Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen Jetta 2005 and earlier

Comments

• flacaflaca Posts: 168
    but my 2001 GLS 2.0 has been great for the past 11 months and 10,700k miles. No rattles, cabin noise, etc. And I can pass anyone on the highway. Usually I have to slow down cause I can easily reach 85 without ever noticing. The only thing that was repaired so far was that the seat beat would jam on me tugging and moving forward. Dealer changed it and that was that. My dealer in Ft. Lauderdale area is GUNTHER VW. Their salesman Mike Neals is a sweetheart of a guy. He explains and takes great care of all your needs. The only salesguy I have trully liked and respected. Our exprience in leasing 2 VWs there were awesome. So, so far, I LOVE MY JETTA!
  • sarah233sarah233 Posts: 161
    I think it's less attacking people with valid questions and more that this particular person has been making comments to purposely inflame people.
  • absolutely, i agree, i mean i'm not one who flips out on people for bad mouthing VW, if that were the case I would have done so on Blueguy long ago, but that't not the case because I agree with some stuff he says(mostly about rattles). I have my criticisms of VW like many others but certain someones only come in here to start to instigate, but I do agree about the ridiculousness of the rattles situation and agree it should have been rectified long ago...Anywho, I still think I make a valid argument about noisy Chevy's... :b
  • venus537venus537 Posts: 1,443
    you just can't bad mouth teo's impala and expect to get away with it. regardless of his motives, he makes a good point. i would be so pissed off if i had to get this "thick tape" put on my car just after i got it.

blueguy: i just read an article from my autoweek about the G35. i wouldn't kick it out of my driveway (if i had one). autoweek said it would be another year before the 6 speed would be available though.

enough about all this power from the 2.0l engine.
  • justinjustin Posts: 1,918
    ...to have someone driving a GM car questioning the build quality of a VW is just silly, that is all. and that particular person that posts those messages is not known for helpful and constructive posts. i mean, sure, a new car should NOT rattle. but guess what, THEY DO! i guess i just don't understand the constant whining and complaining that people do. get over it. i wish i had these people's lives, where rattles in a car are so important. it just so happens that "tape" fixed my rattles. big deal. does anyone understand how lucky they are to have a car that rattles instead of the alternatives out there? if all my car needs to be perfect is a little tape, i consider myself having the best car out there.....
  • jphdxljphdxl Posts: 32
    We're in the market for a new car and are very seriously considering a Jetta. I've been following this board and the Jetta Problems board for a few weeks now and everyone seems to love this car. It seems from the posts that the 2.0 engine sucks oil and is a bit weak, but haven't heard one bad thing about the 1.8T (I can't see getting the VR6 -- which my brother has in a Passat and loves!). Overall build quality seems good, except for this current rattle battle.

As we're about to start testing possible cars, is there a significant performance difference between the 1.8T stick and auto (wife demands auto and it's not worth a divorce to get the stick)? Also, the 1.8T seems to be quite popular, what kind of deals are people getting on this car (we're in SW CT)? Lastly, what kind of performance/ride differences have people noticed going to the 17" wheels? $2k seems pretty pricey for rims and sport suspension.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Jason
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    I never drove a 1.8T stick, but own a Tiptronic automatic 2002 1.8T. The power is incredible, but be warned that creeping through city traffic can be crazy sometimes. You hit the gas hard enough to spool the turbo in the city, and watch out. Also, sometimes the revs aren't up when you need to stab the pedal quickly to take off. Fuel economy for me averages 22-25 mpg (though I have a heavy foot) on the required premium. Also, the Tiptronic function can be big fun on a windy road. :) Don't feel slighted because your wife wants automatic though. Have fun with the car!

Also, don't worry about the rattle battle. Test drive the car you are actually going to take home. That's the mistake I made, I just took the car after test driving another one. I like my car alot, but it just gets to me that it rattles sometimes (although not HALF as bad as my 2-year old Cavalier did when I had it. Chevy makes crap, everyone knows that). But also, my dealer has been really good about driving the car with me, and addressing my needs. Wonderful customer service.
  • sarah233sarah233 Posts: 161
    i drove the stick and the auto, and i didn't really see a difference in power, the auto just wasn't as fun to drive. i don't think it's worth a divorce though... ( : I also was not that impressed with the tiptronic, but that's why I bough the stick. I think a lot of people really enjoy it.
  • The 1.8T is a fantastic little engine. Yes you've gotta goose it a little to get the go-juice rumbling but once you hit 3k, the car flat out launches.

I haven't touched the Tiptronic, I'm still in denial that automatics exist. :)

Yes, the sports suspension is worth it. Drive both cars back to back HARD. You'll see a marked difference between the normal setup and the sportier one.

As for price, you should be able to get any Jetta near invoice. Do your test drives, find the exact setup you want and then e-mail all the local dealers asking for their best price. Also check into the local AAA or Costco car buying programs. The Costco deal netted one friend a WRX for $200 over invoice and another got a Sentra under invoice (he had the college grad discount too). You'll score an excellent deal via the web/Costco/AAA route. I paid $200 over invoice for my Jetta in June and that was without a single hassle. A dealer in LA offered me the same car for $100 over but I'd have to motor all the way up there, so I took the closer deal.
    I don't know if it's a difference between the 150-hp and 180-hp versions, but my 2002 1.8T hits its power band as soon as I hit 1950 rpm on the tach. I can feel it kick in HARD! :)

I drove a 2002 Jetta GLS 2.0 automatic as a loaner, and the handling was a LOT different than my Sport Luxury equipped 1.8T (with sport suspension and 17-inch tires). The ride was also alot softer though, so try before you buy.
    In the 5 speed you definitely have more control, and if you can drive "stick" correctly, you can get to the next red light faster as well :)

For an automatic, the Tip is pretty flexible (5 forward gears) and smooth too.

Never drove a Jetta with 17" wheels. They were not an option for me, as the Jetta with 15" handles fine for my commute, and the 17" wheels detract from the car's nice more upscale economy car image. I know lots of younger people are really into the big wheel look though, so to each his own with that :) A Jetta is a small car - I think the 16's are as big as I could go.
    I personally like the way the 17-inch wheels look on the Jetta. And everyone that makes comments about the car always asks about the wheels as well. They make it look sportier, but subtly.

But, the 17s will scrape on the curb because of the way they are kinda "flared" out at the face. I learned that the hard way about a week after I got my car. :( Oh well, $95 to reface the wheel and I will be good to go. Or else, change wheels with one of my co-workers. We shall see. :)
  • mvs1mvs1 Posts: 462
    If I read that correct your in South West Conn. Your in luck since I've dealt with three different dealers. Although I'd try the ecommerce approach. Which have you visited, if any? I have the 1.8t Auto for the same reasons you've stated, very good power from a 4 cylinder. This engine is also one of the easiest to tune. My 00' is rated at 150hp, I believe the 02' is rated at 170hp but really is 180hp (rated lower, as to not step on the same Audi Turbo). This engine can easily be chipped to over 200hp for around $400. At the time I leased the sport package wasn't available, although you could upgrade the wheels/tires and springs, which is essentially the package, less the sway bar.

blueguydotcom offers the best advise, drive both, personal preferences vary, so only you can decide.
    you can get the sport package aftermarket though your VW dealer. when i take my car in for the 5k service, i am considering the sport springs. not too expensive, and they will lower the car just a bit. that way i still keep the 15" alloys, but there is not that impression of so much space between the wheel and the car. checking into it.

the 2002 turbo is 180 hp in the jetta/golf/beetle and 170 hp in the passat. not sure why.....if they are different at all anyway.
  • teoteo Posts: 2,508
    The 1.8T feels livier in the Jetta/GTI/Beetle than in the heavier Passat.

The 1.8T is the best engine in the VW/Audi lineup.
    In the Passat, it's rated at 170hp. In the Jetta/Golf/GTI, 180. In the Beetle, it's rated at 150hp. What's up with all the different ratings? They all make no sense to me, since it's the same engine.
    Is the torque rating the same on all 3 cars?
    pretty much, the same on all cars. the passat torque is lower than the jetta torque. the beetle "s" is 180hp. not sure if they are making the 150hp beetle anymore. why would they?
  • It's not the same engine. Some are longtitudal. They also different boost levels. Some have variable valve timing. The TT, A4, Beetle and Jetta all use different chips too.

And the torque rating is different across the board.
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    The 1.8T is recognized as one of the 10 best automotive engines available.

http://ca.autos.yahoo.com/011212/11/fljd.html

• moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    The 1.9L TDI offered in the Jetta was recognized as a great engine even in 1997.

http://www.hatfieldheath.freeserve.co.uk/passat/wards.html
    The best VW diesels are not available in North America. You'll find them in Europe.

The TDI is getting old.
  • jphdxljphdxl Posts: 32
    The 1.8T looks like to way to go. I feel better about the tiptronic not sapping too much power. As was said, we'll have to try them and see which one we prefer.

mvs1: Yes, we're in southwest CT, we were going to look at Greenwich VW on Saturday. The dealer in Stamford is actually closer for us, but the initial comparison shopping is easier in Greenwich with all the different dealers so close together. I saw there was a dealer in Fairfield as well, a bit far to go for regular service for us, but for the right deal It might be worth the trip.

Which dealers do you have experience with and how did they compare on the sales experience and service?

Thanks again for all the input!!!
    Just because you buy a car at one dealership doesn't mean you have to go to that dealership for service and maintenance. Keep that in mind. You can go to any VW dealer in the US. Don't let distance of a dealership keep you from getting a better deal, as long as it's not too far away.
  • venus537venus537 Posts: 1,443
    http://www.cars.com/carsapp/national/?szc=53717&srv=parser&act=display&tf=/features/truthabout/gas/todaysgas1.tmpl

Here's an exerpt from the above link:

"it's a bad idea to make a habit of running a vehicle on gasoline of lower-than-recommended octane. Retarding the spark causes a richer fuel/air mixture, which decreases fuel economy, increases emissions, causes the engine to run hotter, and reduces the longevity of both the engine itself and the catalytic converter. The money you save by pumping low-grade fuel into a car that demands higher octane is lost anyway, in decreased fuel economy and possibly gradual damage"

i strongly recommend anybody whose has the 1.8t engine and is thinking about using lower octane gasoline to read the complete article.

I have been at the pump many times with my 2002 1.8T (I have 7700 miles since 11/3/01). I always check the prices, and it's only like $.10 difference between 89 and 93 octane. I just can never bring myself to put less than 93 in the car. :)
    Has anyone seen the new series of commercials about the VW turbo engine? I saw the on FOX and on NBC last night. It shows a diagram of the engine on the inside, a technical explanation, then a person kinda giving you the "KISS" version of what the technical stuff meant. There are a couple different versions though. I think they are pretty cool.

In the end, it says something like "VW turbo technology - it's not rocket science. Well, maybe a little". I think it's neat. :)
    people are STILL going on about the octane thing? goodness gracious! there is no mass produced car sold in the U.S. that will self-destruct by using regular unleaded gas. not economically sounds for the auto manufacturers. think of how many warranty claims there would be.

use 93 octane in a car that asks for 93 octane. use 87 octane in a car that asks for 87 octane. pretty easy. the in-between ratings - use your judgement.
    Venus was just showing information found on a website. He wasn't going on about anything.
    ...but, it sure does seem like we have all had this conversation already. i will remove myself from the octane discussions from here on out :)