Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2000-2011 Chevrolet Malibu

Comments

• himomerhimomer Posts: 59
    The Cutlass came with both the 150hp(GL) and 170hp(GLS) engine, just dependending on which trim level you opted for. I have the GLS, the only thing i regret not getting from the start is a set of mudflaps, i don't know what it is that is stuck on the car it's hard to explain, but it's still not too late. The olds also came with affinity tires but i'm not sure what brand is on there now HP2000 and XP2000 i think but i'm not real sure. BTW my car is worth more than I owe
    1. Does anyone notice that when the lower profile tires are on the front that the steering wheel will shake when braking, but when they are on the back the car doesn't have that "aggressive stance"?

2. Ever since i bought the car I have had excess amounts of brake dust on the front wheels. I had my brakes changed once i heard the wear indicators but i am still getting a lot of brake dust, to the point that it looks completely black and you can't see any silver. anyone else notice this?
  • joe3891joe3891 Posts: 759
    Wash your wheels.
  • I own a 2000 Malibu and I posted before explaining that when i take off at a light or trying to get on a high my car hesitates. I cant go over 35 mph unless i take my foot of the gas and reapply it. The car does on and off. Of course chevy tells me that they can't reproduce the problem so there nothing they can do. It anyone wants this car make me an offer. Great mileage 9700. Thanks Mary Lau you can reach me at 843-569-7955 if you are interested in this car. (LOL)
  • hobbzillahobbzilla Posts: 3
    Hey all, I was shopping around for the 2001 Malibu LS at a local dealer and he pulled out of his pocket a cheat sheet with rebates on it. It read like this:
    *$2000 Malibu '01
    $1750 Malibu '01
    I am aware of the 1750 Manuf-Consumer rebate. Would the astrisk indicate a hidden incentive for the Dealer? There was an astrisk and it DID have $2000 next to it.. below it was the "known" 1750 rebate. Just curious.. I'd love a piece of that action!!
  • dtownfbdtownfb Posts: 2,915
    That's interesting that you mentioned that. I'm in the market for a Malibu. And I asked the salesman about rebates and he said $2000 but everywhere I read it's $1500. Plus they do have the recent college graduate program. I will have to find out on Monday when we go to negotiate.

Can anyone give me an idea of where to start the "bidding"?
  • rotarykidrotarykid Posts: 191
    we had a 2000 malibu in yesterday for an oil change and rotation, as the tech was rotating the tires he noticed the tread coming off in the center of the tire.low and behold it was a firestone tire-this car had less than 10k and the tread was peeling off the tire- not cut, scraped or worn, but peeling right off the inside layer. If anyone in here has the affinity tires on their ls malibu i would would have them checked right away.
  • njdevilsrnnjdevilsrn Posts: 185
    Don't go trying to start a Wilderness/ATX type frenzy in here. If you come to this board often, you will know that the OEM tires are one of the main complaints owners have about the Malibu (brakes and piston slap are the others). Affinity tires are trash. I am sure most in here will agree with you. Did you ever run over a jagged piece of metal, maybe a bridge joint? Sounds like road damage to me, and I'm sure a lot of others in here would agree.

PS...Our 2000 Malibu is 16 months old, and I've already replaced 2 tires on it...one for a nail puncture (I'm not patching a tire on a brand new car) and the other for a large chunk out of the sidewall as the fiance parked it too close to the curb one day. I will replace with Michelin within the next year or two, barring another catastrophe.
  • My AC is always switching from the "re circulate mode" to the default "outside air mode." This is very annoying, especially here in Florida. Anyone else have this problem? This is the only complaint I have with my '00 Malibu S.
  • edh8030edh8030 Posts: 2
    Having problems about every 10K since I bought my car with car shaking when applying brakes - dealer has corrected problem under warranty so far but concerned when warranty expires. Has anyone else having brake problems?
  • edh8030edh8030 Posts: 2
    I have noticed the same thing on mine, but is does not do it all the time
    Well I just purchased a 2001 Malibu LS tonight. Bronzemist. Paid about $80 over the Edmunds TMV for the vehicle. Not a bad deal. Pickup the vehicle on Monday. Still nervous about the purchase. First time I have bought a Chevy.
  • br551br551 Posts: 1
    After watching this board for awhile I made the plunge and purchased a 2001 Malibu LS for my wife on 7/21. The MSRP was 20,590.00 which included leather. The dealer met an add price of $4000.00 off MSRP and I used $2500.00 of my GM card rebate money to get a final price of $14,090.00. He also met the internet price of GM Protection Plan warranty of 5years/75,000 miles "0" deductible for $920.00. So far I am pleased with the car and loads of features for the price, the extended warranty adds to peace of mind.
  • joe3891joe3891 Posts: 759
    I hope you know that the extended warranty you purchased for $920 is good for 2 yrs and 39000 its part of your 3 yr 36000.Just in case you didn't know,I found out when I recieved a pitch from GM for extended warranty,I read all the fine print.I didn't thing it was a good deal,most of the troubles will start after 75000 but GM knows that,smart aren't they.
  • ferraro1ferraro1 Posts: 44
    Hello ~
    I am a happy owner of a 1998 Malibu with 48,000 miles on it , and well after a long list of repairs , I have come to the one that was the least trouble , and that is the AC unit flickering the green light will shut off as well as the compressor for small periods then come back on , and then sometimes will shut off again for LONG Periods and I will have to press the AC button to get it going again , I need to know what would be a likely cause before going into Chevrolet, I have read it could be the Control Unit , If so how Much would that cost to fix , and if anyone else has any idea or the same problem please post.
    Happy Malibu Owner,
    Paul
  • malibu99malibu99 Posts: 305
    Many 98 Malibu owners had this problem. The Control Unit has gone bad. You might want to check at the yahoo Chevy Malibu Garage club for help, lots of members in that club had it fixed for their 98s. Good luck!
  • Hello

I just put a third one in back in May of this year. The others were under warranty. This one I had to bite the bullet. It was $164.00 from the dealer. I gave up the service dept. rights and fixed it my self. This limited my warranty to if the product is defective, only then they will take it back. Electrical parts the customers install that is later determined to be the wrong part is not refundable, only switchable with a like part. I knew the problem when it was flickering and causing my engine to act in a missing fashion. It's easy to install yourself and save the service charge. All you have to do is remove the key bezel, then take the trim plate that snaps around the center stack. Use a allen socket to remove the control head from dash. Then unplug the vacuum hoses and electrical connections. Removing the blue clips is a little tricky looking but careful study will reveal its ease. Then install the new head, and you are set for (Ha Ha Ha) another year before it goes out like mine. Maybe we 98' owners ought to do a class action on Chevy for expensive bad parts.
    Other than that, the old chevy is actually pretty good. I have 74,000 on mine and had only an alternator replacement. Still chugging along with 25 -30 mpg on regular. This is four cylinder mileage with a potent V6.
  • hunt0694hunt0694 Posts: 12
    My 99LS was having the same problem with the AC light switching on and off. The Chevy dealer knew immediately that the problem was the AC Control Head. Seems to be working fine now.
    Having the same problem with my 99 cutlass, i will get it fixed one day when i think about it.
  • robby8robby8 Posts: 17
    I have a 2000 Malibu. The pipes above my car in my underground parking garage were leaking and have left a calcium or lime deposit on the hood of the car. Can anyone tell me the best way to remove this without damaging the paint job? Thanks.
  • Just purchased 99 LS with 17900 from GM Certified Used etc. After multiple test drives and no apparent noises, signed papers filled up fuel tank and viola! Front end makes squeaking noise at slow speeds (3-10 mph). Does not appear to be struts? Sound is on right side. I push up and down on bumper but can not replicate. When fuel get below 1/2 tank sound disapears. Only when car is moving. Test drove other 99 LS and same sound was on left side but heard at higher speeds, 10-20 mph. Also, AC (light/switch) goes on and off. Per other posts...control unit. Other than that seems to be a good auto.

Any ideas on the squeaks would be helpful.
  • Our neighbors have a 2001 Malibu and it has nothing but problem after problem, im posting this to see if any one else is having a rough idle or hard starts? The car has approximately 39,545 miles as of last month.They said it tend to not want to start when its cold it turns over and its jumpy and then after 3 or 4 tries it starts up.Plus the Transmission is slipping already a little, inform us on your Malibu and ill help them out. Take care.
    :)
  • yurakmyurakm Posts: 1,345
    The impression as if the creaks came from behind the dash, right? Like from the glove box cover, or from the glove box itself?

Had these creaks with my 98 Malibu. Last year at driver side, this summer at the passenger side. They were easy fixed at dealership: the last year for free, under warranty, this year it took 1/2 hour labor, $33 plus tax.

The mechanic simply cleaned and lubed struts. For this he loosen the bolts before the work, and than tightened them back after. The creak at left did not return after about 10k miles and 1.5 years; the right one was fixed last month, have no long-term experience.
    Put 39,455 miles in at most one year, with the 2001 car, and "has nothing but problem after problem"? Wow!
    Hello ~
    Just the past few days I have noticed the Gas pedal to be sticking (harder to press) it is when I am starting out just at first,I have to press a bit hard to get the pedal down (Was not like that at all the past 3 years) and when i do it causes me to give it to much gas and making the car accelerate to fast making me and all others in the car to jerk, it is sorta annoying , has anyone had this issue on theirs ? if so Please post i would like to know if I can fix it (like just a simple lube of WD-40 ? )
    Thanks,
    Paul
  • infinia1infinia1 Posts: 174
    ...my mother had this problem on her '01 tracker. i used plain vinegar and it removed the deposits. i just wouldn't do it on a hot car.
  • kduong1kduong1 Posts: 7
    It is actually your throttle is sticking. I had the same problem with my. After I cleaned the throttle plate, the sticking is gone. There were plenty of hard carbon deposit around the throttle plate when I opened it up. Do not use those CARB/Injector cleaner spray can to clean. They are harsh. You can look up in the Poppular Mechanic website. The had an article on how to clean the throttle plate a few months ago. [non-permissible content removed] luck.
    Hello ~
    Well I took a look at the artice from Pop Meck and well this job looks pretty complicated , espically for me (someone who is not all that inclined under the hood) , I was thinking of just takeing it to Chevrolet and saying hey look I know what needs to be done , so can you just do that ( clean it for me ) and that is all , cuz I know they will try and find OTHER things wrong , but hey i dunno just sounds safer for me.
    Thanks !
    Paul
    Purchased a 2001 Malibu LS (Bronze mist). so far it has a whopping 850 miles on it. So far no problems with it. First recordable gas mileage we averaged 28 mpg, mostly highway, all A/C. All is tight and right with the car. The suspension is a little soft with some body roll around the corners. The car accelerates nicely and holds 75 mph very well. A/C worked well the past week in 90+ weather.

Will keep you updated as we go along.
    Depending on your driving style and tastes, to compensate somewhat for the soft suspension, I would suggest to overinflate tires a bit. My Firestone mechanic told me extra 3psi are definitely safe.

In the morning, when tires are cold, I am inflating them to 32 psi front / 29 psi rear. GM recommends 29/26 psi. The numbers are for 98 Malibu.

It also forces the tires to wear more evenly with my driving style. My tires are always wear more on edges, because I enjoy turning fast.

However, the OEM Affinity are not good, and definitely will not serve 80k miles. Replaced them after 37k miles, but it would better to do it at 33k. Bought the SH-30 tires and am happy again with the car. My wife likes them too very much.
This discussion has been closed.