Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2000-2011 Chevrolet Malibu

Comments

• dtownfbdtownfb Posts: 2,915
    It looked like a coin holder should fit pretty easy in that opening. I already checked with the dealer. Maybe I can get theme to make one "disappear" off one of the base models on the lot.
  • malibu99malibu99 Posts: 305
    Wait. You mean to say that the LS doesn't have the coin holder but the base does????? What were they thinking!!!!
  • yurakmyurakm Posts: 1,345
    Hi!

Did not hear you for long time. How are you?
    Doing good. My cars is still great although I think I am starting to notice the infamous flickering AC light issue but that's minor to me. I tend to read this board more than write to it, seems like most Malibu owners are relatively happy with their cars and the board has colled down.
  • spuddspudd Posts: 1
    Okay, here is a weird one. I have a 97 Malibu and had to replace the battery yesterday. It wasn't dead but was getting very weak. Nothing unusual happened during the replacement and it only took a minute or two. Clock, radio presets, keyless entry still work like a charm. The problem is: the fuel gauge is crazy. Its normal sweep is from the 8 o'clock position(empty) to about 12 o'clock(full). It is like it spun all the way around or something. When the key is off it drops to 6 o'clock(straight down). When you turn the key on, the needle goes clockwise to the 'stop' pin at 8 o'clock and can go no further. Looking at the height of this pin, there is no way that the needle 'jumped' over it. Has anyone seen this problem? Is there some sort of 'reset' that might fix it?

P.S. Regarding earlier discussion - my 97 LS does have a coin holder.....
  • dindakdindak Posts: 6,632
    A co-worker was looking at used Malibus for a second car. Are there any bad years to look out for or any other things to look for?? I know the newer ones are pretty solid, but sometimes there are issues with the first/second years of production. Any help would be appreciated.
  • joe3891joe3891 Posts: 759
    Try disconnecting your battery for 5 min and see what happens.
  • rdeschenerdeschene Posts: 318
    It could be just restricted to your fan/fan switch or, this is something which happened to me, your alternator's voltage regulator is starting to go and it has "fried" part of the circuits in your fan motor.

If your alternator is going, the car's electrical system will be drawing from your battery while the car's running. If you disconnect the battery's positive cable with the engine running and it stalls, this is a sign that the alternator is probably on its way out and will continue to fry other circuits as it goes.

Be careful when you do this, of course, as you're making some sparks around a charging battery and that can theoretically lead to an explosion. Then there's all the moving parts under the hood. You'll probably want to do this with good lighting and good ventilation.
    Stay away from the 97 and 98 models. The 99 models are pretty solid and tehy got better from then on. Good luck!
  • dindakdindak Posts: 6,632
    Ya.. the 97s look bad in Consumer Reports also. They seem to the think the 98s are average reliability and ok though.

Thanx for the input. I will pass on the info next week.
  • blgrosblgros Posts: 6
    Bought my '01 Malibu LS last week. So far so good.

One question: I notice the temp gauge tends to run between the half way mark and 2 "ticks" hotter than half. Is this normal? Seems a little hot to me, but maybe that's where it is supposed to be.

Thanks.
    The late 99 Malibu with 3.1l engine are the best.

It already got the improved 170hp engine (can be checked by a letter in VIN). From 2000 there was a lot of small changes mostly to worse, including a tiny glove box (it used to be huge).

Additionally, a batch of engines with bad pistons was produced and installed in 2000 and/or 2001 models.
    Have a 98 Malibu. The temp gauge needle points exactly to middle most of time, goes up 1/2 notch only in city traffic during hot days.
  • haven't been on in a while, but I just hit 92,250 miles and I needed to get another alternator. Other then that, she is still runing very strong. It is almost time for my transmission fluid change and tune up. I'll post all the problems that I have had with the car later. Really not to many, but there were some. Anyone can email me if you want. Chevymalibu@unitedstates.com.
  • I have had a 98LS for over 3 years with 33K miles and only had to replace the front rotars three times. Now that it is out of warranty (since june) I have heard about the AC problem, I got it and I hear that there is a tail light problem. I've replaced the bulbs 2 times recently and they burn out right away. Any suggestions as to what to do since I am out of warranty? If the 97 and 98's have all of these problems, why don't they recall them and fix them?
  • Had the repair done for the leak at the intake manifold, had an appointment and it was suppose to be an all day repair but took about 3, took it on wednesday morning and got it back friday afternoon. Also had the flickering a/c fixed, now it seems to blow even colder even on the speed the light didn't blink on.

There is something verrryyy weird about the tires on our car. two of them seem to be low profile, but two don't, i checked the size/brand and they are the exact same, i just don't understand it.
    I hate to re-post a topic esp. as minor as this. Does anyone have a LS? If you do,do you have a coin holder? If so, did it come with the car? If not, can you recommend where I can get one?

Thanks

P.S. 2300 miles and going strong. 31.5 mpg last tank probably about 26-27 this tank.
  • I have a 2001 Malibu with the 3.1 engine that makes a ticking noise at cold startup.Please refer
    to message # 539. I would like to learn the source of your information concerning defective pistons in the 2000 & 2001 3.1 Engines. The Dealership's Service Manager said they would replaced my engine . He also stated the noises I was hearing was common to all 3.1 engines. Before I go having an engine replaced I'd like get few more facts. Note Engine has 11,000 miles to date.
    Thanks, Sparky 51
    I would check the NHTSA web site for TSB (technical Service Bulletins) They are issued by the manufacturer to the dealerships describing remedies for problems a car may have. I'm sure if he is offering to replace the engine, it must have been directed by Chevrolet.
  • I have a 2001 LS and I don't have any coin holders.

I don't really need coin holders, but I"m suprised they were available in the base model.
This discussion has been closed.