Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2000-2011 Chevrolet Malibu

Comments

• yurakmyurakm Posts: 1,345
    All new car will be reliable about years later.
  • dindakdindak Posts: 6,632
    We tested a base Malibu and a base Alero back to back. We ended up with the Alero even though the Malibu had a V6, mainly because we like the looks of the Alero better. The 4 cyl Ecotec in the Alero wasn't much slower either. We were on a tight budget also so I know how you feel. Day care is expensive!
  • tamu2002tamu2002 Posts: 758
    We need your input on this car we're looking at. Since we're moving across state early next week, we need to act soon. So far I have only got two quotes in the state we're moving to, and both are higher than this one.

1) Is this a good deal? Is there still room for negotiation?

Malibu LS with spoiler:
    $16,250 before TTL

2)Is it a lot of trouble to change the titles and everything once we move to another state. How does it work? Is this price worth the trouble?

Your input will be GREATLY appreciated!

tamu2002
    Do you know what the invoice on the car is? If it's close, it's probably a good price. Is it a cash price or do you get preferred financing with it?
    I assume the invoice is whatever the edmund's figure minus the rebates. Is that right? We've got a very good APR with 0 down for 60 months. Please comment! Thanks!

tamu2002
  • dtownfbdtownfb Posts: 2,915
    I believe the invoice price for a Malibu LS is around $18500. Most GM cars invoices are about $1500-$1700 below the MSRP. Plus the Malibu has a rebate going on. I woudl offer invoice minus the rebate. I paid $200 over invoice (not including the rebate) for my 2001 Malibu LS last July. The $16250 sounds like a good price to me. What is the rebate on the Malibu?

So far absolutely no problems with mine. I have 15,500 miles on it. The only thing I would change is the tires. Which will be done in a year or two.
    Unfortunately the pricing in Canada is in Canadian dollars so I can't tell you for sure. From what I have read, sounds like a very good price.

Good luck!
    Hi all,

The latest quote I got is $15650 for an LS with spoiler. That's a very good price but trouble is we're moving to another state 1000 miles away next week and will have to transport the car. I hate the idea of towing a trailer behind a rental truck. The best quote I got from our new place is $450 dollars more with 1% less sales tax though. Touch decision to make. What do you think?

tamu2002
    I wouldn't buy the Malibu now. I would wait. I'm not sure of how the sales tax works but you could be responsible for paying sales tax in your current state as well as the state you are moving to. Plus you don't need another distraction when you are moving.

I would buy from the dealership in the area you are moving to. It still seems liek a great deal you are getting and it will only cost you about $300 or so dollars more. And you never know what kind of sale may pop up once you get there. The end of the month is coming up. Dealerships like to move inventory around that time and salesmen need to meet their monthly targets.

Good luck with the move.
    Thanks dtownfb!

We have decided to buy after the move. Like you said, it's just too much trouble buying now. Will keep you guys posted.
  • jmr001jmr001 Posts: 6
    New on the board. Just wanted to comment about my 2001 Malibu LS. Have 17K miles on it, and just had a fuel injector replaced. It's had a rough idle for some time. I took it in the Chevy dealer for an oil change and mentioned to rough idle. They found the problem and tried to clean the injector but it didn't work, so they replaced it. Runs great now and my gas mileage should improve.

I have had no other problems with the car, and am very happy with it so far.

The road noise from the tires is more than I like. I guess this is a problem others have expressed. I had a 97 Malibu before this one and it had the same excess tire noise. I have Firestones on my 2001 Malibu. Car is a lease so I don't want to invest in new tires.
  • Don't buy a Malibu. I have had nothing but problem after problem with my '99 Malibu. I have had the breaks and rotors replaced at least five times in the past three years. The first 3 times was in the first year I owned the car. I have had numerous other problems such as the coolant level light always going on and being low on water and coolant at times but not always, my front end rattles almost incessantly, my a/c button has not worked on a couple of occassions (by the way, the A/C has never been very good in my opinion). I have had to replace the fuel pump as well. It seems now that my transmission is slipping. One thing after another. I am certainly not a satisfied Malibu owner and would not recommend this car to anyone. Except maybe the girl who stole my boyfried in 12th grade. Ha.Ha. I am stuck in a 4 year lease. Does anyone know how to get out of a lease? It is the first time I have ever leased a vehicle and don't know if I can wait another year to turn it in.
    Sorry about all of your problems with 99 Malibu. Most of the items you mentioned should have been covered under warranty. The brakes and rotors were a known problem with the Malibu as well as the Grand Am, Alero and L-series. The A/C problem is a faulty switch which has been documented numerous times on this board. I hope you have had the coolant level checked. It could be an indication of an internal leak.

As far as getting out of the lease, your options are limited. If you were interested in another GM product, I bet the delaership would be willing to work with you. Unforutnately you are bound by the contract you signed and required to make those payments. There are ways to get out but normally it is not advantageous to the consumer. I would check on the Leasing Board. Those guys know can give you more information.
  • peetry04peetry04 Posts: 1
    Malibu's are so incredibly inexpencive, and i'm a teen that's had his license for a little while and i really want a car. Now that I'm older and having to spend my own money the Malibu sounds great. But I also don't want to have to pay for repairs which the Malibu is known for. Do all Malibu's have problems, or is it just some situations and/or drivers? If you have a better idea for me or a better car I'd love to hear it. Just post another message please.

thanx
    Older Malibu, 97-98, are not reliable. Mostly small problems, to fix at oil change, but a lot of them.

1999-2001 were close to average.

According to the last J.D.Power report, the initial quality of 2002 improved sharply, and currently it is one of the best cars in this respect. Initial quality (number of defect found during first month to 3 months) correlates well with long-term reliability.

However, to feel safe, I would suggest to price the car plus long-term after-market extended warranty. Something like 7-9 years / 90-100k miles. The warranty may cost about $1000 via Internet.

To the best of my understanding, with the warranty tossed in, Malibu is still less expensivethan most of competition without such a warranty.

If you decide to buy the car, you can go without the extended warranty till about 30 months / 30k miles. Then you will know, if your car is reliable or have a lot od small problems.
  • Well i am glad to see that i am not alone after posting my life story about my troublesome 1998 malibu and not long after i posted my original message my malibu started acting up again but bad this time my gas petal went(had no acceleration up hill) all my gauges went off and my temp,fuel and rpm gauges went dead. I ended up 30 miles away from home and having to call a tow truck to get me back to my house. the only good news i have is that is didn't get into an accident when it died in the middle of rush hour traffic in orlando florida. i was able to talk to a mechanic friend of mine who has access to ALLDATA he said all the symptoms or problems i'm having are to deal with the theft system so i guess i have to breakdown and pay to get the other part fixed.
  • terri23terri23 Posts: 1
    hi all, i just got a 2001 used malibu from a car rental sales place. this car did not come with the keyless remotes, does anyone know how i would go about getting these? thanks
    I have 98 base Malibu, with power door and trunk locks, but without remote.

Aftermarket remote lock / fobs are available from hundreds places around. Even at Pep Boys, if I remember it right. I see advertisement often in local newspapers, mostly from small shops.

For cars with power locks the remote are reasonably priced. Strong competition. Usually are combined with remote starter, for cold winter.

However, 4 years later, I am still did not bought the gizmo. Nice to have, but do not really need, no problems to live without.
  • lhargis1lhargis1 Posts: 6
    I have a 98, and am considering trading in for a 2002. I like the many features of the car, and as I put on a lot of mileage, I don't like to spend alot on my cars, but I still need something that looks professional enough for my sales calls.

I am thinking about getting one this weekend, but would like any reassurance available that the 2002's have most of these recurring issues fixed.

Any help or insight greatly appreciated!!!

L~
    Hi all,

The Malibu LS we're looking at was built in Jan 2002. Was this after all the major improvements? We're buying tomorrow. Please comment!

Also, has anyone put in an aftermarket cassette player?

Thanks tons!

tamu2002
    For the most part, all the bugs that plagued the early Malibus are gone (brakes, electrical gremlins, etc). In the 2002 JD Power Initial Quality survey, the Malibu won the mid-size category which includes the likes of the Accord and Camry.
    We finally took the plunge and bought a redfire LS with a spoiler for $16300. The car was built in Jan and has 140 miles on it. Other than that it seems fine. Will keep you posted. Thanks for your feedback!
    Congratulations!
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Posts: 854
    Early Malibus were made in Delaware and OK City, and new ones are made in Lansing MI.
    Hi all,

Just today picked up my 2002 LS with gray leather, sunroof, spoiler...and beautifully smooth and shiny black paint.

I must say, for a "family sedan" it is fun to drive and I think it looks really cool...and my 11 year old loves it too.

Thanks to you board members who have posted and given us great insight, and I am so glad to see Chevy building a car like this.
    Congratulations!

By the way, it is hard to find Malibu in such configuration. Walked at new car lot while changing oil yesterday at a big Chevy dealership. They had about 15 Malibu on the lot, but only one was with sunroof. White.
    Malibu LS is a pretty nice car guys. We tested a base Malibu and it was ok, but the LS is clearly a good step up.
    Yes, I actually just lucked into it. My 98 Malibu had the dash go dead ON THE WAY INTO THE DEALERSHIP!!! hehe

My dealer was Henna Chevrolet here in Austin, the 3rd largest in the nation. They had 3 cars in this configuration, white, black and silver.

And yes, dindak, the 2002 is MILES above my 98. Much more solid...tight...better build quality and materials...and the extra 20hp is very noticeable...

Now, if my K&N air filter will just come today, and then if I can get to the performance shop for a better muffler...I should be up around 190hp...

Woo hoo...glad I have that radar detector!!!

L~
  • charyvcharyv Posts: 4
    Wow sounds like we are experiencing similar things. My car (99 malibu)Theft System light was blinking on 2 different occassions (would not let me start the car until it stopped blinking) and recently my dash went from being readable to everything being faintly lit (sporadically). Thank God it has not left me stranded (yet)!
    So what is the repair or part that need to be bought/done? Would I have to take the car to the dealership or is it an easy enought job that my fiance (mechanicaly inclined) can handle???
    Please let me know at your earliest. :)
  • jrmo37jrmo37 Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Malibu purchased in Sept. 2000, just turned 11000 mi, also just got back from a 5300 mile trip from CA to PA, no problems, great gas mileage from 32mpg and one 300 mi stretch got 36mpg @ 80mph(had a 45 to 70mph tail wind in Wyoming),average mph on trip over I-80 was any where from 65 to 75 + mph, other wise no problems as of yet, car handles like a sports car and yes on some concrete highways there is a lot of road noise, read on another intenet site a fellow said he put Michilen tires on his Malibu and what a difference. Mine to has the Firestone Affinity tires and haven't made up my mind yet rather to change or wait, no more long trips planned in the near future, so must say at this time great car for the money, mine is an LS w/rear spoiler and cloth upholstery and I like that best (personal perference)........have a great day!!!!!
This discussion has been closed.