Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2000-2011 Chevrolet Malibu

Comments

• Yeah, I've got the same thing on my '99. The first two fan speeds don't work. The part may be $25, but the final bill would be close to a thousand. Unless it's critical for you to have the first two fan speeds, save your cash for bigger and better things :)

And now a question for everyone: since almost ALL "classic" Malibus 1) have an intake manifold leak around 5 years/50K miles (good-bye 1,000 dollars), and 2) the above fan problem (usually even sooner, and good-bye another $1,000), as well as 3) premature brake pad wearing (good-bye $200-300 every 2-3 years), how many of you are willing to bet a farm that GM had no clue about the above problems when they were testing the "classic" Bu?

Methinks they knew it all too well, and let it slide for whatever reason. And now we are paying for it. Thanks for nothing, GM!
  • joe3891joe3891 Posts: 759
    i put a fan motor resistor in my car for $28, you mean I saved $972 WOW LOL.
  • If it's something someone without any mechanical experience can do, please tell us how to put in a resistor, to get those first two fan speeds back.

And while you are at it, perhaps you have a 20 dollar solution to the intake manifold leak, and another 10 dollar solution to the brake pad problem?

:-)
  • yurakmyurakm Posts: 1,345
    I had the resistor repaired under warranty. However, I remember it was about $25 part and 0.5 hour labor. The labor would cost about $40, not $1000. BTW, my dealer charges labor in 0.5 hour increments. Probably, according to some handbook. It means 0.5 hour minimum for all small repairs, except the very small, which are free.
  • I must have misread the information about the cost of the fan repair. Tell you what. Next time I have a scheduled service, I will ask the dealer how much to fix the fan, and will let you know.

If it costs less than $100 to repair, it's not that big of a deal.

I did read on quite a few occasions, however, that the entire blow motor thing had to be changed. Maybe, the mechanics figured out a much cheaper way of fixing it?
  • I just read where the Malibu was the 12th best seller in the U.S. year to date (albeit one month).
  • Regarding the fan speed inoperative on speeds 1 and 2.I had the resistor replaced under extended warranty on my '99 I asked the service advisor what the cost out of warranty would have been and she said

$32.00 for the part and 1.0 HR Labour.My Stealership charges $99.00 ! per Hour on mechanical work so $130.00 plus tax would about do it.I'm sure a good local mechanic would do the job much cheaper.As for the brake pads wearing too quick,we all know the factory pad/rotor set-up on these cars is a joke.I rode mine till the rotors warped (about 35,000 KM)

and went to a thicker rotor and ceramic pads on my mechanic's advice. So far I've got over 60,000

KM on them and they still have alot of thickness left on the pads and the rotors are stiil straight.Also chucked the Firestone Affinity's

and got 4 Michelin Harmony's MUCH better and Quiet Too. Sorry for the Long Post as I tend to Ramble. BD EYES
  • How is the thickness of the rotors related to the life of brake pads? Do brake pads care if they face 10mm or 20mm of metal, when they touch the rotors during braking?
  • chrpaichrpai Posts: 32
    Ya my '01's brake system was a joke. Is the hardware on the '05 better or did going to 4 wheel disc brakes just double my problems?
  • I've found that even a rotor that is slightly warped will chew up brake pads at a faster rate.

for some reason the inner pad wears faster due to the constant high/low rotation( I guess). At any rate I would rather have a thicker rotor to allow one or two re-surfacings.The stock rotors on these cars are not even thick enough for one cut, as they would be past the allowable discard rate for thickness.My point being is that you get what you pay for when it comes to brake hardware. IMHO

BD EYES
  • mr_botsmr_bots Posts: 225
    Has anyone else noticed conflicting data at which the torque peaks at on the 3500 V6? About half of the sources claim it's at 4400rpm and the other half claim it's at 3200rpm, including different GM websites. GM's media website lists it at 4400rpm in the table, but if you click on the "Performance Plot" just above where it says that the curve shows that the torque peaks at 3200rpm.
  • I don't know about the actual torque peak, but 3200 rpm sounds very low. 4400 rpm is more believable
  • I own a 2001 Malibu with 63K on it. Sunday night I had driven the car about 20 minutes when it made a "creaky" noise during a right hand turn. Every subsequent turn after was "creaky". Upon pulling into my garage and turning off the car, I heard a weird "boiling, bubbling" noise that lasted a few minutes. Monday morning's commute was the same: after about 20 mins, the turns became noisy. I don't notice any "tightening" of the steering. I checked the Power Steering Fluid and it was dirty and perhaps a little low. My husband refilled the fluid and Tuesday morning's commute was the same. I don't know where to go from here and don't want to spend money unnecessarily. Any ideas on this one?
  • Meg, whatever it is, it doesn't sound normal, and driving with a malfunctioning steering is not very healthy :) Cars do require occasional maintenance, so take it to a dealer and have it looked at. If the steering fails when you are driving, imagine the consequences.

Please keep us posted!
  • tommctommc Posts: 68
    Our Blazer started leaking at the intake at 13K miles, under warranty, the dealer fix was to put some sawdust pills in the radiator. Has fixed the leak so far so there is an under 20$ solution to the intake leak that is apparently recommended by GM. What on earth that company is coming to I have no idea. How do they stay in business?
  • Hi, I am going to change the coolant in my 4 cyl 98 Malibu. Does anyone know where is the fill port after I drain all the coolant out? There is no radiator cap. I don't know if filling through the recovery tank will work. Thanks in advance.
  • Hey, Khanh

I've got a 99 Bu with a V6, but my manual also shows a 4 cyl engine on page 5-11. It shows that 2.4L L4 engine has a coolant surge tank with a pressure cap on the left side of the engine (if you are standing in front of the car and looking at it). That's where you put the coolant. How's your '98 holding up so far? How many miles you've got on it? Cheers!
  • My 98 Bu is holding well. I only have 60k on it though. The engine is running well and start everytime. There is no leak of any kind from it. The only snag that I have is the ABS ocasionally light up when I go over bump but disappear when I restart the engine. I brought it to the dealer and they said it is a loose connector at the wheel and no charge to fix it but seem to happen again. I have not perform any maintenance on it beside oil change and filter. I have the transmission fluid change at 50k but it was unescessary because the fluid look brand new when they drain it (independent shop charge $40 for that). I change the plug myself at 50k but I think also unescessary because the double platinum tip still look new. I changed them anyway since I already pull them out. The only major problem was the replacing of the alternator under warranty. So this car cost me the minimum to operate. My wife 2000 Rodeo on the other hand is leaking trans fluid fluid and need 60 K service ($500 dealer)
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    Pretty sure the 3.5L peak torque is at 3200 RPM. Its a low-rev pushrod afterall, and not much is going on above 5000 RPM. Id be shocked if this engine, which provides very respectable off the line acceleration, peaks at 4400RPM.

~alpha
  • You are right Alpha. It is 3200 rpm and not 4400 rpm.
This discussion has been closed.