Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen Jetta 2005 and earlier

Comments

• I get dismal mielage with my GLS 2.0 auto. I aty best get 250 miles with the light being on for some 10-20 miles. I basically get 19 mpg but I do very little, leaning more to no highway driving and I am pretty aggressive but even when I'm not it has never been better than 20-21mpg. I thought something was wrong with it but I was told to just take the car on a lil trip with just highway driving to see what kind of mileage I get and I ended up getting 28mpg which is what VW says I should get so I guess it's just my driving style/habits(lots of short trips, stop and go).

For the stereo question, if you want to hook the stereo up, you are better off going with the stock because I have heard that the Monsoon is close to impossible to mess with. But I think the Monsoon has alot of bass, just not subwoofer kind of bass which I'm not a big fan of(I'm in highschool and the parking lot is filled with Accords and Civics, coffee can exhausts, lowered, tinted, decals, but no real performance mods...) But each his own...
  • I get 310 miles plus on a tank for my 1.8T/triptronic. I was told by the dealer to get good gas only. No not high octane, but a reliable source for fill ups will keep the 1.8T running great. Don't know where you live but in Ohio I found a difference between BP and Marathon, with Marathon being the better of the two. Yes I run only 87. Oil changes as you've heard are out. Just make sure the Jiffy Lube guy doesn't drain your transmission oil by mistake. Do it your self. I think I have 5-30 sitting in the garage for the next change at 12,000, but I believe 5-40 is fine too.
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    Why are you changing the oil at 12K? The manual says every 5K miles.

I can understand about the cheap gas. If I get gas from Amoco or Hess in Maryland, the car goes through it quicker than if I get another station's gas. And NEVER use Texaco, it runs through the 1.8T like water! I actually have had better luck with the cheaper gases, believe it or not.
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Posts: 1,391
    I can only guess thomasibailey did a early oil change at say, 2000 miles, and doing 5000 mile oil changes ever since.

5w40 is the preferred weight, but it's harder to find.
  • nuridenuride Posts: 19
    I have a 2001 1.8t with 9,087 miles on it and I cannot decide whether to continue leasing this car or buy it now. My lease expires 2004. I love this car to death. I leased to begin with because it was cheaper for me financially, i know in the long run that buying is smarter. I am confused because there is one option missing on this car that i wanted and its leather! I have the lux package. I know it seems silly but i want to be fully satisfied. I have also noticed that this car does not hold its value very much and if i continue to lease it i can get rid of it easier true? Any response would be greatly appreciated whether negative or positive.
  • justinjustin Posts: 1,918
    ......but i seem to kill my brakes all of the time. The only car i ever had that had ZERO brake problems was a 96 Integra GS-R.

I have noticed lately that braking hard from 70-80 mph down to 5-10 mph (beltway traffic) causes my brake pedal to vibrate. It is not the ABS. I think my rotors are warping or something. This happens to all of my cars. Why? Am I doing something wrong?
  • hknyhkny Posts: 12
    The dealer couldn't fix the rattle problem on my Jetta. They said they have adjusted the doors as they thought the rattle is because of the gap between the door and the rubber sealing on the roof. It didn't help. Yesterday I bought silicone spray and applied it on the rubber sealing but it didn't help. I tried to get the silicone described in post #4145 from GM dealer but they said the part number (in the post) is not valid.

Do you guys have any idea how to get rid of rattles coming out from the weatherstrips.Thanks!
    I am telling you, talk to VWoA about your problems. I did, and they are taking care of everything. It might take a little to be satisfied, but you will be happy in the long run.
    If, when you apply the brakes between 70-80mph, the car shakes and it feels like it's got a "missing" spot in the brakes, the rotors are warped. You better get to the dealer about it, because rotors are only covered for 12K or one year. Also, when driving alot of stop-and-go, try not to hit puddles. If you hit a cool water puddle and cool that hot rotor down (from stopping alot), you warp it. Remember that!
    If the car does not have everything you want on it, then don't bother buying it. Trade it or sell it now if you want, and get exactly what you want. But of course if you can live with not having the leather, then I would say buy the car.
    I am thinking to give one more chance to the dealer to fix the problem. They said bring the car back if the rattles are still coming. I plan to take the car one more time for this, if they can't fix it I will call VW customer service.
    By the way, did you get yours fixed?
    Not yet. The shop foreman at the dealership where the car is ordered the special stuff for my car, then he had a death in his family. Right now, they are waiting for him to get back. I went through a family death (my mother) back in 2001, so I know how it can be. I told them to keep the car as long as they needed to. I also told them if it was not right when I did get it back, all Hell was going to break loose. I am not kidding, it surely will if I hear one little thing in that car after all this drama! :)

They have had the car for 3 weeks now, but I am still very much satisfied with their attentiveness to my needs and also to my problems. I have said this before, but I can't help to think it's the best service I have ever gotten from a carmaker, bar none. I have only had 5 cars, but it's still the best of those 5.
    3 weeks? don't you miss your turbo?I miss mine even when my wife and I exchange the cars some times. She has '02 Passat V6. Very nice engine, but I like my turbo more.
    I am having some serious turbo withdraw! :) I have a 2001 Beetle 2.0 loaner now. I had a Passat V6, but it used way too much gas for my commute, so I exchanged it for the Beetle. I still want my car back though. :)

Actually, I have a road trip to Chicago at the end of the month for Memorial Day. I wouldn't terribly mind keeping the mileage off my car and putting it on their loaner for that trip, but we shall see. I would definitely have to pack light though. :)
    You right. V6 Passat takes too much gas, I like the car though, very smooth nice ride.

My wife has black with beige leather, very difficult to keep clean.

When we were buying this for her the sales manager advised us to get 1.8t on Passat but we didn't like 4 cyl engines until I got my Jetta 1.8t.
    My Jetta felt more powerful to me than the Passat V6 loaner I had a couple weeks ago. It also uses alot less gas. I have the 2.slow Beetle now, and it uses the same amount of gas as my 1.8T Jetta, but with a LOT less power. :( My friend says the 2.0 in the Beetle sounds like a lawnmower engine. :)

I also think the Jetta's seats are the most comfortable between the Beetle, Passat, and Jetta. I hated the Passat's (cloth) seats, even with lumbar. They hurt my back badly after 30 mins. or so driving. I fiddled with them too, to no avail. The Beetle's seats are covered in leatherette, but not nearly the same as my Jetta's leather. Also, the Beetle's seats feel less padded than the Jetta's to me as well.

I hope the rubber treatment stuff for my car comes in soon. I can't wait to get my ride back! I am close to going to a dealer and test driving a 1.8T because of withdrawl! :)
    I agree. Comparing Passat and Jetta seats I notice that driver's seating position is better on Jetta, also the visibility is better. Passat has better leather quality though.
  • dl7265dl7265 Posts: 1,381
    edmunds shows a turbo jetta as 22/29
    and a v6 4motion passat as 19/26

did u really see that much difference ?

DL
  • bpibpi Posts: 120
    "They have had the car for 3 weeks now, but I am still very much satisfied with their attentiveness to my needs and also to my problems."
    So it's fine when they call you every other day and ask how you feel, but if they fail to fix it this time, all hell's going to break loose.

What's the problem with the part? Is it at the dealership right now? If not, is it even in stock in Germany?
  • go to a BMW dealership and buy Gummi Phlege rubber treatment and rub that on. I do it every few months and it works great. I took my car in a few weeks ago for rattles that were nonexisten that day but they heard the creaking(I had not used the Gummi for a while) and they took care of it but it was back the next day where as the Gummi lasts sometime. I know they use the same time but maybe they are very thrifty whilst using it. I really layer it on thick.