Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen Jetta 2005 and earlier

Comments

• blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Posts: 6,257
    Don't worry about it. Mod all you want and resell the car on your own before you return it. Odds are good with a Jetta it's going to have a higher resale value than your buyout.
  • fish8fish8 Posts: 2,282
    I picked up my new Jetta yesterday and all is great....except the drink holder. When you push to release the holder it does not expand. I have to push the top of the holder for it to work. It's no biggie, but on a brand new car you expect everything to work. Oh well. They had to get my car from a nearby dealer, so when I saw it for the first time I noticed it had pin stripes. They looked aweful. I ripped them off in a matter of seconds.
  • AnakinAnakin Posts: 410
    My wife can't seem to operate the cup holder.

I just tap it quickly and it pops right out. I think maybe she's trying to push it too slowly.

I'm not saying you're doing it incorrectly, just mentioning a related anecdote. :^)
  • target3target3 Posts: 155
    Anyone having sunroof issues? All of a sudden, mine will open only 75% of the way.
    I will try the "quick touch" technique when I go out to my car!
  • vtwatersvtwaters Posts: 24
    Well, according to DriverGear and the parts salesperson, you can only use them on 4-cylinders, but he couldn't explain why. He stated that the exhausts are exactly the same on both 4 and 6 cylinders.
  • AnakinAnakin Posts: 410
    There was a guy who posted a picture of his car today on VW Vortex... he has a 1.8T and he put the GLI exhaust on it.

I suspect the people at your VW dealership don't know what they're talking about. I bet you could go back to the shop and the mechanics would say "oh yeah, it's fine."
  • the magazine does say the exhaust tips are only for the four cylinder. Protege-I can't quite find any button that could activate the stuff. I did notice that this problem does affect my alarm. I will arm the alarm, and open the driver door from the inside and the alarm will not go off but if I open another door, it will.
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Posts: 2,405
    ??? I dunno then. Maybe I read your previous post wrong and sent you on a wild goose chase! Sorry if that's the case :(
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    I just returned from a week trip to Chicago, great city. I picked up my Jetta today at the dealership, after 5 weeks. I went home, then had to go back out (it was dark by then). I turned on the lights, and the climate control panel did not light up! I am so MAD! I just got the car back, and it has to go back to the shop AGAIN for something else! UGH! I love the car, but this is getting to be a pain in the rear. Also, the dealer did not fix my molding right, next to the dash. It is still sticking out. I am going to throw a fit when I go in there tomorrow.

If they do not get these rattles right, I will be selling this car back to VWoA and they will be giving me another 2002 very soon.
  • nuridenuride Posts: 19
    I am about to go for my 10,000 mile service very soon I presently have 9700. Must I have exactly 10,000 miles on it before bringing it in? Does my warranty cover oil changes and other service until 15,000? Also, is it necessary to use synthetic oil? Or is this something for car enthusiasts? I have absolutely had no problems with this car since i picked it up in may of 2001.
    Any suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated.
    As long as you change the oil regularly, you do not need synthetic. In addition, you do not need to change it every 3,000 miles. Do a change every 5,000 as the manual indicates, and you will be fine.
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Posts: 1,391
    I believe it's 24,000 miles free maintenance or 2 years, which ever is first
    I have had my Jetta for 2 days now and love it. Though I have heard the infamous door rattle. It is not that bad, but I will bring it up during my first service. Has anyone in here gotten their oil changed earlier than the recommended 5k service? Is there break-in oil in out Jetta's?

My cup holder seems to be working on and off.

This car really feels very solid and the fit and finish is great.
  • newcar31newcar31 Posts: 3,711
    but I am curious as to why Jettas are still being made with the "infamous door rattle"? I've read about this since the Jettas were introduced in 99'.
    I am not so sure that it is that big of an issue. Mine will only make noise if I hit something major where both front tires do not hit it at the same time. I drive on Minnesota roads, which are not in great shape to begin with. I am not sure if others are experiencing the same thing as I am, or something worse. If they are experiencing the same thing I am, they are being rather picky.
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Posts: 6,257
    You think it's picky to complain about new cars rattling over road irregularities? You have VERY low expectations of cars. I just drove my 11 year old Nissan yesterday (a car I beat the hell out of) and it doesn't rattle EVER. It may not be as much fun as my Jetta but it's a far better built car.
    My doors only rattle when I go over a pretty substantial bump. I agree though, it should make no noise at all. But, at this point......its livable. I know this was discussed in this forum, but what is the fix? Some Gummi solution?
    Don't get all defensive. I said if others are experiencing the same thing I am, then they are picky. Maybe you are experiencing something more than I am. All I can say is that in 4 months, I have had my doors make noise only about 5-6 times, driving on crappy roads. So if yours is rattling more than that, you may have a legitimate complaint.
  • newcar31newcar31 Posts: 3,711
    What I am trying to say is that if there is a known fix for these rattles, why hasn't VW applied them to production. It just seems silly to me.
    Now that you have your car back does it still rattle?
  • justinjustin Posts: 1,918
    yes, VW should fix the issue that causes the rattle. though it didn't start in 99. but, my 2002 rattled, i took it in, they fixed it in 15 minutes flat. 9k miles later, no rattles. i will gladly take a Jetta with a rattle over anything else in the Jetta price range. no other car offers 8 speaker stereo, a/c, power everything, 180 hp, 8 airbags/ABS, and a beautiful interior/exterior for under $30k.

taking the car in tomorrow for the 10k service and the ABS recall. not going to do synthetic - just not worth it right now.

did everyone see the econo-SPORT Edmunds test? Jetta did pretty good. again, one of the best qualities about the Jetta that people mention is fit and finish and build quality. not to mention the turbo and brakes and interior/exterior design :) i wonder why they keep testing the Jetta? it doesn't really change. neither do the complaints about it. it is not a sports car! and it is doesn't have room. heard it all before Edmunds.....are you listening? ;)
    sorry about all your mess. see, sometimes it pays to not search for problems. dealers almost always make things worse. i hate them. luckily, i found one that i really like, knock on wood. who knows, my car might be dirty when i pick it up tomorrow. ;) it seems like your cars seem to have a lot of drama, huh?

sounds like you need to get out of Baltimore, move to DC, and take the Metro. it doesn't rattle one bit :)
    There is one thing they did not do right to it. They forgot to clean my molding, and left it sticking away from the dash STILL. They get it right this time, or I get another car. That's pretty much been established already.
    I did not search for a problem. I took the car for a rattle in the dash, which they fixed. They need to put the molding back the way it was though, and they have not done it. Now, the climate control lights went out too, and they need to fix that. Drama, drama, drama. :)
    I just wanted to see if that rubber treatment actually worked. I would hope so after holding your car for so long. Did you see what exactly the rubber treatment was?
    The treatment was not really the problem. The doors have not rattled for a long time in my car. I don't even know why they did the treatment. The problem was the dash rattling, not the damn doors. I guess it worked, I don't know.

The outside left mirror whistles too, like there's too much space between it and the door or something. It did it before, and it's back again. Also, the rubber treatment was some kind of petroleum jelly like stuff, from what I understand.
    Sounds like it's the same as that gummi stuff that somebody was talking about earlier.
    It does sound the same, but it would not have taken that long to get in. This dealership also sells BMWs too, so it could have gotten that stuff sooner.
    you can bet that the dealer caused the climate control lights to go out. that happened to me once in my old Sentra. they work inside the car, and then forget to hook up wires the right way.

that will be an easy fix, though it should never have happened in the first place.

who knows, you might be able to get them to switch cars with you.

did you drive the loaner to Chicago? long drive? was it comfortable? i have only ever taken my Jetta on 4 hour drives, and it was fine. chicago is like 8 hours, right?