Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cadillac DeVille

Comments

• lodenloden Posts: 1
    I have a 1997 Deville. The Traction Control light will come on occasionally with a whirring sound from under the front of the car. When I start moving from a complete stop. This only happens for a few second and the light goes out and the whirring stops. The Electronic Brake and Traction Control Module was replaced due to a recall in November 1997 at 5349 miles. The problem was not occuring before the recall. Since then, a wiring harness, power steering rack, and battery have been replaced but the problem is still there. The dealer said the battery was placing an excessive load on the alternator. The Cadillac service department can't seem to find any problem. Does anyone have any suggestions?
  • marsha7marsha7 Posts: 3,661
    on the CTS site, and it may be the wrong place to ask...this may be the better place...what are the differences between the Seville STS and Deville DTS, and also the Seville SLS and Deville DHS??? it just seems to me that STS and DTS are almost the same car, but I am sure I am missing the obvious...both are 4 door, 300 HP Northstar, large cars, quite luxurious yet performance oriented, yada, yada, yada...I assume those who are intimate with Cadillac will know the answer...thanks...
  • The alternator has been making strange sounds in my 1998 Cadillac Deville. Dealer says a bearing is worn out and the alternator needs to be replaced. Is the alternator a common problem in the Cadillacs of the late nineties? Has anyone else had similar experiences? I have only owned the car since June 2001, it had 10800 miles at purchase. The car went into service in December 1997. It seems a little strange to me that an alternator would fail at 16,500 miles. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
  • bolivarbolivar Posts: 2,316
    It's under warranty, isn't it?

Have the alternator replaced and forget about it.

As a once Caddy owner, and reader of these message boards, I can tell you a lot of stuff on Cadillacs will break. Get ready for it.
  • sonjaabsonjaab Posts: 1,057
    I have had a few new GM trucks and I
    have had the electric/hydralic snow
    plow set up on them. Boy did they chew
    up the alternators ! My 90 went thru 3
    94 went thru 2, my 97 went thru 1.....
    All with bearing falure ! My 96 Deville
    went thru NONE with 82k........Geo
  • paulctpaulct Posts: 16
    I just traded my 2000 I30T (46K) which I bought new for a preowned 2000 DTS (15K) to gain more seat space and power. So far everything seems great. But I noticed a problem with the windshield that I also had on my 92 Bonneville and my 95 Aurora. When looking thru the winshield at specific eye level points there can be distortion at far away objects if your eyes move slightly up and down. A relative of mine who works as an engineer at GM told me that GM had problems with some of it's windshields during the glass bending process. I had the glass changed on the other cars and the problem was cleared up. I thought GM cleared this up but it appears that I have the problem again. Does anyone else notice this?

BTW thanks to everyone who contributes to the these boards. Since I have read and contributed to many differnt boards and having owned all kinds of cars (American and Foreign) there are very very few cars that are problem free!
    The 01 Deville is going back tomorrow !
    CTS demo will be back for a take home!
    Deville NICE .....Northstar AWESOME !
    Woman can't see over seats ! Sure
    hopes she likes she CTS or its a Buick
    for me ! (Nice cars but not a Caddy!)..Geo
  • psedrishpsedrish Posts: 49
    I am now the Caddy driver......'02 DHS. To me, I think the car is a bit sluggish. I had been driving a '97 Mercedes S500, so maybe I'm spoiled, but even my wife's '02 ML320 seems quicker. Should I have gotten the DTS?
  • baron87baron87 Posts: 93
    There is no copmarison here...DTS is a much better vehicle. And plus I absolutley CANNOT stand that ridiculous column shifter in the DHS...overall DTS has many more technologically advanced features in the chasis control mechanisms, StabiliTrak, etc., and the H.O. NorthStar . . .
  • crunchcrunch Posts: 84
    psedrish:
    Is your DHS broken-in yet? My '02 DeVille seems to have a lot better acceleration now that it has about 3500 miles on it. But the DTS would be much better because of the lower final drive ratio.
    baron87:
    Whats so ridiculous about a column shifter in a luxury car? Wouldn't that be a matter of opinion? At lease the functions of the Cadillac column shifter are intuitive, unlike the column shifter in the new BMW 7 Series.
  • marsha7marsha7 Posts: 3,661
    while column shifters are certainly functional, I much prefer a floor/console shifter...and if I really had my druthers, I like hand brakes for parking brakes instead of foot pedals, even though the hand brake takes up some room on the console...yeah, I know...nobody asked...:):):)
  • I had the alternator develop a wine on mine before 50 K; dealership replaced it under warranty.

I was in for an oil change and service manager said, " Can't you hear your alternator wine?" I replied that my wife is in the car most of the time with me and it is hard to tell where the wineing is coming from!!!!

harleybill
    LOL !........Great post !

BTW: Picked up the CTS Fri.
    Sure hope the BOSS likes this one ~!
    or its a new Lesabre for us......Geo
  • psedrishpsedrish Posts: 49
    I bought the DHS over the DTS in a fit of practicality....the 6th passenger can make a lot of functional difference (3 couples). I did get all the bells and whistles, including the StabiliTrack II, and at 4,400 miles it runs fine, just not briskly. I too dislike the column shifter and find it imprecise (it also blocks the LEDs on my radar detector unless it's positioned just right). My tires seem to whine a bit, but not my wife....she's a peach :)
  • sanuk72sanuk72 Posts: 1
    I have experienced the same problems described by Loden #743. The dealer also tried the same remedies that seem to work for awhile, but the problem is back. Any thoughts?
    96 Deville 82k still running great.
    Only using 1 qt. oil in 2k miles !
    As you all know have had a new Deville
    for a week. Had a CTS for the weekend !
    Nice cars BUT the woman likes neither !
    Can't see over the seats !
    The v6 CTS sure don't have the guts of
    the Northstar ! She likes the Lesabre
    nice car but NOT a Caddy !
    Guess I gotta keep my fingers crossed
    Living with hot tounge and cold shoulder
    will be hard if we get a car she don't
    like.......................Geo
    Whats with the CTS thread ?
    I see all the import gurus
    and domestic haters RUINED
    that thread ! I want to hear
    more from somebody who OWNS
    and drives one ! I could care
    less about Infinity, Bmw, MB
    etc. I can BUY any car I want!
    And don't care what anybody sez
    about MY choice !
    Wife has to drive it !.........LOL
  • incontrolincontrol Posts: 12
    Well, after much research, took delivery of my onyx blue, oatmeal interior DTS last Monday. And what a vehicle it is! Smooth, sleek, powerful are some of the adjectives that come to mind. The more I drive it, the more I love it! It is everything I hoped for, and more. HOWEVER, I will exercise my right to bitchin' by asking the following question: Those yellow warning stickers on the sun-visors, what's up with that?!? You can't remove them, and they look like hell. On my '99 Z28 they just peeled off, thank goodness! So what have YOU done about them? Otherwise, the DTS is the most!
  • oldsman01oldsman01 Posts: 1,203
    I gave up on the CTS thread over a month ago for the very same reason. Rather than it be a discussion forum for the CTS and some mention of the it's competitors, it became a domestic versus import debate. I too would like to here from some actual CTS owners or those who have driven the car.

incontrol, I'm jealous! Your DTS sounds beautiful. As for those ridiculous stickers, my Intrigue has them and they are an eyesore. Seems the US government requires those be a certain size and of a color that they are VERY noticeable. I just wonder how we ever survivied all those years before big brother told us we had to have air bag warning labels:)