Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2000-2011 Chevrolet Malibu

Comments

• malibu99malibu99 Posts: 305
    I have the LS with leather ( no sunrrof though). The leather is of good quality. I have a habbit of using leather cleaner and conditioner every week on the leather and it still feels and smells new. I know once a week is probably overkill but I really pamper my cars. But in short the leater seats are great, cold as hell in the winter but great! :-) Good Luck, you'll love the car!
  • I have both in my 99LS. No problems with either.
  • Stay far away from the older models. I just got rid of my 97 after 105,000 miles and about 25 trips to the dealer. Bought the after I fell in love with it, brought it home with only six miles. The waste was in the shop after 2 weeks and 1000 miles. The car was a lemon from the get go. Brakes three times (under warranty) transmission at 17,000 miles plus a multitude of others. Mostly driveline and suspension problems. Struts,rotors, seat covers and doorpanels.Power steering hose broke at about 20k, picked it back up a month later and it broke again 3 days later. Went through 2 hoses pump and rack and pinion on that trip. What got me was you take it in and they call you tell you it's ready 3 weeks later and the door panels and seat cover are nowhere near the right color. The dealer left the trunk open in the rain and it had about 2 gallons of water in it when i picked it up. After 17 visits to the inbred dealer where I bought it and went somehwere close to home they managed to fix every problem on the first visit within two days. Don't even think about trying to get gm to buy it back went through that 3 times with no luck. Oh yeah let's not forget the straw that broke the camel's back. Was making a slight knocking noise at 105,000 miles. Changed the oil and the next day the hunk of metal is about to throw a rod. Still oweing $9000 on it no wasy i'm going to put $2000 more for an enigine.
    Just got back from a 830 mile round trip from NJ. I'm am so happy with my gas mileage, I got 38 MPG on the highway at 70 MPH 90% of the time and at 60MPH 10% of the time. Great traveling car. Now all i need is to get her clean again from the rain and dirt :-(.
  • yurakmyurakm Posts: 1,345
    Wow! Fantastic mileage!

Especially in NJ. I believe, it is very hard to drive in the "Garden State". They are always complaining about traffic on NJ highways. People do not complain so much about I-95 in the CT/NY area, nor about the route(s) from CT to the JFK airport. NJ must be much worse.

When I measured the highway mileage with my 98 Malibu last summer, it was 31.5 mph, as well as I remember.

Well, I have a heavy foot. And never tried to save gas: I like the feel of accelerations. But, any case, this is highway, not a city. I believe, my wife would get 10% better mileage (she always gets), but not 38 miles per gallon.

Did you use cruise control?

About my test. It was a short trip from New Haven, CT to the border of Vermont and back by the I-91. Very nice route: hills and low mountains farther to North. Roughly 4 hours the both ways, including a half-hour stop.

It was a hot summer day. Air condition on 3. Moderate to heavy traffic about 60% of distance, heavy one in/around Hartford CT, and Springfield MA. Traffic became light soon after Springfield.

Average speed for the trip was 65 mph. Down to 50 mph in Springfield, higher in light traffic, but I kept the speed less than 80 mph all time. In our places it is normal to drive about 10 mph above the posted speed limit, with good road conditions. But more than 15 mph above is generally considered speeding.
    Yea, I used the cruise control. I didn't get exactly 38 but more like 37.7 or so. This was the same gas mileage I got last year. Do you live in Western MA? I used to live there (Amherst) and now I live in the Boston area. But yes, my little "old fashioned archaic" 3.1 V6 gets me great gas mileage and great performance. I love it :-)
    Thanks!

We have no cruise control with our Malibu, so I cannot test it. But I consider the 31.5 MPG a very good mileage, especially with my driving style.

We live in the Southern-Central CT, not in Western MA. Town of Hamden, a bedroom suburb just north of New Haven. My wife and I both work in the downtown New Haven.

But we like to drive around and, had criss-crossed MA several times. From Pittsfield on the West to Boston on the East, and to its suburbs, like Hingham, and up to Newburyport.

The hills and mountains of the Western MA are gorgeous!
  • iusecadiusecad Posts: 287
    not from Florida, I trust your numbers!

;)
    Ahhhh no not Florida!!! :-). Although I'm going to do a recount, hehehehhe.
  • L8_ApexL8_Apex Posts: 187
    ...have been removed for language not in accordance with the Participants Agreement.

Thanks,

L8_Apex
    Sedans Host
    Concerning the 30k mile service: the following is abbreviated data from the dealer print-out.

04/28/00; mileage 30.191

Job 1 - change oil and filter. Total $21.95

Job 2 - 30k mile service. Inspection: fluids, battery, exhaust, belts, engine timing, etc., etc.
    replaced: PCV valve, fuel filter,
    cleaned: air filter, brakes.

Labor $63 +
    parts: fuel filter $24.38,
    pcv valve $5.48
    brakeclean $5.38
    total parts: $35.24

total labor+parts $98.24

Job 3 - [skipped] free.

Job 4 - Fuel injector: clog with fuel deposits. Flush and clean.

Labor $57 + parts $ 32.95 = $89.95

Job 5: replace drive belt.

Labor $31.50 + parts $53.81 = $85.31

Job 6: Clean and adjust rear brakes. $31.50

Job 7: Rotate and balance $29.95

Misc: Environment / waste $3.82

Tax: $21.66

Total: $382.38

As you see, the oil change and tire rotation costs more like $50-$55 with tax than $40. The bulk of service, though, was with the belt an injectors, plus PCV valve, brakes etc. and the thorough inspection.

The service prices looks a bit on higher side for me, but nothing out of this word. Given this service was performed at dealer (usually more expensive), and Connecticut is generally expensive place, it looks OK for me.
    belt and injectors
  • teoteo Posts: 2,508
    Great detailed posts...but, don't waste your time replying to those racial motivated posts ;-)
    Looks like I missed something nasty here? Glad i did. Yurakm, whatever it was you don't have to explain yourself to people, Good luck man! :-)
    I did not answer on the personal insults, nor to what you named racially motivated ones (in reallity they were not racial, and even not ethnic, but rather on the country of descent). First, it would be nonfair to respond on the removed posts. Second, this is off-topic.

But there were some points in the postings, genuine related to Malibu. This was concerning the maintenance items / costs for this car, its reliability and the service of Chevrolet dealers.

For example, the car manual calls only to oil and air filters change and tire rotation at 30,000 miles, plus inspection of fuel tank, cap and lines. This was what my opponent pointed on.

But GM recommends also to inspect the car twice a year, not depending on mileage. It was natural to combine the inspection with 30k mile service. After thorough car inspection by mechanic it was found that the car needs some other services after 3 year and 30k miles. The most expensive of them were injector cleaning and belt replacement.

I believe, the services are rather routine. I believe also, that the info can help other owners of Malibu to form right expectations concerning the costs.
  • adc100adc100 Posts: 1,521
    The belt replacement and injector are not normal. First of all even though the little ribs on the belt fall off they will go for 100,000 miles. those 3.1 engines are bullet proff, very fuel eficient and have exceptional power.
    Thank you!
  • I have 38,000mi on my '99 Malibu. The fuel gauge stopped working last week, and then the 'check engine' light came on. I assume the two are connected. I am getting it looked at, but I was wondering if anyone else has had the same problem.
  • I had my fuel gauge stop working, my windows wouldn't roll up or down, and the radio wouldn't work, and also my check engine and check battery lights come on. This happened on my '99 Malibu a few months ago. Turned out to be a frayed electrical wire. Was fixed quickly. Dunno if it's the same problem u have though.
  • amos7amos7 Posts: 6
    So let's get to the bottom line.

If a good friend was thinking of buying a new 2001 Malibu, would you recommend it or not?
  • teoteo Posts: 2,508
    Probably you can. After almost 5 model years the Malibu's main "Bugs" should already have been worked out by now. Apparently '99 and on models seem to display better reliability. The only reason that has kept me from gain any further interest in the Malibu is the lousy safety records of the N-body platform. The Grand Am, Alero and Malibu all are derivatives of the N-body platform. Based on my own experience GM's "Better cars" are the Bigger and sturdier W-Bodies, the Large H-Bodies and the Cadillacs sedans. GM's entry level cars, the J-Bodies and N-Bodies are not the best of the bunch and seriously outclassed by the stiff competition in the sub-compact and compact segments. Hopefully GM will discontinue the J and N body cars in just a couple of years with world class platforms (Delta, Sigma,etc). Until then, the Malibu, cavalier, Grand Am and Alero just don't cut it much anymore.
    I would recommend Malibu to a friend, if he have kid(s) and is looking for a car in $15-20k range.

Price range, because for extra $10k he could buy a bigger, better car.

Kids, because Malibu is sedan, with big and convenient rear doors, seats and trunk. For single, the Olds Alero is probably a better choice - due to the 3.4l engine.
  • aniazianiazi Posts: 39
    I bought 2001 LS and I recommend it. I compared Accord, Stratus, Malibu. Based on my needs like I love good features and Malibu was offering all I want in my price range. Plus resale and customer satisfaction of chevy is better than Dodge. Details in the brochure also impressed me as in that they explained everything in detail and it seems like they are so much focused to build a quality reliable car. I test drove all the cars but bought Malibu LS. Most of the bugs have been gone that earlier models were experiencing. Now only time will tell how is 2001. But I strongly think I am on safe side otherwise I wouldn't buy it as I don't have money to buy a car for testing. I have 2k miles now and so far perfect.
    Crash rating for front is good(4 star) but side impact is 2 star for 2000 (don't know about 2001) its up from 1 star on 99 or earlier models. Although it has side impact beam.
    If anybody buying in Austin, TX then I would recommend go to Champion Chevrolet. Their customer service and service dept before and even after the purchase is extra ordinary great.
    Especially Alex pena who worked there. I don't know about others but I guess everybody there is good.
  • I second yurakm. Don't feel alarmed by teo's comment about its safety records -- it got a good rating by Edmunds.

My family really love our 1997 LS model. The bugs had been ironed out in the first year. I have tried another car such as Accord, Camry, and Taurus but they were too small for my tall size frame.

Enjoy shopping!
    In a heartbeat! I would recommend the Malibu to anyone. My 99LS has been trouble free, very reliable, quiet, very very fuel efficient, nicely designed, comfortable, great acceleration, and I could go on and on but you get the picture. God luck!
  • Just wondering what brand/type of engine oil you guys use on your Malibu's--I've got the 2.4-Liter Engine.

On another note, yes, I would definitely recommend the Malibu to a good friend!
  • amos7amos7 Posts: 6
    Thanks for your responses!

I just bought a blue 2001 Malibu (also in Austin, also at Champion Chevrolet).

I've only had it for one week, but so far I love it. It feels like I got my money's worth.

My only regret is that I didn't opt for the remote keyless entry. I wish I had. Anyone know about getting this installed after market?
  • aniazianiazi Posts: 39
    I guess circuit city people or best buy can install it. My friend in California told me he went to circuit city to have keyless entry and theft alarm installed for his car. As far as I remember they charged him $250-$300 or so. Dealer might be expensive but I don't know.
This discussion has been closed.