Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2000-2011 Chevrolet Malibu

Comments

• malibu1malibu1 Posts: 52
    Haven't been to the forum in a little over a year and just wanted to check in and let everyone know that our 1998 Malibu LS (Dark Cherry Metallic) is running like a total champ @ 42,000 miles. We have only filled it with gas, rotated tires, changed oil and air filters so far. No major problems of any to report. The thing runs better today than it did when new...seems to have more get up and go! The car stills seems very tight and only have a few squeeks or rattles when the car is VERY cold (we live in Idaho). Once the car warms up....I could drive over 10 sets of railroad tracks and not hear anything but the radio. Again, just wanted to add a success story to the list. Have a good day!
  • wam46wam46 Posts: 1
    Just bought a 2001 Malibu in Feb. I notice that the book calls out a front tire pressure of 29 lbs and a rear pressure of 26 lbs. The dealer had 32 lbs pressure in all the tires. What's the best tire pressure for good performance with the Affinities?
  • yurakmyurakm Posts: 1,345
    The tire pressure is somewhat personal: depends on driving style.

I followed the manufacturer recommendations, and replaced the tires at about 36-37k miles by Firehawk SH-30. Great tires for any weather, but especially for rain. Head and shoulders better than Affinity. The handling improved very substantially.

I like to turn fast, and the original tires wore-down on edges. It would be better to inflate them more, e.g. to 32/29 front/rear. This is what I am doing with my new tires. Though, with slow turns, this would not be a problem.

Would not inflate them substantially more, though.

Any case, with Malibu the front tires must be inflated higher than the rear ones. I believe, the manufacturer knew what to do, when he recommended the 3 psi difference. In my experience, when dealer mechanic inflated all Affinity tires to the same pressure, the car was less stable on fast turns. A bit prone to fish-tail, even on dry road.
  • psibayanpsibayan Posts: 6
    Florin and will125, et al. I came on the Malibu forum to see if anyone had any problems with the 3.1 V6 and I found your messages. Let me tell you what we have encountered so far. We bought a 01 Grand Prix SE (has the 3.1 engine) on 2/24/01 and the ticking became apparent three days and 190 miles later. Took the car to Pontiac and they told us about the TSB to change the pistons 1 through 4. By the way we did not see this TSB listed on the NHTSB web site. Perhaps since it was issued allegedly in Jan 01 NHTSB has not had a chance to post it. The car is still at the dealership. They are in the process of changing the engine. They are putting in a long block or so they tell me. Apparently they found piston #6 to be bad as well. The service manager advised us that the regional GM service rep told them to hone the cylinder walls which they did, but there must have been too much damage so they are replacing the engine. I've tried for the past two weeks to have Pontiac give us another car. We were stonewalled by the Pontiac customer service reps at 1-800-PMCARES. They told us they will fix the car and that is all. Friday, we asked the Pontiac dealership in Norco, CA to do the right thing and return our trade and money, but so far the request has been answered with profound silence. We are very concerned that keeping this car with an engine transplant will only cause us future problems, so we are doing all we can to get help to resolve this matter. I hope no one else has to endure the stress and frustration that we have been through so far. If you have any ideas how we can resolve this pls reply. Thanks.
  • florinflorin Posts: 11
    > the ticking became apparent three days and 190

> miles later.

Would you please describe this ticking? How loud

is it? My car is quite noisy in the morning,

but I have no idea whether that's abnormal or not. I'm assuming that the noise is the only simptom--your car was otherwise fine, right?

Psybaian, why dont you claim your rights under

the "lemon car" laws?

See:

http://cartalk.cars.com/Got-A-Car/Lemon

• malibu99malibu99 Posts: 305
    Nice to see you back! I bought my 99 LS in late June 1999 and almost 2 years later the thing is just as strong ( if not better ) than when new so I share teh same positive experience you are. I love this car, especially teh power when merging into traffic. Good LucK!
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    Using the key to touch to the outer door frame will not scratch it. Just touch the tip of the key to the frame, don't drag it across or anything like that.

And BTW, my name is Vocus, not Focus. I don't wanna be associated with anything having that many recalls on it. :) Just kidding.
  • will125will125 Posts: 9
    All,

My only advice is to follow your state lemon laws and try to cooperate with your chevrolet dealership. The root of the problem is that GM was/is using defective pistons in their 3.1 engine. GM should be held accountable for their defective product. Keep in mind you are dealing with a GIANT corporation with a fleet of lawyers. If you pursue this issue in the courts, it could become a lenghty and expensive process. Good Luck. Chevrolet is not helping our economy by forcing consumers to buy German or Japanese vehicles !!!

Will
  • t_h_x1138t_h_x1138 Posts: 13
    Ok, I might be in the minority here, but if they give you a new engine isn't that a good thing? Ya, I would hate the fact that I would need a new engine, but atleast they will go over the install completely, maybe even better then what the factory did. Sure there might be other problems with that car down the road, but its the same with ANY car, ya just might have "other" problems. But it won't because they replaced the engine. Atleast they are doing something about it.
  • tmonettetmonette Posts: 3
    Hi there,

Just wondered what you guys were getting for milage. My 2001 LS is 2 months old with only 1000 miles on it. I am presently getting 15 mpg for city driving ..really short trips, lots of stops and starts. Just wondering if this is typical on a non-broken in 3.1? I have noticed it slightly improving..Will it keep getting better as the car gets broken in more?

Thanks.
    Tom
  • njdevilsrnnjdevilsrn Posts: 185
    I'm going to check the NHTSA site, but let me ask the following questions...

The piston slap you all refer to, is that the same tapping you hear first thing on a cold start that goes away after about 2 minutes of idling/driving?

I thought that was written off earlier in this forum as a normal attribute of the 3.1 engine?

What problems can arise from not having this repaired, and do the risks outweight the benefits?

Does this problem require a heavy repair (i.e. engine replacement/remanufacture)?
  • paesanopaesano Posts: 3
    I am in the process of doing research for the purchase of my next vehicle and the Malibu is on my short list. I was wondering how you people like your cars and what problems might I expect other than the piston problem or the shocking ( I'm used to that on my 95 Merc Mistake! )

Thanks, Ivan
  • fgriecofgrieco Posts: 7
    Here is the update on my Malibu. Last November the wiper motor went bad and was $270 to fix. That was at about 46000 miles. I hadn't had to do a thing to the car up to that point.

Around that time I (finally) needed front brake pads. Since then, the brakes have squealed a lot. I also have a small grinding/popping noise when I first leave a stop -- just as the car starts moving-- and the same noise when applying the brake when backing up. Any thoughts on that? I thought about it and this noise has actually been going on for some time.

The ac/heat unit is going flaky, with the usually symptoms: fan doesn't work in position 1 and 2, ac flickers on and off sometimes, and the fresh air/recirc buttons flicker back and forth occasionally. Does anyone know how much this is to fix.

I still have the BAD stock tires, and they are getting really noisy. But at 51,000 miles, I am just being cheap.

Fred
  • will125will125 Posts: 9
    All,

The piston noise I am referring to is heard in the first 5-10 minutes of operation. This is the pistons rubbing against the engine block they are housed in. Yes, this is a problem. The engine components are disintegrating while in operation. This has been referred to as a valve tap on this board but the pistons are the culprit.

Do you want a new engine in a car with a few hundred/few thousand miles on it ? Do you want to disclose to the next owner what was wrong with it ? This problem will effect the resale value of your car. Will the "new" pistons wear out in a few thousand more miles ? Your odometer will no longer reflect the true mileage on the engine once the engine is replaced completely.

Essentially, GM is taking your "new" car and replacing it with a patched together engine or a completely new engine. Either way, you end up with a vehicle that was not correct from the factory originally. This will show in service records, etc...

I would not purchase a 2001 Malibu with a 3.1 v6. The con's outweight the pro's. Buy a Honda Accord and drive worry free for 150,000 miles !!
  • aniazianiazi Posts: 39
    I have 2001 LS and to date I have close to 4000 miles on it. So far I have no problem at all with the car. Only time will tell. I was reading consumer reports and according to them 97-98 malibu are very unreliable but reliability is improving every year since '99. Main problems were with the brakes and electrical. I assume myself that 2001 would be much better as they have redesign many components in this model. I saw piston problem on this board, what you can do is to ask service center about the TSB for 2001 about this problem. I have also bought extended warranty for just in case and for better resale value. Imagine if you are going to buy a 5 year old car and person tells you, you still have 5 yr bumper to bumper warranty on it, you probably would be happy to pay little more ..I guess!
  • mfletoumfletou Posts: 22
    Had the same problem on my '97. The fan in positions 1 and 2 simply stopped working. The dealer replaced some sort of switch back there and it worked fine up until I traded it for my new Alero. I believe it cost me somewhere around $200 to get fixed. The dealer also told me I had a slow oil leak that need to be fixed. They wanted $600 to fix it. I told them thanks but no thanks. They told me that eventually the oil would spill out of the engine and it would blow. I told them (after I had paid and had the car again) that they were full of it. Sure enough, I drove the car for another three months with no problems, oil pressure was fine. When I traded it for the Alero the dealer never mentioned any problems. In case any of you are interested in trade value, I traded a 1997 V6, light blue with Custom Cloth, 60/40 split, keyless entry and power everything with 49,500 miles After a bit of dickering, dealer gave me $7700 for it, which was about $500 above the NADA average. I was pleased, especially since I got an Alero 3.4 V6, plus sun and sound package (sunroof + 8 spker 200 watt CD/cassette)and extended warranty for $17700 from an MSRP of 20605.
    Overall, though, the Malibu was a great car that I would recommend. The deal was right on the Alero so hence the trade. I nearly got a Malibu LS instead for the same price...
  • yurakmyurakm Posts: 1,345
    I have a 98 Malibu, early build - June 97. Bought it September 98, used, and probably abused, with 15k miles.

In my experience, there was a lot of things to fix in this car. But most of the problems was just nuisances, fixed with regular oil change.

For example, the both front and rear right speakers were replaced. A sensor claimed wrong "door open" - fixed by simple lubricating. The same with squealing left front strut. When fan stopped work at lower speeds (position 1-2), a resistor was replaced in the switch. $24 job including labor, not $200 as with mfletou. All of this under warranty, GM payed the price.

Except the $5000 body shop repair after being rear-ended, the only expensive repair were brakes - pads and rotors. The brake work took about one hour, but with the genuine GM part, at genuine Chevrolet dealer :-) it costs almost $400. This happened before GM recognized the rotor problem, so I paid myself.

Replaced the OEM Affinity tires at 36k miles (or 37?). With my driving style, tires are wearing-out rather fast, especially on edges. Also a $400 job, including alignment and road hazard insurance, at local Firestone. Now I am driving on Firehawk SH-30, and like them much better.
  • malibu99malibu99 Posts: 305
    Yet it is OK for a 2000 Honda Accord to have a transmission defect and have it replaced and not be concerned that you would have a "patched" up car. What a double standard. Good luck though.
  • timmyg71timmyg71 Posts: 5
    Seeing as the 3.1 has been used for years in other cars, has the problem with piston/valve tapping (whatever way you think of it) ever been seen in the other models, or is it to blame on the origin of manufacturing? Just wondering, because I currently own a '99LS Malibu and have been thinking about buying a used Lumina with the 3.1 as my second car. Thanks for the input.
  • aniazianiazi Posts: 39
    Good to hear that you didn't get any big trouble with your 98 model. I think Malibu got the bad remarks mostly because of the brakes problem. According to the "2001 April Auto issue" of consumer reports, engine and transmission of malibu rated good to excellent in terms of reliability all along. Overall Malibu is now on Average reliability from worse since 1999 model year. I think thats a very good issue it also compares US, European, and Japanese makes in a form of a graph. According to that graph US auto makers made the greatest improvement compared to 1980 cars but they are still the ones who needs the most improvements. I think US automakers need to pay more attention in refinement then rolling out new models with new name and problem remains same.
    I consider Malibu different among the Chevy and other US cars and thats why I liked it. My 2001 runs very smooth, and I liked it very much. It was a so much good deal for me over Accord. If I didn't get brake problem I would be extremely happy then and that will put more confident in US makes.
This discussion has been closed.