Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2000-2011 Chevrolet Malibu

Comments

• bc60bc60 Posts: 17
    I don't know about the malibu's were you live but here in Virginia, the non-LS malibu's have black rocker panels and black mirrors. I can't speak for all years of malibu's though.
  • wilfj1wilfj1 Posts: 52
    As I understand it, regardless from the side or the back your out about $1500.00 Can. or is that off the mark? wilfj1
  • A semi through a real stone and did a number on my windshield on the long weekend. Just turned 1000km, oh well could be worse. Took it to dealer to have replacement done under my insurance. I was told not to wash the car or travel on the highway for 24 hrs. Also leave the door window slightly open. Done all that : next day washed the car and cleaned the windshield. The new shield has a defect right in the centre and can only be picked out with the sun/ bright light on it. Well when I returned to the dealer... wasn't there when you picked up the car !! and the installer would have picked it up... etc etc. wasn't till the parts manager looked at it and simple said" defective glass, replace it". It seemed to me the body shop was running for cover.... So far my 02 Malibu has not been a happy experience, no fault of the car. Is there a greater risk of a water leak with two shields installed within 10 days ? The body shop says no, sure hope their right.
  • Wilfj, sorry about your windshield. I had mine replaced a while ago, and haven't had any water leak problems with it.
  • Thanks BCMALIBU for your response. If it's done right I sure it will be fine. I drove my 91 Lumina on the same highway for 11 years and not a nick on the glass. I noticed from day one with the Malibu far more bugs that I every had. Also the stone hit the grill first and bounced up to the shield. I inquired in the Parts dept about a front defector, Plastic type, not a Gm stock item. Try Cdn tire... Bu seems to have a very lowww profile could this be the reason for the Shield catching all the junk from the road and I wonder if the defectors real help? parts dept said can't hurt as long as it's installed correctly avoiding paint damage.
    Sure is deer season on the road, never seen so many... getting close to heat time ?
  • try driving at night through Texas, New Mexico and Arizona. Your car would look like a certified bug killing unit :-)
  • dtownfbdtownfb Posts: 2,915
    I tink PA has all of those states beat for bugs. One trip down the PA Turnpike will have you begging for a water pail and squeegee.

Another way of tellingthe difference between a LS and non-LS: LS has alloy wheels.

18,500 miles on my 1 year, 2month Malibu and nothign to complain about except for the lousy tires and too small fuel tank. But getting 29 mpg on the highway sure is nice.
  • Forgive me for asking, but what's the difference between alloy and "regular" wheels in appearance and function? Do alloys improve driveability? Last longer? Have better structural integrity?
  • I own a 2000 Chevy Malibu LS approaching the 59,000 mile threshold. Does anyone have any suggestions for long lasting wet traction tires. I have to contend with the "florida ice" so I was thinking Aquatread 80,000 mi., but they are pricey. Does anyone have any suggestions? I would really appreciate it.
  • Steve, I have Aquatred IIIs. These tires have the best traction possible - AA - and 80K miles warranty. They are indeed not cheap, but you do get what you pay for, and since tires are so crucial in braking and maneuverability, let alone comfort and noise, I think this is not where one should look to cut corners
  • dtownfbdtownfb Posts: 2,915
    The regular wheels have a plastic hub cap with steel wheels. Steel Wheels tend to be solid while alloys have 4-6 spokes. I'm not sure if the alloys improve the ride or handling of the car but they do look much better.

RE: tires. Before you buy the Aquatread III, you might want to look at www.tirerack.com or find a back issue of Consumer Reports. If i remember right, you cna find tires that handle the wet stuff just as well as the Aquatread and they are much cheaper. Personally, I am not sold on Goodyear tires. I think they charge a premium price because of their name in auto racing. People tend to buy their products based on name alone. But this is just my opinion.
  • Speaking of tirerack.com, guess which tire tops the chart in the survey of all-season tires? The same tire which leads all other tires in the survey in such categories as: dry traction, wet traction, hydro resistance, and would buy again! Who is the winner???

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/as.jsp

dtown, any other tire you know of which offers AA traction and 80K miles warranty?

• Just wanted to follow up on my earlier post of my tire purchase. Found a happy medium with Continenta Touring LX with 70,000 mi warranty on sale for 62.99 a tire (215 60 15 size). I've had them for almost a week and driven in fair weather and in Florida downpours with the famous Florida Ice afterwards. I must say these tires are light years ahead of the Affinity's that the Malibu originally came with. I feel like I am on a cloud as they absorb every divit and asphalt imperfection in the road. Extremely surefooted handling on wet pavement as well. I must recommend these tires to anyone looking to change out those sub par firestones, as these Continentals are a GREAT value.

Other notes on my car:
    At the 59,000 mile mark my 2000 Malibu LS is performing nicely giving me about 26-29 miles a gallon. Only complaint is the warping of the brakes, which was expected, but at $19,500 with all the goodies (Leather, sunroof, gold, CD) I can live with more frequent rotor service, as opposed to paying thousands more for a midsize import.

Today I'm having the Serpentine belt change and the fuel filter replaced which should definitely help mpg. As long as you do oil changes every 3-4 thousand miles, this car will run like a dream. I hope this helps, and any comments or suggestions would be graetly appreciated.

Stevenyce
  • Stevenyce... who makes the touring lx ? Did your firestones give you 59000 miles ?
  • My '99 Malibu LS has been very reliable so far. Went thru the standard drill with the A/C controller and blower resistor.

Still have original rotors (and tires) at 89K kms (55K miles) I think the main trick here is to use a torque wrench on the lug nuts. I don't let anyone with an impact gun near my ride.

Anyway, I am hearing occasional 'chirping' sounds coming from the front suspension. Usually over small road imperfections at moderate speeds. I greased the front stabilizer bushings as per the TSB but still no joy.

Ideas, anyone?

Regards, Al.
  • hengheng Posts: 411
    There seems to be a mounting body of dis-satisfied drivers that report symptoms of vibration and pulling indicative of belt failures in Continental tires. I hope this doesn't happen to you but I want to temper that endorsement.
  • Hey Haunts

I had some noises coming from the front about 1.5 years ago. I had the chassis lubricated, and the noise was gone. Is that what you did? If not, maybe lubing the chassis would help. BTW, the noise has not returned.
  • The Affinitys actually gave me 59,000 mi, they might have given me a few more thousand had I had them aligned more often than I did. The touring LX's are made by continental.

As far as for belt failure, I guess I'll just have to wait and see as there can be defects with any tire. The Continental's were a great deal with a nice long 70K warranty, so I should be covered.
  • Just had the 01 Malibu LS's first anniversary since I bought it.
    No problems.
    Have 13000 miles. Changed oil 3 times, rotated tires the 2nd time.
    Happy with the car, the way it drives and everything. Getting usually about 23 MPG, but close to 30 on the highway.

I guess the 15000 mile service is coming up. Dealer recommends oil and filter, rotate tires, check alignment and flush the transmission fluid. $199.

Not sure if it is all necessary, but i'll do as they advise for now.
  • blgros.... sure seems early for changing trany oil at 15000 miles, unless your pulling a trailer. The other services would be in order, in my book. If you changed the transmission at every 15000, that's 4 times before the warranty runs out, sure seems excessive.
  • flushing tranny fluid at 15K is way too early. The dealer went too far in wanting to pay his mortgage a bit sooner :-)
  • dindakdindak Posts: 6,632
    Don't flush.. waste of money. Way to early on that.
  • Well, everyone says 15K is too soon, but what is the mfg. recommended interval? I thought dexcool coolant was 100K only, nothing less. Then again, last oil change @ 57K mi. they told me I needed to flush it. Please clarify.
  • joe3891joe3891 Posts: 759
    I would not run Dex-Cool over 3yrs or 40,000 miles,there has been a sludge problem with some model engines.
    I changed mine with Dex-Cool for under $12,it can be purchased at Walmart
  • Joe, how did you drain your coolant? How did you dispose of it? Thanks!
  • joe3891joe3891 Posts: 759
    Drained the radiator first, already had a drain hose on it,nice of GM.

Next drained the block,inline 4 cyl so 1 drain plug,a V will have 2 one on each side,drained into a pan.

Flushed system twice with only water.I have never got the right mix the first time,50/50 but no big deal I just adjust it.

The old coolant went down the sewer drain.
  • I know for some of you that follow this board closely or who are familiar with the Malibu and/or GM cars and brakes in general this won't be much news to you...

I guess call me blissfully ignorant. Mostly, my wife and I have owned and driven Accords and Civics. But 3 years ago, I was enticed by the low payments and went with a 2000 Malibu on a 36-month lease.

My problem - the brakes. With about 33k miles and just under 2 months left on my lease, the front brakes need replaced. Now - here's the blissfully ignorant part - I've never heard of brakes going out that quickly. My '97 Civic has 72k miles and never so much as a squeek or rattle from the brakes - ever.

The Malibu has not been driven hard and my wife, who drives the car daily, is your "typical" female driver who never drives fast or stops aggressively.

My main frustration is the triple-screw GM puts on you here. One, basically worthless brake pads installed at the factory. Two, they call this "normal wear" so it's not covered under warranty. Three, they want $220 for new pads - on just the front!

I brought up the Honda comparison to the service tech. His reply? "Oh, I know. I have a Honda and a Nissan and it's basically the same way"

I hate piling on American cars, but this is exactly the type of thing that leaves such a bad taste. Needless to say, this added to a few other annoyances with the car has ensured that I won't be re-leasing or purchasing a GM auto.
  • Hey, Joe, isn't it illegal to flush coolant, oil, etc down the toilet?

AMC, consider yourself lucky, 33K miles for Malibu's front brake pads is not bad at all! I had mine replaced at 22K, and I am sure many people would consider ME lucky :-) Too bad, but that's how GM keeps the original price so low - by installing cheap pads.
  • I had a feeling somebody was going to tell me 33k was pretty good for Malibu brake pads and that I was lucky :-). Like I said, I was completely ignorant to the poor quality of brakes they put on this car since I've never owned one.

Still doesn't make it any easier to get over the $220 they quoted me. I'm gonna end up taking it to some brake shop. Should be able to get it done for under $100. Especially since I'm turning the car over in a couple of months, I sure don't want to put any $ into it.
This discussion has been closed.