Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2000-2011 Chevrolet Malibu

Comments

• Options
    dpettyjodpettyjo Member Posts: 9
    Season Greetings to everyone -

Bought a '04 'Bu today. A dark blue LT with just about everything. Price was below the "TMV" and about 300 above invoice cost. They even gave me what I wanted for my trade-in. A very nice (and short) stay at the dealership.

Taking it from Dallas, TX to AZ on Friday with the family. I'll let you know how it went after I get back.

Thanks everyone for the opinions and insight.

Don
  • Options
    logic1logic1 Member Posts: 2,433
    Edmunds seems to think they are not available on the Malibu.
  • Options
    snaabsnaab Member Posts: 74
    i forgot to make the album public. sorry. so please try the link in post #3216 for pics of our maxx. sorry again.
  • Options
    bcmalibu99lsbcmalibu99ls Member Posts: 625
    3261, not 3216 :-)
  • Options
    How come Malibu's speedometer only has either miles (if sold in US) or kilometers (if sold in Canada)? I know GM saved a dollar per vehicle this way, but get ready to be nailed with speeding tickets, if you cannot convert miles into kilometers (and vice versa) and travel across the border
  • Options
    to source a different speedometer for Canada and the US. Could be Canadians have complained they do not like our standard cluttering up their speedo and vice versa.
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter with a national newspaper would like to interview someone who considered one of the new domestic pass cars (Buick LaCrosse, G6, Ford 500, Mercury Montego, Malibu) but ultimately decided on Toyota, Honda or Nissan. Ideally, it’s someone who’s been driving an import brand and just couldn’t make the switch back to domestic for whatever reason. If you fit what the reporter is looking for, please email Kirsten Holguin at kholguin@edmunds.com by 3/31/05 with your contact information including a telephone number.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    Very nice. Very flexible interior layout. This should be a nice car for long distance driving.

Does it also come with hide-a-way 4 wheel discs to confuse the testers at Edmunds?
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    Yes, I did, when I was car-shopping earlier this year. The Accord has a nice interior, at least in beige. But the one I drove had the usual 4-banger shake in gear at idle, plastic wheelcovers, all the usual things that people seem to overlook in their devotion to that make. And as for bland styling; I dunno if I would call the Accord bland so much as unattractive. I couldn't live with it. For me, it simply wasn't an attractive value proposition.

I would recommend you reread any number of comparos on this site. There definitely seems to be a certain slant to their views.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    snaabsnaab Member Posts: 74
    good observation about the km/miles speedometer. however, just like cadillacs and corvettes, the speedometer can be changed easily from MPH to kilometers by switching the units from english to metric via the computer located with the radio. doing this will also change the outside temperature display from F to C.
  • Options
    dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    bcmalibu99ls : Yup, I noticed the km/h only when I drove. Like Snaab says, you can switch to MPH using the info center controls. It's quite cool!

snaab : Great pics thanx. Just like the one I saw last week.

ab348 : I won't say the editors are anti-GM, but I do think they are very pro Honda, Toyota and VW. Those 3 can do no wrong.
  • Options
    rwisemrwisem Member Posts: 96
    Ha! Glad to see someone else that can be objective about the mighty Accord. I've owned them and know many who still do. Good cars, but not nearly as perfect as proponents say.

The Edmunds comparo is full of good info, but it's a case like writing qualifications for a job to match someone you want to hire. I could make a few changes in the criteria, correct the disc brake blunder and have a more charitable position on design and rate the Malibu up around 3rd or 2nd. Remember, this is a close group. Even Edmunds said the last place finisher had redeeming qualities.

And what about the fact that the Malibu V6 gets better mileage than the compitition's 4's. Oh, yeah, this is a comparo of 6's.
  • Options
    You mean if you switch through a computer, the speedometer will start reflecting miles, not kilometers, and vice versa?

But this would screw the odometer. If you have 50,000 on the odometer, it may mean either 50,000 kilometers or 50,000 miles (which is 80,000 kilometers, by the way). How would people ever know, especially if you kept switching your computer from miles to kilometers?

Unless, of course, the odometer automatically changes also, every time you switch the speedometer...Does the odometer change?

And, in any case, you can fool a prospective Canadian buyer by showing 50,000 on the odometer and claiming it's 50,000 kilometers, not miles (which is 80,000 kilometers). Up until today, I'd be very easily fooled by a dishonest seller, since I'd have no clue you can switch speedometer and odometer (if that's the case) from miles to kilometers and vice versa
  • Options
    It very clearly shows MPH or KM on the speedo when you switch. The odometer was in KMs only.
  • Options
    I think about a third place finish of an actual production LT is possible.

When you look at the grading, the Malibu looses a lot on braking distance and interior fit and finish.

Braking distance with the production 4 wheel brakes will be much better. Interior fit and finish on an actual assembly line produced model will also be better.

Things like the feel of the electric steering, engine performance and materials used will remain the same.

I'll take the purported electric steering shortcomings for the fuel and steering fluid savings and the improved reliability gained by using an electric engine over a fluid pressure system.

Note that while Edmunds says the 'Bu 6 did not track test as well as the Altima and CamCords, real world results were great. Do family car owners spend more of their time on the track or out driving in the real world?

Materials finish are not going to be on par in a car that sells for thousands less than the top two or three.
  • Options
    exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    I think if Edmunds wanted to be responsible, they would have called GM and told them to send over a newer model, explaining that they received a possible pre-production version.

I think they were happy with the model they received. No-one wants a blue blooded American to overcome the mighty Japanese. That would be too gut-wrenching. Notice how Edmunds didn’t mention how GM works with UAW, thereby increasing the costs of production, while still having a vehicle priced well-below most of its competition.

I agree with all of you that the Bu deserved to be a higher place. In general I always found Ed. to be un-biased in comparos. This is disappointing.
  • Options
    The fact that a car magazine with editors that are suppose to be experts got the whole brake thing wrong tells me one of 2 things

1) They are incompetent
    2) They didn't care about the Bu and were much more interested in the VW, Honda and Toyota entries.

Perhaps a little of both but I suspect the second. They were given 10 cars and would have preferred to just have 5. It's a shame but while I don't think the Bu is number 1, it's better than 7 as a (to use their words) "Family Sedan" where value, utility, quality and refinement are key.
  • Options
    The odometer only shows kilometers? Then on American Malibus it must show only miles. Does it mean that when you switch your speedometer to miles, the odometer would still be counting kilometers?
  • Options
    alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    The top 7, heck, even 8... are all very good cars. It came down to a matter of scoring and preferences. One poster here said the that the Edmunds editors said the Malibu didnt shine on the track, but acquited itself quite well in real world driving. Great... but thats not a defense for the car, as this is generally the case with the Camry, which is regarded as the comfy, boulavardier of the bunch, and it finished 3rd.

Still, edmunds isnt a force to be reckoned with. They have plenty of details to finesse before I will hold their auto journalism in high regard. For me, I look at CR for reliability and "cars as point A to B" evaluations, and Car and Driver for the way cars make people feel.

~alpha
  • Options
    tgp1810tgp1810 Member Posts: 112
    What are the speed-sensitive wipers the brochure mentions?
  • Options
    rctennis3811rctennis3811 Member Posts: 1,031
    Yes, it is all a matter of opinion. Posters here, on the Bu thread, say their car is the best. Well, the Accord/Camry/Passat/Verona/Sebring/Sonata/Galant/Altima/6 people also say that their car is the best. Matter of opinion. Also, the comparo wasn't biased, except for the lack of discs in the rear...CAN'T THEY FIND IT!?! Frankly, I wasn't surprised with the results as it is probably what would happen if C/D also conducted it.
  • Options
    scored dead last in exterior design (SURPRISE!). Design something like a VW (which scored first in exterior design), and from the 7th place it would climb to 3rd or 4th.
  • Options
    you are missing my point. The, apparently pre-production 'Bu lost big points on objective criteria that would not be the same on a production model.

4 wheel discs will stop much better than the recorded time for the disc/drums. Interior fit will be better on a car made with the laser guided production line equipment as opposed to being bolted on by hand pre-production.

Who know what else may not be the same pre-production/production.

These would have upped the point count for the car. Without seeing Edmunds' points from a test of the Malibu you can actually buy, it is hard to say where the car would have placed.

I do agree with Alpha on track numbers though. The G6 is going to be the Epsilon track hound (well, along with the 9-3, of course).
  • Options
    bcmalibu99ls : You could switch between miles and Kms on the speedometer. KMs only on the odometer, just like any other car.

alpha : Edmunds needs to clean up it's reporting before I'd ever take it's reviews seriously. JD Power is best for reliability IMO. Some CR samples are too small and it's based on it's subscriber base only.

rctennis3811 : If this wasn't a FAMILY sedan comparo I might agree with it a little more. For families on a budget (most), Malibu should be higher on the shopping list IMO.
  • Options
    UM think about your logic: "JD Power is best for reliability IMO. Some CR samples are too small and it's based on it's subscriber base only."

CR has a much larger suscriber base than the TWO JD Power Quality studies that consist of 40,000 owners in survey groups. That, and CR allows you to review trends and reliability data for a make over the course of many years, and lets you form your own conclusions. Up until recently, JD Power didnt even disclose info for cars that were lower than the industry average. I take both into account, though I feel a clearer picture is portrayed by CR.

~alpha
  • Options
    regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    all the apologies. yeah, just because we think it should've been, lets give it #2 or #3 so we can still feel good about the car.

Be happy with the #7 finish. It really is about right.

even if the MARKET and PRESS were that generous, it still hasn't dethroned the Honda.

p.s. the MAzda3 would have placed higher.
  • Options
    Although reg is a bit obnoxious, I don't see this car doing any better than switching places with the Galant in this comparo. I don't really feel that 4 wheel discs would have caused a significant enough leap in performance to do this. And arent materials exactly the same as they are now? While I do agree that production models should be used, I dont feel that it would have made a significant difference in this comparo. That said... its one comparison.

~alpha
  • Options
    nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    I think this car is a solid #7, was intended to be about there, and GM succeeded! It's no better than anything else Chevrolet puts out.
  • Options
    Haha, I agree too. Even if it was a preproduction model, I doubt that the interior would have been better. The better braking distance from the rear discs also wouldn't raise its score. The best it would do would be to switch it with the Galant. Face it people: the Malibu earned 7th!
  • Options
    Not considering price, yes the car is a 6-7th. Factor in the the value / price and I think it's a lot closer to the top.

That's my point. Edmunds didn't feel the need to add that in and most families who buy a sedan do.
  • Options
    That's because most families are willing to pay more to get more, which is why they choose Camcords most of the time.
  • Options
    drwilscdrwilsc Member Posts: 140
    Did anyone notice in Edmunds comparo that the Sebring had the best brakes, stopping nearly 4 feet shorter than the next best car, yet in the subjective ratings (under 'Editors Evaluations') the Sebring was tied with 2 others for the worst brakes? Their explanation (i've seen it before in other publications) will probably be that the other cars' brakes 'felt' better, even though they had longer stopping distances. I say that's a pile of crap and it's far more likely it had to do with pre-conceived notions and personal biases. There is simply no other explanation for ranking cars with such longer stopping distances higher on the subjective braking scale than the Sebring.
  • Options
    drwilscdrwilsc Member Posts: 140
    Case in point: their beloved Accord stopped in 133.4 feet, which is 15.6 feet longer than the Sebring's stopping distance (117.8), yet it was ranked higher on the braking table than the Sebring (Accord was tied for 6th, Sebring tied for 8th). The Sebring stopped 4 feet shorter than the top rated (in the braking catagory) Camry.
  • Options
    You're obviously a dangerous malcontent. Why, everyone on the Internet knows that all Hondas stop "on a dime" from any speed, get fuel economy that is so good it often cannot be measured, and of course, never break down, ever. Edmunds is just confirming that fact. And of course, we all know that the Nissan Altima, which did almost as well, has the world's most handsome taillights, the world's smoothest and most powerful 4-cylinder engine, and an interior that is without equal. Your attempts to discredit these known realities by quoting objective facts cannot be tolerated... just think of the chaos that would result if people's beliefs were upset! ;-)

• Options
    apparently have serious engine problems. Check out msn.com - autos - used cars. While all Malibu's from 97-02 have "moderate problems" in the engine department, all Accords have "serious problems." Uh-oh
  • Options
    exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    "That's because most families are willing to pay more to get more, which is why they choose Camcords most of the time."

If they are willing to pay more to get more, why don't they all buy a Maybach??? Hey, you get more!

The Malibu base price so seriously undercuts that of the Cam/Cords that it puts people in the real world who could not have afforded a car in this class a chance to own one.

I don't mean to pick on you, but what you said sounds very elitist. People buy what they can afford, its basic economics the lower the price, the higher the demand.
  • Options
    tamu2002tamu2002 Member Posts: 758
    dindak:
    you're one of the real gentlemen on this board, no matter how childish and out-of-line people are. I detect an increasing amout of animosity lately, particularly from the other camp that doesn't think highly of the Malibu. Disagreement is fairgame, but the rudeness is uncalled for and not elite-like.

drwilsc:
    I completely agree with you--this thing called auto journalism has everything to do with preconceived notions! A few years back, there was a PR thing held by Hyundai. They wrapped up their Sonata (which I think is a very fine car, particularly stylewise) and Camry so people couldn't tell what make they were driving, and most people came away prefering the Sonota. The morale of this story is not that Sanota is necissarily better than Camry, it's that people are very much influenced by their perconceived notions.

exalteddragon1:
    I second. We are an example of people able to afford a car that otherwise couldn't thanks to the Malibu. I came freshly out of graduate school with zero saving, actually negative savings. My new job with a less than 30k salary was enough for us to buy a Malibu. To me, "value" was at least 85% of the equation not 20%. "What about resale value?" You might ask. Well, if you can't afford the higher initial price to bring the car home, what resale is there? Value will continue to be a big factor after I get that 85k job, although not to the same extent.

The bottom line is this: If you can truly appreciate the engeering superiority of the Accord or whatever, and think it's worth the thousands of dollars' premium, by all means go ahead and enjoy it. For the average Joe or Jennifer who rarely makes a turn at above 15 mph speed and does't know the difference between OHC and OHV or does't care, he or she would be doing himself a favor to testdive the various vehicles and find out for himself what he likes better.
  • Options
    I still dont buy many of the arguments I am reading on this board.

Regarding the Sebrings braking being 4 ft. shorter than the top rated Camry: Sheer stopping numbers, as someone noted, are NOT customarily the evaluation point when auto publications rate braking. WHY? Because modulation, control, and feel all play significant roles in braking. If it werent this way, why would anyone want to bother with ABS? We all know that cars w/o ABS, can, on dry pavement, skid to a halt in a VERY short distance. However, not being able to steer, lacking control... is a big issue, and thus, such short stopping distances, while empirically awesome, mean comparatively little.

dindak- you say "Not considering price, yes the car is a 6-7th. Factor in the the value / price and I think it's a lot closer to the top."

But edmunds.com includes 20% of the final rating as price.... I DONT understand your point.

People. Its ONE comparison. Its not even a good publication like CR or Car and Driver. Its NOT a big deal!!!!

The 'Bu is a good car, a good value, and the right car for many. But, just like the Accord, Altima, 6, Camry, etc.... not the right car for everyone.

~alpha
  • Options
    amen, alpha01
  • Options
    rctennis3811 : Perhaps you are not on a budget then. Most families are and perhaps if they can get a competitive V6 sedan for the price of a 4 banger Accord then they will. Keep in mind the old Malibu was not very competitive.

tamu2002 : Thanx. Malibu isn't the best car, but I think it's one of the best values. Many of the people trashing the Malibu have not even driven one which is the funniest part.

alpha : $3500 difference between the Malibu and the Accord tested. To me that is a MUCH bigger factor than Edmunds is making it out to be when buying a car. Maybe $3500 is nothing to you or some others here, but for a family on a budget it's a lot of groceries. Add in the higher insurance, gas bill and the difference grows. Consider the likely discount from $23400 in the Bu is likely larger than what you will get off an Accord and it's a very big difference. I realize it's not always possible to measure this stuff, but there is no doubt the Malibu is a screaming deal (for a very good car) in the sedan world.
  • Options
    rwisemrwisem Member Posts: 96
    Dindak, you're right. $3,500 IS a lot of money to a family on a budget trying to get the most car they can.

There's a couple of things in Edmunds that bother me, but are probably inevitable.

(1)Folks with more money trash cars they wouldn't buy because they can afford better. BMW owners belittle Acuras and Acura owners belittle Nissans and Accord 6 owners lord it over Malibus.

(2) self appointed "experts" who would never own a particular car spend way too much time on model boards telling us owners what trash we drive.

I still am waiting for more real owners to discuss this fine car. Many don't like the looks, But we've had several unsolicited favorable comments on the styling including one from an attractive young woman at a 7-11. My wife is so pleased with the new Malibu (had two of the previous generation) that she has begun to question the need to follow the plan for a CTS in two years. The gas mileage and performance are incredible.

Since I still can't understand why non-owners spend so much time in this discussion being critical, I can only assume they are jealous.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    And on that note, let me ask again that we confine our comments to the Malibu itself in this discussion, and take the comparisons to our 2004 Chevrolet Malibu vs. Alternatives discussion. That is EXACTLY where the debate about the Edmunds comparo should take place. See you there!

Thanks.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Some off-topic and/or argumentative messages have been removed.
  • Options
    Interesting note here about the future powertrains for the Malibu. Both a hybrid power source and a CVT on the way. Note the latter part of the article where it says that in 15 years or so we'll be driving fuel cell vehicles.

http://email.gmcanada.com/corpdb/cachq/pressrel.nsf/7a15ac9c7647f- b7985256790005e5a02/48651b0babe9b30085256df3006fc349?OpenDocument

• Options
    deminindeminin Member Posts: 214
    I usually check this discussion about once a week. Once in awhile there is a real gem..post #3321 is a classic! I keep hoping that this discussion will turn into a good dialogue between people who actually own or are considering Malibu's. The host (PAT) seems to be trying to move these conversations into the proper direction, but with limited success. I remain optimistic, however, and ocasionally I see a post that actually meets this topic.
  • Options
    dpettyjodpettyjo Member Posts: 9
    Made the trip from Denton, Texas to Yuma, AZ (about 1200 miles) in two days. The 2004 'Bu LT ran very well. Average mileage for the trip was 30.5 mpg (average speed was 70 mph - Some areas was still 65, others at 75).

Only problem that I am going to have the dealer look at is a rattle in the headliner above the front passenger seat next to the sunroof. Otherwise the car ran really well. Great mileage, very good handling at 75mph, and very little road or wind noise.

Heading back tomorrow before getting ready to head off to Iraq. New car was for the wife since I am going.

Many thanks to everyone for the hints and opinions.

Don
  • Options
    You're going to Iraq!?! Thanks for protecting our country!!!! :)
  • Options
    I am glad you were able to get in a nice trip in the new car with your wife before you go.
  • Options
    micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    ...and remember Black Hawk Down. It's NEVER too hot to wear the flak plates front AND back, to wear the helmet. Stay safe!
  • Options
    Do you know when Edmunds readers will get to vote for their choice of top vehicles for 2004? I see the editors' version is out

Thank you
This discussion has been closed.