Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Jetta 2005 and earlier

Comments

• moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    mellis has posted a few times that VWoA can not void warranty for chipping. If you chip the car and then need warranty work and your dealer or VWoA find out then there may be consequences.
    I may chip my car in the future, but I know that I do so with some small degree of risk.

Here is the story of someone who has chipped their car and now is having some problems.

quote..
    I started having problems with my car so I switched to the stock chip. The problems went away for two days but then came back. The problem was that the car would be idle very rough, and the revs would keep going up and down by itself. Up to about 1500 over and over. Also the check engine light was on and the epc light would come and go. When the epc light was on the car would go into limp mode. I took it to a friends house who has a vag-com and the only code was something with the throttle body. I brought it the the dealer and they called me back and wanted to know if I had an aftermarket chip. I said no. The wanted to know why I had an aftermarket dv(forge), and I said because the stock one broke and I didn't want it to happen again. They said well that's usally a sighn of chipping. I said no. Then they mentioned my tt exhaust and kept asking about the dv. He then says that I am showing throttle body codes and that that is usually when someone pulls the ecu to chip it and doesn't put it back in right. He asks me what he will find if he pulls the ecu, I said a stock chip. He says ok I'll call you back. Calls me back ten minutes later saying that they found the socket and they seemed pretty happy about themselves. Tells me that they can't fix my car. I tell them to just replace the windseild(I was also there for that) and leave the rest alone. They call me back after, say the windsheild is done but now the car won't start. They can't get any readings with the computer and that my ecu is fried and that its because of the soldering job. They want $450 for a new ecu.
    Does this seem right, I don't really believe them about the ecu being broke. I also think it was wack that they pulled the ecu because of the dv and exhaust.
    Any suggestions? I was thinking of going up there tonight since the car is outside and seeing if the ecu is really dead. --

Where are you mellis and what would you advise this person and future chippers to do?
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    If this 1.8T is still under warranty raise a stink and insist they replace the ECU because it's obviously defective. If they hem and haw, push more with a letter, then contact the local TV station that does consumer advocate junk.

If this guy's got a friend who's a lawyer, have the lawyer fire off a note on his letterhead - mention small claims court, etc. Obviously tell this guy not to mutter a WORD of actually chipping the car. It's far better if the lawyer believes his client is telling the absolute truth. My guess is if this joe's got a lawyer sending a letter with threats of a lawsuit and publicity over poor service and accusing the man of activities they can't prove, then they'll slip in a new chip and let him be.
  • SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    Straight from the Vortex:

"All 2002 model Volkswagen vehicles (except maybe the Eurovan) will have this warranty:

- 12 year unlimited distance Limited Warranty Against Corrosion
    - 5 year or 60,000 miles Limited Powertrain Warranty
    - 4 year or 50,000 miles 24 hour roadside assistance
    - 4 year or 50,000 mile Limited New Vehicle Warranty

Free maintenance has been eliminated."

It's about bloody time.
  • sprouty1sprouty1 Member Posts: 9
    To the person asking about Colonial VW vs. Partick's: I am from Spencer (near Worcester) MA though I now live in Philly. Anyway, over the years we've bought 5 Saabs and 3 VWs from Patrick's and they are WONDERFUL from both a sales and a service perspective. Colonial always refused to dicker and the service folks there don't seem as professional or as well-trained regarding their products. Patrick will do you right! In fact, I still use them sometimes even though I live 350 miles away!
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    Who in their right mind would want to go through all of that just to chip their car? Even if nothing did happen, I wouldn't even want that in the back of my mind.
    I haven't chipped my WE just yet, but I expect next year when I'm longing for more performance out of the car I'll pop the $400 chip into it.

If you get a chance, drive a chipped 1.8T (ideally with a sport suspension or aftermarket suspension work). The difference is extreme. With a good chip the torque comes on like a monster and the car can easily pull to 60 in 2nd gear. I've never seen hard numbers on the difference the chip makes but my seat of pants reaction after driving a friend's chipped 1.8T makes me want to chip my WE.

For most people it's probably not worth it to chip. I know plenty of girls who insist their basic 4 cylinder Jetta is plenty powerful...for them that must be true. Heck most people think the standard Jetta handles well too. I'm still not really satisfied with the sport suspension on my WE but for now it will do. A few times this week I've found myself hitting an on-ramp or off-ramp curve at 50-70 mph and getting the feeling the car's near the break off point. That's a little too sloppy for my tastes.

Karl Flaig
    Editor@blue-guy.com
    can do for the 1.8T, I wanted to get one. Don't get me wrong, the performance gain is incredible for $400. I just wouldn't want to have deal with what moparbad posted, no matter what kind of gain I got. Even if nothing happened to my car, my piece of mind would be flushed down the toilet. My point is, who wants to go through litigation if something does happen? Who has TIME for litigation? Who has the money to repair what breaks if VW wins? Certainly not me. It sounds like a big pain in the you know what.
  • newcar32newcar32 Member Posts: 1
    Newcar31,

you mean you wanted to get a Jetta, a chip, or a chip for your Mazda??
    I wanted to get a Jetta 1.8T and then chip it, but decided not to because of warranty issues. I would have been breaking the bank just to pay for the car, let alone fix something that isn't covered under warranty.
  • mellismellis Member Posts: 150
    The bottom line is that the law states that VW has to prove that the chip caused whatever warranty failure you are trying to get VW to pay for. If they can prove this then you get no coverage. If your turbo fails, or DV you are probably out of luck. If you have a suspension problem they cannot deny.

Its a risk, no doubt about it. I have to say that I will not go back to a non-chipped 1.8t - the difference is HUGE. But I am willing to take the risk.
    ...of chip do you use? I've heard the same things regarding VW having to prove the chip caused the problem.

Still, I'd love to get feedback from others. A friend of mine chipped his 1.8T with Nuespeed (or is it Neuspeed?). Nice nice stuff. Power came on hard around 3k until about 4500. It was like getting punched in the gut.

Karl Flaig
    editor@blue-guy.com
  • woohahwoohah Member Posts: 14
    I was wondering what peoples opinions are about the two engines, reliability issues, speed, acceleration, experiences.
  • dl42dl42 Member Posts: 1
    I'm getting ready to buy a new Galactic Blue GLS. I've read some about troubles with keeping the velour seats clean. I'm trying to decide between black and grey. Can you guys comment with your experiences? Thanks.
  • akanglakangl Member Posts: 3,281
    I have a 01 Jetta GLS 1.8T Tornado Red with a black velour interior. That car is torture to keep clean, I have finally given up. The car has 8300 miles on it and looks like it has 183,000 on it. I hate letting anyone near it. I was cleaning it once or twice a week but now I just don't care to try and keep up with the lint. The velour attracts everything and I mean everything. If you can afford it go for leather.

I will only have my Jetta for a few more months and then it will be sold. I certainly won't miss the interior.
  • mellismellis Member Posts: 150
    I had the APR and it was not aggressive enough for me. Changed to the GIAC chip last Tuesday. World of difference. Very driveable around town but when you stop on the gas - WOW!

You just need to use your head with a chip. If you are driving the car aggressively then let it idle for a minute before you shut down. Change the oil often and use synthetic. Don't stop on the gas hard with the A/C on.

I trade my cars every 2 - 3 years so longevity is not an issue for me. I want the cheap performance boost. If I was going to keep this car for 100,000 then I would not chip.
  • bluejettabluejetta Member Posts: 272
    Ahh yeah...They do attract the lint. They look beautiful when clean and horrible when they're 'dirty.'

But, they are very easy to keep clean. Some use those lint-roller thingies and they work okay, but by far the best and easiest thing to use is the Pet Hair & Lint Remover from Simple Solutions.

Their lint remover looks like a sponge brick. Weird little thing, but man! Performs magic on the lint-loving VW seats and makes them like new in just minutes.

We bought ours at our local pet supply store and it was less than $5. If it wasn't for this thing, we'd be tearing our hair our because these seats are incredible dust/lint/sweater-ball magnets like I have never seen before.

You can see this item at http://www.bramton.com

-Jim
    http://www.jettaownersclub.org
  • obmotobmot Member Posts: 61
    I now have 270 miles on my new WE (yikes that's 2 months of miles in less than 2 weeks!). I am very happy with it, and here are a few mentionables:

Got brackets for Panasonic CD changer ($23 from VW Parts). Changer supposed to arrive Monday, woo-hoo! Will advise on my padded install/skipping.

Got my first "blemish" the other day: Pulling into a driveway, the front dipped as the driveway rose, and the bottom front/right scraped the black area of the bumper. I have scraped 3x now, even despite trying to be very careful. The nose really drops and is prone to scraping when going into driveways/parking lots, etc. Jetta owners beware of this!

Mileage: I am a bit disappointed, my first tank average is 19.1 mpg and that is very conservative driving (havent gone over 5K rpm yet) and all in the city (have only been in 5th gear once). I hope this mileage improves as the car breaks in a bit. I havent even used the a/c that much despite living in Houston. I have noticed, when using the a/c, that it takes a good 5-10 minutes before the air coming out is really cool. Hmmm, maybe the compressor needs time to get going.

My interior is black which is very sharp, but indeed every lint/dust/dirt shows up. Car requires lots of vacuuming, etc. The exterior is galactic blue, also very difficult to keep clean. But when clean - the car looks very smart.

That's about it for now!
    I bought the myriad of parts required for the CD player today. And installed it. What a pain - getting that connection out was impossible.

One thing, after putting on the VW brackets, when I slid the player down into the holder it seems I can't screw either bracket to the VW's pre-formed frame. Anyone else have this problem? Anyone have any suggestions or should I just leave the CD player floating in there? It's wedged in super tight, but both supports are a good 1/8 inch from linging up with their respective bracket holes. Ideas?

BTW, I've got 362 miles on my WEEK old WE already. Someone wants me to drive to LA tomorrow (round trip should be about 250 miles), but I think I'll pass. This car is a lease afterall. Once I break 300 miles a week I'm treading on dangerous ground for the future.
  • balticjetta18tbalticjetta18t Member Posts: 146
    Sorry bout your scraped chin... Got my first one on a REAL steep driveway that I got ballsey and drove up like a maniac. Did the same driveway 2 weeks later slowly with no chin scraping.
    P.S. Don't park your Jetta right on top of those concrete parking stops with your front wheels as the larger ones and ones with the vertical steel rods can pull and rip off a bumper cover in a hurry.
    Should I buy the VR6 or 1.8T?
    Anyone out there buy a B-2-B extended warranty to cover beyond the 2/24 year deal. I am making a decision as I now have the cash to do so. My dealer locally sells and services with one specific company only. Yeah I know that would be safe but won't necessarily cover roadside assistance or maint. as covered by VW Factory Warranty extensions. Anyone who has the VW Factory Ext Warr please gimme some feedback. THANX
    It depends if u want a 5speed or Automatic Tranny.
    I will be getting the manual no auto for me.
    Reason I ask is that I have heard or read of some problems with the Auto Tranny in the VR6 model but none to speak of in the Auto 1.8T. (correct me anyone if I am mistaken) Either way the VR6 mated to the 5speed will be be severely powerful, almost dangerous. The 1.8T 5speed will be lighter and quicker on handling with less body diving. Either car should have @ min. the sport suspension to better harness the power. The 1.8T was unknown to me @ first as I thought I only wanted the VR6 5speed. I am extremely happy with the Turbo car and the economy is quite more with the 20V, I4 vs. the 12V VR6. Drive em both to make your best decision. WE edition for the 1.8T could be a great value for U if Turbo and manual is your decision. Have Fun & Good Luck !
    Yeah the 5-speed 1.8T combo won me over too. I thought I wanted a 5 speed VR6 until I drove the two back-to-back. 1.8T won for me hands down after that.
  • plugbugplugbug Member Posts: 27
    Blueguydotcom-

I had the same problem lining up the CD changer brackets with the VW's frame. I was able to screw in one side but had a really hard time on the other side. But after I loosened and tightened the screws connecting the bracket to the changer, I was able to get it all screwed in. Give that a shot. It's a hassle -- I spent a sweaty half-hour inside the trunk playing with it -- but it might work for you.
    Thanks for the suggestion, plugbug. Getting that connector loose from the Jetta's insides was a nightmare by the way.

Karl Flaig
    Editor, BlueGuy
    Blue-Guy.com, Driven by a Different Point of View
    OK heres my story about the Panasonic changer

It came today via UPS from LogJam Electronics ($195 + $49 cable, no tax or shipping).. Box arrived intact and sealed, my changer was born in April the same month as my WE (good karma I spose!).

I first attached the brackets from VW parts to the side of the changer, then went to the trunk (getting eaten alive by mosquitos). I connected the interface cable to the Jetta trunk harnass without any problems, it just plugged right in and went "click" (I didnt have to remove and false insert or anything?). Then I plugged the round end of the cable into the unit.

I got a piece of 1/2" packing foam and cut it the size of the base of the changer (this is the grey sponge-like packing foam) and put it into the trunk cubby to buffet the base of the changer. I slipped the changer in and - as you might guess - the hole sdidnt line up well, and were probably more offset because of the foam on the bottom of the cubby. With a fair amount of manipulation I got the "front" screw (towards the engine) securely in, but that made the rear screw hole even more misaligned. I couldnt get it in until...

I got a second screwdriver and "wedged" it's handle between the trunk wall and the VW bracket, which forced it close to the CD changer bracket. The holes lined up and I tightened the screw, then I removed the screwdriver from between the carpeted trunk wall and the VW bracket. This worked very well for me (the screwdriver handle was about 1 1/2" in diameter). I drove back to work along a bumpy road and puposely hit the potholes, etc. and no skipping at all (so far). The sound is **amazing** compared to the radio.

Is there a way to 'advance' thru a track, i.e. skip from the beginning to the middle of a track? My sony did that and it's a feature i'll miss if the HU wont do it. Otherwise it works and sounds great. For anyone with skipping issues, consider removing the unit and putting foam down there. If you cant get the holes to line up, do the 'front' screw first (engine side) then wedge something between the carpeted wall and the VW bracket to force it into line with the CD changer bracket hole.

Hope that helps sorry for the winded message.

PS install time 30 minutes, 214 mosquito bites...
  • fischdafischda Member Posts: 272
    but I think I will only do so with my dealer's blessing. I have a very good relationship with the service guys and mechanics. I haven't yet, but if I ask them, they'd give me the straight poop. I hope they'd say, "tell you what, let us install it for you for (cheap), and then if something goes wrong, VW can't blame you for modifying your engine yourself." I'll ask them next week when they replace the air exchange valve that got fried (emissions system).
  • five11five11 Member Posts: 2
    Sorry, but the Jetta just isn't that great.
    (We have a 2000 Jetta GLS)

Poor paint/finish, scratches too easily.
    The engine is rough, loud and noisy,
    the trunk release gets stuck (no way to open it MANUALLY!)
    The engine burned oil for the first 20,000 miles -- who ever heard of THAT!?
    Finally, there is the creaky suspension in the front -- that did not go away even after multiple visits to the dealer. All they did was lube it and "continue to check it." Of course, this means that the problem would be 'blown off' until the warranty runs out.

Oh yes, there is the front bumper. Ever scrape a curb? Eventually this will cause the bumper cover / air dam to fall off. This is a design flaw. VW says this is "an insurance issue."
    NO, ACCIDENTS ARE INSURANCE ISSUES. DESIGN FLAWS ARE VW ISSUES!

Plain and simple, we are not interested in another VW. Not a Passat and certainly not an A4, and don't you dare suggest another Jetta!
    There are plenty of Hondas, Acuras and Volvos to satisfy us, and if VW really doesn't want our business "there are many other salespeople that do."

Why is it that a HONDA can go over 5 years and 110,000 miles and never visit the shop (mine did!)
    but my wife's VW can't go 21 months and 36,000 miles without falling apart!?

You get what you pay for ... except in VW's case, you don't!
  • wntajettawntajetta Member Posts: 12
    I bought a white Wolfsburg with beige interior and I must say it always looks good. I've gotten a lot of compliments on its looks. I know the Wolfsburgs have a different interior with the "sports seats" but I have had ZERO lint problems. The beige sporty cloth always looks good I MO. I have had the car since march and have never vacuumed or rolled out a lint brush on it and it looks like new. If anyone out there is considering a WE take a serious look at he beige over the black-it's very classy looking and low maintainence!

S. I'm single and don't cart kids around but I have had lots of friends in the back and aside from a few scuff marks everything still looks good!! Yea well I do have neat friends! :)
    Well my parents had a Honda accord, talk about design flaws!!

Rusted to death, front quarter panels rusted straight thru you could see the road!

Entire dashboard cracked and slowly fell "into" the car over a period of years.

Air bubbles in fuel sytem meant stalling a few times a week.

And worst, the heater died and could not be repaired or replaced by Honda. My parents live in Wisconsin. Until they junked the car (no dealer would take it as a trade in, and the shelter-for-boys (those places that take donation cars to fix and resell) even refused it) they used BLANKETS in the car to stay warm since heater core could not be repaired.

My favorite was the washer fluid jets for the front windshield that were too powerful AND missaimed, so when you tried to use the washer fluid, it squirted clear OVER the car! Useless (well, except for the car behind us that might need its window/hood blasted with fluid).

Care to ask my parents if they like their old accord or my Jetta better?

The point is, everyone has bad experiences with various types of cars. You hate your Jetta, my parents won't even buy Japanese much less Honda any more after the "Disastaccord."
    "Poor paint/finish, scratches too easily."

Depends on what you do to any car. From my experience just about all new cars have lousy paint jobs, with only the high-end German makers applying anything close to good paint. But the driver's road choices, parking decisions and other factors (cleaning/waxing) play a role in this too.

"The engine is rough, loud and noisy, "

Which engine? The I-4, like ALL 4's is pretty rough. I've never enjoyed the feeling of the I4 on any car. At least the turbo on the 1.8 gives the engine a nice strong feeling, like a mini-six.
    But as you mention later the engine burns oil and the suspension is rough...could be a sign someone abused the car.

"the trunk release gets stuck (no way to open it MANUALLY!)"

My 2001 has a keyhole right below the VW symbol. :)

"The engine burned oil for the first 20,000 miles -- who ever heard of THAT!?"

Yet again, depends on the engine and the break-in and the quality of driving. No offense but your wife may be a terror on her car. Or maybe you did get a lemon. Still letting, VW get away with not correcting the "burning", while bemoaning it to others sounds rather passive agressive.

"Finally, there is the creaky suspension in the front -- that did not go away even after multiple visits to the dealer. All they did was lube it and "continue to check it." Of course, this means that the problem would be 'blown off' until the warranty runs out."

Again, the creaking, the scratches, the oil burning could all be a result of the driving style, the locale, etc. Furthermore, why would you allow a dealership to push you around? I agree that dealers are rather belligerent, but with a little push and a few suggestions they normally toe-the-line.

Just a few thoughts. Hope you enjoy your Camcord or Civic next time.
    how when people come to a discussion about a certain car and then rag on that car, others jump to the defense. Try going to a BMW discussion and saying one "falls apart."

All I can say is that my 2000 GLS 1.8 has been great (13K miles)! I've had these minor problems to deal with:
    1) Valve core leaked on tire - replaced at dealer
    2) Rear cup holder stuck - unstuck by dealer during routine service visit
    3) MIL light came on - Shield on lower air dam removed (it's not supposed to be there on turbo models - it was a factory mistake). Caused an air exchange valve to fail - to be replaced next week at dealer (no effect on driving, just emissions).

Dealer's service has always been excellent. When I have car problems (VW or Toyota - my other car), I find it useful to come here and ask "has anybody experienced this?" I usually get answers or at lease moral support.

I DON'T find it useful to come here after the fact and say, "this car is a piece of crap." We're here to help. I think you got a lemon, five11, sorry - happens to all makers.
    Obmot-

So you put the padding beneath the changer, on the bottom? That's a good idea. I'll give it a try. As for FFwd'ing from the beginning to the middle of a track, hold down that scan <> button beneath the volume knob. Have you figured out how to use the MIX feature for all the discs, not just one? And refresh my memory -- did you get the Monsoon?
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    When I first started reading this thread almost 2 years ago now, it seemed like there were alot of problems with the Jetta (right after its redesign). Now, the problems are few and far between. I stayed away from the VW when I got another car, because I was scared of quality problems. Reading this thread today (with hardly any problems now), I wish I would have considered the Jetta a little harder.

Also, what is the MIL light? I have never seen that light before. What does it mean, what makes it come on, and what is its function? Thanks!
    Yes I cut a rectangle of 1/2 gray packing foam and simply put it in the base of the cubby before sliding the changer in place. I am not sure if it helps or not, but I figured it couldnt hurt and since adding foam helped skipping problems in a Blazer CD install.

I hit some real nasty downtown roads yesterday and did not have any skipping.

Yes I have the monsoon. I havent figured out multi-disc mix yet. But when I press the <> button below the volume knob it goes to the next (or previous) track, and what I am looking for is a way to scan thru a single track (i.e. fastforward thru a single song as it plays, most CD players have a way to do this). Maybe I need to press and HOLD the <> button to advance thru a track instead of press once and jumping to the next track?
    MIL stands for "malfunction indicator light." On the dash, it's a yellow engine symbol and the word "check." It tells you you have some sort of problem with the emissions system. If it blinks, the manual says drive at reduced power to the dealer at once. Mine stayed on and the car performed normally. When I took it to the dealer, they hooked the computer up to an analyzer and found the descrepancy with the turbo's air induction caused by the air shield being installed in the lower air dam.

Most MIL indications are minor, do not affect engine performance, and do not indicate severe damage. In my case, the lack of air to the turbo caused an air exchange valve to burn out. Again, nothing serious and an easy fix under warranty.

The car's been a pure joy!! You bought a 2001 protoge, didn't you? I like that new 5-door! It's very Euro-looking.
  • k_h_bk_h_b Member Posts: 54
    Hey All! Haven't posted in a while, I used to post on here quite a bit I believe when I was getting info about my baby. I purchased a Gal blue/beige interior all options Wolfsburg in february of this year. I had my 10,000 mile service a little over a week ago. Only one problem that I can find.. and boy did I look.. I was fussing with my one touch up and down about a month ago and it wouldn't come up with one touch.. then after a few moments it would work again. Has happened once or twice since then.. No biggie just odd.. VW tech had never heard of it. Other than that My car has been FLAWLESS. Its very hard for the beige seats to look dirty, I do admit the black dash attracts dust fairly easily but an armor all wipe or two and you're set for another couple weeks. It does get dirty very easily, I try to wash it every week hehe, doesn't work that well. The engine just keeps getting better, i get 350 miles on a tank driving in the city very easily now.. once you stop blasting off and revving the hell out of it gas mileage will get better, lol :). Oh and I don't drive THAT much, 5,000 miles of the 10,000 miles was a trip to Washington/canada and back from Wisconsin. I am still utterly impressed with the build quality, quality of materials, features, power, styles , looks.. EVERYTHING. Only thing i've added was put in a Sony Xplode cd player.. Has the fold down face, same colors as the interior, it looks Fantastic , works well with the monsoon too, more adjustments. Those of you out there who are interested in a new Jetta You really can't go wrong, the wolfsburg is a fantastic model.. I wouldn't get any engine but the 1.8T or the Diesel, the 2.0 has realiability issues, burning oil-loud-average performance, and the new 24valve vr6 201 hp is coming this fall. The only regret I have is not getting 2.9 financing for wolfsburgs lol :) Pardon my rambling.
    Vroooom =]
  • bmcadoobmcadoo Member Posts: 17
    Sorry if this is off track, but I don't know where to post it and I thought the Jetta TH would be best.

I am in the SUV market and recently read that VW is developing an SUV. Is this true? Can anybody tell me any details on this (release date, specs, etc)?????

Thank you!!
    Obmot-

Isn't it sweet having the Monsoon and the changer? Man, this stereo absolutely kills. I've heard that changing the HU and replacing it with something like a Blaupunkt or Sony improves the sound even more, but I'm not one of those guys who needs a sub-woofer and bone-rattling bass and all that. To these ears, it sounds just fine...

Anyway, to FF and REW, hold down that <> button below the volume. As for using the MIX feature on all the discs, do this:

-Press and hold down the SCAN button until the VOLUME option appears. This is the default setting for the volume when you turn on the unit.
    -Press SCAN again. The HU should read "MIX1."
    -Turn the volume knob so it reads "MIX6."
    -Press the SCAN button again.

You're all set, and the MIX mode will sample from all the CDs. Enjoy!
  • jcp5jcp5 Member Posts: 9
    I have owned my Tulley(NH) 2000 Jetta for approx. 1 yr/39,000 highway miles. Here are the problems I have experienced...
    * The car burns oil rapidly between oil changes and requires maintenance
    * My drivers side window fell into the door the other deal and after the secretary told me there was nothing they could do today (mind you, it was raining and I had a 1 hr commute home) I had the manager “help”...I was charged $200.
    * The sunroof is broken (its $85 just for VW to look at it)
    * Now the check engine light is on (I'm told just to check this there is a $68 charge)

Please note that all of these problems are not due to misuse of the car...at one time I ran a car detailing business and I treat the car very, very well and have been disheartened by its problems.

VW service is near horrible and the workers are very unsypathethic to any problems. Since its not one problem that recurs over and over I don’t qualify for the lemon-law…a loophole if you ask me.

I will never buy a VW again.

Feel free to ask me any questions.
    Ayecarumba.
  • goblue96goblue96 Member Posts: 33
    I purchased the extended warranty to 60,000 miles. Best decision I could have made, my '99 has had a host of problems. First of all VW's electrical systems are a joke; 4 tailights, 2 headlights, 2 turnsignals, 3 brakelights, 2 interior lights, and 2 dashlights in two years. I have also gone through 3 gloveboxes! Luckily, the warranty has covered everything. Even after all that, I still love my Jetta. It's great looking, has a good engine, good handling, and is just plain fun to drive. Just be friendly with your dealer, you'll get to know him.
    I too opted for an extended warranty. I've read the horror stories and figure if I'm leasing the car for 45000 miles I want to be sure the only expense I pay for is the lease - the warranty added $14 a month. Pretty easy to justify if one $500 problem pops up.
  • hooopshooops Member Posts: 64
    Was the extended warranty through VW or a 3rd party ?

I'm looking into leasing a GL (auto or manual) with the
    same terms you have and will definitely want an extended
    warranty. Just out curiousity, do you know what MF and
    Residual were used in calculating your lease ?
    My local dealer does not promote the VW factory warranty. They sell & support a regional local company because of their satisfaction with claims. They do take direct payment with the dealer. My service advisor there said that things like squeaks and rattles would not necessarily be covered. My brother recommended that I do shoot for the factory warranty to have no question on these possible issues. In addition the factory extension goes in the computer service records for VW nationwide. I called my purchasing dealer in Texas and they quoted me $896 for a $0 deductible; 60 mos/72K mile deal to extend the 2/24 B-2-B and is the PLATINUM vs. the Gold program. They are sending me papers to check out and make my decision. My objective is to have 100% coverage B-2-B while my 60 month loan is being paid. This warr. also starts as of my original delivery date. I think they gave me this price as to get my business since I am out of their state and have already taken delivery.
  • divewreckdivewreck Member Posts: 50
    I'm the proud owner of a 2000 GLS, which I bought last month with 15,000 miles. I've been reading this board & was skeptical at first re the Jetta & the 4-banger automatic. I can honestly say, after driving 2,000 miles already, that not a single problem is evident. The engine is adequate & I get 30 mpg (hgwy).Still, I took the extended warranty up to 75K. Cost me $1100 but feel it's worth the money
  • maroon95maroon95 Member Posts: 26
    hello all.

i just bought a Jetta GLX 2001 with all the possible options...that's right, the 17" alloy-wheel with the sports suspension package, etc...i opted out for the CD changer...going to get an Alpine at Tweeter in the Boston area...

anyway, i paid $24,900 for it...still wondering if it's a fair price...a friend of mine said it's too much for a Jetta...he would opt for the Passat or Audi...

he's against the Jetta for a few reasons, but one it is that it's made in Mexico, thus quality build is questionable...

what's your take on the matters?

thanx.
  • goblue96goblue96 Member Posts: 33
    balticjetta18t: I got the VW factory warranty for just the reasons you mentioned, namely nation-wide coverage. It's great to know you can walk in to any dealer in any state and have your car worked on, usually for free. From what I've noticed, the other dealers seem to be receptive to the factory warranty. A guy in Michigan even plugged my tire for no charge after I got a flat right in front of the place, a pleasant surprise.

Hooops: Sorry I honestly can't remember my quoted residual, I'll see if I can dig it up.