Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Jetta 2005 and earlier

Comments

• justinjustin Member Posts: 1,918
    Thanks! I paid $22023 for my Jetta. Got 5.5% thru VW for 60 months. I know for a fact my deal was the not the best one to be had. I really just didn't feel like haggling....I felt it was fair. They gave me what I wanted for my trade (especially considering it was in an accident) and I got the good finance rate. Hope that helps. Mine is 2002 GLS 1.8T, Tiptronic, Leather, Luxury.
  • sarah233sarah233 Member Posts: 161
    I am looking to buy what you have except manual transmission--does the GLS 1.8T with leather/luxury come with power adjustable seats? Just curious...
  • mencius01mencius01 Member Posts: 6
    Hey - the GLS can come with leather / luxury packages (moonroof and uh Monsoon stereo) but the power adjustable seats come only on the top of the line GLX ...
  • AnakinAnakin Member Posts: 410
    You know, I had a power driver's seat in my Accord, and I thought I would miss it, but I really haven't. I suppose once I get my seat in its position, I don't move it much after that.

I guess if you like to adjust your seat a lot, you might miss the power.
    as you have seen, the GLS, no matter how loaded it is, does not have the option of power seats. The excellent thing about VW seats is that there is a myriad of adjustments and ways to have your seat. The settings are not preset like they are in lots of cars.

Loving my car so far!! I hate driving it in the city...so many potholes and crappy roads. It handles them well, but I know it is going to start making the car rattle. But, I have to get to work, so I have no choice.
    Thanks for the input. I guess it just seems a little strange to me to have nice leather seats that you have to adjust manually....but I don't think I can afford the GLX. Whichever one I get I think I'll enjoy it more than my '99 Civic. I'm getting tired of it already.
    a 2001 Civic EX for my Jetta. Like night and day driving wise.
    my mom's had a couple jettas that I always liked driving, except the clutch is weird on her '96. i feel like my civic has NO power. was thinking about upgrading to an accord, but it just doesn't seem as fun as the jetta. i like the fact that the hondas come fully loaded without having to add too much stuff, but now that the CD players are coming standard on the jettas and the 1.8 seems like a pretty good deal with leather/luxury, i think i'll try it.
  • phishockeyphishockey Member Posts: 24
    Anyone know when the new Jetta is coming out. I've heard April...also, anyone know pricing?
  • flacaflaca Member Posts: 168
  • vwguildvwguild Member Posts: 1,620
    I really don't see what they could do to improve the classic Jetta styling anyway....:)
  • flacaflaca Member Posts: 168
  • agarc1agarc1 Member Posts: 2
    I love my new Jetta! The lemon stories sound awful though... I hope my car doesn't have many problems... My car came with one minor defect, a headlight was not working. It was fixed immediately though. Since then I have not had any problems.
    Since the pause in production buyers have been limited to the cars that are already on the lot. So I ended up getting my Jetta without leather. Well, the velour cloth is kind of annoying... It does look nice but collects lots of lint. However I recently bought a sticky-lint-tape-roller thingy and the lint is gone. So this is not really a problem any more. I just recommend ordering a GLS1.8T with the leather package (dealers usually order a prepackaged car like the one I bought: GLS, 1.8T, Monsoon, Cold Weather & Luxury).
    To my surprise I find the manual seat adjustments to be very easy to use...I guess I didn't need the power seats after all. And I love the seat heaters... this option will be a must for my next car.

My only real minor gripe about this car: CD Players are dealer-installed (until Spring 2002). I had to shell out $400 for parts and labor(dealers were out-of-stock at time of purchase)... But it looks/sounds great...

What a great first car!
    Galactic Blue/Beige Velour GLS, 1.8T, manual, Cold Weather, Luxury, Monsoon.
    Over the past two days I have noticed that my new Jetta makes some noises. Only when driving over inner-city bumpy streets, somewhere over both front doors, a noise happens. A "rattle" perhaps. It does not make any noise when the road is fairly smooth.

Is this normal? Is it going to get worse? What could the dealer possible do to fix something like that? Should I even bother?

Otherwise, car is GREAT.
  • fischdafischda Member Posts: 272
    FYI folks,
    I've had several valves replaced in my 1.8T after the MIL light came on. Let me say up front that the defective parts did not affect the performance of the car at all, and that dealer service was excellent. My only complaint being the 18 days it took for a part to come in.

The first time, mechanic discovered an air shield installed in the front right air dam that isn't supposed to be there on the turbo engined model. It was removed, and an air exchange valve that burned out was replaced.

Weeks later, MIL light returned. Dealer found two valves in the emissions system had gone bad, replaced one and ordered the other. MIL light stayed on because one valve wasn't working. Part finally came in and was installed. Reset MIL light, and has been running clean ever since.

Anyone have problems like these before. Again, service was great and I'm happy - love the car!
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    Get it fixed. Take it in soon. It may or may not get worse. I have the latter problem. Next appt is Monday...hopefully I'll be rattle fee for the first time since week 4 of ownership. :)
  • blackjetta18t1blackjetta18t1 Member Posts: 278
    they'll get worse and more numerous
    the service guy said the doors might need adjusting....we shall see. i promised myself i was not going to be mental about this car. all cars have flaws/issues. if mine is a small rattle, i will try to live with it. will keep you all posted.
  • xudxud Member Posts: 32
    Justin, my 1.5 month old Jetta 1.8T also has rattle from the left door if there are bumps
    on the road. In NY I have to wait for more than a month for an appointment. I might just wait
    till my car gets to 6 month old or 5000 miles if the rattle is not getting more serious.
  • parkjkparkjk Member Posts: 1
    for those of you who have just bought new jettas...just trying to get a price range of what you paid for your cars. i'm looking to buy gls, 1.8t, auto, lux package... any insight on what kind of deals you got would be great!
    I got my GLS 1.8T two weeks ago:

Tornado Red
    Luxury Package (15" alloys, heated seats, moonroof)

Monsoon stereo

Tiptronic Auto

I bought it for $700 below MSRP, with 5.9% financing. I don't know if this is the best deal I could have got, but I'm comfortable with it, considering the car is a 2002 and just hit the market. :^)

Good luck.
  • obmotobmot Member Posts: 61
    For anyone who wants to know how far the gas peg can fall...

My fuel light was on for 2 days or so, and after it went on i probably drove about 40 miles (note: in city i average only 19.1 mpg w/1.8T, no a/c), and the peg was just to the left of the last hatch mark, but still touching it. While turning at an intersection in town, the motor suddenly died, but fortunately I reacted quickly and was able to roll into a very conveniently-located gas station and stop in front of a pump. Good thing Jettas keep rolling!

Fuel capacity of Jetta listed at 14.5 gallons, I filled with 16.4 gallons last night. Hmmm.

It's interesting...in the city the 1.8T gets almost exactly the same mpg as my 1988 Ford mustang 5.0.

- tommy
    Wow, I've pushed it to the light and only been able to squeeze in 12.5 gallons, so I figured I had only the published 2 gallons left (roughly 48 miles).

BTW, the motor "suddenly" died? You drove for two days with the light on! LOL
  • lise526lise526 Member Posts: 12
    Thanks for the info about how much you paid for your car. Mine was a little less but its only 2.0. The dealer did not want to go down on the silver.

Now I'm really confused, do the new 02's come with the standard cd yet or not? I'm about to go down to a dealership to find out because I'm so curious. Thanks!
  • joemc3joemc3 Member Posts: 8
    Do you think it'll quicker and more reliable than all the Jetta's?
    I would suggest that, even in the interest of
    research, you do not push the envelope with regard
    to forcing this great PowerPlant to suck up all
    the garbage that exists at the bottom of your gas
    tank...

Fuel Injected engines do not like running on low
    fuel, try running out of gas a couple of times
    and the engine will spite you and it will never run the same again...and, to make it run the same
    again will be very expensive, and there is NO GUARENTEE that it will REALLY BE THE SAME.

Just an FYI...
    in the car and driver comparson, i think the sentra tested was a Spec V and it was slower than the Jetta turbo. As far as reliability, that may go to Nissan. However the Jetta is nicer, I'm sure safer, and much more pleasing to your senses. On another note, I drove an Acura RSX tongiht. Very nice car, not crazy bout the design but it had a great engine and auto trans with a very responsive Manu-matic, and more stick like than the tiptronics which are more like video games. It had a great engine sound to, but still, the solid feeling of the Jetta prevails, especially since when my friend closed the RSX door, it made a hollow ding, unlike the Jetta ca-chunk!
    Car and Driver comparo was a pre-production model. That's a significant fact. All early indications from other mags have the SE-R spec V easily outhandling the Jetta and outgunning it. As for reliability, that's a no-brainer when compared to a VW. Nissans, especially the VQ stlye engines have been bulletproof. Really the only downers of the Sentra SE-R Spec v would be the interior, refinement and safety. If you're looking for more raw fun, reliability, a 6 speed and limited slip, then the Sentra is your cat.
  • agarc1agarc1 Member Posts: 2
    GLS/1.8T/Manual/Luxury/Monsoon/ColdWeather
    MSRP: $21,800
    What I paid: $20,422 with 5.9% APR

CD players are still dealer installed until Spring. I had to pay $400 for mine (single in-dash; $280 + labor)... I know I could have gotten a better player for cheaper, but I had to have the one that matched the car. And I love it. ;)
  • bingrubingru Member Posts: 6
    Just bought my jetta today.

I got GLS with sports luxury/leather/monsoon, silver color.

And I paid $22,921, invoice for that car is $22,721. Is that a good deal? I got so tired of haggling at the end... CD came with the car, no extra charge.

VW is offering special APR, so I did a 2 year term for 0.9%, quite a good deal. 3 year is 2.9%, 4 year 3.9%, and 5 year 4.9% I believe.
    for the previous message, it's a GLS turbo instead of a GLS.
  • freespecfreespec Member Posts: 25
    Hi bingru,

Can you break down your price according Edmunds option packages? I couldn't quite get your quoted invoice number right. Also my dealer told me the best financing I can do is 2.9% for two years. Never heard of .9%. Are your sure of the rates? Sound too good to be true.

Thanks,
    Hi freespec,

I actually got the invoice price from carsdirect.com. Theirs seems to be more accurate, the option package is more detailed than that on edmunds.com.

So according to carsdirect.com:

jetta GLS 1.8T silver with
    1) automatic transmission
    2) cold weather package (included in leather package)
    3) leather package
    4) sports luxury package
    5) sports suspension (included in sports package)
    6) california emissions

The invoice price is 22,721.(including the destination charge)
    you can find the special APR info on edmunds.com, under incentives and rebates, under the price and incentives tab. URL seems to be too long to be pasted here.
    oops, sorry forgot to include the monsoon sound system in message 2493.
    IS part of the sports luxury package. if you read the description for the sports luxury package, you will see that it is.
    Is part of the sport lux package, my cousin has a 02 1.8T with it, sticker says it, and I'm pretty sure the VW website includeds it as well
    Sports Luxury Package/GLS VR6 & 1.8L Only...
    Includes Power SunRoof, 17" Wheels, & Sport
    Suspension...$1788/$2025
  • greggt007greggt007 Member Posts: 7
    is there really a diff between the 01 and 02 jetta 1.8t? i heard it before and the salesman mentioned that the 01 was tested as around 190 hp. i am just thinking the engine is the same and it is a marketing scheme.
    also, is this a good deal?
    02 1.8t/in dash cd/lux package 19700 before tax?
    Mine was installed at the factory. My car was made in 9/01. The sales guy mentioned that all the ones that came in on the truck with mine, that were GLS or GLX, have the CD/cassette combo, standard. And will from now on. I think people are seeing Jettas, even 02 Jet, that were made in 8/01. Those do not have the CD standard. When it is added at the dealer, it is a seperate item. My stereo is big, there is no more storage area above the stereo like there was in my 99 Jetta. Also, that storage area was filled, and will be filled, by the "after assembly" installation of the dealer CD player. I like my new combo stereo, the buttons are bigger. A lot more intuitive than my old one...
    Hmm, I guess when you have the changer, you get the tape player with no up-front CD, and you get the storage cubby in the dash.

I wish I had the changer *and* a CD up front so I could keep favorites in the changer and swap out the one in the dash player. Oh well.
    my CD/Cassette combo is the exact one in the Passat.
  • chapterchapter Member Posts: 4
    Mom finally wants to buy a new car to replace a Taurus.
    What dealer in NJ, near Wyckoff would be the best?

She wants a 2002 Jetta GLS 1.8t Automatic.

How much over invoice should she pay for a White Jetta without Leather or Sunroof.

Thanks,
    William
    Current:
    2000 Audi A4 1.8T
    2002 Merc C240
    Past:
    1998 Jetta GLS
    1999 Passat GLS
    2000 Passat GLX

Dealers within 20 miles:

Joe Heidt Motors, Corp.

Jack Daniels Motors, Inc.

Lakeland Automotive, Inc.

Gensinger Motors, Inc.

Palisades Volkswagen

East Coast Volkswagen

Three County Volkswagen Corp.

Trend Motors, Ltd.

City-Line Volkswagen

Potamkin Volkswagen, Inc.

Metropolitan Volkswagen

DCH Essex, Inc.

Prestige Imports

Mayer of Westchester, Inc.

Douglas Motors Corp.

Koeppel Volkswagen, Inc.
    I'm in Demarest, not that far away, I bought mine from Jack Daniels from Louis Fernandez, nice guy, he'll hook you up nicely. Service there isn't great, but for a good deal call up Louis Fernandez, he's the internet sales manager and tell him Ali Shariat recommended you, he'll take care of you seeing as how I've given him the business of 4 people in 6 months.
  • uploadinguploading Member Posts: 1
    Which Jetta should I purchase and whats the difference between all of these models?
  • mlayton694mlayton694 Member Posts: 45
    Just curious, if you spend $22k plus, why didnt you just go with a passat for another $1k. You can get the 1.8t, leather, lux, monsoon(manual though) for like $23,600. A lot bigger, a lot nicer to me

Never driven a jetta, Im sure youll be happy either way but just curious.
    Later
    Umm, why don't you read through the Edmunds Jetta information? They list all the features and differences.

http://www.edmunds.com/new/volkswagen/index.html

I'll give you the nutshell account, and you can go read more if you want.

Bascially, there are three trim levels.

Base: Jetta GL

Mid: Jetta GLS

Top: Jetta GLX

The base GL is available with the 2.0 gasoline engine, and the TDI diesel engine.

The GLS is available with the 2.0, TDI, and the 1.8 Turbo or VR6 engines.

The GLX is only available with the VR6

I would say that the GLS trim level allows the most variation in options and features, since you can get it with any engine and most of the options available on the GLX.

Hope this helps.

• dill6dill6 Member Posts: 120
    The 'Traction Control' system that appears to be standard on the Jetta- how does it work and is it much help in snow packed or icy conditions?

Also - I've heard some new Jettas have serious oil consumption problems and that VOA isn't addressing this problem very well - true? Any other quality/reliability issues?

I'm coming from an all-Honda past and am pretty nervous about buying a VW, but I love the car!
  • mlayton694mlayton694 Member Posts: 45
    Design ho-hum and soccer-mom on Passat ? Yikes, Id take the Passat look over the Jetta anyday, Jetta looks like more a "girl-car", very "cute". Not to mention, any guy that is over 5 foot 6 aint fittin into the backseat in Jetta for a ride over 1 hour. Jetta good for midgets and guys who think their image needs improving, someday you can be a squirt drivin an A4 instead of a Jetta. Overseas in Europe the Jetta (the BORA hahahahaha) is laughable because it is so "form over function". Lastly, you are driving a Mexican car instead of a true German car.,