Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai XG300 and XG350

I was disappointed after reading these two
websites -
www.autonews.co.nz/newsdisplay.asp?NewsID=335 and
www.autospeed.com.au/A_0409/P_1/article.html.
The New Zealand site states that the XG300 for
their country has the European specifications,
which means a stiffer suspension. But still, in an
alarming way, it wallows over full-size suburban
speed humps and has a tendency to float over
undulating roads.
I hope this car isn't going to be another
mushy-riding Toyota Avalon - with no performance
built into the suspension.
A week ago, a Hyundai dealer gave me a brochure on
the XG300; he said the cars would be arriving
September 21. The brochure shows tire size
P205/65VR-15; that's the same width and wheel size
as the Sonata, which weighs 500 pounds less; tires
seem small for performance driving.
I love the looks of this car and the many safety
features, but I will not take looks over
decent-sized tires and a taut suspension.
Handling, in my book, is classed as safety, and is
near the top of my list. I'll have to wait and
see what the American version has before making any
final decision on this car. I must not be enticed
by its handsome looks and its plush interior. I
want a driver's car - that looks good; I hope I can
get both.

Comments

• justinjustin Posts: 1,918
    then, as much as I admire Hyundai, you should go out and get a Passat! Beautiful, powerful, VW handling, and reliable and safe as well! Can't go wrong with the Passat.

Just a thought...;)
  • Just checked out the details of this car on
    Hyundai's Korean website. I'm not into performance
    the way Profitt seems to be but I do like a car that can get out of it's own way. This seems to look like it will do just that and also have the looks and functionality. There is a Canadian review of this car at http://www.t-h-c.org that isn't too detailed but gives a good impression of a drive in it. Believe me, I'll be one of the first in the door at the showroom here in Columbus, OH when they arrive soon!
  • rea98drea98d Posts: 982
    I think the XG-300 is absolutely gorgeous (almost as good looking as a Jag ;-), but still, it's a HYUNDAI for crying out loud!

A Passat beautiful? Is there one styling cue anywhere on the car? It's a refrigerator on wheels!
  • I have a 00 Sonata that I bought last January and I have to tell you, They now offer the 10 year, 100,000 mile warranty because their cars have come a long way! The fit and finish, quality and so far the durability have been great on my Sonata! I took a chance when I bought mine but I'm glad I did because the current line of Hyundai cars are simply a good value for the price!
  • rea98drea98d Posts: 982
    Warranties are sometimes padded a bit to move cars out the door, but I'll bet it's nice to know you're covered til 2010. Best of luck with your sonanta, but I'll wait on real world results longer than 9 months before moving the brand over to my "good" list. Still, with the possible exception of the Tiburon, Hyundia does make some seriously good looking rides.
  • Not to start an argument or unrelated comment, the new Sonata has been out 1 year, 9 months since it was first released at the beginning of the `99 model year. I completely respect your decision to wait it out a little while longer just to see how the new models fare. I hope someday Hyundai will be able to leave their junky image behind them, maybe once the Santa Fe and the XG are out for awhile......
  • volfyvolfy Posts: 274
    P205/65VR15 typically carries a 94V Load Index, which translates to roughly 1500 lbs at maximum tire pressure. For a car that weights 3400 lbs, this load carrying capacity is plenty, even under hard braking and cornering. Mind you that Toyota Avalon, which also weigh in about 3400 lbs, rides just fine on P205/65HR15 having the same Load Index.

Hyundai could've gone to 225/60R15 which has the same overall diameter but with a slightly higher LI of 96V and about 100 lbs more capacity. It would've been more satisfying appearance-wise, but the load rating difference isn't big enough to matter. Besides, the increase in rolling resistance and unsprung mass probably won't justify the slightly better dry road holding of the wider tire.

My $0.02.
    On a different note, I understand why Hyundai tuned the XG300 suspension that way. I read somewhere that they are targeting the same demographics as the Avalon - male 35-50yr old with household income of US$60k. The Avalon has been described as out Buick'ing Buick. If the XG300 is to cater to the same clientele, the floaty ride is unfortunately obligatory.

I wish the XG300 would do well in the States, and I think it will. Maybe in a couple of years, Hyundai will see fit to broaden XG300's appeal to include those of us wanting a little sportiness to go with the luxury.

For now, I could probably fix XG's suspension with aftermarket componentry, but no real manual tranny - no bite.
  • aimanaiman Posts: 61
    From the pics i've seen i like the xg300. I'm sure it'll raise Hyundai's image a step higher.
  • Good to see you here Volfy. I agree with you about the tires/suspension. I wouldn't expect them to offer the XG with a completely manual tranny any more than you could get an Avalon with one. I used to enjoy driving, and driving a stick as well. I just bought my Echo with a 5 speed and love it but I'm on it 6 hours out of my workday in and out of traffic and miss my automatic sometimes. My wife just got a new job one mile from home so now I have an excuse to take the Sonata a day or two out of the week! ;-)
    I know exact what you mean. I've just recently relocated to Houston and am about to move to a new house that's 12mile/45minutes from work. While I'm sure that may not sound like much to a lot of folks, but I've being spoiled by 3mile/7minute commutes in the past. I don't really don't know how long my clutch leg will last before I give in and buy a slushbox. :-)

Maybe I will be looking seriously at the XG300 in a year or so.
  • I've been having a VERY difficult time obtaining a new Sonata w/ pkg 13. Ordered a 2000 6 wks ago, first they didn't have my color, then after looking for ANY color in 5 states decided I'd have to wait a couple of weeks for 2001. It's been more than a couple of weeks (as they quoted me) and meanwhile my poor Toyota is taking revenge on me for replacing her by doing her best to die. After badgering the dealer every few days they finally found me a 2000 w/ pkg 13 and I went there tonight to pick it up, only to refuse delivery. It was supposed to be pearl white and wound up being Noble white, which is the one color which is totally unacceptable to me. I suppose if you like the color it is fine but I absolutely hate it and I'm not spending 20 grand on something I hate. So I walked away from the car, disappointed again. And I'm back to waiting for a 2001. I DID get a brochure on this trip though and noticed the XG - are they going to be available in the US for 2001? if so does anyone know when?? and for how much? any good sites to check out for more info? I did look at Hyundai's own site and she sure looks good! Also if anyone has seen the 2001 Sonata GLS w/ pkg 13 anywhere near Long Island NY please let me know, you'll have a friend for life!
  • Just came out of my Hyundai dealer here in Canada today and sat inside the XG300.

Ohhh MYYYY GOdddd !!! Baby I'm yours.

Will test drive it Saturday over speed bumps to confirm suspisions as well test the Santa Fe.

Price on XG is 31,000 Cdn.($369.00 lease less tax 4650 down) No Sonata GLS Platinum or pkg 13 available for 2001 because of XG300's aggressive pricing and introduction. So consider if you got the Sonata pkg 13 or Platinum as a kinda Special Edition.

This XG has features that the most expensive Mazda, Toyota, Honda, Acura, Nissan doesn't have.

But again as I've been told it's a Hyundai (pronounced hun-die) by lunk-heads, and it won't last. Funny my 93 Sonata has 172,000 klms on it. Seems to still be lasting and looking better than most 93 whatever's on the road.

Hyundai released also new 2001 elantra. It borrows a lot of the XG's styling cues (my opinion). As far as anyone telling me that a car is crap before I personally test it. They can pound salt. I switched to Hyundai in 93, and for the dollar nothing compares.And it's getting increasingly better.

Ask the new Sonata owners if their cars bottom out easily or wiggle over bad roads uncontrollably like described in the posted mags. I personally don't think they do. XG's suspension is a mirror of the Sonata's with even more refinement.

Will keep you posted on my test drives.
  • How were those speed bumps?
  • giowagiowa Posts: 599
    Anyone interested in XG300 should get a brochure from dealer, look one over carefully on the lot, take it for a long test drive, and read over reviews by automotive press and others.

Tires: From the XG300 brochure... Curb Weight for both base and L shown at "3604". Volfy mentioned 3,400 lbs above. That is 204 lbs off. And I'm thinking curb weight isn't reflective of driver weight, full tank weight, etc. If you add 4 adults, full tank of gas, and luggage, you could quickly have the car over 4,200 lbs. Based on that not sure P205/65VR-15 a good choice. At very least there should be a tire/wheel size upgrade. Say to P225/60VR-16.

And note that the 3.0L V-6 puts out 192 hp at 6,000 RPMs and only 178 lb-ft of tq at 4,000 RPMs. Factor in the 3,604 curb weight and the standard automatic tranny, and the performance will likely be similar, if not worse, than Sonata GLS V-6 auto (and certainly worse than GLS V-6 manual). No gear ratios are given in brochure.

From '01 Sonata brochure... Sonata curb weight listed at a "mere" 3,069 (GLS manual) or 3,107 (GLS auto). Oddly enough, it shows base Sonata manual weighing in at 3,072. May have a typo here.

At least EPA rating for XG300 is 19/27. Sonata GLS auto is 20/27. GLS manual at 20/28.

Interestingly, while Sonata brochure says passenger compartment is 100 cubic ft and trunk another 13 cf, the XG brochure shows only trunk space (14.5 cf), with no mention of interior cf measurement. Wheelbase for XG300 at 108.3 vs Sonata's 106.3.

Interior dimension comparison:

Sonata XG300

Ft Head Room 39.3 39.7
    Ft Leg Room 43.3 43.4
    Ft Shoulder Room 56.9 56.9

Rr Head Room 37.6 38.0
    Rr Leg Room 36.2 37.2
    Rr Shoulder Room 55.7 56.2
  • giowagiowa Posts: 599
    Kind of surprised to see you hangin' out in an XG300 site. Don't you drive a newish Nissan Frontier pickup truck and a '99 base Sonata (I-4)? Are you interested in buying an XG300? Surprised to see you might be interested. You seem to like to buy or work on pedestrian, utilitarian models. XG300 is rather loaded, esp. L version. I haven't seen pricing data yet, but likely more expensive than even a loaded Sonata GLS V-6 w/Pkg 13 (i.e., everything).
  • Check my post in sonata forum #3.

As an adder.....this car is amazing! Didn't have a brochure to compare specifications, only went by my visual clues. However, side by side, the XG300 is larger than the Sonata only marginally. Trunk capacity is larger, cabin volume is more, car is longer and wider.

As far as those speed bumps, forget it. This car handled everything I could throw at it in a 2 minute test drive. Gravel, very bad railway tracks, really tight s-turns, dry and wet pavement. Suspension is very tight, very little body lean, very nice transmission shifting either manually (shich by the way is so cool) or automatically, using the silky smooth 5 speed.

The trip computor is realy neat, calculating your average speed, distance travelled, time travelled, distance to empty, fule economy.

The stereo is awesome...period.

The standard leather heated power driver/passenger seating is generous, supportive, comfortable, and very stylish.

The woodgrain enhancements remind me of BMW 740 at 50,000 less. Fit and finish is among the best. The cars style in my opinion looks like a lincoln LS/Infiniti Q45/something! It isn't a large sedan, and it doesn't need excessive power to get it moving. It moves out really smooth and passing power is readily available. Just ask the 300M owner, as well as the Maximum owner whose drool made unfavourable driving conditions, as to the XG's performance characteristics. It easily pulled to 160 klms on the highway, noise was very low, not undetectable, but very low. The car in my opinion could not possibly dip & dive as previously described unless it was driven at ridicules speeds into a 9" curb to produce such results. I would think any car at high speeds is going to produce some very uncertain results. If it was true, perhaps it was preproduction, cause the car I drove was probably one of the best performance sedans I have driven. I think Hyundai has retuned it suspension wise from anything tested and written about. I would not hesitate purchasing this car. It has features and abilities 50,000 cars don't. It just doesn't have heritage, recognition, or make people think " oh he/she's got money." But in my opinion owning and driving this fine machine will say that Ive got money, only I didn't have to sink it into the car to get such incredible value. Time will tell, but I'm gonna own one, just waiting for the Santa Fe and make a deal on both of them. I currently own a 93 Sonata GLS which has serviced me very well for 172,450 klms and still going strong. It, according to critics shouldn't look as good and even be on the road, but it still goes well.

The XG300 is the only model in Canada priced at $31,995 MSRP. The Santa FE GLS is $28,995 MSRP. Both can be bought for $1000 of MSRP. Both are more equipped than anything else on the market in and sometimes above that price range. Both are very good buys for the money.

Go test one soon, you won't be dissapointed.
  • The test drive I took wasn't 2 minutes, it was 25 minutes of an incredible sensation enlightenment!

How's that for descriptive?
  • teoteo Posts: 2,508
    Saw it for the first time at the South Florida international Auto Show in Miami Beach last saturday night. My first impressions on this car were very positive. The car seems to be a very well executed package and the price cuts into Honda and Toyota territory. The XG300 is a "near Luxury" car at a regular sedan price.

I have never been a fan of Korean products, but now there is a reason to visit a Hyundai dealership. Unfortunately this car as good as it seems for Hyundai and Korean cars in general, still has an uphill battle with public opinion who still believes Korean products are nothing more than crap. The car is a brand new model, unproven in North America...but if safety scores, reliability and value for the money prove otherwise, this car for sure will be the best import alternative to the dreadful and dull Honda/Toyota products.

Kudos for Hyundai for putting together a very tastfully done and beautiful automobile for a very reasonable price tag.

By the way, does anyone know if the XG300 is based in any way or form on the current Mitsubishi Diamante??? What's the story behind this model?

Also saw the Ultra Luxury Hyundai "EQQUS" sedan altough it had stickers on the windows saying that this car is "Not in production". Looked nice but reminded me of a late 1980's Nissan Gloria.
  • sonatafansonatafan Posts: 171
    What business is it of yours to criticize what a person would like to buy? I hardly think you know anyone here well enough to surmise what they do or don't like! I suppose you would put me in the same category as Volfy. I may have purchased my vehicles based on financial standing, which is something that can change quickly for someone. Is this criticism being brought over here from T-H-C? If so then it is definitly not welcome here.