Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2000-2011 Chevrolet Malibu

Comments

• read post 980.I had the same problem with a/c cycling,light going on and off constanly.Try to switch defroster light with a/c light,you need to unsolder them but it worked for me.
    Or the need to buy a new switch assembly.
    You could buy one from junk yard but you might have the same problem.i have seen on this board same problem over and over again,i don't understand why there was no recall
  • speedy581speedy581 Posts: 6
    Yurakm... do you know where this resistor is located? So that I can replace it.

czanfardino... I had read your first message regarding this and found it interesting. I don't understand the logic behind it but I might give it a try before going to the dealership or getting a new panel board.

Anybody else have any suggestions???
    The car has been great... of all the problems discussed here, I only suffered the rotor problem and that was a few months into owning the car. I then took it to the dealership and they put the newer thicker rotors and it has been running like a dream ever since.
  • joek25joek25 Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 malibu and when I push in the lighter,it blows the fuse.I changed the housing on it and tried another lighter.Does anyone know what else I can check?Thanks,Joe
  • jack151jack151 Posts: 3
    I replaced my original Firestone tires with B.F. Goodrich Control T/A M80s with a significant improvement in handling, on my 1998 Malibu.

Should I have all tires inflated to the same pressure or should I have a higher pressure in the front, as recommended for the Firestone tires? Thanks.
    It sounds you have done all you could... Check to see if the fuse you have is the correct amperage, it could be too low. As a last resort, try to use a higher amperage fuse. I haven't experienced that problem before.
    It is always good to inflate front tires a little bit higher than the rear ones (maybe 2-4 psi more) since they carry the signigicant weight of the engine.
    Any body have any more info??? See msg#989 and 994.
  • yurakmyurakm Posts: 1,345
    Dealer replaced the resistor under warranty. I do not know where it is located.
  • bcmalibu99lsbcmalibu99ls Posts: 625
    so does anyone here have a M'bu with more than 100K on speedometer? How about 150K?

And what about my brake pads question. I seriously start doubting all those claims about bad OEM pads, as no one stepped forward to say which replacement pads they'd recommend :-)
  • davemal99davemal99 Posts: 3
    I have a noisy dash in my 99 Malibu. It is not effected by temperature nor is it if having any effect on the a/c, stereo controls, etc. It is a creaking sound that sounds like it's coming from the center, maybe underneath, only while driving. Since I cannot locate the source, I am not sure exactly where it's coming from. It's making me crazy and for me, ruins, in my opinion, a decent car for the money. That's the only mystery problem I have with the car.
  • johnp21johnp21 Posts: 1
    It has come to my attention that 2000-2002 Malibu models are having troubles with pistons. Check the NHTSA web site, and from family experience, pistons are being replaced in these cars giving only temporary fixes. The first sign is engine rattling when starting cold. Teflon coated piston replacements are failing in short order.
    Hope this helps somebody from making a big mistake. John
  • bcmalibu99lsbcmalibu99ls Posts: 625
    The car is in its 5th Model Year, and they still couldn't produce a quality vehicle? Shame
  • sola2000sola2000 Posts: 6
    I recently purchased a new family sedan. Before purchasing the car, I did a lot of research and extensivley test drove many cars, both domestics and imports. I drove the Chevrolet Malibu and Impala, Dodge Stratus and Intrepid, Ford Taurus, Honda Accord, Mitsubishi Galant, Nissan Altima and Maxima, Pontiac Bonneville and Grand Prix, Saturn LS, Toyota Camry and the Volkswagen Passat.

After driving all those cars I would say, without question, the imports are far superior to the domestics. I remember driving the Chevy Mailbu and then going to the Toyota dealer, driving the Camry and being shocked at how much smoother, more refined and better designed and engineered it is than the Malibu or any of the domestics.

My favorite out of all cars I drove? It was the Passat. I thought it provided the best driving experience. There really is something to that German heritage. The car I actually bought? My second favorite. A 2002 V6 Honda Accord. Why? I keep my cars a long time and I just didn't trust VW's long term reliability. I know with a Honda or Toyota product one is virtually assured bullet proof quality and reliability for years and years, and hundreds of thousands of miles. In the final analysis that still can't be said for American or German cars.
  • malibuinscmalibuinsc Posts: 10
    Hello everybody,
    My '98 Malibu LS is holding up very strong in South Carolina. I have over 94000 miles on it and the only problems I've had were an alternator at 53,000 and the lower intake manifold gasket leak that was repaired at 78,000 miles. I had the A/C flicker but replaced the control unit in the dash and haven't had trouble with it since. Here the summer heat is harsh 90's and 100's occurring easily and this car takes it without breaking a sweat and the last few winters here, we had some pretty big winter storms by SC standards with 6 inches of snow this year and many past years ice storms. This car handled them with no problems. Sorry for people with Malibu's with troubles, but mine is a joy. I still get 30 mpg on the highway and 24 in city driving. I had the transmission fluid changed in May at 90,000 miles and I'm still on the original spark plugs. I hope this is some encouragement for some Malibu owners. The problems that did occur were IMO normal. Brake rotor problems were not a serious issue for me. My car's build day was Jan. 15, 1998, with the 155hp engine, not the 150hp engine as stated by the car's manual.
  • piercetpiercet Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Malibu I purchased Oct 01. In almost all respects I like the car quite a bit. However, during the colder months, my fan started vibrating so badly I couldn't run it above the #2 position without seriously shaking the console. Also, practically no air flow from the vents. When I took it to the dealer, they took a look, called me, and said the warranty didn't cover the problem since nothing was actually broken. The environmental air intake (and fan, and evaporator) were filled and blocked with rodent nest materials. The did agree to forego, for one time only, the $688 cost of removing the console entirely and cleaning out the air system. Ten days later the fan was vibrating again and airflow blocked. Well summer is here and the Mojave desert is seeing 106 degree temperature and now I have no useable air conditioning.

The Chevy customer complaint line said I was out of luck and the dealer will not help again. Haven't these people ever heard of Hanta Virus? All the time I am in the car, I am breathing rodent nest debris.

So, I would love to hear from anybody who has had this problem in the 2000, 2001, or 2002 models. If I can get enough juice I might be able to sway Chevy to cover this potentially fatal design flaw and clean that "crap" out of the air I breathe..

Thanks ahead of time for any help you can offer.

Terry
  • gwm2gwm2 Posts: 6
    I just found this site & need some help. How can I find the posts(without reading all of them)that deal with "ABS" light & "Security sys." light on dash? The "Security" light shuts the car off & I have to wait approx. 20 min. to restart. I want to sell this car & would feel better if I could fix these two problems or at least explain them to prospective buyers! It's a '97 LS w/67K mi. & out of warranty. Any help would be appreciated.
  • joe3891joe3891 Posts: 759
    Check for a screen over the air inlet in front of the windshield,lift the hood & look.
    Do you leave your windows open at night?
  • dfenndfenn Posts: 1
    WOW!! There are a ton of messages here on this board. Most of them address problems I've already experienced under warranty and can share my 2 cents worth with multiple trips to the dealer for rotor replacements and the like. Additional trips to the dealer dealt with the air conditioner and overheating (the dealer replaced the ECU panel). However, has anyone out there had any oil leak problems with the 3.1 V6 (2000 Malibu)?

I began smelling burnt oil coming in through the vents a few months ago and the dealer responded by "gooping" every engine seam with high temp sealant. This of course didn't stop it all together and can still smell the odor, but to a lesser degree. I noticed some moisture on the firewall side of the engine, just under the head. Has anyone experienced this? I only have 2K left on the standard warranty and am looking to confront the dealer with some good/hard info. I imagine that with the 1/8th inch thick gaskets sealing every engine component, a leak is bound to turn up anywhere.

Boy, I can go on and on about this car and the time it's spent in the shop. If GM would install some ceramic rotors and pads on this car and replace the Isuzu engine, they might just have a car worth it's salt.

Thanks everyone!!

Dave
  • ....on my '99 LS. As a general rule is it a good idea to bring it on for a "look over" by the dealer? By the way, have had my LS for 3 years and 24K miles, no problems.
  • vet5vet5 Posts: 9
    Judging by the posts here, at least have a pressure check done on the cooling system, and visually check the radiator cap yourself when engine is cold for crud buildup. This was mentioned a few posts back. I checked my cap the other day (2001 w/21K miles) and it's getting gunky. Going to get new cap tomorrow ($10.50 at Chevy). I read it is supposed to have a negative effect on the cooling system/intake manifold gasket/etc. I am sure others here have a variety of good ideas.
  • Vet5, what exactly "is supposed to have a negative effect on the cooling system/intake manifold gasket/etc" ? A new pressure cap? Why?
  • mkstfmkstf Posts: 12
    i have a 98 malibu recently i've been having problems with my power windows and a/c. some days they work fine other days they stop working (at the same time) one time i just happened to jiggle the key a little bit and they came back on. other times i tried it and it didn't work. if any one had this problem or has a solution i'd appreciate any info. thanks mkstf
  • I own a 2001 Malibu with 11K miles. I Have not had any major problems with the vehicle until this point. During a recent heat wave in the Northeast, I have been using my A/C in the car quite frequently. I always run the A/C with the RECIRC AIR pushed in for optimal cooling. Lately, I have noticed that the climate control system switches back to the FRESH AIR mode from the RECIRC mode on its own, causing warmer air to blow in.

I reset the switch to RECIRC, but it continues to switch back to FRESH.

Has anyone else had this problem?
    Should I bring it to the dealer or is this normal?

I also notice that one of my plastic headlight assemblies is taking on moisture, is something that the delaer will repair under warranty?

Thanks for your insight, this board is very insightful.
  • I have a 6 week old '02 malibu LS in black, and the paint on the hood is beginning to bubble. Anyone had similar? I am calling the dealership tomorrow.

Thanks!!!!

Lance
  • pluto5pluto5 Posts: 618
    If your paint is bubbling only on one panel it may have been damaged in transit and repainted. If it wasn't prepared properly the paint could bubble. The dealer's body shop should completely remove the old paint and refinish the hood. Dealer should be able to correct with no problem.
  • Thanks much!!! I will let you know how it goes with the dealership.
  • wilfj1wilfj1 Posts: 52
    Just purchased a 2002, believe it or not without first checking the Web. All my research had been done on the 02 Impala, but the check book said sorry perhaps next time. Has the 3.1 engine noise problem been corrected in 02.? Our car was built in March 02. Also I noted AC problems listed any correction made in 02 ?. The tire noise is something for Ripley's believe it or not. After 300 Km I'll have to change the tires or play the radio on high volume. How could they do something as stupid after knowing the tires have been unsatisfactory for over 2 years !! Is this something a good Lawyer would like to take on as a class action, sure seems to fit the mold.
  • Wilfj, obviously, it is a damn shame GM still cannot make a product without some crap ruining the owner's enjoyment. But I am somewhat perplexed. Engine and tire noise could and should have been discovered during the test drive. What happenned?
  • wilfj1wilfj1 Posts: 52
    Thanks for your reply bcmalibu99ls. The motor is perfect. I was concerned with a potential future problem. I've been told that a mode was made when the engine was stepped up to 170 hp in 2001. Your correct the tire noise should have been detected on the test. However, with checking the cd/radio and the interior etc. and at 60km the noise went unnoticed until we made a short trip at 100km with radio off. So be it.... just as long as the engine performs as my 91 lamina 3.1 has with 145km
    It's not the Impala... but with the price tag I'll have a good piece of change left when I replace the tires. Other then the road noise seems like a fine mid size riding car ,at good value, providing of course the 3.1 does the job. I also laid on the 5 yr 100000 ,no deductible just in case. Time will tell and I still have my Lumina to boot, other then brakes its it's been a great car, well worth keeping. Cheers
This discussion has been closed.