Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2000-2011 Chevrolet Malibu

Comments

• mhgjr98mhgjr98 Posts: 6
    Hello to all...I have a 98 LS with 65,000 miles. I have had the car for over a year and I really do like the Malibu. Aside from having a new motor put in the first month I had the car, It had the famous piston slap syndrome, so GM replaced it. It has also had a few other minor problems, like the turn signal flasher going bad, and the alternator. Those Firestone tires had to go. I have Yokahomas on it now.

When I was at the local Chevy dealership buying that new turn signal flasher, there on the showroom, sat a nice shiny navy blue 04 Malibu LS. I really like the way it looks, I even picked up litarature for the car. As I was reading through the book, I noticed Chevy has changed a few things. First of all, there are 5 models now, Malibu,Malibu LS,Malibu LT, Malibu Maxx LS and Malibu Maxx LT. The Malibu LT has almost everything the old LS had, but you can only have leather interior, no cloth. Of course, the LT has in dash 6 disc cd changer, auto climate control, remote start, tilt/telescoping steering column, steering wheel radio controls, heated front seats. This list goes on. You can't have fog lights on the LS anymore, but I guess the new traction control makes up for the loss, and OnStar is an option on the LS. I do think Chevy did a great job in redesigning the Malibu.
  • dindakdindak Posts: 6,632
    Ya, saw it in February at the Toronto Auto Show. Also saw the new Equinox.
  • venus537venus537 Posts: 1,443
    two points about the article.

point 1: because a car has more problems does not mean it's of better quality.

point 2: the jd powers survey was based on the current malibu where it has had a long long time to work out the bugs on this aging platform. The camry and accord are just off of new designs.
    Very true, the JD Power study is based on the old model. That said, GM's recent car launches have gone extremely well which boads well for the new Malibu.
  • mhgjr98mhgjr98 Posts: 6
    Well, after reading the article that dindak had a link to, I will agree to most of it. But of course all new models go through a share of bugs that need to be worked out, just like the 97 Malibus had to. The part in the article that said the old Malibu was nobody's idea of a fabulous driving machine. I dont' think Chevy designed the 97-03 Malibus to be one. It serves it's purpose just fine, lots of room, plenty of power, and looks good. I will agree with dindak about the camrys and accords being off of new models redesign. I work at a Toyota dealership and the 03 camrys had their share of problems. Mostly just rattles and squeaks and moldings flying off of the roof. We will have to see how the 04 Malibus hold up during the first model year.
  • pluto5pluto5 Posts: 618
    Can anyone give examples of recent GM car launches that have gone well? I don't think the Trailblazer is a good example; any other examples? IMO best to wait 2-3 years til GM gets the bugs out of new product. BTW, I prefer GM products.
    The CTS, ION and Grand Prix launches have all gone extremely well. I know the TB had lots of issues though, but it was a truck. I was just talking about the cars.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Posts: 2,287
    Cadillac CTS. No problems of note compared even to the Japanese makes. But that is somewhat a different price range.

The Japanese USED to introduce new models in Japan first, improve them over the course of a year, and then and only then bring them to America (while they were still produced back home in the Japanese plants). They no longer do that. To some extent, it shows.

While I was busy posting, I see dindak snuck in. I am not sure it is enough time to say how the Grand Prix launched yet.
  • corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 4,007
    After reading the October Car and Driver's review, here's what I like about the new Malibu:
    - Great fuel economy
    - Fold-down front passenger's seat
    - Euro styling cues

What I don't like:
    - Black plastic mirrors
    - Rear drum brakes, no standard ABS
    - Ugly grille
    - Appears to have red rear signal lamps instead of the correct amber color

If the above dislikes aren't examples of "dumbing it down" for the American market, I don't know what is.
  • maxx4memaxx4me Posts: 1,341
    I dunno; I think fog lights are for looks only. I have them on my Vibe and don't think they do a darn thing in the fog.
    Rear disc are standard on the LT / Maxx models and ABS is standard on all but base 04 Malibus.
  • Can anyone tell if these fog lights make any difference in the fog? Do they really shine further?
    "I just have to say that blocking the availability of fog lights as an option for cheaper models ought to be illegal."

Making them available to motorists who leave them on all the time and/or use them as a substitute for headlights ought to be illegal.
    well, my dealer did not have a Malibu. Said it should be in next week. They are getting an LT, which means I can scope out the 6 cylinder engine. They said they also want to keep the car for a few days before selling it. I'll give my full report next week.
  • Well I'm still trying to dump the old hag. Just kidding. Well I'm kidding about the old hag part at least. Everywhere I go to trade it in either won't take a salvage vehicle as a trade or will only give like $100.00. I've decided that I'll just sell it on my own. I'm REALLY looking into getting a Jetta. That was the car I wanted first, but was unable to afford one. Judging by the prices of a used one, I'd rather put out the $$ for a new one. I thought about this hard and this is the decision I've came to:

1. I'm going to college in a year and I can't have somebody elses problems on my hands. I'd also be getting a 50K warranty.

2. If I'm gonna pay 15K for a 1 year old Jetta with 20K on the odo, I should just pay 16.5K for a new one. Then I know that it's been well taken care of and never abused.

3. VWoA (Volkswagen of America) is advertising great APR deals right now, though the end of September: 1.9 percent for 48 or 60 months (I can't remember).

Jeremy
  • Well, first of all this is the Malibu forum.

Second, you've been warned about VW reliability. I would trust a three year old Malibu of unknown origin over a new VW anyday.

But that's just me.

And I am no GM apologist. In fact, my next car may well be a Mazda.

Last of all, I can't imagine college expenses AND a new car to pay for. Again, just me!
    john: you're as crazy as 86. I think you are both in for trouble with your car selections. I'll stick with the Maxx.
    VWs are attractive but near bottom in reliability. My wife's friend's 01 Jetta is in the shop more than often. My buddy's 97 Jetta has been a disaster from day 1.

I think I'd buy a Hyundia before I bought a VW right now.
    The following design problems have been addressed in 2003 Golf/Jetta/Beetle models that affected earlier models:
    Window regulators
    Coilpacks (1.8 Turbo engine)
    Oil consumption (2.0L engine)
    Premature rear brake wear
    Premature tire wear

If you're going to college, you'll probably run up the 4 year warranty limit before you rack up 50,000 miles.
This discussion has been closed.