Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cadillac DeVille

Comments

• I still have my 95 Concours which burned 2 qts oil in under 1500 miles. Cadillac replaced the engine at 70k under extended warranty. My wife still drives it at l78k and no oil comsumption problems. I heard from the cadillac people that the piston rings were changed from the original design.

I now drive a 98 concours with 71k that has no oil comsumption problems.

The difference between the 275 hp motor and the 300 hp motor is all in the camshafts. The 300 motor developes its horsepower at higher rpms. These motors are a blast to drive
  • Just returned from an 11,000 mile trip across US. 2001 DTS was exceptional Averaged 24.5 mpg at speeds of 70 - 85 mph. Noticed message center warnings in cold weather.
  • Have 2001 DTS with 45000 miles. Notice a lot of "sparklies" in windshield when sun hits it. No pits on outside of windshild. Anyone else have this problem?
  • You obviously have a pitted windshiels. Use your $100 deductible and get a new one.
  • sonjaabsonjaab Posts: 1,057
    I noticed that on my 02....ICE POSSIBLE
    message since its been in the 20s in
    northern NY.
    ALSO i have read that on newer Caddys
    you can have your name programed into
    the message center by a Caddy Dealer.
    ..................geo
  • richm4richm4 Posts: 169
    Is a $6,000 rebate worth taking on a 2002 DTS when factoring in the automatic depreciation of it being 1 year old when driving it off the lot, (I keep my cars for 5 years)?

I'd be willing to wait for an 03 in the spring if I knew GM would be offering a $3K or $4K rebate.
  • wwhite2wwhite2 Posts: 535
    When is the deville expected to be redesigned ?
  • I was faced with a similar decision last month and decided to go with the 2002 and a big discount. I also plan on keeping the car for a long time and when I looked at the resale values of cars currently 5-6 years old, the one year difference in their model years didn't seem to make that much difference. You won't get much for a five year old cadillac one way or the other. Having teen aged kids to hand it down to in the future (if they are willing to accept "an old man's car" at that point without extensive complaints helped in my decision making.
  • fjk57702fjk57702 Posts: 539
    The Deville was all new in 2000. Probably the next all new design will be the 06 or 07 model year. A lot depends on how the car sells between now and then. The Seville is moving to the rear wheel drive CTS (sigma) platform and what happens to the Deville will probably depend on how the sigma platform cars do.
    When shopping this year for a 02 base Deville.
    (Wanted CTS...Dealers would not do GM employee
    discount). I looked at ex-rental 02s with 20k
    miles for 29k. Bought a new base Deville with
    bose, chromies, bunwarmers,hole in roof, with
    my GM employee discount, rebate, cad loyalty
    bonus, GM MC cash, 33k otd. I figured since I
    will keep it 5-6 yrs and 100k plus miles. I
    figured for 4k more I had a NEW car. Sure
    when I trade it I know it won't be worth much !
    Rdesman, yeah I'm kinda hesitant to buy a new caddy, even with all the discounts, due to the depreciation.

I'm also considering a Lexus ES300 which I'll probably have to pay close to sticker for. But at least when I trade it in 5 years, I can get 40-50% of my money back.
  • Elsewhere in Edwards is a useful tool called "total cost of ownership" or something like that. You can compare all aspects of the five year costs for the Cadillac and other competitive vehicles. Even though raw depreciation for the Cadillac may be greater, the total five year costs are, in my opinion, close enough so that you can make a rational decision based on merely which car you like the most without any sleepless nights. Note though when you use the tool that the interest expenses calculated will not be valid particularly if you can get the 2002 Cadillac with zero % interest. But whatever, do not overdose on the Advil.
    When you trade in ANY 5-6 yo car Mr. dealer
    will HOSE you on the trade anyway. The market
    on 300s are pretty soft now too ! Check over
    at real world trade in values in the smart
    shopper thread. Those guys can tell ya !
  • oldsman01oldsman01 Posts: 1,203
    I'd skip the Lexus(or at least go with an LS) and get the DTS. The ES300 is a fancy Camry, the Deville is a luxury car from design up. As for the $6K discount, is this taken off MSRP or off a negotiated price? If the price is already below MSRP and then you take the 6K, it is a pretty good deal. Deville DTSs are VERY nice cars. I sat in one at an auto show this past weekend and while my tastes and driving style lean toward a CTS or even an STS, I'd easily pick a DTS over an Escalade(or ES300) any day. If your keeping the car 5 years, then the resale problem won't be as bad. The first year or so is when they drop the most. And DTSs are not as common as base Devilles so if you keep your mileage at a reasonable level and keep the car in good shape, it should be worth something when you go to trade or sell.
    Oldsman01, the $6K is cashback from the factory, ON TOP of another $6K discount for being a relative of a GM employee, PLUS another $2300 rebate I have on my GM card.

So basically, I can get a loaded $52,000 sticker price 2002 DTS "out the door" for around $41,500, or I can get a 2003 ES300 that stickers for $35,500 out the door for around $35,500 (no Mark Levinson stereo).

Based on the discount from sticker price, the caddy is the big winner, but taking into account depreciation and reliablity makes the Lexus deal not so bad.
  • You could buy the 2002DTS with all the discounts,"flip" it to one of your very close friends on this message board, and with the profit go buy your ES300 at a now lower net price. What state do you live in just out of curiosity?
  • oldsman01oldsman01 Posts: 1,203
    A new car with an MSRP of 51K for 41K? My mind would be made up already. That is an excellent deal. This is a Cadillac your talking about, not a Kia. And getting the car that cheap to begin with should help you with resale down the road. Like I said before, if you want a Lexus, buy a real Lexus(GS or LS) otherwise save yourself another 10K and just buy a loaded Camry V6.
    I live in Chicago. Unfortunately, one of the provisions of the GM employee discount is that one must keep the car at least 6 months before selling it, otherwise I (and my father-in-law who is the actual employee) could be disqualified from the program in the future.

I'm really starting to think the DTS is my best deal, even though I really would prefer to spend in the mid 30's for a new car. I realize I can get a CTS for that price, but the CTS interior seems really downmarket to me.
    Checking the GM family first site today.
    $6000 rebate or 0% int. on 2002 Devilles.
    Bummer when I got mine it was 3k. 3 weeks
    later 4k, NOW 6k....................geo

BTW my base deville with roof, bun warmers,
    chromies, special paint, etc was 33k OTD
    minus trade
    Sonjaab, the DTS rebate has been 6K since at least Sept. Have they just made the 6K rebate on ALL Devilles?

There's not that much left in 2002 DTS inventory now. I may need to take a long ride to other dealerships to see what's there. I'm sorry I didn't jump at a loaded black on black DTS a few weeks ago...now it's gone.

By the way, what's the address of the GM family first site?
  • Does anyone know the details of how to program individual names into the information display instead of "driver 1" and "driver 2". I know it can be done by the dealer but I'm bored and want to do it myself if possible.
    www.gmfamilyfirst.com
    I think the 6k rebate is a GM family
    special only. Not sure.........
    When I bought it was 3k then a month
    later it went to 4k....Remember ya need
    your sponsors SS# to access site. The
    new site is SLOW and a PIA to get going.
    .............geo

BTW: Use GM Buypower..let your finger do
    the walkin'
    From what i understand a GM dealer must
    do it ! Others say different tho....
    I have scoured the manual and
    it sez nowhere how to do it on my 02.
    They can put any message ya want for
    #1 and #2 keys.........geo
    I have found Cadillac depreciation to be very high. It's just the way it is ......
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,197
    Back in the day, Cadillacs held their value quite well.
  • I drove my 2001 DHS from Florida to Illinois
    last week and I averaged 27 miles per gallon.
    I think that's very good for a big car.
  • Re: Flamingo trip - 27mpg is not just good, it's phenomenal!! I remember when Caddy's were lucky to get 12mpg. They have come a long way over the last 20 years. And the best is yet to come. When they get back to the rear wheel drive platform, look out. They will run with the very best (lets see that new V-12 soon!!)
    Like a 59 Eldorado or Sedan Deville :-)
  • fjk57702fjk57702 Posts: 539
    The 59 Cadillacs should have gotten about 15 MPG on the highway assuming that you were not exceeding the speed limit. City/local driving would have been about 10-12 MPG.
  • abc246abc246 Posts: 305
    I had to add that 20 years ago would be 1983. That year my grandfather bought a new Deville with the 4.1 V-8. That car consistently got 26-28 mpg on the highway, so I don't think that Cadillac has done much in the last 20 years for gas mileage. We also had a 82 Fleetwood, 85 Fleetwood, 91 Deville that returned similar highway mileage too.