Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

8 mpg! why? '96 astro

96 Astro, passenger van. while replacing the fuel pump, the mechanic broke the crappy plastic holding the fuel gauge float. so now i notice the miles driven to know when to fuel up. and realized that i'm getting only 8.6 miles per gallon!

baffles everyone. no check-engine-light. no black or other smoke from exhaust. good fuel cap. no gas smell- so it doesn't seem to be leaking anywhere. starts easy, runs pretty well. doesn't over-heat. i drive like i have an egg under my gas foot -always. why is this????? i don't have money to fix the thing at some shop. my guy replaced the fuel pump for 200$ - including the new pump, so i don't complain much about the lousy fuel gauge not working. any ideas???

Comments

• This message is very old, perhaps someone can benefit.

This engine, the 4.3L Vortec has a "Spider" injection system, real junk IMHO, anyway that's not the issue here.

These engines typically break the fuel lines inside the intake manifold, the replacement part is called a CP Nut Kit , it is about $65 or so and is only some plastic hoses and quick connects.

2nd most likely, the FPR [fuel pressure regulator] is leaking.

Either one can be spotted as they will "wash" down the inside of the intake removing the black.

It's an easy job to remove the manifold top half and inspect.

DrVette