Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2000-2011 Chevrolet Malibu

Comments

• dindakdindak Posts: 6,632
    It could simply be that your brakes need an adjustment. I would bring them in now, no need to wait. according2me is right, you should take it easy on the brakes for a few hundred miles, it says so right in your manual which I suppose most people don't look at.
  • DANGIT! IT LOST ANOTHER POST!

WHAT THE HECK! COULD THESE SERVERS ROT ANY MORE?

A splendid post down the tubes....AGAIN!

some Malibu banter, of course

then some rant on Deknee Green and Vikes losing 2 NFC title games, one to Chris Chandelier (now a Bear) and the Falcons, after Randall is instructed to take 'DeKnee' and Gary Anderson misses his only kick all year. And of course the extreme 41-0 loss to the NY Giants a couple years later.

Also my unbeaten fantasy team was up 31-10 going into tonights game against my unbeatne opponent and Payton Manning throws SIX TD's and I lose 34-31!?!?!?!?!
  • Sorry, buddy, but the Dolphins were off this week, and I basically could care less. I needed a break too.

Malibu brakes. I totally agree. Take it in NOW. Doesn't sound like you're starting off on the right foot. Once the dealer has "at it", you should be just fine for many happy miles ahead.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Harry, what happened to your promised review?
  • Whew. I was wondering the same thing. When he said he had had a bad weekend with the hosts, I was afeared they had X'd it (I thought perhaps he had said a bunch of negative things about the Bu....yeah, right).

Where IS that review? I just hope he hasn't been typing on it full speed for like twenty-seven hours or something!

(And no, there is no criticism of the hosts in this post or from me, they do a WONDERFUL job, as I have written both them and their superiors many times...moderating here is a tough job, esp with the likes of Harry and me around! :)

And, oh yeah, here's to you Pat, from our IMPALA days, you will understand:

MALIBU
  • logic1logic1 Posts: 2,433
    We may ask questions about quibbles to verify if the quibbles are subjective or objective, but we want to see the quibbles as much as the praise.

(Reg: if the Vikes keep playing like they are now, this is not going to be a lost season. They demolished San Fran yesterday. Wow!)
  • dtownfbdtownfb Posts: 2,915
    mazda: Give it a few thousand miles before you have them checked out. I had my rotors warp at 21k miles and they were replaced under warranty. The front pads went at 28k, not replaced under warranty. I believe the unwrritten policy is if the rotors warp before 12k miles, Chevy will replace both the rotors and the pads. After that point it is just the rotors. Which is understandable since the pads are wear items.

The malibu is simple to maintain but I've had more warranty work on my 32k mile vehicle then on my last 3 vehicles combined. Also the engne is starting to get the infamous V6 gargle the small blocks are known for. Nothing wrong with it but definitely louder now then last year. It is a nice vehicle but my second year of ownership was not as nice as the first year. I fully expect to have the intake manifod gasket fail. And the tread on my tires are low and will need replacing sometime this spring.

Good luck on the Malibu. Just keep up the maintennace and keep posting on this board. Most of us can help you if a problem should arise.
  • dtownfbdtownfb Posts: 2,915
    wpbharry: Can you give us a ful review on ONE post? It's really hard to follow your experience esp. amongst the other postings.
  • Hi All!

I have a 99LS with 73,000mi on it.

I have been reading through this board to find a solution to a problem I have been having, namely the fan controls have stopped running on settings #1 & #2. Numbers 3,4,5 still work. These are the previous messages I have found in this board related to this problem:

#1026 of 2459 AC CONSOLE PROBLEMS by speedy581 Jul 21, 2002 (7:02 pm)
    I have a 99 LS. It seems that the AC panel has its own mind. The AC light (and compressor) turns on and off when it wants to. Same thing with the "recirculated air" button, it likes to switch itself to the "outside air" button. And lastly, the #1 and #2 position of the fan blower doesn't work... all others do.
    I've tried to pinpoint the problem by checking fuses, opening the console and checking switches and wires, but it all looks OK. It seems to me the problem does'nt come from the controls but from somewhere else. Does anyone know of this problem and how to fix it? My warranty ran out.

#1028 of 2459 speedy581: A/C and fan not working on the 1, 2 speed by yurakm Jul 22, 2002 (5:20 pm)
    is a common problem with Malibu. I had it in summer 2000.
    Just a bad resistor. It was fixed under warranty, but according to paperwork it cost something like $25. 1/2 hour of labor at most.
    The other problems you mentioned is either A/C, or its the lights going on and off by themself. I have no first hand experience, but there was several reports on this board

#1031 of 2459 to yurakm and czanfardino, thanks. by speedy581 Jul 23, 2002 (1:07 pm)
    Yurakm... do you know where this resistor is located? So that I can replace it.
    czanfardino... I had read your first message regarding this and found it interesting. I don't understand the logic behind it but I might give it a try before going to the dealership or getting a new panel board.
    Anybody else have any suggestions???

If I missed any postings or answers, please let me know. I am not possitive that replacing the resistor does/doesn't work. Where is the resistor located, etc?

Yes, I also have the problem with the A/C controls going in and out, but given my location, I can live with it during the summer, but I HAVE to get this fan control fixed, seeing as fall is here and winter is coming soon!

Not to rehash old topics, but here is a list of other problems I have had:
    Replace rotors/pads (@37,000 - yeah timing sucks)
    Replace fuel level sensor in the fuel tank
    Replace passenger front bearing
    Replace transmission seal (where C/V joins the tranny, I noticed fluid when changing oil)
    I have also noticed some 'moisture residue' around the intake manifold, but no consistant leaking, and no measurable loss of fluids. And, it's time to change the pads again, probably due to where I live and how I drive. I am almost done with the payments and would love to keep the car a few more years, dispite a few problems.

Anyways, thank you in advance to anyone who can help.

Tim G
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Tim, did you use the "Search This Discussion" feature on the page bar? I just mention it because it is somewhat new, lots of folks overlook it and it is very helpful.
  • Yep, had the same problem with mine, over and over again (3 times). So did a friend with his Malibu.

It IS a fan control issue. Won't be exactly cheap, if you don't have the extended warranty.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,614
    this is kind of scary, but let me get the 'bu part out of the way first. my mom bought an '03 a couple of months ago, so i've been monitoring this board. so far, so good.
    had an 89 sho, for about 3 years. took it up to 6500 rpms in 5th one time, never did the other 500 before the redline though. had a couple other iterations after that one, too.
    fyi saabs, we have a 9-5 se wagon, a 9-5 is 29% german, 22% swedish, according to the sticker.
  • fine by me. still like that saab. local paper running an ad for new 9-3's today as low as 21,100. +/-
  • Someone please kindly tell me where exactly it is (next to what, etc), and what should be leaking from it to indicate it wants to be fixed.

Thank you!
  • Thanks for the reply. Nope, no extended warranty. I do a lot of work myself, and would like to find out exactly needs to be replaced. Is it just the resistor as mentioned in a previous post, or is it the whole fan control switch assembly? Thanks for the clarfication.

Anyone else have any specifics?
  • wpbharrywpbharry Posts: 399
    When you're under the hood, keep a close watch on the coolant level. That was my clue.

When it starts losing, then the manifold has had it.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,614
    any comments on when to have it done?
  • But I've read that a little bit of coolant would be lost anyway (evaporation?), and that a slight top-up is required maybe once every 6-9 months. If the intake manifold is broken, what would be the rate of the coolant loss?

Also, what happens if you do not fix the broken intake manifold?

Thank you!
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Posts: 2,287
    a. I have a four year old Impala LS with 135,000 miles. It has yet to lose the first teaspoon of coolant.

b. If you do not fix a leaking manifold, water gets into the oil, and you will blow a head gasket. This is not good. Can you say $3500? Or so?
  • deminindeminin Posts: 214
    I always change the oil and filter after the first 500 to 750 miles. All engines will generate small metal shavings, etc., as the parts break in. Most of them will occur in the first 500 miles, and be trapped in the oil filter. Then, I change it again at 3,000 miles, and every 3,000 after. I really don't trust oil to go 7500 miles like the owners manual states, unless its synthetic. But really, the first oil/filter change is the most important..don't let it go too long. This little bit of extra maintainance has served me well..haven't had an engine go bad on me yet.
This discussion has been closed.