Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2000-2011 Chevrolet Malibu

Comments

• yurakmyurakm Posts: 1,345
    I do not know. As well as I remember the car manual, it say "pressure test" every year. Not disassembling engine.

When I had the test, the external leak was found. The mechanic told me that there is no internal leak. I do not know, how he knows this. However, given I stopped adding coolant after replacing the gasket, he must be right.

I believe that oil analysis shows coolant in the oil, if it leaks into engine. Had read that the analysis costs about $20. Personally, never did it, though.
  • wwgljywwgljy Posts: 7
    I talked to the firestone manager today about the engine pressure test. He explained to me how
    the test works. He mentioned that the test should
    be able to tell if the external cooling system
    including the intake manifold gasket is leaking or
    not. (this implies that intake manifold is in the external cooling system. I guess since I really dont know how the engine cooling system works). Then I asked if the test can tell if the
    head gasket is leaking. He said it was hard to
    tell unless you do the coolant analysis or visually check the coolant. So far, no external
    leaking and no obvious internal leaking as the manager told me. I am happy. I will keep an eye on my cooling system for potential leaking and contamination. i probably need to find a service book to see how the cooling system is integrated with the engine. Thanks for your info. Weiguo
  • teoteo Posts: 2,508
    Any servicing GM dealer can pull up complete repair history records on your Malibu, by means of the VIN number.

Carfax.com can provide you with details whether the car was a Lemon, Manufacturer Buyback, etc. This is often a good place to check before commiting to buy ANY kind of used car.

You could have legal recourse if the selling dealer in fact sold you a Lemon vehicle and this was not disclosed to you at time of purchase.

Check your legal rights on this area. You could be the victim of an used car scam.
  • Hi, Malibu owners. I bought a Saturn SL2 about three weeks ago. It came with Affinity tires like the Malibu's. Sorry if this has been covered before; but, how do you like them? I am thinking about replacing them because I have read so less-than-flattering reviews of the Affinity--noisy, no rain traction, wearing out too quickly, etc. There is also the lack of goodwill associated with the Firestone name as well. Have any of you replaced yours? With what? Am I being dumb thinking about replacing 3 week old tires? Thanks.
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Posts: 854
    I can't wait for the 2004 Malibu!
    I replaced OEM Affinity at 37k. Was wrong not replacing them at 30-32k: the last summer they were unsafe in rain, and squealed when turning as slow as 15mph.

However, if not great, the tires were decent, touring style, while new. Inflate them about 3 psi above the manufacturer recommendations if you prefer more sporty ride. I would not throw away $400 or so they costs.

As to the Firestone goodwill, well, I replaced the Affinity by other Firestone. Firehawk SH-30. The SH-30 are probably the best tires for Malibu, especially in rain / on wet pavement. Know nothing about Saturn.
  • I have not had the car long enough to know if I'm having problems in the rain or in turns or whatever. I just know I don't read good things about them. I may wait a year or so, though, because I do feel dumb replacing practically new tires. Thanks for your input.
  • I have a 99 LS and I have a situation with my transmission.

Every once in a while as I am shifting from "P" into "D" or from "R" into "D" and I start moving, I notice the transmission slips. It happens mostly if I shift too quickly. A mechanic buddy of mine says the transmission filter needs changed. The car has a little over 63K. If I shut the car off for a few seconds that seems to help. Any ideas?

Thanks
    The following link is in Russian, but picture is picture.

http://www.autonews.ru/news/html/newsline/index.shtml?/2002/03/18/30144

According to the article:

- it looks as wagon, with tailgate, but GM is considering it to be "a stretched sedan".

- GM is planing the new Malibu to appear spring 2003.

- it will be build on the Epsilon platform, but the wheelbase will be elongated 7" (18 cm),

- and it looks similar to the Opel Signum concept.
    Probably, you will get more responses on the following board:

"Transmission Traumas?" Mar 17, 2002 10:45am
    http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=4735&sid=178&n=156

compare to 2002 Opel Vectra:

www.opel.com

Sweeeet!

No more rental GM cars!!! Whoooho!

• malibu99malibu99 Posts: 305
    Do you know of any place where they might have a spy photo of the new Cavalier?
    Nope. The upcoming 2003 Saturn ION (Based on the all new GM Delta small car platform) should give you an idea of how the Chevy Cavalier replacement might look like. I believe the ION is to be released within the next few months.

I believe the Cavalier replacement is still delayed. Right now GM/Chevy are putting a great emphasis in the Malibu's replacement for 2004. The Opel Vectra/Signium (Built on the all new Epsilon platform) will be the basis for the all new 2004 Malibu. This car is getting rave reviews in Europe and as far as interior design and exterior looks, the car is as good or better than the current VW Passat, which is the benchmark in the class. I am looking forward to this truly new World class Chevy car when it becomes available in the Spring of 2003.

The next generation Opel Astra is the current runner up replacement for the aging Cavalier. However there have been conflicting reports as to what Bob Lutz' next move will be to address the lackluster small car offerings at GM NA. Originally, the Delta platform was slated to be the basis of the next Cavalier/Astra, but later on other reports stated that our Chevy Astra will rather be built off the all new Fiat Stylo platform (Very beautiful car BTW)and the European Vauxhall/Holden/Opel Astra would be built off the Delta platform available in the '03 Saturn ION.

The Cavalier replacement was scuffled in Consumer Clinics back in 1999 and ever since there have been issues within GM as to how to go about it. To me the Cavalier problem can even be solved by importing the current generation Opel Astra which is a fantastic car, better than the Ford Focus in many respects.

So, in the end, most entry market level new GM products will either be Opel/Fiat derived. The era of "Americanized, invented here, made here" GM entry level products is officially over.

The new 2004 Malibu/Vectra will boast Audi/VW like quality interiors and sharp exterior European styling with German driving manners at a Chevy price!
  • seminole_kevseminole_kev Posts: 1,722
    while I share (some) of your enthusiasm for the Vectra making it stateside, it hasn't exactly been getting "rave reviews". But it should be, much, much better than the out going malibu. As far as the current Astra being better than the Focus in Europe, I don't believe I've seen anyone (other than you just now) say that. The Peugot 307 and Ford Focus are the leaders of that class. I am hopefull that the next Astra will be very competitive in the class and that it will be available stateside.
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Posts: 854
    From what I read, the OPEL Astra is going to be on a Fiat platform, while the Delta will be used on US comapcts; Ion/Cavalier.

The Ion is to be shown next week at the NYC Auto Show. Finally, the S series will die!
  • goatmealgoatmeal Posts: 11
    I have a 2000 buick century with the same engine as the malibu. I went to the buick dealer and looked at tsb 010601010a on his computer. It applies to 3.1 engines with the J designation.
    This is the eighth digit in the VIN.
    The tsb said that the ticking starts 15 or 20 seconds after the engine is started when cold.
    It says to replace the pistons on the effected engines. It also states that this is a customer satisfaction issue and will not affect the longevity of the engine.
    The dealer said to leave it overnight and they would listen to it in the morning when it is cold and make a decision. I have the feeling that they will do nothing but say that it is normal. The engine runs good and uses no oil. The ticking can not be heard from inside the car so maybe it is nothing to worry about. Anybody have any ideas on this?
  • pluto5pluto5 Posts: 618
    You might want to look at the following link related to piston slap problem with GM engines as the worst case senario:

http://www.angelfire.com/tx5/gmpistonslap/index.html

What a poorly done, distasteful website. It is a cyber rant or shall we say a hate site.

This dude could have done a much better job of posting relevant information without having to resort to the silly amounts of foul language.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    You got past all the popups to find something to read there? :-)
  • goatmealgoatmeal Posts: 11
    Thanks Pluto. that is a great website concerning piston slap. I learned a lot.
This discussion has been closed.