Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cadillac DeVille

Comments

• On 2000 Deville where is coolant sensor located? Thanks.
  • I have just acquired a 1997 Cadillac DeVille 4Dr. that was in high water due to Hurricane Ike. The water got up over the bench part of the seats. I would like to know what all I would need to do to it so I will not harm it by driving it.

I have changed the oil and the Trans. fluid doesn't seem to have any water. The power seats and windows do not work but it seems that everything else works O.K.

Can someone suggest what all I should look for?
  • bolivarbolivar Posts: 2,316
    In another forum a guy made a long series of posts about him reviving a 2001 Deville that had taken water. And, it was fresh water. You didn't say, but if it was salt water, I think your problem would be magnified a lot.

Anyway, this guy took a 2001 Deville. After starting on it, he then bought a wrecked 2000 Deville just for parts to transfer to his 'water' car. He posted lots of pictures. He worked on this car for many months, I think at least 6 or more. He completely dis-assembled the interior, removing seats, carpets, the dash, steering column. I won't go into what it was that he did to the motor and tranny, but it was much more than one oil change. I think he put like 5 or more flushes and refills of the tranny fluid.

Things like alternator, power steering pump, etc were replaced. Basically if it was electronic, it had a large chance of not coming back to life. You've got sensors on the brake system for ABS, an ABS pump in the brake fluid system, etc, etc. You have modules in the doors for the electric windows, window motors, auto up, memory seats. Under the seats are power motors for the seats and a box driving the air bags. Every sensor in any part of the car could have water in it. You have dozens of connections in the electric system with each one having the possibility of future problems from the mud and corrosion.

After all this work, he still was getting check engine lights and could not get it inspected. I don't remember exactly what he did, but he had to do something snaky to get it titled and licensed.

If you have more than $500 in a 97 Deville that was under water, I think you have a problem. Nice running versions of this car should be able to be bought for four thousand dollars. I think a car like this should be scrapped for body parts. If the motor or tranny sits for any time at all with water in it (like 4 weeks), I would fear for the effects of rust.
  • We have replaced the alternator - been tested twice. We have replaced the battery - tested and works. The line that runs from the battery to the alternator has been replaced and works. Now, here is the problem. The car will run for a little while and then dies, when you turn the car off it will not start without being jumped. (That is why we replaced the alternator) Has anyone had this problem - or might want to give me some advice on where to start. It has to be electrical - could something be shorting it out. More info - the heater will stop and start again......thanks for any help anyone can give.
    Well, it makes no sense that the car will stall, then not start from the battery, if the battery is spinning the starter smartly. But will start with a jump.

If what you are saying is the car won't start after stalling, but will start later, that is a different thing. The starter might be bad - getting 'heat soaked' and then it will not start the car when it is hot. Letting the starter cool down, it then works.

A friend had a Cadillac of about this age that had a failure of the electrical connecter that goes thru the firewall into the inside of the car. It stalled and then was generally dead until they found where the problem was.

I would also look at both battery cables, and the connections where they screw on - the block for the ground, and the starter for the positive should be clean and tight. If there is corrision, the cables could be eaten up inside the rubber insulation.

Intermittent electrical problems are always difficult to find. Good luck.
  • Once the car dies - it is dead!! I don't think it is the starter as it will turn over however I get the click!! I will check the the electrical connector thru the firewall. I will let you guys know how that goes. If anyone else had anything they can think of - please keep me in mind!!
  • I recently had the same problem.... im guessing ur voltage gauge is reading low also as if the battery is not getting a charge well on my vehicle 2 fuses had blown which are alternator output voltage fuses i replaced both and it seemed to fix the problem. as soon as i replaced one of the fuses my voltage was back up on my gauge.im not sure exactly if u have the same setup but... its somthing to look into.
  • I have a 1995 Sadan Deville. The A/C compressor does engage but does not blow . When I have the A/C on, I can feel cold air seeping from the vents. Any Ideas on what it could be? Also the air ride light keeps comming on telling me that it needs service. Can I disconnect this and install regular HD shocks on the car?
  • I have recently bought a 99 deville and within a couple of weeks the car overheated and the dealership had to replace head gaskets and bolts. Now the car idles bad when first started then seems to run fine after fifteen minutes or so. The check coolant level light has also came on twice in the last two weeks causing me to have to put more coolant in. i am hoping that my gaskets are not going out again and am hoping it could be something alot cheaper to fix.
  • I am just wondering if you were able to get the front door panels off?
    I own a 2000, and i can't figure it out.
  • Need to replace "Select" radio station modual on steering wheel. Or Not.
    Issue- select station- up, and down functions properly.
    Modual doen not light up when lights are engaged.
    How do I disassemble wheel for replacement?
    Where do I locate part (modual)?
    Dealer only?
    Discribe replacement process-am mechanically inclined (LOL)? :shades:
  • anagnianagni Posts: 2
    I READ SOME OF YOUR REPLIES AND WAS WONDERING WHERE IN FLORIDA DID YOU PURCHASE YOU DE VILLE??/ I LIVE IN DAYTONA BEACH.ALSO, I'M LOOKING TO BUY A 2002 DEVILLE DHS WITH 70.000 MILES,AND WAS WONDERING WHAT THE GOLD PACKAGE IS WORTH. THE CAR HAS A CARRIAGE TOP, SPOILER, VOGUE TIRES AND GRILL THAT START WITH THE LETTER B. THEY WERE AT $10,000 NOW THERE AT 9.000,ITS A PRIVATE DEAL. THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR HELP
  • bremertongbremertong Posts: 436
    I had the chance to buy a 2002 Deville with 29,000 miles for over 80% below the when new price. I have a two car garage and have a DTS and Lincoln Town Car parked in it.

I previously had my Devilles garaged and wondered how much more wear and tear leaving the 2002 outside will take on the car. The climate here is very mild with temperatures going below freezing only about 40 days of the winter and almost never going below 20
    degrees at night. Our summers here are also mild with temperatures rarely going above 70 degrees.

The car was bought to drive in rainy weather and short errands. My expectation in buying the car and leaving it outside was that it will not take to much extra wear and tear given the climate described above.

If there are other Deville owners that have their cars parked outside it would be helpful to have tips on how to deal with leaving this car out in the elements or any extra maintenance tips to keep car at maximum performance.

All comments and suggestions appreciated.
  • albjerrygalbjerryg Posts: 1
    While driving my 2005 Deville the bell will go off and no Icons come up on the display. I have stopped the car closed all doors and checked the seat belt but it will just keep ringing until I stop and turn off the engine and turn it back on. It does not happen often but now and again. any ideas..Thanks Jerry
  • Let me start by saying I had a new torque converter and lockout solenoids replaced on my '01 deville to rectify the previous 0741 code. Approximately 8 months later, I noticed the tranny slamming into gear when accelerating from a stoplight, but only when the tranny was hot. The SES light has come on a couple of times, (0741 code), but at least 2 months apart. A new bulletin came out recently regarding such syptoms, and the shops are asked to inspect the valve bodies and fluid channels for hairline cracks, which are causing internal pressure drops at idle and therefore causing the torque converter to intermittantly disengage. Once you step on the gas, the pump is able to restore the pressure and bang it goes into gear. On the plus side, it isn't causing the clutches or torque converter to slip, so no internal damage is being done. But it sure is annoying as all get out.
  • Hello, I just bought a 02 deville DHS. Sunroof and interior lights did not work. Checked all fuses, under hood and under seat, all good. There was a non looking factory wire, one red one white. each with a larger 3 amp fuse one running to the mini fuse and the red running to the body. The white wire was attached to the fuse and the other end was disconnected. We gave it a try and hooked the white wire back up and it blew the sunroof fuse, replaced fuse but disconnected the wire. For some reason the sunroof works now and the interior lights, but my speedometer and rpm gauge and turn signals wont work and the info display gives incorrect readings when fuel is full. The temp and fuel are apparently still working. Cant figure it out. Thanks for any info
  • i have a 1997 caddi deville. with 68000 miles. the other day i drove about 20 miles to a different town to go shopping and when i came out the store i noticed my right headlight lens was missing i went to auto zone and they said that those lens aint never susposed to come off and to get a new assembly they wanted $199 for 1 i went on ebay and got 2 brand new headlight assembly for $147.70
    Wow, you are responding to a message 5 1/2 years old. I'm probably the only person that ever hangs around that long to read a message response that old.

Yea, I know, you can buy headlight modules on eBay much cheaper. If I remember, I think I just epoxyed the lens back in place, the one that was completely loose. I may have pried the other one off and epoxyed it back also.

That white 97 is long gone.

But the wife continued to bi*cH about wanting a Cadillac. So, we now have a 2005. And she is looking at a 2008..... I don't know what will ever make her happy??????
  • 02 Deville DHS,62,000 mileage: When new, 20 mpg local/26mpg highway. Now, 17mpg local \ 22mpg highway. Took car to three garages, including the dealer and the computer checks show no problems. What do I do next to get the mpg back to original??? Thanks
    My wild guess - ethenol in our gasoline. I have three cars. 2005 Cadillac, 2006 Ridgeline truck, 2007 Corvette.

Each car has dropped about 2mpg, highway and city milage, since our state went to ethenol in the gas.

Ethenol is a total failure, but it is totally political. And none of the media will give coverage to the problems with its usage. So, we are stuck with it.

Any 'savings' of gasoline is totally wiped out because of the reduced milage.
  • mike467mike467 Posts: 2
    Thanks for the response, I guess that the environment is more important than saving gas.
  • My problems with my car at first was my radio cutting out if i have on to much electrical stuff as in lights air conditioner, etc. then the anti lock light on my dash which wen it first comes on feel like its trying to lock my breaks up, I have also had my air conditioner get stuck on then a D shows up where the gas gauge is and air control is. now my car has a hard time starting up and wen i do turn it over it kills after running for a few seconds also i can be driving and the whole car will kill and after letting it sit for a while it will crank back up. also what is the inflatable restraint light for?

Does anyone know how to fix any of these problems or have any idea wat is causing them?
  • landralandra Posts: 2
    Do not purchase cars at Orlando Auto Brokers located at Orange Blossom Trail, Orlando...they sell cars with broken motor, transmission, breaks, among other essential parts...they stole from me $3,300 dollars and refuse to fix or exchange the auto's transmission, which I found out was completely damaged within a week from purchase. They did not offer payable guarantee at time of purchase. Pass this info around so business that commit fraud do not continue this doing.
  • chrisptown1chrisptown1 Posts: 41
    am looking @'05 Deville 51k miles from Cad. dealer. veh. had 2 owners 1 lease 1 private. is loaded with m/roof sat. radio coolled seats 16" chrome wheels.dealer asking $16.5. which is $2-3.5K over Edmunds, Kbb and Nade. In looking at postings on the forums i see very few if any 2005's being listed with problems. any thoughts i would be giving up '02 park av. 83k pretty much problem free right now. guess i've always wanted a Caddy.
    We've got a 2005 Deville. Bought it off a 3 year lease in 9/2007.

It's had a coolant leak in the 'crossover' pipe (now sure of this name, it's a solid connector on left side of the motor (actual rear of the motor) that moves coolant between the heads. Took 3 or 4 days to fix that.

The heat had never been right, but last year it was totally cold. This took 3 trips to repair. I think 3 actuator door motors and the complete dash control unit were replaced. It still doesn't heat like it should. Previous Devilles would start throwing heat in a few blocks - this one is slow to heat up.

One tire pressure monitor was bad, but I think this is because the car has one miss-matched wheel/tire on it - one from a salvage probably. Seems like there was something else, but don't remember.

Ah, pulled the file. Front impact sensor bad. Left outside mirror directional signal out, replaced and painted entire mirror (this was bad when we bought the car). Oh, looks like a previous pressure monitor was replaced. Loose switch on memory seats.

Cadillac history indicates before we bought it, it had a leaking water pump replaced, resurfaced all 4 disk and replaced front pads and put one new tire on it (driven low on air and ruined). I think this was done at dealership after they bought at auction and before we bought. I've had to replace a tire. I think whoever leased the car ignored tire pressures.

It had 37,000 when we bought it in 9/2007. Has about 53,000 now.

I consider this about average for a Cadillac. I have an extended ($2,000+) warranty on this car because Cadillacs scare me to death, especially the Northstar head gasket problems and general electronic complication problems. But the wife wants a Cadillac. I've got a little over 2 years and 22,000 miles or so left on the warranty. When it's out, the car will be sold.

Probably have to buy another for the wife, but I don't want to keep a Cadillac without a warranty.
    P.S. Yes, the $16.5 is high. A couple of days ago I look at the KBB prices of mine, seemed like it was abou $9,000 trade and $13,000 retail. I would think they would jump on an offer of $13-14,000 for this car. They probably don't have more than $9,000 in it, still giving them a lot of profit at the above numbers.

Offer $12,000 and buy an extended GMAC extended warranty (if available).
    Did my postings scare you totally away?