Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cadillac DeVille

Comments

• bolivarbolivar Posts: 2,316
    I gave it a SWAG!
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,032
    Thanks! I gave you a thumbs up. :shades:

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• I have a 1989 deville, the radiator fan stays on all the time even when the key is off until the battery dies, just started doing it out off nowhere. Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks
  • toneygtoneyg Posts: 19
    Your problem could be a bad relay, or your are grounding out to make the circuit complete. But more than likely it is your relay
    Your problem could be a bad relay, or your are grounding out to make the circuit complete. But more than likely it is your relay
  • chip11chip11 Posts: 3
    1992 Cad Deville 99Kmiles runs great 19 per gal. It has a problem with stalling making right hand turns when the fuel tank gets to 5 gals or less..
    It it possible that the fuel pump is on the right side and the turn depletes the gas.
    Has anyone else experienced this issue.
    I don't know if this is related - once in a blue moon the ignition will not work.
    It sets a few minutes and then it will engage.

Anyone ever had this problem ????- The fuel pump issue should be a common one if my theory is correct. Help from anyone - Please
    Yes, the fuel problem is a known problem with Caddies of about this age. Exact symptoms, when low on gas, it stalls. The problem is the tank has metal baffles, which are just partial metal partitions glued or tack welded to the bottom of the tank. When one breaks loose, it moves over and jams up the fuel intake when the level is low. I think the tank can be opened up and reglue the baffle down or completely pull it out. But, of course, the tank has to be dropped. A loose baffle beating around on the fuel pump and fuel level sensor may cause one or both to also fail. If I were to pay someone the labor charge to drop the fuel tank, I would go ahead and pay the $250 or so and replace the fuel pump and gauge level float assembly. At this milage, they are both nearing the end of their life.

Ignition may be as simple as the resistance 'pellet' in the key is dirty. Clean it with electrical cleaner, or buy a new key. The dealer can use your VIN or a locksmith can use a multimeter to get the pellet's resistance to be used in a new key. Or, the ignition switch itself is getting worn and/or dirty inside. I'm not sure if you should squirt electrical cleaner inside the key cylinder or not. And, there are wires that run down the steering column which are part of the secutiy system. These wires are very small, and with age can break apart. This might be starting to fail, and the security system cannot 'read' the key. You need a good mechanic with experience in working on ignition and steering column, if the problem is something more than a dirty key.
  • I have a 83 deville and my issue is after about a half hour of running it dies out. it just starting happen to me yesterday and it was the longest distance i drove it since it was bought.. My thought was a fuel pump but i spoke to a cadillac mechanic today and he told me it sounds like a sensor. Does any one have any clue on what this could be and where to locate the correct sensor under the hood?
  • barleybarley Posts: 2
    hi i have a 2001 deville when it get cooled out the rear end rides hard is it in the air system or shocks or what does anyone know
    Well, the suspension in the back is the air shocks, the springs, and the torsion bar. I think the only one of these that the temp could effect is the air shocks.

When this happens, is the rear end low?
  • barleybarley Posts: 2
    thanks for writing me back thats what i thought it was was the air shocks , no the ride height is the the same it does not sit low i am going to pull it into the garage and pull the tires off and see is there and thing i can lube or a grease fittings or anything i can try with the shocks i thought there might be condensation in it
  • :cry: :confuse: I HAVE A 92' CADILLAC DEVILLE, I LET MY CAR SIT WITH NO GAS FOR ABOUT A MONTH MY TAGS WERE OUT AND HAD NO FUNDS TO REPLACE THEM RIGHT AWAY. I WENT TO TURN MY CAR ON OF COURSE AFTER I PUT $40 OF GAS IN IT, AND IT STILL WOULDNT TURN OVER. SO I REPLACED THE FUEL PUMP, FUEL FILTER, SPARK PLUGS & WIRES, STARTER, BATTERY AND I THINK THATS JUST ABOUT IT. THE [non-permissible content removed] STILL DOESNT START. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP? I'VE ALSO BEEN TOLD IT COULD BE A RELAY FUEL PUMP OR A POWERTRAIN MODULE? WHATEVER THAT IS!! PLEASE SOMEONE HELP THIS IS MY ONLY TRANSPORTATION TO AND FROM WORK!

-SIGN CADILLAC GIRL :sick: :sick:
  • 04cad04cad Posts: 131
    I am not sure about your model, but some GM cars had a vent on the top of the engine that had to be depressed while the engine was cranked over if you ever ran it totally out of gas. This allowed air to escape the lines and fill with gas. You might check your owner's manual or do an online search for 1992 Cadillac engine gas priming to see if anything comes up. Running the newer vehicles completely out of gas is never a good idea as it will usually fry the fuel pump within a few months of doing so. Good luck!
  • that is what i think as well
    Does anyone know EXACTLY how to do this?

Mainly - I think the dash trim piece, a U shaped piece around both sides and bottom has to be removed. I've got the 8 torx screws out of the glove box, and it still holds at the bottom.

Is this dash piece a push on/pull off piece? If so, it must take a lot of pulling, because I've pulled some and it doesn't budge. Do I just need to pry it off or pull with great force?
    Never mind. I figgered it out.

The dash piece has to be pulled off. Actually put my dandelion digger in there aganist the clip and twisted to get it loose. Clips at tops, bottom, and across the bottom.
  • hdunnhdunn Posts: 1
    how hard is it to put a belt on a 90 cadillac
  • thinking of buying a 2000 dts with 131k what u think ?
  • i hvae a 1999 deville w/ a northstar engine i have crack in my head gasket.shop says theres no way to relace the gasket without replacing the engine.(due to damaging the bolt threads in the block any suggestions
    You can replace the head gasket with out damaging the engine block. You have to buy new head bolts from the dealer. DO NOT RE-USE YOUR OLD HEAD BOLTS, THEY WILL NOT TORQUE UP AND HOLD TO THE SPECS.... This shop you took it to was just trying to stick it to you with out any lube. there has not been to my vast knowledge of mechanics and engines of any motor built or designed that can not be repaired or rebuilt, they all can you just have to buy certain dealer items, such as bolts. Don't forget to have the heads checked and milled or resurfaced, and you have to do both at the same time or you will confuse the computer, due to differences in compression between the two sides of the engines.
    Well, I think you have quite a bit wrong here.

If he truly has blown head gaskets on a Northstar, there is more to it than replacing the gaskets and using new head bolts.

He will have to have the motor pulled. This is the only way to make the following repair because you cannot reach the rear head to do this.

The heads have to be pulled. (If you do this, do both heads.) Just unscrewing the head bolts will many times damage more of the bolts, stripping the alumium threads. Then the motor has to be 'Timeserted'. This is a package which has a metal jig (which can be reused, shops that have done this before will already have this) which is bolted to the motor and all the bolt holes are drilled out. Then threads are re-tapped into the holes. Then a special Timesert insert is screwed in. Then the head can be put back on with a new gasket and new bolts, which screw into the new insert. The heads themselves usually are fine, they are almost bulletproof, there is no milling needed. Then the motor can be put back in.

This is usually around a $3,000 job. The main part is labor. Pulling the motor (and transmission together), drilling, tapping, assembly and then putting the motor back into the car. Parts are only something like $500-$750 or so, including a Timesert kit and the needed gaskets, etc.

When you are looking at a $6,000 car (1999 Deville), you really need to think about putting $3,000 into it. A lot of beautiful Cadillacs are scrapped because of the cost of a head job.
  • i have a 87 sedan deville that wont start .it just stoped one day .it has 90,000 miles 4.1 engine, has spark.its getting fuel. local dealer told me its proly the cam shaft .i just got the vehicle so no real history .i have tried moving the timing around i can get it to where it sounds like its going to start but doesnt. any one have a idea about this ?
  • walterm3walterm3 Posts: 8
    My DTS is approaching 100,000 miles - time for tune up. What else should I expect or need other than engine tune up? Do the electronic shocks wear out like the older shocks/struts?
    What are you expecting to service? What does your owner's manual say?

If it were mine, I would do:
    -Plugs
    -Plug wires (may not have these, may be coil-on-plug)
    -Coolant
    -Drain transmission fluid (don't flush. But be sure whoever does this knows there is a second plug after you pull the pan that need to be pulled.)
  • walterm3walterm3 Posts: 8
    Perhaps I should have been more spcific - What can I expect the Cadillac Service Manager to suggest needs to be done at 100,000 miles. Again- are shocks/struts on the agenda?
    He may suggest that any liquid near the car, including your Slushy drink in the cup holder be changed.

Rotate the air in the tires.

The liquid change should include the turn signal fluid.

Grease the muffler bearings.

What's so hard about looking at the service items in the owner's manual for the 100,000 service?

The list I previously gave should cover it.

I can't say much about the struts. Is the car banging when going over bumps? If so, there my be a need for struts, or other suspension components, such as sway bar linkages. If the struts are electronically controlled, there will be sensor in there that tell the computer if they are working ok. If they are not, there will be a check engine light turned on and/or a message displayed in your Display Information Condition (DIC) on your dash.
  • brendansbrendans Posts: 1
    99 Caddy Deville. the trunk release and fuel door release have stopped working, no clicking noise either. remote key buttons won't open them either. doors do open with remote. I've replaced the radio/phone and convenc fuses in the trunk but it didn't help. could it be another fuse ? or something else?
    brendans
    Does your have the 'Valet' button in the edge of the glove box?

If so, you may have pushed this. It disables opening the trunk.
  • 2008200820082008 Posts: 1
    I own a 98 caddy deville my headlights come on by themselves only in daytime when I put the car in gear only and at night they dont come at all and my dash says headlights suggested does any one no whats my problem
  • sls002sls002 Posts: 2,788
    I think that the in the daytime you see the daylight running lights. Are you sure that the automatic headlights on switch is turned on? If it is then it has failed.