Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2000-2011 Chevrolet Malibu

Comments

• malibu99malibu99 Posts: 305
    How do i post a picture? I have the pics of my car and I wanted to post em but I dodn't know how :-(
  • Okay, I need to know if I should buy a 2001 malibu or not.(LS) I live in toronto,canada and the dealer has alot of them on the lot. I figure that to its past history( rotors, service, etc) I have been driving a Honda civic, which I fine lacks power. will I be happy buy a domestic? and Malibu at that.. I test drove the 2001 and like it! can anyone share their thoughts
  • teoteo Posts: 2,508
    Did you also test drive the new Impala?
  • yurakmyurakm Posts: 1,345
    This is your decision.

Though, because you asked the owner opinion: I like my 98 Malibu.

According to 2000 Consumer Research handbook, it looks as most problems with Malibu brake rotors were already solved in 98. I received recently the last handbook, for 2001, but misplaced it somewhere. Though, do not remember it saying anything bad.

And, according to the last Kiplinger magazine, Malibu is the "best buy" car in its price range.

Teo suggests you test-drive Impala. I tested both base one and Impala LS. Like the later very much. It is the best car in the next price range, according to the same source. I also would suggest testing it, if you have extra U$ 3-4 thousand to spend.

On the other hand, imho, the base Impala is only a so-so car. I like Malibu much better.

Though, probably I would look for a base Impala with 3.8l engine - the same as in Impala LS. Or Buick Regal LS, or Grand Prix GT with the same engine.

Very good deals are available now for the leftover 2000 GP and Regal. Like 5 year 0% credit with only U$1000 down. At least in USA, do not know about Canada. The deals are not available, though, for Impala.
    I would have to agree with yurakm in every aspect. I love my car and I wouldn't trade her for anything less. For 2001 there are a ton of improvements to the cars ride and braking system. Make sure you get the LS though becaue the base one ( same one that was at teh New Engl;and Auto Show) is just boring. A nice LS with the leather package and the sunroof still runs a lot cheaper than the Impala and it's very comfortable. I wouldn't worry about the rotors for these models, they changed those also. Test drive the Impala as well but to get anything that you would like you would need to spend the extra $3000 or so and if you can do it go ahead. Good Luck!
  • aniazianiazi Posts: 39
    I bought 2001 LS couple of months ago. I love the car. I have more than 1500 miles. I was comparing it with accord. I was having so much in Malibu LS compare to Accord for less. Accord V6 is expensive and LX needs more power. Plus people also gets problem with accord too. I talk to chevy people too about rotors and they told me 2001 has new redesign rotors, suspension and tires. Plus lots of other good feature. Buy LS if buying malibu. I read about the coin holder in 2001 and day/night switch on the rear view mirror above. Yes it has coin holder and switch for day/night mirror plus map lights on the mirror too.
    The 2001 malibu has the same exact radio unit as the Impala.
    They must have had the stripped down model at the show this past weekend. Perhaps the removed the coin holders. I notice that most of the cars had no knobs left. Kids steal them or break them off so I guess the Malibu at the show was not a good representation of teh car but atleast we know it's a great little car! :-)
    When the all new "Sigma" Malibu debuts in '03 or '04, it would be great if GM drops the 3400 V-6 as standard fare in the car. What do you think?
    Rented GrandAm with 3.4 v-6, when my Malibu was in body shop. The 3.4 is much better engine.

Currently the 3.1 have almost the same maximum power, but the torque curve of 3.4 is much better. Almost flat in the full everyday rpm range, 1800 to 4500 or so.

http://www.gmpowertrain.com/engines_cartruck/other/34_torque.htm

This translates in much faster acceleration. It is especially impressive on highways, up-hill. Malibu is crying for this engine.
    I hear GM is developing an all new engine for the the "Sigma" Malibu. It will be slightly "larger" than the 3.4 but slightly "smaller" than the 3.8. I've grown used to the 3.1 ( my Beretta had it ) but I think a 3.4 or the new engine should be even better. If I can find the link I'll post it or you can search through www.autonews.com.
    It should also be larger than the current version. Can't wait!
    Have you had any further problems with the brakes on your Malibu? How's that Regal doing? Sweet ride eh?
    The Malibu shares the same platform with the Alero/Grand AM, GM should make the 3400 an option on the Malibu. How about a Malibu GT or Malibu OSV?
    The 3400 V-6 on the base Impala. In despite of the added weight, the 3400 has a very good torque curve and still moves this car with verve. I can only imagine how good this engine must be in the lighter N-cars.
    No future problems with brakes, it is 15k miles already after replacing the rotors. Frankly, it was not a real problem then - a couple hour work, if not less. I was only unhappy to pay, more than $400, and especially expecting this will be not the last time.

Replaced recently the worn-down original Firestone Affinity tires by Firestone Firehawk SH-30. Already 10 days. Like much the new tires.

The Regal is a wonderful car. Quiet power, very smooth ride, excellent visibility, very comfortable, and a lot of toys and convenients. Still like to drive my Malibu. Especially in city: very nimble car.

Concerning the weight: Malibu is not so much lighter, than Impala. Do not remember exactly, but something like 10% difference in weight.

Malibu is smaller than W-bodies, but not exactly a small car, just a smaller mid-size one. 3 inches difference in width and 10 inches shorter than Impala, the longest of W-bodies. 6 inches shorter than Regal, even less difference with GP.

The difference in width is noticeable, both inside and when driving in city. But I feel the extra length of Regal, only when parking in cramped garage.
  • I own a 2000 Chevrolet Malibu, and lately have been noticing a slight noise in the back suspension. It only occurs when I go over something like a speed bump. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem, and is there something out there to fix it?

I posted earlier that I was having problems with my front suspension. The car was riding real rough, especially over smaller bumps. I thought about what could be causing this, and came upon the only thing that could possibly be wrong. The tire pressure. Now, I did have new tires put on the car at 9,000 miles, and I have two flats in the back tires, both of which were plugged. So I was thinking that probably these places that did work on my tires, didn't think to check the manufactures label, to see what the recommended pressure was. So I did. It states that there should be 26 psi in the front, along with 29 psi in the back. So I checked my pressure and low and behold, I have 35 psi in three tires, and 41 in the other. I did deflate them to the manufactures recommendation. The car has made a complete 180. It rides very smoothly now.

If only I was smart enough to check the psi earlier.
    Yes, there is a real problem with the unusual 29/26 pressure. Technicians are overinflating the tires even at good dealerships, servicing a lot of Malibu.

I would even dare to say, it happens especially often in good dealership. They do not skip to inflate the tires with oil change etc., - but still do not remember the right specs and are overinflating.

See the posting #106 on this board. The problem hermama reported with his new Malibu suspension, most probably, also are due to the excessive tire pressure.

There is another, but related problem: the mechanics at local Firestone are suggesting to inflate the tire of my Malibu a bit more, something like to 32 psi front / 29 rear. Even when they were told about the manufacturer specifications.

Probably they are right: the tires I replaced recently were worn out mostly on shoulders. The same was with my other car, a Ford Taurus. Looks as this is due to my driving style.
    Do not know, if this just a typo or real mistake, but you wrote that GM recommends 26 psi front / 29 psi rear.

Just the opposite is right. The front tires must be inflated to higher pressure. 29 psi front / 26 rear.
  • yurakm: Thanks for the tip on changing the wiper blades. I changed both of my wiper blades last weekend. They work perfectly now!

malibu99: I, too, was at the New England International Autoshow on Sunday and was disappointed in the base Malibu Chevrolet had over there. I wish they could have had at least a Malibu LS over there, which is really a competitive domestic car. Both Honda and Toyota had their top-of-the-line Accord's and Camry's over there......

As far as the coin holders are concerned, from what I've seen on my dealer's lot, none of the 2000 and 2001 Malibu's have coin holders. If I am not mistaken, the design of the glove compartment in the 2000 model is also the same as that of the 2001 model. Personally, I do not understand why Chevrolet would change it as I really like the design of mine, which is larger and has a lock.
    Since you seem to have a good deal of knowledge on the W and N body cars...here is my question:

The Impala LS has a somewhat stiff, rough ride specially over uneven or broken pavement. The tires, Goodyear Eagle GA's are stiff and tend to be noisy. GM's recommended pressure (As per trunk's placard) is around 31PSI COLD at all four corners. That's my current setting. Do you think it is too much air pressure to begin with? I never carry more than 2 people in the car and no heavy cargo or trailers. What would be a safe bet for ride/handling comfort/economy as far as air pressure goes?

These tires seem to last for a long, long time, but when the time comes to change I think I am going to put some Michelin Pilots in there.

Appreciate your opinion and always enjoy reading your posts from a fellow GM fan!
This discussion has been closed.