Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2000-2011 Chevrolet Malibu

Comments

• dtownfbdtownfb Posts: 2,915
    I'm sorry about my response. i didn't realize i was doing so much Intrepid bashing. I have the unfortunately pleasure of knowing 4 people who owned Intrepids (previous model) that transmissions died before 100,000 miles.

As far as space, styling and price, the Intrepid is a good buy. I do wish you better luck then you had with your Malibu.

malibu99 - Please don't tell me when you buy that Pontiac aztek. I don't think I could refrain myself. Get the Rendevous instead...PLEASE!!!!!!
  • dindakdindak Posts: 6,632
    Actually the re-done 02 Aztek is not that bad. Check out the picture on Edmunds.
  • malibu99malibu99 Posts: 305
    heheheh Ok I'll tell you I got the Rendezvous instead, heheh. dindak is right, the 02 Aztek is nice, I was one that made fun of it when it first came out, but I saw the salsa model at the show and now I love it ;). I was aiming at the Trailblazer but the price climbs up quickly with options, so I am getting a semi loaded Aztek. Go ahead make fun of it, I actually find it fun to make fun at, it's different. Kinda like the kid with huge eye glasses and braces back in grade school.

I think njdevilsm was refering to the posts that Intrepid was Chrysler garbage, not your post. But that is just my take.
  • av8r4av8r4 Posts: 2
    It has been a while since I posted my last message here in Malibu country. We now have the car in Korea, after 20,000 miles of European driving.

Wish I could say the Maliblue has improved. On the bright side, the car never disappoints us as far as some new or recurring ailment! While the brake problems seem to have vanished over the last year (11,000 miles), I figure that is because here in Seoul we never get over 50 mph due to the horrendous traffic. Maybe constant stop-and-go is the remedy(?)

The AC control head problem is way beyond the abilities of the local GM folks, so I may just order one from the states. There is a customs glitch which plays havoc with importing some warranty repair parts. If I order it on my own no problem, but dealers can't ..go figure.

We are now into the "burning brake light syndrome." The parking garage attendant told me my passenger side brake lights were not working. Upon pulling the assembly, I found that the socket on one of the brake light bulbs had burned completely away.

So first thing tomorrow, I will squeak(due to the noisy, twice-replaced swing arm bushings)down to the GM folks and see if I can get it repaired.

On the bright side, we really do like the car. It is basic transportation with adequate room and nice style.
    I looked at the picture of the Aztek. I'm sorry but it looks like a Focus and Honda CRX (yes the car not the SUV) on steroids. Teh styling is just too busy for me. But to each his own. The price is quite attractive though.
  • Purchased my 99 Malibu in Aug 99 with 6K miles on it. Rear end bushings replaced at 13K, Coil and 3 spark plug wires at 22K because I was getting about 12 MPG, Brakes and rotors at 28k. At 34K, COMPLETE FRONT END (controller arms, tie rods, mount assembly, strut bearings, adjuster sleeve etc)which took dealer 3 times to fix, on last visit front wheel was almost falling off car because tie rod was not replaced correctly - this was after vehicle was in for the rest of the front end service - so it was not a new problem - ended up having to drive with the service mgr because they would not believe me - said it was my TIRES!!! Which were only 8,000 miles old. Ended up being caused by "poor machining" what ever that means. This week @ 44K miles, check engine light came on for a faulty gas cap and yesterday @ 44K Low coolant light came on - back to the dealer again only to find the cap on the coolant reservoir tank was defective? - unbelievable. I've owned several Cheverolets over the years and have noticed a degradation in quality ever model year.
    I doubt this car will even make it to 75K - thank GOD I bought the extended warranty. I know they are completely different vehicles but My old 1969 Chevy Nova ran flawlessly until I traded in with 232,000 on the odometer!! Why can't they build them like THAT anymore?
  • I have a 2001 malibu with 12000 miles on it it is a nice car but I get this hesitation at any steady speed every 3 or 4 miles just a little irritating, any ideas?
    So far I have 8000 miles on my 2001 Malibu LS. Never experienced any type of hesistation. check the Impala page. A Couple of people had problems with severe hesitation and they discovered that the computer handling the transmission had to be upgraded (just the program not the entire computer). And that fixed it. It was performed for free. Also I would check www.nhtsa.org under the technical service bulletins to see if there might be something there that fits your problem.
  • I have a 98 Chevy Malibu which after checking the power steering level this weekend I noticed it being a bit low. The trip to the local auto parts store turned up negative on the purchase of a pint / quart of "power steering fluid". One interesting comment that I received from the attendant was that this unit is Korean made and probably uses "Honda" fluid. There is a listing for "PS" fluid in the Quaker State book but short of going to a GM dealer (just can bring my self to getting dragged over the hot coals), does anyone know if this is true? Any response would be appreciated.

Thanks.
  • artwisartwis Posts: 66
    attendant. Check your owners manual for the type of fluid and go to a major car parts place and buy it. The "attendant" you talked to doesn't seem to have much knowledge about cars and parts etc. As I remember power steering fluid is checked after the pump has warmed up as the fluid expands with heat. I can't remember ever having to add any unless the pump was leaking. Also you could just go to your GM dealer and buy some. Don't think they will "drag you over the coals". If you distrust GM that much why do you drive a GM auto?
  • malibu99malibu99 Posts: 305
    It should use regular power steering fluid. Find another attendant, whoever told you it uses "honda" fluid is crazy in the coco. It's just power steering fluid. I don't have my manual with me because I am at work but you will find teh type in the manual. Also just stop by any GM dealer and buy a quart from them, they wont "drag you over the coals" unless you have them put it in and they might charge you for the service but buying fluid...no biggie.
  • yurakmyurakm Posts: 1,345
    dvc1492s:

I also have a 98 Malibu. The power steering fluid for the car is available at local Pep Boys.

When buying, I wrote down the GM number for the fluid, from the manual, and looked for the number at fluid bottles. There were several brands of fluids available. Cheap brands cost about $1, the most expensive about $2.50, so it does not matter. Personally, I bought the expensive synthetic blend made by Valvoline.

The car does not use much fluid. I bought the bottle 3 years ago, and probably did not spent even a half of it. So it must be cheap even at dealer.

artwis:

I have to add a bit of the power steering fluid sometimes. Every time when the steering starts squeal. Probably twice a year or so.

No leaks. However, I am parking at a very tight parking garage at work, and have to steer to the limits for about 10 minutes twice a day. You know, the kind of downtown parking garage, converted from an old apartment building. Narrow passages, tight turns, oversold, and packed to the roof. Literally: I am parking mostly on the roof, and sometimes cannot find a place even here.

All of this is taxing the steering, and the hot fluid simply evaporates somewhat. With such a use, I would buy a full-synthetic fluid, if available.
  • Hi, I'm considering buying a 2002 Malibu. I was wondering if anyone here has one and what they think of it? Has anyone else heard anything positive or negative about it? Anyone know where else on the net I can find first-hand reports on the 2002 Malibu?
    Any information would be very much appreciated.
  • My wife has the 2001 Malibu LS Gold Trim edition and loves it. No issues to date.
  • I own a Malibu 2001 and recently I've noticed a whistling sound from the engine. The pitch of the whistle is proportional to the engine speed (RPM). The sound is very noticeable at low rev levels (1000-2500 RPM), either because at higher engine speeds the engine noise drowns the wistling or because the pitch gets too high
    to be audible.

Is this something I should worry about?

Thanks in advance,

-florin
    I just bought a 2001 LS in July. Have 8200 miles on it and no issues except the small gas tank and tire nioise. Gas tank I can live with esp. since it only cost me $12 to fill the tank. I'll buy different tires when these are done plus I knew before hand that the Firesotne Affinity are average tires at best.

I like the total package of the Malibu. Lots of items on the LS are extras on other cars in the family sedan class. That along with the quiet ride and nice interior space makes it a great bragain. Now it's not as refined as the Accord, Camry or Passat (and now the Altima) but it doesn't cost near as much either. I was willing to sacrifice refinement and pay $3000 less for the Malibu.

Reliability has definitely improved since the first two model years. The only negative thing you can say about the Malibu is the styling is very ordinary or bland. But if I wanted excitement I wouldn't have bought a family sedan. I would have bought BMW or Lexus IS.

My 2 cents.
    If the whistling sound is proportional to engine speed, my guess is the accessory belt probably is the culprit. It most likely needs to be adjusted. I would have them check it out next time you have oyur car serviced. How many miles do you have on your Malibu?
  • >>
    If the whistling sound is proportional to engine speed, my guess is the accessory belt probably is the culprit. It most likely needs to be adjusted. I would have them check it out next time you have oyur car serviced. How many miles do you have on your Malibu?
    <<

It has only 6000 miles.

BTW, the first car I owned was a 4 cyl carburetor
    car, and I recall that when it made a very
    similar sound the cause was the alternator.

florin
  • joe3891joe3891 Posts: 759
    Could be a bad diode in the generator,have it checked out.
  • I have a 1999 Malibu with 56,000 miles. I have the same type of whistling sound. It's louder when you slow down or are stopped. Not really loud but a soft loud(if there is such a thing :) )

My husband believes it might be the alternator. Might he be right?

florin, if you have found out the problem would you please pass it on to me. Thanks.

Thanks

Scathey

-------------------
    I own a Malibu 2001 and recently I've noticed a whistling sound from the engine. The pitch of the whistle is proportional to the engine speed (RPM). The sound is very noticeable at low rev levels (1000-2500 RPM), either because at higher engine speeds the engine noise drowns the wistling or because the pitch gets too high
    to be audible.

Is this something I should worry about?

Thanks in advance,

-florin
    >>
    <<

It has only 6000 miles.

BTW, the first car I owned was a 4 cyl carburetor
    car, and I recall that when it made a very
    similar sound the cause was the alternator.

florin
This discussion has been closed.