Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Japan's Cash For Clunkers Program

2»

Comments

• fintailfintail Posts: 32,937
    I am sure if our guilt-mongers would allow them a return to full on nationalism, they'd have no problem defending themselves. Same for Germany. Our military remains in these places 65 years after the war for our own ego as much as any supposed protection. We've still got to show ourselves that "we won something", even though it was generations ago, and it didn't exactly keep our own closets free of skeletons.
  • s. Even then, I still envy my Dad's generation. You have to have a Master's degree these days just to do as well as a 1960s factory worker.

That is just not true. Yes you need more education now then you did 40 years ago but a basic factory job isn't worth 40 plus dollars an hour. It just isn't. I am not saying it should be a minimum wage job but it 15-25 an hour yes that is where it should be.

I make more money adjusted for inflation then my dad did at my age. Now in five years if I am not making 25-30 percent more then I am now then I won't be making as much as my dad did as he had his master at that point. Put the time line out another 10-15 years from now and I need to double or triple what I am making now. By that time my dad had his own business and until the oil market collapsed in the late 80s he was doing very, very well.

My Brother in law is in the same shape as me and so are several other friends I graduated college with. All of us in our late 20s to early 30s.
  • rockyleerockylee Posts: 14,011
    I have lots of friends with Master Degree's that are working fast food and other menial jobs because they can't find a decent damn job. Sure you and your friends might be the exception of the rule but the fact remains our generation is not better off than our parents generation. Some of my friends thought they were going to get the good paying job as the market looked decent for employment opportunities when they persued that degree but instead they got a nice chunk of debt and a McJob salary. But because our exports aren't excepted in Japan, due to trade barriers and currency manipulation issues our generation will suffer. :sick:

-Rocky
  • nwngnwng Posts: 664
    http://www.volkswagen.co.jp/index.html

So if you wave a magic wand and the import tariffs go away, what can GM sell in Japan and Europe tomorrow in meaningful numbers? Remember, it's the NA GM lineup, not Opel cars.

trucks - no
    body on frame suv - no
    anything with a V6 - maybe but not a great numbers
    Ask yourself, if gas is $5/gal, which GM vehicle would you own?
    GM has the largest fleet of the most fuel efficient vehicles in the world. If Japan's market was open they might consider making more smaller cars as it would make business sense and we would benefit because GM would probably include those vehicles for our market as well. Small cars will sell but you have to do a large enough volume to make those thin profits per unit to justify it!!! ;)

-Rocky
    Exactly!!! ;)

-Rocky
    How much of that fleet is US-made?

The most efficient fleet in the world, or in the US? Are you aware of some of the vehicles sold in Europe?

I don't think Japan's market is large enough to impact production enough to make an entire vehicle class more viable. Remember, even if it is open with zero barriers, you still have very competent domestic makers to compete with, ones who understand the type of small car the Japanese Joe Sixpack wants.
    I was referring to the U.S. fleet. With today's platforms it would cost that much to engineer a car to satisfy the wants and needs of the Japanese. The bottom line is it's not going to happen. Nothing will be done because our country is full of cowards in D.C. :mad:

-Rocky
    I think trying for the Japanese market is a waste of resources. I'd be complaining more about the barriers of the Chinese market. That's where some problems are being born. Yet we take all of their junk without question.
    I do agree the Chinese, love a one-way street but with them holding a good chunk of out national debt well what can we really say??? :sick:

-Rocky
    If we fail, they fail....so they have to be careful.

Of course, there's not going to be a Chinese cash-for-clunkers program anytime soon.
    edited February 2010
    LOL :D

-Rocky
  • I like to call it Mutually Assured Economic Destruction or MAED.

The people stamping their feet saying China has too much power of us forget that we have power over them as well.

When you owe 100,000 dollars to the bank and can't pay then that is a problem for you.

When you owe 100,000 million dollars to the bank and can't pay then that is a problem for the bank.

Same situation we have with China.
    And we're also the key dumping ground for the stuff made in their factories. They want us to be relatively happy and healthy, as via this comes their own health. They understand
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Posts: 4,160
    link title

New imported vehicle sales in Japan, including cars made abroad and imported by Japanese automakers, jumped 16.9% in February from a year earlier to 14,433 units, posting a year-on-year increase for the fourth month in a row, an industry body said Thursday.
  • surrfurtomsurrfurtom Posts: 124
    When you are the top dog only a fool would give away that negotiating point. Wal-Mart always used its position as the leading retail marketer for manufactured consumer products, to demand heavy concessions from producers. If you as XYZ producer wanted to sell to Wal-Mart you had to bare bone your costs, package it the way they want it, use RFID, and sometimes off shore your production to China so that it can be sold to them for even less among other concessions.

For decades (but now ending) the USA was the top dog market in the world for consumer products, and what did our leaders do to leverage that power? Instead of demanding concessions for open markets from our trade partners they did nothing. They gave away our nation and economy to China and Japan and every other country but failed the US people. I don't see it at all as unfair to state that many in Congress and our Presidents worked against the interests of the US people. By definition that makes them traitors.

Traitor def: 1 : one who betrays another's trust or is false to an obligation or duty http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/traitor
2»
This discussion has been closed.