Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen Jetta 2005 and earlier

Comments

• patpat Posts: 10,421
    Protege folks, hold your fire!!! :)
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Posts: 2,405
    Must resist....
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    Before you go "off", hold on a second. Let me explain. I liked the way the car drove alot, but the power lag sucked (automatic supercharged model). The drive and ride was great (better than the Jetta), but the interior was too cramped for me. That was the biggest problem for me. I guess I should have been more explanatory, sorry. :)
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Really, let's please don't get into this again here. If you want to pursue this kind of conversation go to Meet the Members in your Owners Club.

I'm serious -- we've beaten this into the ground.
    No worries :D
    Sedan vs. coupe...if space is an issue than it's not the car for you!!
    Well I am 6'3 and about 260lbs., so space is definitely an issue for me. The Jetta doesn't have much back seat room, but I don't care since I don't ride in the back seat.
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Posts: 1,391
    SLK 320 is sweet...but as a daily driver...ain't gonna happen (my cousins are paying $800 a month for 5 years to finance it....and they only drive it to work on nice days).
    That's like my mortgage payment!!!! :O
  • justinjustin Posts: 1,918
    Vocus is right. The Kompressor M-B's with automatics just aren't right. A friend as a SLK230 5 speed. Car is beautiful, and has plenty of spare power. Another friend has the EXACT same car, with the automatic. SERIOUSLY, my 94 Nissan Sentra 110hp automatic was faster. By a long shot. I have heard that something is wrong with M-B lately....I guess that is one of the things. Digging the new E though...

I am still so upset that VW abandoned the Cabrio/Golf convertible format, for the Beetle. Now there is not a single simple yet affordable yet classy convertible to be had! Anywhere. Unless you buy used. The Beetle Cab will be a huge seller like the Mini, but no soul :(
  • AnakinAnakin Posts: 410
    Supposedly a Cabrio will be back when they release the MkV.

I'm hoping those rumors of a convertible hardtop Jetta are true.
  • lanaslanas Posts: 6
    I'm thinking of buying a Jetta.
    Does anyone know the major differences between the VR6 and the 1.8T? the VR6 has more horsepower but the 1.8T seems torqueier?
  • Anyone else attempted an 'erl change on their 2002 Jetta? I'd like to save some money w/o using the thieves at jiffy lube. How difficult was it?

Thanks.

Hoos
  • AnakinAnakin Posts: 410
    The VR6 will likely seem smoother. I chose the 1.8T because it had just as much power, but was less expensive and more fuel efficient. It's also very smooth for a 4 cylinder engine.

I would say drive both and just pick what you like most.
  • chmeeeechmeeee Posts: 327
    I just did mine a few days ago for the first time and it was cake. I used a vacuum pump which makes life far easier, so you don't have to crawl under the car. You just run a hose down into the dipstick tube and suck out the old oil, and it gets it all out just as reliably as pulling the drain plug, and there is no mess. There are a few pumps that do this, the one I used is called the Liquivac, I ordered it from www.northerntool.com. Its like $45, so you wont necessarily save money on your first oil change, but you definitely will in the long run. I think now that I know what I am doing I should be able to do an oil change on my car in about 30 minutes.
    Vaccuum pump eh? Well that would work perfectly for me for changing the oil. I don't really have the space to put the car up on lifts or crawl under it (I live in the city), and I would be able to change my own oil using this method. How proven is it that you got all the old oil out of the engine though? Just curious. Thanks for the idea. :)
    My co-worker has a 2001 Cabrio that she adores. She said she was in a 7-car accident with it (being one of the middle cars). She walked away from the accident, and was amazed at how well the car held up. She said the car doesn't feel the exact same (there was like $8000 worth of damage to it, afterall), but she still loves it though.
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Posts: 1,391
    vacuum pump type....I've heard over in TDIclub that there are people that use this type of system with good results. Also from the grapevine, this is the preferred method for many Mercedes-Benz...whether it's true, don't know
  • target3target3 Posts: 155
    IMO it depends on your preference between automatic and manual.

The 1.8T manual is extremely smooth and fast. However, with the automatic there is a bit of turbo lag (not much, but too much for me).

The VR6 automatic is smooth as well. However, the manual is horribly rough with shifts.

Test drive the two and you will feel the difference.
  • cfilkinscfilkins Posts: 39
    Someone metioned the other day about there being $1200 dealer cash incentive on the 02's right now, but I can't find anything on the net about it. My mother in law is shopping for either a Jetta wagon or a Passat wagon, and she's looking to lease. With the Passat just being listed as having the best residuals of any midsized car, I'd wonder of the Passats are leasing for less. Anyone able to verify any dealer incentives going on right now? Thanks!
    Chris
  • ashutoshsmashutoshsm Posts: 1,007
    What do you mean " Now there is not a single simple yet affordable yet classy convertible to be had! Anywhere "?

Are you, perchance, forgetting about the Mazda Miata? The most fun to be had on 4 wheels (well, in the front seats anyway - which is all the Miata has!)

And - from the one friend I know that drives a Cabrio - she can't wait to get rid of it, but can't afford to right now. Piece-a-junk, with iffy electricals, no power and terrible handling, her words not mine. I've never ridden in it, so second hand info is all I have. But I seriously doubt anyone in the press is bemaoaning the loss of the ugly duckling, black sheep of the VW family.