a trade and a substantial down-payment but this man's demeanor really turned me off. Not all young people are skateboarding slackers who watch MTV all day, but this sure had that attitude.

A second dealer was very accomodating, but I didn't think he was offering me a fair trade on my Caprice.

At the third dealer, the salesperson was a young woman who just started that month. She really went out of her way to sell me the car and offered me a very generous trade. She wasn't prejudiced against me because of my age and treated me with respect and dignity. This young lady got the sale. That first guy could've learned a lot from her. I came back 5 years later and got my second Cadillac - a 1994 base Deville which I use today as my daily driver, (I still have the Brougham in mint condition). I will probably go back there again if I consider another Cadillac, though Oldsmobile's incentives on the Aurora are very tempting.

What's the point of all this? I just hope all of Cadillac's dealers are learning to treat younger people with dignity and respect and discarding their prejudices. They can't keep serving the same elderly clientele forever. Cadillac builds some truly impressive cars, but the dealer experience may have left a lot of younger people cold.
  • I been on the road for a while. I believe the struts will wear out on any of these cars eventually. I think trading before l20K will be my next target. My wife loves the 95 because it is a white diamond. I might look for a white diamond again next time. I had a choice between a silver/ gray 98 and a white diamond. I drove the white diamond and it just felt like I was buying the same car I was driving. I just need a color change every now and then.
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,067
    I have a Carmine Red Metallic '94 Deville that is about the sharpest looking red you've ever seen. You don't see too many red Cadillacs because red is a color usually associated with sports cars. I sure hope Cadillac still offers this color when I buy my next Deville.
    I think the Carmine Red is a very sharp color as well. Unfortunately Cadillac no longer offers it. However, Crimson Pearl is pretty close and is very sharp and if you like a darker red, the Cabernet on the Deville looks nice. I'm 26 now and I've always liked Cadillacs as well. I currently have a 98 Oldsmobile Intrigue which is a great driver's car, but it's no Cadillac. It's a lease and the lease is up in a few months and I can't decide whether I want to take advantage of the excellent incentives and buy another Intrigue brand new or get a 3-4 year old Cadillac.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Pardon the interruption - I want to explain the name change of this discussion.

Since we have moved to our new platform, we no longer have the requirement to stop and restart discussions after the numbers of posts exceed a certain limit. Since this discussion can continue as long as anyone has anything to say about DeVilles, there is no longer a need for the "2" that has been included in the discussion name. Down the road, that could confuse our newer members so I have removed it.

I've altered the name slightly of the original DeVille discussion in the Archives to differentiate it from this active one.

Please continue...

Pat
    Host
    Sedans and Women's Auto Center Message Boards
  • pathy57pathy57 Posts: 25
    I'm on my third Cadillac a 95 Deville just turning 69,000 miles. Have had two Devilles and an Eldorado. Been looking to trade and have been considering either a Seville SLS or possibly an Aurora,( with the incentives going on now), but I have a question to someone with the experience of having owned a Seville and a Deville, what is the real difference, size, ride. power, money or what?
  • carnaughtcarnaught Posts: 1,566
    Well I just got my car back after a week at the dealer's. I had a service light on for the traction control & warning message to check the differential. When I called the service manager, he said, in no uncertain terms NOT to drive the car and promptly had it flatbedded in. Please note that I only had it back for a week following a previous five days in for a "service airbag" warning and replacement of a steering wheel indicator light. Today when my salesman saw me picking it up, he asked how I liked the car. I responded the truth...I like it when it's not in the service dept.! My second and probable last Cadillac!
  • rwc669rwc669 Posts: 1
    I have had my 1995 Deville for about three years. It had 42K miles on it when I bought it. Now with 75k miles on it and I am well pleased with it. I am getting 22.6 mpg mixed driving. I like to keep my car clean and shinny. I am pleased with the paint and body hardware. I am disappointed that it only uses premium gas and the range estimation is usually overly optimistic. I had a message appear on the bottom of the dash controls that alerted me that ride controls were failing. I asked the local Caddy dealer about it . The service attendant said that it was not an actual problem but an error in the sensors and for about $300.00 they would disable that part of the computer. If I ever had a real problem in that area after it was disabled, I would now be warned.

I am somewhat disabled having lost my left arm in the service. My pelvis and legs were damaged but I can still walk. I was disappointed that there was no comfortable place to rest my left foot while driving.
    My wife has a Honda Accord. The left foot can rest on a comfortable plate. I went to a salvage yard and bought two different foot plates from Hondas and had one of them fitted to the floorboard below the emergency brake petal. I would recommend that solution to anyone needing left foot comfort. Why Caddy did not design the left foot area to be more comfortable is beyond me.
  • dongilldongill Posts: 1
    My 1998 Cadillac Deville with 11,000 miles burns excessive oil.......about a quart every 1,000
    miles. My car has had regular service using the factory recommended oil. The Cadillac service manager says the Northstar engines burn a lot of oil and that they will not repair the engine unless it uses a quart of oil every 800 miles. Is this true? What is your experience? Thank you for your help!