Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cadillac DeVille

Comments

• marsha7marsha7 Posts: 3,661
    I believe it is called something like "resonance frequency", which, I believe, is usually applied in the situation where a part of your car, often something in the dashboard, vibrates with an annoying sound, often at a certain speed, and often within only 1-3 mph differential...

Kinda like 32-35 mph, where many of us drive in the city...the dash may hum, vibrate, squeak, or whatever, and will not go away, but increase to 36 mph and it disappears...

I believe the same thing occurs with tire vibration, maybe perfect at 0-60, shimmy off the road 60-75, then smooth out at 76...or something like that...

Invariably, it always happens at the speed at which you spend most of your time...the Law of Murphy...:):):):)
  • cdoescdoes Posts: 2
    Im looking at buying a cadillac in the next few months, Ive always wanted one and need some tips. Basically with my financing i need to find a caddy thats a 2000 or newer, under 70k miles and around 15k. Is that gonna be possible? Ive seen some 01-02 devilles with around 50k miles for 12-14k. Also are they pretty realiable{I drive around 3k miles a month}.Ive been doing research and everything keeps telling me that once the northstar hits around 100-120k miles im going to have big problems.I dont mind a problem here and there but i dont want to be spending $500 every week on something{I went through with my old 97 camaro when it hit 100k miles, finally had to junk it} I presume gas mileage will be the same as what i drive now(01 camaro). Just looking for some general buying tips from some caddy experts
  • bolivarbolivar Posts: 2,316
    In my area, there are 2005 model Deville with 18,000 or so miles for $23,000. Base model with no additional options.

These are obviously cars previous used for rental.

But even a base Deville has a lot of things 'standard'.

My advice - buy one of these from a Cadillac dealer. Get it Cadillac 'Certified'. Don't fall for any other extended warranty. The Certified warrany will give essentially a new-car warranty for something like 6 years and 100,000 mile (from it's initial sale date).

3,000 miles/month x 12 months = 36,000 year. Wooo!!!
    2.5 years takes it to 90,000 miles + 18,000 initially = 108,000 and out of warranty.

So, drive it for 2.5 years, trade it on another one and don't worry about anything breaking, it would be covered.

You will be surprised at the milage. A big Deville at 70mph with A/C will give you somewhere between 26 and 30mpg. And it will run on 87octane.

I'm not going to go into problem areas much. The car is full of electronic, any of which can cause problems. Northstars are known for head gasket problems, which is a major repair ($3,000+)
  • cdoescdoes Posts: 2
    so i get what your saying, the extra $100 a month payment for a almost brand new one with a full warranty is worth the risk of having to shell out a few grand in repairs, Ill look into the those. Thank you
  • geo9geo9 Posts: 739
    Prices on a non certified 05 base Deville are about
    the same in my area of Syracuse NY.

You should also check out http://www.gmoutlet.com
    They are a GM dealer who sells official GMPP warranties
    on line at very reasonable prices.
    Avoid ANY aftermarket company stuff.

Add up the price difference between a certified and
    a non certified late model Caddy.
    Remember you still may buy a GMPP extended warranty
    while your GM car is still under the mfrs.factory
    warranty............
    My 03 DeVille is purring like a kitten and coming
    up on 30k miles. Except for a emission warranty
    recall (computer reflash) and a quirky cruise control
    (Just can't get used to all those little buttons).

Great all around car !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Happy Holidays to all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shades:
  • Thanks for your many helpful comments during the year. Its not the little buttons, this vintage of Devilles has some quirks in the cruise system, for some cars at least. I still get strange responses but as you suggested, not that big an issue, and yes they are fine cars at very competitive prices. I recently researched a Chrysler 300C and was surprised that Chrysler doesn't have its own version of Onstar. Love the big Hemi engines but not the MPG stats so am with Cadillac for the forseeable future.
    Good to hear from ya ! I too like the new 300C style
    sorta "gangsta" looking esp. those Magnums !

But some of the assembly and quality woes of those
    cars i see on these and other forums keeps me right
    behind the wheel of another Cadillac when the time comes.......
  • Yes I can understand your concern about build quality issues. Another factor to consider is fuel economy, Deville can get up to 30 MPG if driven with a light foot.
    I doubt the 300C would do much better than 25-27 at best.
    Am guessing that fuel prices are currently near the bottom of their range for the next year. The Deville as you know will run on regular, the 300C requires at least 89 octane I think. I owned a 97 LHS before my previous Deville and never had any problems over the three years of ownership,
    the Chrysler dealership also treated me far better than the Cadillac dealership has. My 2004 Deville now has a little over 28,000 miles so am in no hurry and the warranty runs until end of July 2007. I also purchased an extended warranty from Wynns up to 100,000 miles, 7 years and no deductible. In these circumstances am under no pressure to do anything. Might even consider the Chrysler for a second car.
  • I had my tires re balanced and spun the second week of December. Took that once every 6 week trip on the interstate today. Result: the excess vibration is gone and the car performed very well. In addition, my average MPG for this trip was 29, versus 27.5 last time. I was a little lighter on the gas peddle on this trip but suspect part of it was the the tire re balance and spin. Am most appreciative for the advice offered here!
  • sls002sls002 Posts: 2,788
    The latest Car & Driver had an editorial that showed cruising 70 instead of 80, in the car tested, should produce about 5-6 more MPG. My experience with my Seville and Aurora is that by cruising 70 instead of 75-80 results in a few extra MPG, and I think that the trip is less tiring, so I can go 700 miles in a long day.
  • hey everyone, i have a 1993 cadillac deville. i was wondering what kind of performance exhaust i should put on this car and headers,i cant seem to find anything for it. i would really apreciate the help. thanx
    Brem........Do you have Michelins (spl)?

I spotted a news report of a recall of some of their
    tire models.

I gotta go have a looksee at mine and try and find the
    recall blog on the net. Will post if I dig it up.

DAVE........Welcome to the forum !
    Performance headers/exaust for a pre-N*star? Never seen
    anything like that unless its a custom aka $$$ job.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 17,710
    Which Michelins? I have two sets on cars!!!

This message has been approved.

My initial search sez Mich. pilot sport 255/35zr20-97y.
    Posted today 1/1/06
    Go to the http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov web site with your size info. to be sure ................
  • Valuable post. Mine are the original tires that went with the car when new. I am now at 29,000 miles. Any estimate on how many more miles I can get before its time to replace? My guess is 40,000 miles, whats your guess? 2004 Deville base, Michelin.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 17,710
    Those are Symmetry tires, aren't they. I have 30K on mine and I'm going to replace two by next fall for winter and keep two on the back more of the time to reduce wear so I can use them on the car next winter. I suspect 45 K is about max if I rotated all four tires equally. I expect the tread to be deep enough but I don't want the lack of siping for grip in snow and rain on fronts.

This message has been approved.

Ya know........i believe thats whats on my 03 !

Not sure tho...Forgot to post the BOSS/grandma/and the
    kids took the 03 to Fla. for Disney fun...........

I am cruising in the "official" blue hair special
    aka moms 98 De Ville or driving my truck...........

Too snowy and messy here to cruise the GTO or Z-28 :cry:
  • sls002sls002 Posts: 2,788
    My 2002 Seville LS has the Symmetry tires with 43000 on them. They are not yet close to needing replacement. I have rotated them at 7-8000 mile intervals. So far no other service like balancing or alignments.