Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen Jetta 2005 and earlier

Comments

• How about Audi? Is Audi a luxury car? I could have sworn that they were made as a component of VW--the LUXURY component.

Uh, in my book audi is a VW and therefore worthless. It doesn't rate as luxury. It's a company that aspires to grand things but always falls into the shadows of the true benchmarks from Germany (MB and BMW). think of it as the german equivalent of Acura...a nice try but so far off the mark it's worth only a snicker.

But there's, more, how about the Seville STS, or the Sedan deville--oh yeah, I forgot, they're american, so they can't be luxury vehicles.

amen to that. American cars aren't worth the bits it takes up to write about them.

Not to be facetious, but just to make you think for a second.

Actually you brought up things i briefly considered but passed on for reasons stated above.

To me a luxury car is any car above a certain price point---around 28,000 dollars or so,

That'd include cars like a Grand Prix and Honda Accord. Are we calling a Maxima a luxury car now?

If someone wants to think a vr6 is a luxury vehicle--who am I to tell them they're wrong. It's a free country.

You're entirely right. Mea culpa.
  • chmeeeechmeeee Posts: 327
    I think you are going way over the top on your criticism of car companies. Audi worthless? I think not. American cars not worth the bits it takes to write about them? Yay for worthless generalizations.
  • I think you are going way over the top on your criticism of car companies. Audi worthless? I think not. American cars not worth the bits it takes to write about them? Yay for worthless generalizations.

Hey to each his own. But I'm not generalizing in any way. I've driven Audis, American cars and I've taken out their competition. Audis are the Acuras of Luxo cars = wannabes...only they're not even reliable like an Acura. They simply offer nice, albeit cramped, interiors. Nice interiors mixed with questionable build quality and lackluster performance (yes even their S and RS series cars).

As for american...I don't have enough invectives to lobby against american engineers and the horrendous piles of trash they put on the road.

We better veer back toward VW before this gets a slap from the Edmunds thought police.

Anyone else notice during colder weather their Jetta rattles? My rattles come and go with weather shifts. Probably due to the expansion/contraction of the parts.
  • To me a luxury car is any car above a certain price point---around 28,000 dollars or so,

I agree with the concept but not with the price point. Real luxury cars cost more than twice that amount. Mercedes S Class, BMW 7-series, Audi A8, Jaguar (not X-type), Lexus LS 430, Infinit Q45, and even Cadillac DeVille (sorry).
  • fish8fish8 Posts: 2,282
    Did you happen to get the Jetta inspected prior to purchasing it? I am afraid to say, but I would expect more serious problems servicing pretty soon. Good luck though!!
  • yup, i had it inspected. my uncle is a mechanic and he looked it over for me. i also had it fully serviced and everything else. but who knows, by the posts that i read here - i should e expecting some problems in the near future! :-/
  • target3target3 Posts: 155
    has all the bells and whistles that I would ever need. For me, it almost is a luxury car. Definitely not a BMW or MB, but I cannot (and would not) pay that amount of money for a car. Pure waste of money unless you make $150k or more, IMO.
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    Totally agree with you. I drive nearly 30K miles yearly, and am not about to pay more than $20-25K for a car that I will more than likely have to replace by the time the payment book's done.
    I can agree with you on your opinions of American cars. I wouldn't have one if I was given 10 of them to drive. Every person that I know who had an American car has always had trouble with them.

I like the driving experience of a German sedan alot, even a FWD German sedan. I also don't know what the big hype over a BMW is. My co-worker has a 2000 323i, and it's nice but nothing to write home about. Of course, I never have had it on a winding road either...
  • AnakinAnakin Posts: 410
    My offer still stands, blueguy.

I'll take a new S4, you take a new M3, and I'll race you in the snow, mud, or sand. Your choice. ;)
    Funny. :) My co-worker has an S4, I think it's a 2001 model. He likes it alot, bought it after trading in his Acura Integra GS-R.
    Anyone get a letter in the mail yet from VW about replacing the coilpacks? I got TWO of them in the mail yesterday, for some reason. Maybe they're sending one for each coil? :)

Anyway, from what I got from the letter, it says they will replace the coils IF they go out, but not voluntarily. I may not have read it closely enough, but that's what I got from it. I will take a look at it tonight when I get home, and won't be as tired as I was last night. :)
  • justinjustin Posts: 1,918
    no letter yet. i have a feeling my next round of coils will fail before i get any letter...

an A8 NOT a luxury car? gotta disagree. i would take an A8 over a 7 series or S class anyday. traction, performance in spades, aluminum bodywork, and a general sleeper mentality. i will never be the person that drives a 7 or S. i don't like gold chains and pinky rings. kidding!!!!

and yes, my car makes more noise in the winter. i don't think i will be in the Jetta board much longer. i have the "bug" - can't stop thinking about top-down spring/summer fun!
    I don't know, with all this snow we've been getting lately, a front-drive car with traction control seems to be a better idea than a rear-drive one without. I don't know why you got another Jetta in the first place, you wanted the Miata anyway. Funny, you are hurting to go to a Mazda from a VW, and I was the opposite over a year ago...

I don't think the new coils will be going either, they are better ones from a different manufacturer. I had only lost one coil, and everything's been fine for about 7K miles now. (I shouldn't say that, I am only cursing myself...)

Also, he said ONLY the A8 was considered a luxury car in the Audi lineup. I personally couldn't see the A4 being worth $3000+ more than a Jetta (to me anyway), so that's why I got the VW instead of the Audi.
    okay. i tend to agree - yes the A4 has more style, more sophisticated suspension, and AWD, but it also has coils problems and no back seat, just like my car.

the ONLY car i would be seen in, in the 3 series/A4/C class price range, would be an S60 2.4 LT. gorgeous, inside and out! sure, it has some issues, like small back seat, and the typical european electronics bugs, but it sure is pretty. and not pretentious! plus, it was the last real and true Volvo that is actually a Volvo instead of a Ford. it will be worth money one day, haha!
    An S60? They just came out for 2001, weren't they designed between Ford and Volvo? Not sure, that's why I am asking.

I will more than likely rent one of those tomorrow while my car's in the shop being repaired from being vandalized. I will let you know how I like it if I decide to rent one.
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Posts: 1,391
    Don't forget Jaguar
    nope, the last real Volvo project. contrary to what you have heard.

DO NOT RENT the base model, 5 cylinder. it is not much better than our cars. you have to get the mid-line model. the Light Pressure turbo. or the T-5 if you are feeling like a little torque steer :)

vandalized? what did they do?
  • I'll take a new S4, you take a new M3, and I'll race you in the snow, mud, or sand. Your choice. ;)

LOL...I'll stick to racing on paved, dry streets thanks. ;)

an A8 NOT a luxury car? gotta disagree. i would take an A8 over a 7 series or S class anyday. traction, performance in spades, aluminum bodywork, and a general sleeper mentality. i will never be the person that drives a 7 or S. i don't like gold chains and pinky rings. kidding!!!!

Justin, you ever drive a 7 series? It's a near religious experience. Piloting an 03 7 series topped my experience behind the wheel of a 911. All the fun and power of that Porchse mixed with room for 3 more and every neato gizmo on earth. God only knows how much upkeep on one of those will be when it's out of warranty. Yikes.

BTW, enjoy your Miata. I too have that itch. I sway back and forth over my next move...G35, Miata, unknown quantity. I want something fun and RWD this time. Still sad my VW's been such a headache because I really do like so many things about the car. Sigh...
    try changing a headlight bulb on the G35c. It's not fun
    if i get my way, i will keep the Jetta (too cheap to get rid of, it it runs right) and get a used Miata with the proceeds from my home sale.

also - newsflash everyone:

i got TWO letters today from VW. is it because i had two seperate coil failures?
    I got none...

my TDI has no coils

can I get a cookie?
  • I'm going to weigh in on the shifter question from a few posts back.

My first car was as '68 Pontiac GTO with a Hurst shifter. I went to a late-70s Trans Am with a similar transmission. They were great fun to shift. Then I went with a motorcycle.

After that, I bought a van and and sedan with automatic transmissions and didn't even try to drive them with any enthusiasm. They were just to transport things.

When I went car shopping three years ago, I wanted fun. I wouldn't even consider an automatic. The Audi A4 with quattro and the 1.8T was my first choice, but I had to replace my wife's car also, and couldn't afford the Audi. So I decided on the Jetta with the stick shift and bought two.

The point of this is that if you like the Jetta instead of the Accord or Camry, it's because of that whole driver's-car enthusiast thing. It's counterproductive to saddle a sporty car with an automatic. It would be like dating a supermodel for her looks, but dressing her like Bozo the Clown!
  • try changing a headlight bulb on the G35c. It's not fun

I've been driving for 18 years and I've never changed a lightbulb on any car. It's not really a concern for me. If it does need to get done...I'll handle my business.

BTW, I'm imagining Elle Machperson dressed as clown...I could still deal with that.
    I've done that 2 weeks ago...next I'm letting a shop tear down the wheel well liners.
  • redkey1redkey1 Posts: 270
    Pros and cons other than the 3k price difference when loaded? I did a search but didn't come up with much. Also saw a 2001 cpo glx w/ 15k miles for $21,900, and that is a consideration as well.

Anyone compare the mazda6 and the jetta?
  • i think that's the most ridiculous thing i've ever heard..

luxury means price range/features of a car... FWD is not a true sports car.. i agree with that.
  • cards28cards28 Posts: 145
    1. If you have someone in your car to run the stop watch for your flight to 60, wouldn't the timer add to the weight of the car? Don't know, just a thought, of which I haven't had too many of.

2. My memory is shaky here, but didn't a govn't agency (?) define a luxury car at a certain amount and the buyer had to pay a luxury tax? Does this ring a bell with any of you?

3. I got the letter from VW today.
    I own a 2002 1.8T Tiptronic Jetta, and drove both the 6i and 6s models with automatic. What I thought:

Interior: VW's materials are definitely better, but only slightly. There are certain little touches that I've gotted used to that the 6 doesn't have, like a center sunvisor, auto door locks, and auto up/down front windows. The silver interior trim on the dash makes the stereo and climate controls hard to see in sunlight a little. I also would have to get used to the climate/radio displays being away from the actual units. The back seat is bigger in the 6, but not as big as I thought it would be. I was able to "sit behind myself" in the 6 though, something I wouldn't be able to do in the Jetta. Folding the rear seats in the 6 is also easier than in the Jetta, thanks to the spring-loaded trunk seat release system.

Performance: I drove the V6/automatic 6, and it felt slower than the 1.8T, but the T has brute power that you pretty much "unleash" when flooring the pedal. So the real-world acceleration numbers might be close, but the Jetta 1.8T "feels" alot faster.

Handling: No question, the 6 handles better than the Jetta, stock. The cornering was flat in both models without the lean that the Jetta experiences sometimes.

Overall: I prefer the Jetta, but this may be because I have driven it for over a year, compared to just about 10 miles in both 6 models that I test drove. Your results may vary. :)
  • My memory is shaky here, but didn't a govn't agency (?) define a luxury car at a certain amount and the buyer had to pay a luxury tax? Does this ring a bell with any of you?

It's somewhere in the mid to upper 30s now as it creeps up with each year. Like 10 years ago I think it was 30k. Today with SUVs and Accords costing nearly 30k it'd be sorta outrageous for the gov't to insist spending 30k equals buying a luxury car.

Vocus, we had pretty much the same reaction to the Mazda 6. I wanted to like it and buy it. But it just didn't excite me enough...