Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen Jetta 2005 and earlier

Comments

• fish8fish8 Posts: 2,282
    Good luck with your car shopping!!!! Let us know what you end up getting.
  • justinjustin Posts: 1,918
    i can't help but be in here. no one posts in the Cabrio forum :( so i have to be in VW area somewhere, and i don't want to hang in the Passat area, no way, haha. seriously, having owned 2 MK4's, someone might ask a question one day that i can help with. BLUE - maybe you should KEEP the little blue gem. i dreamt about my Jettas the other night. i still miss the "machine gun" locking mechanism when you first start driving. my car doesn't do it.

vocus - congrats! just what you always wanted (kind of). lets see, you need something big, but something reliable. maybe a used 02 Altima. the interior will be kind of crappy, but you are in a Lancer currently, so it won't be too bad of a change.

let us know!
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Posts: 6,257
    Sorry, the ole Blue Gem is not very comfy for me. I've gotten used to my supportive sports seats and perfect driving position. I feel like I'm driving a truck when I'm in the Jetta now. :(

My drive to LA the other day was a bear in that car. I can only dream of what it'd feel like to drive my 91 stanza now.
  • hoodornamenthoodornament Posts: 114
    Vocus, the way I see it this is a "win win" situation for you. You can step out of your current commitment (which if I remember you were upside-down on) and have total freedom to "GO CAR SHOPPING", you gotta love it.

I only wish that happened to my Passat, I would love to upgrade to the GLX which I would do in a second if I wasnt upside-down on my financing on my GLS. The deals on new cars right now have been better than they ever have been, good luck to you.
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    I just got to the point where all the little niggling problems were ironed out and I really liked the car. It was upside down a little (with this used car market, I think everyone is a little upside down), but I didn't plan on getting rid of it any time soon.

Car shopping when you have one week, not alot of cash on hand, and 2 jobs to work around isn't as fun as it could be.

The only reason I am happy is because I knew the car would never be right again and would cause headaches for the rest of its life. I pulled my tags today, and seeing the huge pink SALVAGE sticker on the passenger window about turned my stomach.
  • dgluthdgluth Posts: 49
    Right now all they have is the low APR, I am hoping for them to give some rebates or the manufactorer to dealer support. Does anyone know or suspect if the incentives will be changing soon? Looking to buy at end of summer or early fall.

Thanks
    Dennis P.
    ..is over for now. I got my new car tonight. No more rental, thank God!
  • sandman46sandman46 Posts: 1,798
    What did you get? Tried to e-mail you but it got returned as undeliverable.

The Sandman :-))
    03 PT Cruiser Limited Edition in Cranberry.

I work for Chrysler, so I got a helluva deal ($250 below invoice, 1.9 APR for 72 months), so I am happy with it. My car payment went DOWN $125 a month, and insurance went down about $10 a month.
  • sandman46sandman46 Posts: 1,798
    Very cool car. Down here in the Ft. Lauderdale area, there are lots of those puppies running around and the cranberry color is really sharp!
    Congratulations on the new ride and hopefully this one will be with you for the next 5 or so years!
    Cheers!!!

The Sandman :-))
    Thanks. The car is pretty sharp looking, and has lots of room inside as well as cargo space.

Just in case, I actually got a warranty for 5 years/100,000 miles on the car. I want to be sure everything will be ok for at least that long. This one might actually be around long enough to be paid off. :)
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    Interesting car choice. I'm a bit surprised considering your desire for a fast car...But, hey, I guess those low payments can be quite enticing :) I knew you wouldn't buy used....hehe
  • AnakinAnakin Posts: 410
    Why not get a Turbo PT? Those things are just as fast as the 1.8T Jetta. My wife loves the PT and there's a chance we will get one of those once we pay off my Jetta.
    The Turbo PT was over my payment and insurance cap. I wanted a car that was a good deal less than the VW was because I have other plans in my life at this stage than to pay for a car.

Don't get me wrong, the Jetta's a nice car. But my credit wasn't the best when I got it, and the interest rate reflected that. I got a Chrysler because I work for them and got a killer deal first, but I do like the vehicle alot. I also needed more room (for my dog and my niece and nephew as they grow up) than the Jetta provided.
  • Wow.. you got a really great interest rate. However, I would have NOT financed a Chrylser for 72 months!! They depreciate very rapidly, and you will forever be upside down on this car. I hope you have good GAP on this loan too. What I have heard from numerous sources is that if you have to finance for more than 48 months, then you can't afford that car. Sorry for the financial counseling. hehehe

Enjoy the NEW car!
    Thanks for the advice. I did get GAP insurance on this car as well. I will never own another car without GAP, I think it should be a law that you have to get it.

I could have gotten 0% for 60 months, and it would have still been less than the Jetta's payment I had. I wanted to stretch it out a little though because I wanna use money for other stuff as well as the car. The car was also about $2500 less than MSRP and $250 below even dealer invoice, so I have some equity to 'play with' there.

I can always pay it off early if I want to. Also, with the interest rate, it shouldn't be upside down. I also drive alot less than I used to as well, so that will come into play.
    Congrats on your new car. The PT is a pretty cool car. I have read allot about it from it roll out and they give it great reviews (except for power). Also, which is surprising for a Chrysler, they have great reliabilty records. Car mags actually praise the car.....
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Posts: 4,085
    Some questions...

What is "GAP" insurance? (GreatAutomobilePerformance, GreenAccessoryProtection ;-)

Why not finance for as loonnnggg as possible if the rates are exceptionally low AND one plans to keep the vehicle for over 12 years?

Is it not irrelevant what the "bluebook value" is on a vehicle if one does not plan to sell it?

Should I have paid CASH for my Jetta? (although I plan to keep for over 12 years) I thought it was best to put my CASH into higher-yeilding returns if the loan rate was below that. (It takes me 12 years to save up enough money to purchase the next vehicle 8-)

The only financial benifet I can see to purposely shortening an auto loan is that it would allow one to remove that pesky, expensive collision insurance and only carry liability.

Am I missing something else here?
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Posts: 4,085
    The main thing that turned me off from the PT was the fact that it is really just a NEON with a different body on it.

think about this:
    How can the NEON have such mediocre reliability while the PT crewzer does not?... is it the clientele that purchase the PT are less critical of the vehicle? Are the clientele that purchase the NEON harder on the vehicles?
    This is an automotive myth that has been passed around for the last few years.

The base 2.4 liter engine came from Chrysler's minivans.

The early Pronto concept cars were based heavily on the Neon's floorpan and mechanicals, but as the Pronto evolved into the PT, Chrysler found that it just couldn't get the Neon platform to work with the twist beam axle and Watts linkage. So, someone logged onto the CAD station and whipped up a new platform, which borrows from Mopars past and present, but shares very few parts-bin bits with them.
  • justinjustin Posts: 1,918
    congrats on the new car. stop parking in ghetto areas with this one!! :)

the cranberry looks nice. do me a favor - DO NOT PUT WOLFSBURG STICKERS ON THIS ONE, haha.

just think, you can also use cheap gas now!!

oh, and don't be fooled. you don't have any equity in that car. in order to have equity, you would have needed to pay about $14k for it. "equity" and "brand new car" are terms that don't ever mesh, unless you put down thousands and thousands. in which case, you lost money anyway.

keep this one - my mom keeps her American cars until they die. her 95 Grand Am has 300k miles on it now, her 95 Stratus 100k miles. no engine rebuilds, only maintenance and lots of brakes.
    I really thought the PT was based on the Neon platform. Hmmmmmmmmm
    Should I have paid CASH for my Jetta? (although I plan to keep for over 12 years) I thought it was best to put my CASH into higher-yeilding returns if the loan rate was below that. (It takes me 12 years to save up enough money to purchase the next vehicle 8-)

You're correct. I keep beating my friends over the head with this. One person stated she had 20k and she was going to buy a new car. Straight out! Uh, if you can get a 0% loan for 5 years and you plan (as she did) to keep the car for 7, then finance it! People just aren't very good with money. Simple as that.

BTW, I'm fairly certain the PT and Neon share a platform.

http://www.automotive-technology.com/projects/pt_cruiser/

http://autoreviews.com/chrysler/pt-cruiser_2000.html

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2004/chrysler/ptcruiser/100288269/road- - testarticle.html?articleId=44277&tid=edmunds.e.roadtests.cont- - ent...Chrysler* "Its Neon beginnings shine through in the Cruiser's excellent suspension tuning, responsive turn-in and minimal body roll."

Um, excellenting suspension on a Neon? To each his own.
    The PT is on a platform originally derived from the Neon platform.

That's a lot different than saying "it's a Neon" as if it was simply a re-skin.
    That does not sound like what you originally stated. I believe that the price was kept down on the PT due to the fact is was based on a Neon.
  • chmeeeechmeeee Posts: 327
    The Neon actually does have very good suspension. Just look at how many of them you see at Autocross races, and how good they usually manage to do.
    The Neon actually does have very good suspension. Just look at how many of them you see at Autocross races, and how good they usually manage to do.

The last words that come to mind when driving a Neon are "good suspension." On a scale of 1-10 (dumptruck being a 1 and racecar being a 10) i'd place the Neon at around a 3. Maybe a 4.

Of course my displeasure with my few neon rentals resides mostly in the engine, drivetrain, transmission and interior materials/refinement. How that car is sold is still beyond me.
    I said the PT is NOT a Neon.

The platform was originally based off a modified Neon platform, but is generally considered to be a "new" platform, often referred to as a "tall wagon" or "light truck" platform. (I think they might have been able to squeak it in as a light truck, which relaxes the CAFE requirements) There may be some shared bits here and there, but the engine came from the minivan line (although the new turbo engine may be similar to that in the SRT-4, I'm not sure) and overall there is enough difference that it's really not fair to say the PT is a Neon.
  • ccozadd1ccozadd1 Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Volkswagen Jetta that is no longer covered by warranty. The "check engine" light recently came on and I want to take it to an honest mechanic to have it looked at. I live in Los Angeles (on the west side). Can anyone recommend a mechanic?
  • donnabgooddonnabgood Posts: 37
    Hey Vocus, congrats on your new car..sorry your car was totalled, but maybe in the long run it works out for the best.

So you work in Chrysler Finanacial now, eh? I work as a Finance and Insurance Manager for a Chrysler dealership

The PT is a very nice car, and the limited is nicely equipped. Saving 125 a month on payments has to feel like the best luxury.. :) Chrysler have some great cars, if only because they are Diamler Chrysler now and share a lot with MBZ. If I would guessed which car you would have chosen from Chrysler aftwer the Jetta my money would have been on the Liberty. Lately I have noticed the same people who lease Jetta's trade them in for a Liberty lease.

I think the PT comes with a 7/70 powertrain warranty now too, so you're good..

so interesting to hear you are a big believer in Gap insurance..I sell it all the time to clients, but have just recently found out some insurance companies automatically give it with their policies.. it's worth talking to your insurance agent everyone and finding out if your policy has it..leasing contracts always include gap insurance..

anyway enjoy your new car..

I am still in the 02 Jetta 1.8t.. can you beleive only 8900 miles after 1` year of ownership.. oh the benefits of working close to home..

next car is the NB Cabrio or Audi TT or Crossfire if all goes well.. ha ha fun to dream..

Donna