Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2000-2011 Chevrolet Malibu

Comments

• if cars like the Malibu were bad no amount of incentives could move them.

The Malibu, for example is a better car in a number of respects (fuel economy and price bieng a few) than the accord, but many people have this perception that the accord is just the better car, offering a crazy incentive would get people with that perception to reconsider, and those who buy just saved themselves a load of money on a superrior product for simple, comfortable, fuel efficient transportation.
  • Thanks tricky73: I had my steering column replaced around aug. 27. So far i haven't had any more problems with it.e2helper dircted me to a document on the nthsa site that revealed the new components had been incorporated in the replacement steering column in feb 2004.Sorry i had not responded sooner but i was having trouble login in to the forums web site.
  • beedublubeedublu Posts: 236
    "The Malibu, for example is a better car in a number of respects (fuel economy and price bieng a few) than the accord, but many people have this perception that the accord is just the better car"...

Good point...I test drove a Maxx and an Accord LX, back-to-back, over the same roads and within an hour of each other. The difference in the driving experience was *so* negligible. And the Maxx gives me 25% more horsepower, side-curtain airbags, traction control and a ton more cargo space all for less than the 4-cylinder Accord. (And not even counting my GM Card rebate).
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    The 2005 Accord has side impact and side curtain airbags standard, the Malibu does not. Are thoacic bags available for the 2005 Malibu or is it still only the side curtain with no chest protection? The Malibu is a very good value, but its not on par with an Accord in terms of execution. Its darn close though, and GM should be proud. Where does the Malibu fall down for me? Interior materials quality is significantly improved over the past, but it doesnt approach Accord levels, nor does the Malibu offer the Accord's superb electroluminescent instrumentation. ABS is still an option on the most basic Malibu, as well.

~alpha
  • e2helpere2helper Posts: 1,002
    For the 2005 model side airbag option on Malibu include thorax bags in front seats to go along with the side curtains.
  • maxx4memaxx4me Posts: 1,341
    I drove the two side by side as well. I think the Accord is much more refined under the hood. However, as a complete package, the pendulum swings the other way.....the Accord can't touch the Malibu in overall value, convenience and design.
  • And the Malibu 4 (ecotec) should be as refined under the hood as the Accord four cyl, but I have never driven an ecotec, so I wouldn't know.
    What i do know is that the little bit or extra execution in the accord accounts for and insane premium when compared with the malibu. And the Bu might not have some features standard (hence the price) but you could get them and still cost less than a comparable accord. Don't forget the incentives and GM card. The Bu is a killer deal, the only other reason to buy an accord is that type of styling, but the G6 will more than handle that :)
  • 307web307web Posts: 1,033
    Might as well forget about the ecotec when the V6 get's such good mileage.
    The V6 Accord is much more refined, but pricewise, you would compare the V6 Malibu to a 4 cylinder Accord, then the Accord has much less advantage.
    A stripped Malibu compares to a Civic.
  • 37453745 Posts: 152
    Highway mileage for the Ecotec Malibu is 38mpg. Acceleration of the Ecotec Malibu is neck and neck the same as the 4cyl. Accord. The Ecotec has very good low end torque and a very responsive transmission. Twin balance shafts give the power delivery a turbine like feel. I have easily achieved 90mph and could have gone higher if I had wanted to.

A stripped Malibu compares to a Civic? No way!
  • 307web307web Posts: 1,033
    Pricewise it compares to a Civic since a 2005 Civic LX goes for about $16,000 and you can get a plain 2005 Malibu discounted to that price.
    Some people say they have managed to get nearly the same gas mileage with the V6 as the Ecotec.
  • bh628bh628 Posts: 100
    Hi, what's the GM card? I am just starting to look at domestic cars, after falling in love w/a Camry LE V6. But I have long legs, and the Camry doesn't have deep seat pans for thigh support. I am hoping that the Chevy Malibu does! Since I am looking for every way to save money on my '05 car, I would love to find out about the GM card. Thanks, I'll probably be asking other newbie questions, but I'll try looking over old posts first. i have concerns about vibration from adjustable pedals (I heard that vibration is a problem somewhere) and about this electric steering.

Thanks so much!
    GM has a deal where they will let you take the car for a whole WEEKEND. they do a credit check to make sure you buy the car first. info in 09/04 Money Magazine.
  • 37453745 Posts: 152
    Ok, pricewise it compares but not performance wise. I misunderstood you. In any case the 4cyl. Malibue is still better if you can get it for the same price as a Civic.

The V6 Malibu gets better mileage than the 4cyl. in mixed driving ie, city and highway, whereas the 4cyl. gets better mileage on the highway.
  • yurakmyurakm Posts: 1,345
    GM card is a credit card (Mastercard) issued by some bank (Household?), but co-branded with GM. You use the card as any other credit card. You receive 5% back toward purchase of most of GM cars (not Saturn and Saab usually), subject to time limit (7 years) and limit for any specific model.

Even small charges count. E.g. during the year you are spending $3000 on groceries, $2000 on gas, $1000 on phone and Internet. $6000 total, or $300 toward your new GM car if you charge everything on GM card. In 5 years it will be $1500 of free money. Even before accounting for big purchases, like computer, furniture, or car repair.

Not all merchants accept credit cards, but you will be surprised how many do. I am charging visits to doctors and dentists and auto insurance on the card, but cannot charge life insurance. Charging cable, and Internet, but not electricity. Local phone, but not long distance (my provider accepts card payments, but it takes too much time). Parking, but not haircut. Chinese restaurants, but not McDonald.
    I just happened upon your post, and I just got so dissappointed. I have long legs, and also find little thigh support in cars. I was thinking about the Chevy Malibu, after givig up on the Camry. Consumer reports lets you search on "thigh support." I haven't tried the Malibu yet.
    But after your post, I am really dissappointed! I don't know what to expect, now! :(
    You aren't the only one with this need. Although I am a 5'8" woman, my legs go up about 3" taller than my 6' husband. I notice that your posting was almost a year ago. What did you decide on getting? Thanks, J
  • I haven't seen that article, but that's basically what I just did this past weekend when I traded in my '03 Trailblazer for an '04 Silverado Z-71 ext. cab pickup. I went looking on Saturday, but by the time we were ready to talk numbers, most of the financial institutions were closed for the weekend. So I drove the truck on the dealership's gas all weekend, then returned Monday to work out the paperwork and complete the deal. We did sign a tentative agreement for financing, but it turned out that we're not eligible for membership at the credit union the dealership was looking at. We ended up with an even better rate through GMAC when all was said and done. (Note that the truck had 5 miles on it when we took it out for a test drive Saturday, and over 200 when we returned to finish the deal on Monday- if the dealership hadn't come to agreeable terms, they'd have been out of money for the fuel as well as having taken a practically undriven vehicle and run up what amounts to demo car mileage on it, while my own trade-in sat in a parking space. Not a bad deal for me at all :D).

As far as the Malibu goes, it's great that so many people are getting the deals they are, but it really is going to kill resale / trade value on the cars. Not that this matters to me, as I plan to hang on to our '04 LT sedan for at least four years. (Would've kept the TB longer than that, but we've discovered that the lack of a pickup bed is a fairly big shortcoming for our family in this stage of life..).
    Hi, I am on the board to learn about Malibus. I have driven or sat in many of the imports. I like the sear up and down, sounds like your method. I have yet to see a front headrest that can't be reversed. Usually there's a button you push to raise and lower the headrest. Simply work with that till you lift the headrest off, turn it around, and put it back on. Works great! Hope you are still checking the boards, as this is an older message.
    Hi,
    Can you give me info on the loyalty discount??? I own a Chevy, and my husband owns a Toyota. I read about loyalty discounts in a great book by James Bragg. I was able to get Toyota to give us a $500 discount, in writing, good for one year. That's when I thought I would be buying a Camry. The Camry did't work out in the end, and I was wondering if Chevy gave a loyalty discount. About how much is it, and how did you get it? Who do I contact to get it?
  • Resale value won't be a problem if you keep your car for 10+ years. Modern cars will last at least that long without giving you major reliability problems. And if you like to drive a new car every 4-5 years, then you'd pay for it one way or another
    Hi,
    I was researching the Chevy Malibu in Consumer Reports, and decided to compare the braking and accleration against the Accord and Camry. I was very happily surprised! I have the results from the 2004 Malibu base model, the 2003 Accord Ex, and the 2002 Camry LE. All 4-cylinder; but it looks like the Malibu is 2.2L and the others are 2.4. Acceleration was only seconds slower by the Malibu. But, there's a slightly shorter braking distance by the Malibu than the 2 other cars! I don't know if the statistics on the 2004 models of Camry and Accord are better now, but it looks like Chevy can be proud! I hope the long term reliability is good!! :)
This discussion has been closed.