Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen Jetta 2005 and earlier

Comments

• jwink1jwink1 Posts: 17
    You mean like the Aztek?
  • fischdafischda Posts: 272
    Remember, this forum is a sounding board, and most commonly, people experiencing problems come here for advice and information. Take a look at all the GM forums on Edmunds and you won't believe what those people put up with to drive GM cars with loud engines, suspect transmisions, cheap interior parts, uncomfortable seats, and terrible stereos!!! Shall I go on? No? Okay, then, so go test drive a VW...

BTW, my 1.8T dusted a Grand Am with 3800 V-6, and YES, he was trying...
  • Well I came close. I had the afternoon off and went to Home Depot to get some blinds. When I left I was spacing it and forgot that the stop was in front of me. I drove right over it, realized what I did and stopped immediately, then panicked and reversed right off of it. I got out and looked to see if I could see any leaks or anything, then went home. I took it to the dealer a few days later just to have it checked. They said there were no impact marks and everything was fine. Whew. Major sigh of relief.
  • fischdafischda Posts: 272
    gregj - how do you think a Chevy Cavalier would have done?

ALL - I posted my VW experience on a recent long road trip, and would like to hear others' reports on their trips - any out there?
  • bluejettabluejetta Posts: 272
    Our first decent trip (200 mi round trip), the second weekend we had the car, was to the coast (Ilwaco, WA) to do some salmon fishing in the Columbia River.

Since the Jetta is the wife's car, I am still getting used to it and was finding myself uncomfortable with the seating. My arms were getting tired and it just felt weird compared to the Accord we just traded in.

When we arrived at the motel I took the manual in for some reading and found out about the telescoping steering wheel! Oh man! What a difference!

The car ran just fine through the coastal mountains and pulled up the grades just fine leaving most other cars behind.

Pretty much drove the limit with a few bursts up to 75 for a few seconds. Was still under 500 miles, so couldn't get on it too hard. ;-)

We averaged 31 mpg!!! Not too bad for a brand new, not yet broken in car that's supposed to only get 28 on the highway.

The coolest thing about this car is that for the first month or so, you keep finding all these awesome little features, like the hood release that just pops out when you lift the hood a little.

The most fun part of this drive was waking up one cold, foggy-ocean morning, opening the sunroof and the windows a bit, turning on the seat heaters and taking a spin down the coastal highway!! Yeah, baby!!!
  • Well my thoughts exactly. I meant to mention to Ramon that I don't see any Cavaliers / Sunbirds with 100K/10yr powertrain warranties....
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    There is one warranty on the Cavalier that lasts for 100,000 miles. It's the warranty on the recall that Chevrolet issued about the 2.2 engine in the Cavalier since 1992 blowing head gaskets. :)
    Thought you would like that one.

Chevrolet isn't lenient with that warranty either. My best friend's Cavalier spewed everything into the street at 100,500 miles and they said it wasn't their problem because he was 500 miles over the grace period of the warranty. Another friend of mine took his in and got the head replaced, but Chevrolet decided to use the same head bolts in the new head as the old one, even though they got a memo saying not to do that from Chevy corporate themselves. What a mess.
  • justinjustin Posts: 1,918
    who keeps a Cavalier for 100k miles?? kidding..., kind of
  • I actually had a used one a few years back, it was a repo so I got it for like $500, sold it just in time because guess what happened afterwards- ep, the head gasket problem! But I digress, this is the Jetta forum so I'll stay on topic. <y VR6 is the smoothest engine I've ever driven , ready willing and able. I had an old '80's Rabbit diesel a few years back also, which likewise had a head gasket problem. VW's have improved tremendously since then.
  • My experience was Terrible,In my oppinion piece of crap!!!!!I have gotten rid of my 2000 Jetta vr6 already.Lost alot of money.VW is not on my list of favorite cars!!!
  • idgeidge Posts: 2
    Does anybody know if you can choose the 17'' VW wheels that come with the PZA package (Sport Luxury) or is it just one standard? If so are they listed somewhere?

Thanks.
  • I just have to say it, that it amazes me that so many people who think VW's are a bunch of crap continually seek out VW - related sites like this one to complain. I can see current owners, but people who no longer even HAVE a VW? I don't know about you, but when someone or something pisses me off and I want nothing more to do with the person or thing then the LAST thing I'm going to do is seek them out or seek out things that would remind me of them. Unless of course I have absolutely nothing better to do with my time.
  • Check out the wheels at: http://commerce.vw.com/default.htm

Then select your type of car and then wheels. There are also tons of third-party wheels too. I am sure that VW would be happy to put on any kindof wheels you would want. For the right $$$.

Anyway, have fun shopping for your new toy.
  • The interesting thing Greg, is that this same crap happens no matter where you go. Check out a DVD forum, a HDTV forum, a Buick forum, a Sony vs. Denon forum, a pet forum, a computer forum, etc, etc, etc.

No matter what you have, or how good it performs, there is someone else out there who gets their thrills on knocking what you have. The funny thing is that most of these people don't even believe what they're typing. They are just arguing for the sake of arguing and have no factual reasoning behind what they claim.
  • I have to agree with you, I guess all I have to say is if you have had a car that you've had a bad experience with, it really sucks, however there are far more people that have had great experiences with those same cars, so let's just take a step back and take a look at what their real problem is, um let's see, maybe they are jealous of the fact that my jetta is better than whatever they are currently driving, and they are pissed off that they got rid of their jetta, if they even ever had one, and they are trying to make everyone as unhappy as they are with their cavalier or whatever.
  • I didn't want to make fun of anyone's funky Cavalier. ;-)

The great point you make there lexzoom, is that if someone does get a lemon then of course they will bad mouth that manufacturer. I would!

I had a 1981 VW Rabbit that I hated!! I swore off VW's for life! But, it really wasn't the car I hated, it was the service people in the town I was living in. The car was a great car, but I never liked it because the dealer was bad.

Heck, now that we haven't had our 1991 Accord for two months since trading it, there are several things I can list that I didn't like about that car, but there's no point in it really.

I have better things to do than run around trying to pi$$ off a bunch of Honda owners. ;-))

I do have to say though that of all the cars I have owned, this Jetta is definitely the most fun car of them all. And the quality is outstanding! So far I have not found one single flaw. Nada. Nyet. Nothing!
  • venus537venus537 Posts: 1,443
    I picked up my new Jetta last Thursday. A Galactic Blue VR6 GLS with the 5-speed. I need to get my Honda back because I'm having more fun than a human being is allowed to have driving a car. My high expectations for the car have been met and then some. It's as solid as a tank and drives like a dream. Thanks WV for offering such a great car that I can afford. I been converted. I'm driving a wise man's BMW 3 series.
  • Congrats!!!!!!! Nobody's gonna be able to slap that smile off your face for quite some time to come. That Galactic Blue is a nice color and really looks good on the Jetta. In fact, there are really none of the Jetta colors I don't like.

Enjoy!

One bad side-effect of a new Jetta is that your fuel bill increases by about 50%!!
  • A good point, I guess I don't follow the other forums like I do this one and the Vortex. I wasn't trying to rag on the guy, but we've already made the point that all makes and models can have lemons, and then I continually see this stuff. Sheesh, I guess it was a bad nite! ;-)
  • idgeidge Posts: 2
    I did look on that site before, but I didn't see the wheels option on the bottom. The Montreal ones looks pretty good to me, although it's not listed if they come in 17''. I've seen mostly the Bravo and Toccata around.
    I still haven't decided on the color. It's gonna be either black or blue! ;)
  • I test drove a Jetta VR6 last weekend, as well as a Nissan Altima and Subaru Impreza RS, all with a 5-speed. The VR6 felt disappointingly weak when compared to the 4-bangers in the Altima and Impreza. Also, the short shift lever in the Jetta forces me to have to reach for 3rd and 5th gears, although I am kinda big and have the seat back pretty far.
  • When people get a lemon for a car I can understand their frustration. For most people, their car is the 2nd most expensive piece of property that they own/lease. I would be pretty mad if I paid 20G for a lemon no matter what the make or model was. Put yourself in this guy's shoes...then be glad it's not you!
  • justinjustin Posts: 1,918
    You did it!! Woo Hoo! Congrats....be careful and have fun!
  • Has anyone taken delivery of a 2001 Jetta with the curtain airbags for driver/passenger? This was to be an October midyear upgrade along with the multi-function steering wheel. I have seen the new wheel...very nice for safety reasons..although many prefer the old 3 spoke wheel.

Also I am considering either the Baltic green..which is a dark metallic blue-green, or the black. Any opinions on one or the other? Thanks................
  • I just bought a 2001 Baltic Green GLX and the color has played to rave reviews. (It's really nice with the beige interior.) Oddly enough, I'd seen similar colors on other cars and hadn't been that impressed. Too something ... blue? ... green? ... loud? The Jetta seems to have gotten it right, and I think its a good color for a small car. Just make sure you check out this color under different lighting conditions. Depending on the way the light hits it, it will look either more blue or more green. Whichever color you select, I've got to say that the Jetta is a neat little car.
  • malibu99malibu99 Posts: 305
    Hello everyone

I just have a small question for you VW owners. My co worker just bought a 98 GLS and none of her warning light s come on when she turns the key to the "on" position. Now I don't know if VW works the same way as my car does but which lights are supposed to come on when the ignition is switched to "ON"? She says her BRAKE, SEAT BELT, ABS lights are the only ones that come on. Is this the way it should work? Any info will be greatly appreciated.
    That's the way they should work in the car. Every car I have ever driven does that, so it's totally normal.
  • In any car, when the key is turned to the "on" position and isnt running the car "thinks" the engine is running, but the alternator isnt spinning, which could cause a "low battery" type of light to come on also. The "brake" and "ABS" lights come on because the power brake pump isnt pressurizing the brake fluid.