Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cadillac DeVille

Comments

• imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,054
    What armrest problem? Ihave had a 1993 and 1998 LeSabre and had no problem with the cupholders. It was kind of neat that they could collapse and fold inside the armrest so you didn't have the cupholder sticking out.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    "Actually every year something standard seems to go. The '02 Deville had the electrochromatic side mirror along with the power seat belt height adjustment. The mirror became an option and the seat belt height adjustment became fixed. The base radio now only has a CD slot, the cassette is gone except for the Bose radio. My '03 has both."

Decontenting is a common thing for Detroit to do as a model ages - it holds the cost down, and if demand for particular feature isn't strong, and they can save $5 by getting rid of it, they do. That's why I like to buy the second year of any new car model. The first year, they have burn in troubles - the second year, they usually have the glitches out, but haven't started stripping the car of the originally designed features yet.
  • bremertongbremertong Posts: 436
    Thanks nvbanker, as I said previous posts in this conference my 2004 deleted cup holders in center armrest, automatic emergency brake release, automatic trunk lock, automatic fuel door release on remote entry, and heated front seats. My previous car was a 98 De Ville. I owned a 1997 Chrysler LHS before that and almost all items were standard except sun/moon roof and console floor shifter. From what I understand Chrysler is sticking to making most options standard in the new 300C.

I enjoyed my 98 Cadillac very much but had the opportunity to update
    6 model years and took it. The 2004 is a bit more agile, a bit more quiet on the road and does have some options such as onstar and compass that the 98 did not have.
  • sls002sls002 Posts: 2,788
    In model year 2000 Cadillac moved the Deville onto the stiff FWD body platform that the 1995 Aurora/Riviera introduced. This is where the additional quietness and handling come from.
  • dispencer1dispencer1 Posts: 489
    My 1994 and 1997 LeSabre front armrest continually broke and tilted forward. The dealer replaced the mechanism several times. The thing was bolted between the seats and the plastic pieces that kept it straight constantly broke. Anyway, glad yours held up. The folding cup holders also tilted with the armrest. The ones on the 2000 were much improved.
    I agree with you totally. I wanted a 2002, not a 2003, but I wasn't ready to buy till January of this year and most of the 2002's I looked at were ex-rental cars with delivery dates in 2001 so I would have lost more than a year of warranty for a certified '02. I ended up with a 2003 ( originally delivered in November 2002) but I'll follow your advice in the future. I plan to get a 2006 in the spring of 2007 but I'll have to see what changes they actually make in the 2006. So far it looks like just the interior and perhaps some front end changes. I may get a 2007 in the fall of 2007 . Depends how much mileage I put on the 2003. I'm not keeping it past the 6 year 100k warranty. The 2008 will be all new but I won't get one till the 2nd year as per your advice. (I'll probably get a 2009 in the spring of 2010)
  • boomer1bboomer1b Posts: 348
    I kept my 90 & 96 til waay past the warranty and ran them to 100k plus miles. Only a few minor problems along the way.

Now my trucks are a different story......
    Snowplowing, heavy towing and hauling sure breaks $pendy parts !!!!!
    Them... I usually dump in 3 years for another new one !!!!!

Check out gmoutlet.com for the lowest prices I have found for a GMPP warranty.
    Forget those 3rd party ones!
    Yes indeed, beware! You get what you pay for, but not necessarily what you deserve with a cheap warranty.
    The GMPP is far better than aftermarket 3rd party warranties. It is nice to know that if and when you break down you get towed to a GM dealer and they simply fix what's wrong. You don't have to call around for estimates and get permission from somebody for a repair. With a certified Cadillac you get a 6 year 100k 0 deductible warranty dated from when the car first went into service. This is far better than the other GM "certified" cars and since this warranty would cost more than $2,000 if you simply bought one from a GM dealer before your factory 48/50,000 expired it is a good deal. The dealer I use in Ft. Worth will certify its used Cadillacs for $1,000. This includes the warranty and 4 new Michelin original equipment tires. This is an incredibly good deal. Anyway the GMPP is the way to go.
    I didn't realize that the cup holders were under the arm rest in the section below it, didn't realize that section opened but still thought it strange that there would be no cup holders, on doing some basic exploration found them. Very nice and better placed than in my 98 De Ville. Was not all that important to me in that I never used them in my previous car. I miss the auto emergency brake release and the auto trunk lock more than the issue of the cup holders.

Some not so good news: The cruise control on this car (2004) can only be described as erratic, the green cruise light come on indicating cruise engaged and then the vehicle looses three to five mile an hour before stabilizing speed. The 98 Cruise control was much more stable in that it stabilized at within
    one MPH of message coming on and was easier to read on the dashboard.
    This car just does not seem to have as much power as the 98 especially when floored for two lane passing or for entering highway on ramps.
    I use premium fuel even though not required but that doesn't seem to have helped any.
    I have an appointment at the dealership to address the cruise issue and will also ask about a check for horsepower and torque if such a test is available.
    I saw a Chrysler 300C parked nearby the other day, awesome looking car and at a price of around $ 40,000 fully loaded it is an amazing value. This considering the 340 horsepower and 390 pounds of torque.
    I was happy to get my 2004 De Ville but if things don't work out I would strongly consider a Chrysler 300C as my next car. The biggest issue is newness on the market and no reliability history to go on.
    Found those cup holders huh ? Much more stable than the armrest ones ! How about the storage bin right behind them ?

My cruise loses a few MPH also. I thinks its the PIA steering wheel controls. Fumbling around trying to push the right one!
    I like the cruise button in the turn stalk like my other GM vehicles !

Like I posted my 03 seems no faster than the 96 !
    Prob. cause is milder camshafts in the 04 than your 98. Thats why we can run reg. gas instead of prem.

Power curves etc. can be found here http://www.gmpowertrain.com
    Thanks for the information. Took car to dealer Friday. The recommendation was to change the cruise module. They must have been right in that on the way home the cruise failed to engage several times after pushing the cruise button. Only after I shut down the engine and re started did the cruise work again. dealership is ordering the cruise module and hopefully within a week to ten days problem will be resolved.
    The power issue seems to be a variable one in that I had the chance to floor accelerator from a stopped position at a traffic light and car went like a rocket to the speed limit, leaving every one else in the dust. Sometimes the transmission appears not to downshift when floored so still not certain about power issue.
    I have not owned this car long enough to make a reliable overall comparison with it and the 98.
    I never had any problems with the cruise control in the 98, only replaced item in the 98 was a noisy alternator, thought to be a defective bearing. I will look for the storage area behind the cup holders, in the 2004, thanks for the tip.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,054
    There was mention in a different discussion about Bonnevilles that there was more power from a dead stop. The conclusion was that there's a difference in the computer control for purpose of pollution control; the engine was not being allowed to produce as much power when floored while already moving. Dead stop start got full gas supply.

Are the computers still adapting to driving style? I remember someone saying you can clear the learned patterns from the computer by disconnecting the main fuse to the Electronic Control Module for a few minutes. Then the computer defaults and started learning how you drive the car, gently or always hot-rodding it. That might change the downshifting behavior until it relearns that you usually drive gently.
    Brem......Right behind the cupholders..Lift up on the front of the bottom seat cushion (between the seats...Under the center armrest). There is a bin for CDs and stuff.

FUNNY.....I found the cupholders right off !!!!
    Kids found the storage bin !....DOH!!!!!
    I was more concerned setting the BOSE stereo controls ! My 96 had the crummy factory am-fm with the changer in the trunk!
    Of course the kids reprogramed it to radio disney and hip-hop !...LOL

IM.......Somebody posted about throttle "tip-in" on certain vehicles. Seems to me these new OHC engines are all pigs untill the RPMs are up there !
    "I would strongly consider a Chrysler 300C as my next car. The biggest issue is newness on the market and no reliability history to go on."

Hmmmmm, ya might wanna check the Chrysler 300C problems board about that reliability history so far. Looks pretty dismal at this point. Hopefully it will improve.
    They are neat RWD cars !
    I have been lurking in those forums and only note the alignment issues as major problems.

Heck, Check out the armada/titan threads.....
    Everything from flimsy sheetmetal, cheap interior plastic, pathetic stereo, power window woes, steering problems big time in the armada, creaky noisy interiors............
    100 day plus supply sitting on the lots !

My local dealer has a waiting list for Hemi powered 300s !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Only 4 v-6s on the lot !

Me thinks Mopar has a hit on their hands like Caddy has with the CTS !
    it's a disaster, but he wasn't considering one, or I'd have warned him about that one too.
    I found the lower storage bin after it was mentioned there was one. At first I thought the center section was a support for the arm rest. It was a pleasant surprise to find the cup holders and lower storage bin. My attention has been more on driving the car and getting performance issues resolved. Nice to be finding some of the small comforts that should be included with a car in this price category.
    And it's a shame you have performance issues to resolve in a car that expensive.
    Any DOHC engine is a PIG at low RPMs.

Look at the Ford trucks with the 4.6. That DOHC? motor is a pig compared to the older ford v-8s.

It kills me why people carry on about how wonderful they are and pushrod motors are a no-no!

Ya got to figure a 04 N-star has got to have lower compression and a milder cam than a 98 N-star. The reason.......NOW you can use regular fuel instead of premium.

I had my hot rod years with 350/400,454/396 GMs, 440/383 mopars.

I KNOW raw and refined power.