Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cadillac DeVille

Comments

• tanyaktanyak Posts: 1
    I have a 93 deville and its having issues whenever the service engine light is on (not the service vehical light)it itels at like 3000RPMs and the spedometer stops working and it wont shift into gear or out of gear, but once that light shuts off it runs fine. i replaced the transmission and the TPS. WHATS WRONG WITH MY BABY
  • sls002sls002 Posts: 2,788
    A Cadillac service department (or perhaps others) should be able to determine why the service engine light is turned on. The computer is supposed to store this information.
  • bremertongbremertong Posts: 436
    I had mentioned a while back that I was considering a second car as a backup and change of driving experience for my 2004 Cadillac Deville.
    The local Ford dealership had a 2005 Mercury Sable LS with only a little over 1600
    miles on it and nicely equipped with CD changer, wood and leather steering wheel, Silver mettalic paint, chrome wheels, upgraded stereo system, leather seats and a few other options. The car had been bought by someone who after driving it a very short time decided they wanted a Lincoln Town Car. I test drove the car along with a Mercury Grand Marque 2005 LS with 17,000 miles on it. The Grand Marque while having less power drove a lot like my Cadillac. I choose the Mercury for the very low miles and many nice options,
    nice Duratec V6 engine and the fact that while a little bit of a squeeze fits in my two car garage with the Deville. The Grand Marque would have really been a squeeze for garage space. Price for The Sable was around half of the original selling price.

The Mercury has the cruise buttons on the steering wheel
    just as the Deville, the BIG difference is they work as I expect they should!

So far am enjoying both cars, will probably use the Mercury in rainy weather as it is a smaller car and easier to wash than the larger Deville. Many thanks to all at this conference that gave their opinions when I was considering this second car purchase.
  • geo9geo9 Posts: 739
    Congrats !!!!!!!!!! Its always fun to have more than 1
    vehicle to play with ! I love choices !!!!!!!!!!!!

I am hoping for the weather to break here in NY so I
    can get the GTO and Triumph outta the barn and into
    rotation !!!!!!

Oh yea......the lawn tractor too.........ugh! :cry:
  • a2715mta2715mt Posts: 2
    Hi,
    I have a 97 Devale Cadillac.
    It has been stopped for no reason when I was driving normally. One time it was even on the high way. I had restart the engine.
    I took it to the dealer and they could not find anything recorded in the computer. So they could not find anything wrong.
    It had happend 4 to 5 times recently.

Does anyone know what could be the reason?

Thanks a lot!
    Now that you have a second car, there should be no difficulty in leaving your Cadillac with the dealer to have all of the problems fixed.

If your Deville's cruise control really is not working right, you should be able to demonstrate this to your service manager. Both of you need to take whatever time is needed to prove that there really is a malfunction. As I have stated before, my Cadillac's cruise control works perfectly.
    A27..........Have you checked for any codes????
    The engine will still crank?
    If no codes then my guess would be the crankshaft
    position sensor(s). Cheap and easy to replace......
    I have taken the Deville to a second Cadillac Dealership.
    One of the senior mechanics took the car out and said it was functioning as it should. While out on my test drives with the two Ford products, Sable (which I bought) and the
    Grand Marque I asked the Ford dealership salesman about the difference in cruise response, his reply was that Ford
    builds better cruise control systems than GM. That would given the source sound like Ford Company sales talk but given the fact that this particular salesman is highly regarded as honest and has been at the same dealership for close to twenty years, He has his reputation at stake when he makes such a statement even if he is just expressing an opinion. I also think he is speaking from his personal experience and those of his customers.
    I suspect that the some of the Devilles have more efficient cruise systems than others (yours being an example). The cruise (my Deville) works well enough that I don't wish to spend any more time on it and the fact that four highly trained mechanics at two dealerships claim the functioning is normal tells me to enjoy it as it is. Probably needs a tweak somewhere in the system, I doubt that leaving it at the dealership would change the outcome.
    Since the cruise in every other vehicle has responded as it does in the Mercury I at least feel that the problem is not with me but in the system. You seem to be very knowledgeable about GM, do you now or have you ever worked for them? Just curious, thank you.
    Me NO???????? Just a car/bike freak drag racing nut from youth with the ability to spin a wrench on just about anything thats gas powered....................

I still think our cruise control problem is fumbling
    with those tiny buttons at speed !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    My cruise control on the "stalk" in my other GM cars
    work flawlessly. So its gotta be ME !!!!!!!!!!! :sick:
  • 04cad04cad Posts: 131
    Well we had the tires rotated awhile back and the brake pulsation has returned. I may go with the semi metallic instead of the ceramic to see it that changes anything. Michelins have 43,000 miles on them and look great except for the edges which are rounded off a bit. May replace tires and brakes prior to vacation to be on safe side. How many of you are having brake pulsation problems on your 2004 Devilles? Bob
    I am now retired. I did work for over 30 years as a research scientist at an engineering college.
    Having used both systems (Mercury and Deville) I don't think it's us, The Sable has the buttons on the steering wheel and and they respond almost instantly when pressed.
    The Deville is a little less responsive but works and having had it checked several times am satisfied to use as is. Both cars are fun to drive, no question that the Deville is my number one but the Sable considering price, options and performance is a strong second car. Having more than one vehicle yourself you can understand the fun of driving something different just for the fun of it!
  • a2715mta2715mt Posts: 2
    geo9,
    My engine still will start. I just needed to change back to parking shift before I restarted it.
    "A27..........Have you checked for any codes???? "
    ---How do I check codes?
    -- if no codes then how do I change position sensor(s)?
    Please advise.

:-))))
    I am not sure what your current complaint is about the cruise control. Back in August of 2004 your complaint was that the cruise control would not "set" at the speed that you engaged the cruise control, but would "settle in" at a lower speed, usually 3 to 5 MPH lower than the engagement speed. Now that is definitly not the way the cruise control should work.

Now you seem to be complaining about "efficiency", whatever that means regarding cruise control, and responsiveness. When the "cruise" light appears on the dashboard has nothing to do with when the cruise is set. My cruise control is engaged or set when the set button is pushed, but the computer may get around to setting the light after a few moments.

The question(s) I have is: is your cruise still "setting" at a lower speed than you engage it at? (OR) #2: is the lower speed something that you notice after some period of time has elapsed after engaging the cruise control?
  • vic8vic8 Posts: 13
    Can anyone tell me ,how to change and get to the four spark plug wires on the back side of the engine.The front four look to be simple.1997 Caddy Deville
  • bolivarbolivar Posts: 2,316
    Never done it. But some people says it helps if you remove the coil packs that are back there.
  • dispencer1dispencer1 Posts: 489
    Any cruise control is better than no cruise control at all. My Cadillac seems to lock on one or two miles off occasionally. Sometimes it is dead on. When it isn't I just boost it up to the desired speed with the resume button. It is hardly worth messing with taking the car to dealer after dealer and fiddling with the cruise control unless it doesn't work at all or is wildly off. The coffee isn't good enough at the local Cadillac dealer to make me want to hang out there.
    I agree with you on this issue. The only reason I had it checked the fourth time was the car was in to check for an oil leak and being at a second dealership I decided to let them look at the issue once more. As you mention, if the system were to fail completely than of course I would take it in again. The rocker buttons may be the design flaw in this model. The buttons in my second car (2005 Mercury Sable LS) are flat and seem to respond much better. I am at his point satisfied to put the matter to rest.
    I will repeat that my cruise control buttons, located on the steering wheel, work fine. If the driver is unable to push the set button at the speed that he wants to cruise at, that is not the cruise controls fault.

I will have to say that the ergonomics of where the buttons are located make it very easy to accidently push the buttons by mistake, but this is a design problem and replacing buttons won't fix the driver who is unable to use them.
    THERE YOU GO GETTING PERSONAL AGAIN! Rahter than discussing the product and performance.
    that the steering wheel buttons are located such that they are easy to push unintentionally. This does not mean that the system does not work well. However, it may not be easy for some to use properly. Post # 2114 is probably right.
    You are right - it is easy to push the wrong buttons -I kind of liked the cruise control on the stalk. It didn't interfere with the stereo buttons.
    I've asked this question before. Does anyone know of any major changes to the DTS in the near future (2008-9 for instance)?
    The 2006 still kept the old 2000 body. Nothing wrong with it but I wondered if Cadillac had any plans to do a completely new DTS.
    This is what I know: the new DTS is sharing with the new Lucerne. Both have the same basic body. The wheelbase on the new DTS is slightly longer than last years DeVille, so the body has been updated or re-engineered. However, the body is basically the 1995 Aurora body design.

They are working on a zeta platform, which will be the platform for the Camaro and GTO. There will also be some RWD sedans based on that platform. Rumor has it that there will be a Chevy, probably replacing the current Impala. Buick will probably get a RWD sedan, which will replace the Lucerne I think, or the LaCrosse. However, the LaCrosse is probably going to be replaced with an epsilon-2 (next generation epsilon) platform, so the RWD Buick will probably replace the Lucerne.

So, if the Lucerne drops the FWD DTS platform, then what will Cadillac do? My guess is that they could build a longer wheelbase sigma platform DTS. That car would be a longer, bigger STS, with a bigger price tag. I think putting the DTS on a platform shared with Chevy is not a good plan. The current FWD DTS/Lucerne will probably see production at least through the 2008 model year.
  • I need space and want some comfort along with it. I'm seriously considering an '03-'05 DeVille for my <$30k investment. Could I get some opinions on the pros/cons of these vehicles.

One specific detail...I have a tough time getting comfortable in many vehicles. I'm 6'5" tall. I usually prefer good quality split-bench type seats even to high end bucket seats. (I like to have space to stretch my long legs off to the side on occasion.)

I'd also consider opinions regarding other options within this price range.

Thanks.
    I own a 2004 Deville and am quite satisfied with it. Recently bought a second car and among the ones I considered that you might consider (taking your height in to account and need for a big comfortable car) along with Deville are
    Lincoln Town Car, probably could find a 2005 for under $30k. Also consider the Ford Crown Victoria and Mercury Grand Marque which you could get for for under $30k and perhaps new. The Crown Victoria and Grand Marque are the best large sedan values on the market IMO. Best wishes and let us know what you decide.
  • 04cad04cad Posts: 131
    Hi if you want to get a buy,,, look at your local Cadillac dealers for 2005 program cars with less than 20,000 miles with a four year 50,000 mile factory warranty asking around $25,000 dollars. I have one and am looking to trade for another soon. With the balance of the warranty you can be sure you are taken care of in the unlikely event a major problem occurs. Also the 2006 program cars are starting to show up on lots too. Bob
    AMEN to that Bob ! Around my area of Syracuse NY
    05 DeVilles (ex-rentals) with around 25 k miles are
    being advertised at $23,999 at several dealers!!!!!!!!!!!
    A sweet Caddy for the price of a used v-6 cam/cord
    appliance mobile............

I note that CTS used prices are running strong at
    $23k and up for 04 models................

Heck, another local mega dealer has 05 Impalas (ex-rentals)
    at $10,995
  • I am using a crashed 1992 Sedan DeVille as a motor donor. The alternator has a 3 wire plug going to a coil/relay unit in the passenger side front fender (in front of the wheel). Does anyone know what this is for? I've purchased a Haynes manual & they don't speak of it. :confuse: