Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen Jetta 2005 and earlier

Comments

• justinjustin Posts: 1,918
    a V6 Passat for $29k is loaded, 16" wheels. and yes, you are right, the Passat is not a car that handles as well (read: exact) as the TSX, but the Passat is not bad. and for the record, the only out the door $29k V6 Passat (not W8) has 4Motion, unless you are an idiot and pay sticker :) also, the Passat has exceeded Accord in resale value...the TSX doesn't even offer AWD. each car has it pluses, but the TSX is far from superior. it is a HONDA.

and of course the TSX has no torque steer - you have to have TORQUE to have torque steer. you saw that comment coming though, right? come on, you HAD to...

and lastly, lets get a little real here, you didn't buy a TSX, did you? ain't all that after all, is it? haha. :)
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Posts: 6,257
    Had I not scooped the deal on my BMW, I probably would have gone with the TSX. It was fun, nimble, loaded, comfortable, could fit actual adults and offered an amazing value. There's nothing else in the 20-30k range that matched it, IMHO.

After my 20 test drives or so I can say I gave most makes a fair shake. I'm an anti-honda guy but a founder at my company (a porsche owner) convinced me to try the TSX because he bought one for his girlfriend and loves the car.

BTW, I clearly pointed out the V6 passat with leather, tip and ESP had an invoice of 26k. Is that loaded? It doesn't seem so considering it still lacks many luxury features.

Jettas for 20-22k are great little cars (far above their traditional econo-box competitors) but once you break into the mid-20s you're up against a whole different group. It's not much car for 25k, IMO.
  • danny2003danny2003 Posts: 13
    Hello:

Has anyone bought a Jetta GLX in NC/VA recently? How much did youy pay?

Thank you,
    Danny
    Assume invoice or within $100-200 above or below that. Any dealer who won't go to near invoice doesn't deserve your business.
  • venus537venus537 Posts: 1,443
    anybody who has posted here with any regularity knows that blueguy is far from a honda enthusiast (that would be me). So if he's positive on the tsx, it must be a very good car. The car is rock solid.

If your going to complain about the TSX's lacking torque, you might as well think the Jetta's 1.8t is lacking too. Every body (even some published road tests) notices that the TSX peak torque is at 4500 rpms, but don't notice that 90% of it is available as low as 2000 rpms. You can throw in electronic throttle response and no turbo lag.

The Passat matches up more with the Accord than the TSX. Both the Passat and Accord have their own strengths. But, I will go for a v6 accord ex for the price of 1.8t GLS Passat any day though. The gauges on the new accord are a delight even if they're not Blue. The gauges on the TSX are awesome and even have Blue lighting.

The TSX just has a pretty interior in every aspect. The Passat no doubt has a well assembled interior with high quality parts, but the layout looks dated with not the best ergonomics.

Were talking about the some pretty darn good cars here that come down to personal tastes. Were not talking chevy impala or buick regal here.
  • adg44adg44 Posts: 385
    You are comparing a 24v VR6 (which is an expensive engine) to a 2.4L 4 banger.

That is why you have a price difference.

Basically certain people just look for certain things in a car. Each car (jetta and tsx) have their own strengths.
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Posts: 4,085
    #1 in my book is RUST RESISTANCE.

VW has a 12-year UNLIMINTED MILAGE warantee from the factory.

Honda does not back up their vehicles like that.

Lets compare the VW / HONDA after going thru 12 years of Vermont winters and see which vehicle will pass the state inspection.

I will even let you apply RUST PROTECTION to the Honda before we start this experiment ;-) (I have tried this too... the Honda still rusts into a flintstone-mobile)

Why 12 years? I takes me at least that long to save up enough cash to purchase the next vehicle 8-)
    i agree - a Jetta in the mid 20's is a little much. but really - i don't think you can get a jetta to cost that much. sure, you can get a loaded GLX, but again, i hope no one actually pays that much :) good little cars, in the high teen/low 20 range. can't beat em at that price point.

i am seeing so many of those platinum gray ones around here it is getting disgusting. used to be my favorite color on them...
    i don't think you can get a jetta to cost that much. sure, you can get a loaded GLX, but again, i hope no one actually pays that much

If you want the VR6 the best you're gonna do is about 23k for a GLI. If you can't drive stick then it's the GLX.
  • Thanks to everybody for the good feedback on the v6 Jetta.

I will recommend to her that she at least test drive a TSX to see if it suits her.

Thanks again.
    that 2.4l engine is pretty sophisticated in itself. anyway, i don't think honda was using the four banger to keep the price down, but to save weight over the front wheels.

an i4 accord or 6 are not as fast as their v6 companions, but are more balanced cars. the penalty for being FWD.

houstonship: keep us posted on the car she eventually gets.
    has anybody heard from vocus and the status of his car?
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    Sorry, been working double shifts at my second job due to a special project this past week.

I heard from the body shop on Friday, and they had sent the car for a thorough cleaning. They need to find out if the dash needs replacing or not, they haven't decided yet. They did start the car and put it in gear, and it wouldn't move, the guy said. Wonderful. He said it was probably becaue of all the stuff being disconnected inside, but that remains to be seen. They still have not done the 3rd estimate. Friday was 4 weeks.

The body shop guy also said all the parts were on order, and I should get the car back in another month or 2. Since they have to replace the gauges anyway, I am going to probably get the GLX cluster with the trip computer put in. It's about the same price as the GLS one, so why not? A little extra bonus for going through all this crap...
  • adg44adg44 Posts: 385
    if you get the glx cluster (MFA) you are going to need the new windshield wiper stalk to control the MFA, and I think there is some wiring involved. Not quite sure, but there have been a few posts on "the other site" about it.

- Anthony
  • chmeeeechmeeee Posts: 327
    I am actually installing the Euro cluster pretty soon myself (its waiting for me on my bedroom floor). You do need the new wiper stalk, some wiring, and the temperature module. I assume this is all the same for the GLX cluster. For the money, you may want to look into getting the Euro cluster instead, it looks much nicer in my opinion. There is a great thread with everything you ever wanted to know if you run a search on the ever important TDI website not to be mentioned.
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Posts: 1,391
    too bad...Impex has specials on the Euro cluster for the TDIs only, for $400 with the related accessories to install.
  • LanceL99LanceL99 Posts: 39
    Hello all! I just bought a used 2002 Jetta 1.8T that has the Monsoon stereo system. So far I like the car pretty well (I drive a lot of miles and was killing my new FX35 with too many miles).

The Monsoon stereo doesn't seem real great. Has anyone upgraded this stereo system in any way? I'm thinking new speakers, subwoofer, or some combination thereof. I don't want anything crazy, but just something with nice clean sound. I also don't want to spend a bunch. I'm spoiled in my FX35 (the Bose unit in that is absolutely outstanding - comparable to the Mark Levinson in the Lexus). I just would like something a little better in the VW. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!
  • ruking1ruking1 Posts: 15,160
    I think the quality of sound is in the ear of the beholder, or probably more importantly, the pocketbook of the beholder. I have a Bose system in a Corvette Z06 and the words adequate and less come to mind. In a very real sense all factory units are compromises. I have the 2003 VW Jetta TDI GL, so the Monsoon is a "step up" from my unit and to me, it is adequate and less for an inexpensive car!
    I had planned to do this one, since the cluster needs replacing anyway (might as well get something out of this drama, eh?). They said it would be about the same price, but I would have to add the temp sensor and the stalk, which I knew. I started a post on 'the other side' about it already, so respond there if you would please.

To add to the list of replacements: Basically everything inside but the door panels and dashboard. The interior handles, visors, headliner, radio, stalks (I think), auto shifter, front and rear seats, and carpeting will be new in the car. Still waiting on a 3rd (or 4th, I have lost count by now) estimate on the car, still rests at $6000.

They said I might be lucky to get the car back by August or September... (insert tears here)...
    You might want to look into the wiring on the head unit (depending on how adept you are at such things), or have the wiring repaired at a VW dealer. Most Monsoon systems have the wiring for the drivers side speaker reversed, so you only get base out of the other three speakers. The sound should be greatly improved by simply fixing this problem, maybe even enough that you won't want to spend more money on a stereo. Email me if you want some more details.
    Wow, that really sucks. I hope you at least have a rental, since you will have it for the rest of the summer it seems. Think of it this way, when you get your Jetta back, it will be a brand new car all over again on the inside! (just trying to find something positive in the whole situation)
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Posts: 4,085
    (LanceL99) Chmeeee is correct, the 2002 Monsoon was mis-wired thus causing the speakers to be "out of phase". If you know anything about electronics, this means that the BASS is effectivly cancelled out.

Here is the link to the "Monsoon Fix". It even shows you how to make the 'tools' to remove the head-unit.
    http://www.vwmkiv.com/monsoon.htm
    my car doesn't have the Monsoon, but the factory did neglect to even pull speaker wire to the passenger door side speakers. the first owner of the car never noticed! i took it to the dealer, they looked at it, and just took the dash off, found the wire harness, and pulled it through to the door, and, viola, all set. lovely workmanship and quality testing, huh?
    I know what you mean, thanks. I do have a rental, but with the coverage I have, I have to pay some tax on it as well as 10 or 20% of it (I forget which now), which comes to about $5 a day. One good thing is that State Farm is going to go over my rental limit, since they took so much time to investigate what actually caused the fire. They never did give me a straight answer either. They said it was not started by the car, but they don't know how, whom, or with what.

I have a Lancer now. I want my car back really badly...
  • dancermandancerman Posts: 220
    Our 2002 Jetta has a Monsoon System. We have never been happy with it. After the first head unit failed, the dealer replaced it. But.... the sound quality has always been poor. It sounds weak and monotone. This is true only for the radio. When you listen to CD's, it's a very nice sound. I have asked about this wiring problem but the dealer says 'never heard anything about that'. Does my description seem to fit the wiring problem symptoms? I think I will try to pull out the head unit and at least look at the wires. This car is driven mostly by my wife so I don't want to mess it up. But short of looking at the wires myself, I don't think I'll get the dealer to fix it. Did ALL 2002 Jetta have this problem?
    Yes, as far as I know, all Monsoon equipped cars did have the problem. You would think when they replaced your head unit it would have solved the problem however, but I would definitely suggest taking it apart to check it out. Follow that link that bpeebles gave earlier, it has a full how-to with pictures.

http://www.vwmkiv.com/monsoon.htm
  • dancermandancerman Posts: 220
    Well... the way I understand this Monsoon problem, replacing the head unit doesn't fix the wiring. Right? The dealer would have had to swap the wires and I am fairly certain they didn't do that. I will check it out. The vwmkiv.com link is pretty straight-forward.
    Good point, I was forgetting that all the wires go into a wiring harness, not directly into the HU. Good luck, let me know how it goes. I still havent gotten around to fixing it on my car.
    I went to see the car today after it's been cleaned out. Only the dash and the 4 door panels are in it still. No headliner, no seats, no carpeting, nothing. It STILL smells like smoke inside. Ugh.

Day 33, parts still on order. Estimates still to be done. This is going to be a wonderful summer, eh?
  • kupper25kupper25 Posts: 30
    I would appreciate some quick help from the collective knowledge of the posters on this board.

I am seeing some difference in front tire wear on my daughter's 2001 2.0 Jetta. The front passenger side tire seems to be wearing somewhat faster than the front driver's side tire. Brings up the question: is the front passenger tire the 'drive tire" on this vehicle, therefore subject to some additional wear? She is usually the only person in the car so it is not heavily loaded.

Also, any comments about using forward or backward cross when doing the tire rotations on this vehicle? (She has the OEM Michelins on it which do not appear to be uni-directional.)

Thanks.